PDA

View Full Version : Question about iPhone 5 and T-Mobile

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2011, 09:12 AM
It looks unlikely that the iP5 will come to Tmobile officially, but there are reports that it may simply support the Tmobile bands allowing the phone to access Tmobile's 3G network.

If this is true, how will it work? In theory, one could buy the iP5 unlocked from the Apple store at an unsubsidized price, then what? Simply get a SIM card from Tmo and a data plan?

What if I'm already on an Android data plan? (Tmobile has different data plans for different phones, e.g., Blackberries get the Blackberry data plan, Androids get android data plan, etc.) Would my Android data plan simply work in the iPhone 5? Since there won't be any official "iPhone data plan".

Kyotoma
Sep 26, 2011, 09:14 AM
Your best bet if they do in fact get the iPhone in the coming weeks would be to ask T-Mobile. We don't have any information more than you do.

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2011, 09:26 AM
Your best bet if they do in fact get the iPhone in the coming weeks would be to ask T-Mobile. We don't have any information more than you do.

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to. In the mean time, it's possible someone has some better knowledge of the technicalities of how SIM cards work with iPhones. There are, after all, one million iPhone users on Tmobile currently. Perhaps someone has some more insight. It's possible no one knows either, but that's what forums are for. :]

gtgrad95
Sep 26, 2011, 09:31 AM
Current iPhone 4 on T-Mobile user here. I plan to do exactly that. Buy an unsubsidized factory unlocked iphone 5 (wife needs to upgrade her 3G, so she'll get my 4) and use my current SIM for service. I believe that T-Mobile is now selling micro SIMs that you can purchase, but if not, you can just cut your existing SIM into a micro SIM and you are set.

The support of 3G speeds would be a nice bonus, but I'm not holding my breath.

----------

As far as the data plan, you would just get a smartphone data plan from them.

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2011, 09:53 AM
Current iPhone 4 on T-Mobile user here. I plan to do exactly that. Buy an unsubsidized factory unlocked iphone 5 (wife needs to upgrade her 3G, so she'll get my 4) and use my current SIM for service. I believe that T-Mobile is now selling micro SIMs that you can purchase, but if not, you can just cut your existing SIM into a micro SIM and you are set.

The support of 3G speeds would be a nice bonus, but I'm not holding my breath.

----------

As far as the data plan, you would just get a smartphone data plan from them.

I see. Interesting. Thanks.

EDIT: Let us know how it goes btw, when the time comes!

macinnv
Sep 26, 2011, 09:54 AM
I dont think the T-Mobile 3G bands will be included on the next iphone. I would imagine ATT has a say in that since in 6 months that spectrum will be used for the LTE build out. You can get an iPhone for T-Mobile but will be stuck with 2G speeds.

Kyotoma
Sep 26, 2011, 09:56 AM
I dont think the T-Mobile 3G bands will be included on the next iphone. I would imagine ATT has a say in that since in 6 months that spectrum will be used for the LTE build out. You can get an iPhone for T-Mobile but will be stuck with 2G speeds.

The federal government is actively denying AT&T from purchasing T-Mobile USA. I honestly doubt AT&T will be using T-Mobile's spectrum now.

macinnv
Sep 26, 2011, 10:05 AM
The federal government is actively denying AT&T from purchasing T-Mobile USA. I honestly doubt AT&T will be using T-Mobile's spectrum now.

This is true but I would imagine the deal will go through but ATT will just have to divest part of T-Mobile as a concession.

Kyotoma
Sep 26, 2011, 10:18 AM
I guess it's still possible but I would hate to see it happen. It's not good for us consumers at all.

macinnv
Sep 26, 2011, 10:21 AM
I guess it's still possible but I would hate to see it happen. It's not good for us consumers at all.

I agree, my T-Mobile plan is so affordable that if the iPhone carried the 3G bands, I could buy one at full price and still save money over Verizon and ATT over the course of 2 years.

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, giving up the low cost bills from Tmobile (and the customer service) is difficult. I'm hoping either we get the iPhone 5 officially, or there's a way to work it out so users can still get Tmo's 3G. I cannot justify owning an iPhone stuck on 2G.

