Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
Apart from my MPB, I also have a PC. A couple days ago I decided to try Linux, because I've never tryed it before. After installing Ubuntu on my PC, I was very suprised to see that it's very very similar to Mac OS X and I was wondering who's the copycat?

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Everyone copies everyone back and forth now a days. But MacOS's aqua etc GUI predates Unity.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Apart from my MPB, I also have a PC. A couple days ago I decided to try Linux, because I've never tryed it before. After installing Ubuntu on my PC, I was very suprised to see that it's very very similar to Mac OS X and I was wondering who's the copycat?

Who gives a ****.

For most things UI the mac came first. Multiple workspaces (Spaces or Mission control in lion) it originated on linux first, but then they took that from Sun's CDE and they had it off of SGI's unix. Get the picture?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Does it matter? I pick the platform that best provides a solution, I don't care if ubuntu has taken elements from OSX to make that OS easier to use, or if windows grabs some of the UI elements, or even if OSX steals some stuff

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
OK, first off linux does not equal Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a brand of a linux based OS.

Anyway, Ubuntu is opensource and free. If you really want to know go grab a copy of Ubuntu 7.04 and compare it to Ubuntu 11.04 and Tiger and Lion.

OS X's influence over Ubuntu is obvious. It's not exactly that Ubuntu is a free copy of OS X, in fact, it very much is not. It's just that Ubuntu devs seem to agree that Apple does a lot of things right and is simply following similar design theory and methods.

coteyr

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Both

As a linux and mac user and developer for both (not for apple just develop on both) I can tell you for 100% sure that they share TONS of code. They are also completely separate.

Truthfully you could probably go down the list of major features for both OS X and (let say) KDE and find that both are sharing and contributing code and feature sets back and forth.

Never forget that large portions of OSX are open source. What it really amounts to is this. When theres a good feature Who ever doesn't have it, implements it. Then MS bastardizes it ;P

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008

It was really bad when some versions aped the XP look and feel without actually having the same functionality. Led to lots of frustration, after all it looks like a duck should it not quack like one too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.