PDA

View Full Version : Possible to install 2011 BL Keyboard in 2010 MBA?

2IS
Sep 25, 2011, 11:13 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows if this will work?

brand
Sep 25, 2011, 02:08 PM
Anything is possible.

stark4
Sep 25, 2011, 02:11 PM
not worth it.. just replace your old air with the new air.

JamesGorman
Sep 25, 2011, 02:13 PM

And if he dosent have the money?

And as for if its possible, it may be, but I think it would require quite a bit of work. Id look on websites such as ifixit to see if they have anything that could help you.

2IS
Sep 25, 2011, 02:27 PM

So if someone breaks a key on the keyboard, your advise is to buy a new mac? For all you know it could be a simple swap, which is essentially what I'm asking.

MultiFinder17
Sep 25, 2011, 06:50 PM
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2011-Teardown/6130/2#s26686

The 2011 Air includes extra connectors to power and control the backlighting system, in addition to the ambient light sensor in the display assembly. So while it may be possible, it is not easy or cost effective to do. You would have to purchase a new upper case (unibody+keyboard+trackpad), new display assembly, and somehow magic a connector onto the logic board. Not to put you off, but it's really not feasible.

dubels
Sep 25, 2011, 08:12 PM
So if someone breaks a key on the keyboard, your advise is to buy a new mac? For all you know it could be a simple swap, which is essentially what I'm asking.

That was not the question you asked. Had you asked "how do I replace a broken keyboard" then you would have gotten the right answer. It is possible but by the time you are done you basically paid for a new MBA. If you want to replace a keyboard with a 2010 model that is another issue.

2IS
Sep 25, 2011, 10:38 PM
That was not the question you asked. Had you asked "how do I replace a broken keyboard" then you would have gotten the right answer. It is possible but by the time you are done you basically paid for a new MBA. If you want to replace a keyboard with a 2010 model that is another issue.

No it's not what I asked, but I also don't know what is involved which is why I posed the question. For all I knew it could have been a simple "drop in" replacement just as a 2010 keyboard would be.

MultiFinder17 provided the details I was looking for (thanks) vs an over simplified "go buy a 2011 mba" answer. Now that I know it's more involved than I was hoping, I'll just stick with my 2010.