Agent-P
Sep 26, 2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, giving up the low cost bills from Tmobile (and the customer service) is difficult. I'm hoping either we get the iPhone 5 officially, or there's a way to work it out so users can still get Tmo's 3G. I cannot justify owning an iPhone stuck on 2G.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I want the iPhone 5 to be usable on T-Mobile's 3G bands (unless it supports LTE, then I'l' get it for AT&T or Verizon). I may have to buy it unlocked and unsubsidized if that's the case. But with my math I too save money over the course of the contract.

gtgrad95
Sep 26, 2011, 01:56 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. But honestly, unless you do a lot of surfing outside of wi-fi areas or streaming video, EDGE really isn't that bad for doing a quick lookup or downloading email.

vikingjunior
Sep 26, 2011, 02:00 PM
What really makes Edge workable is Opera.

macinnv
Sep 26, 2011, 03:10 PM
Looks like a T-Mobile executive responded to the iPhone today. 'The ball is in Apple's court'

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/26/t-mobile-90-percent-of-our-smartphone-owners-use-android-ball/

Looks like it squashes the theory that T-Mobile or ATT would want to purposely refuse the iPhone to make sure the deal goes through.

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah it looks like Tmobile won't be getting the iPhone 5 this year, as speculated.

I wonder what this means for the 3G bands... probably not good either. =T

msb3079
Sep 26, 2011, 03:40 PM

I'm not trying to be a butt... but you completely ignored what his question was.

Agent-P
Sep 26, 2011, 03:46 PM
Looks like a T-Mobile executive responded to the iPhone today. 'The ball is in Apple's court'

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/26/t-mobile-90-percent-of-our-smartphone-owners-use-android-ball/

Looks like it squashes the theory that T-Mobile or ATT would want to purposely refuse the iPhone to make sure the deal goes through.

Maye th iPhone 5 can support T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 bands! That would definitely make it worth it to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 seeg as on campus I get full bars of HSPA service. I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

komax
Sep 29, 2011, 10:28 PM
Maye th iPhone 5 can support T-Mobile's HSPA+ 42 bands! That would definitely make it worth it to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 seeg as on campus I get full bars of HSPA service. I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

Your wish came true!

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-will-be-an-hspa-capable-device-with-support-for-up-to-21-mbps-download-speeds-photo/

MizterKewl
Sep 30, 2011, 07:45 AM
So does that mean that you could possibly use an unlocked iPhone 5 and get at least 3g speeds with Tmobile? If so, if you had to guestimate how much do you think the new unlocked iPhone will cost?

profets
Sep 30, 2011, 08:16 AM
Your wish came true!

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-will-be-an-hspa-capable-device-with-support-for-up-to-21-mbps-download-speeds-photo/

Well, the speed is nice but we still need the AWS 3G/UMTS band added.

So does that mean that you could possibly use an unlocked iPhone 5 and get at least 3g speeds with Tmobile? If so, if you had to guestimate how much do you think the new unlocked iPhone will cost?

No... gotta wait and see if includes the AWS band.

Seadaisy
Oct 2, 2011, 07:39 PM
Well since it appears Cincinnati Bell will be getting the iPhone 5, can anyone confirm CB uses 1700/2100 for their 3G (i.e., use TMo's towers)? If so, that may answer the question. Though I guess we'll all know soon enough!

macinnv
Oct 2, 2011, 08:17 PM
Looking at the phones on their site it appears they use both t-mobile and ATT bands so im a bit confused. Their main android devices use t-mobile bands and actually rebranded t-mobile phones. Anyone else have more reliable info?

vazquez1085
Oct 2, 2011, 08:20 PM
I would be the happiest person in the world if TMO got the iPhone....FML :eek:

CBillups1
Oct 2, 2011, 08:28 PM
well no idea if it will support tmobiles 3g but if it did then thats good for tmobile users. too bad im switching from tmobile since its expensive and sucks

profets
Oct 2, 2011, 08:44 PM
Well since it appears Cincinnati Bell will be getting the iPhone 5, can anyone confirm CB uses 1700/2100 for their 3G (i.e., use TMo's towers)? If so, that may answer the question. Though I guess we'll all know soon enough!

Good catch.. They do supposedly use the AWS 3G band like tmobile..

dontwalkhand
Oct 2, 2011, 08:46 PM
Good catch.. They do supposedly use the AWS 3G band like tmobile..

That would definitely piss me off to find out that Apple would add Cincinnati Bell as an official carrier, but not T-Mobile! Why not add Cricket and not T-Mobile while you're at it? :mad:

onthecouchagain
Oct 4, 2011, 02:18 PM
So apparently, nope. No support for Tmobile 3G, if anyone was wondering.

MizterKewl
Oct 4, 2011, 02:26 PM
that sucks!!! i mind as well get a iPhone 4 and still use iOS5...all i would be missing is processor and camera *shrugs*... hopefully tmobile gets bought by SOMEONE soon...