PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who here uses a keyboard cover?

daonesteven
Sep 26, 2011, 09:11 PM
just so there's no selective bias, it would be awesome if those who don't also volunteer their input and explain why you don't feel the need.

Oppressed
Sep 26, 2011, 09:17 PM
I've actually used 2 silicone and 1 TPU cover and I loved the TPU cover, but ended taking it off because it distracted too much from the beauty of the industrial design of the MBA. Sure I see the reasoning for it and worry if my keys will show wear in time, but during that time I would like to enjoy the air itself.

It is the same reason why I had a lot of iPhone cases but settled on naked. You will eventually get a scratch on it, and it will eventually show wear, no matter what you do. Why not enjoy the design in the mean time instead of covering it with a big piece of plastic?

tanhm
Sep 26, 2011, 09:26 PM
great! I agreed, just enjoy the beautiful of Mac. I have used a lot of covers for both iPhone and Macbook Pro/ Air but still prefer the " sexy" one :D

I've actually used 2 silicone and 1 TPU cover and I loved the TPU cover, but ended taking it off because it distracted too much from the beauty of the industrial design of the MBA. Sure I see the reasoning for it and worry if my keys will show wear in time, but during that time I would like to enjoy the air itself.

It is the same reason why I had a lot of iPhone cases but settled on naked. You will eventually get a scratch on it, and it will eventually show wear, no matter what you do. Why not enjoy the design in the mean time instead of covering it with a big piece of plastic?

daonesteven

do you use one of those microfiber cloths for when you close your computer? I'm kinda debating whether to continue using this keyboard cover that I have or to just go commando and use a microfiber cloth instead...

Dresevski
I don't use one because I'm very used to the feel of the keyboard and its snappiness. Anything over the top makes it softer and mushy.

snorkelman
Sep 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
never have never will, gets in way of what I've paid for.

sukanas
Sep 26, 2011, 10:01 PM
i use the moshi style keyboard cover. definitely less mushy than the typical ebay ones. i use it cause keeping the keyboard cover on made me realize just how much random crap falls inbetween keys (which would ultimately go inside).

plus, if youre gonna cary the mba in the backpack, the keys will touch the screen either way. for that, i use the radtech cover. (i have used both w/ and w/out keyboard cover, experience w/ mbp unibody)

mrsir2009
Sep 26, 2011, 10:04 PM
Nah, it'd ruin the experience.

----------

i use the moshi style keyboard cover. definitely less mushy than the typical ebay ones. i use it cause keeping the keyboard cover on made me realize just how much random crap falls inbetween keys (which would ultimately go inside).

plus, if youre gonna cary the mba in the backpack, the keys will touch the screen either way. for that, i use the radtech cover. (i have used both w/ and w/out keyboard cover, experience w/ mbp unibody)

Dude, the keys don't touch the screen normally. See the rubber bit around the edge of the screen? That raises the screen enough so that there's a tiny gap between the keys and the screen,

daonesteven
Sep 26, 2011, 10:05 PM

can you fit both the radtech cover + moshi when the screen is closed? I was under the impression that you have to do one or the other, or nothing.

KPOM
Sep 26, 2011, 10:47 PM
I use a Rearth keyboard protector when I'm traveling on a plane. With the bumpy rides and cramped quarters, it seems like a cheap way to protect a pricey MacBook Air.

rosemary1
Sep 26, 2011, 11:07 PM
No keyboard cover here. I expect I would find it highly annoying, and I prefer my MBA nekkid. So long as you keep food/drinks at a distance, there's shouldn't be a need for one.

Brandon0448
Sep 27, 2011, 12:47 AM
Nope I absolutely hate them, they get in the way. I am just careful with food and drinks around my laptop.

aziatiklover
Sep 27, 2011, 01:06 AM
I just started using a keyboard cover on the MBA feels a bit weird, but I like it now.

VMMan
Sep 27, 2011, 01:11 AM
Use protection or pay the consequences

ABernardoJr
Sep 27, 2011, 01:20 AM
I'm planning on it, the last thing I want to do now is risk another spill of some sort when I could use a keyboard cover to reduce the risk considerably for a fraction of the price of the computer. :D

rhinosrcool
Sep 27, 2011, 02:26 AM
Since day 1 (Aug 29th), I have had the Moshi cover. It works great and really is so thin that I hardly notice it. Also, I have a CaseCrown case that keeps the lid from closing tight, so no marks on my screen.

Ever since I witnessed a friend ruin her MacBook Pro with a slight soda spill, I have used a cover. After a little experimentation, with my 2010 MBP, I have found that the Moshi cover is by far my favorite. Even though they are a little more expensive, they are worth it.

kamuix
Sep 27, 2011, 02:52 AM
i just have a radtech microfiber cloth on the keys. don't want the grease from my keys touching the screen. just playing it safe. :D

vader_slri
Sep 27, 2011, 05:44 AM
Where's the poll?

Bob Coxner
Sep 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
I prefer bareback. But then I never have drinks anywhere close by.

MultiFinder17
Sep 27, 2011, 04:56 PM
Nope, nothing here. After two years of heavy development on my Air, I have yet to do any damage to the keys, and even if I had, keyboards always feel better to me without any kind of rubber cover thing on them.

sl1200ltd
Sep 27, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hi, did anybody notice that it affect the sound from your laptop while using a keyboard cover. :eek:

daonesteven
Sep 27, 2011, 06:33 PM
wow i guess the overwhelming majority seem to be rocking naked keyboards. Ugh I'm so indecisive about whether or not I want to keep using this...I know if I throw this thing aside, out of sheer laziness, I'm basically never going to use it again =\

vitzr
Sep 27, 2011, 07:48 PM
I've been using these for years and they are simply terrific.

****************scJoW

High quality, perfect fit, very long lasting.

daonesteven
Sep 28, 2011, 11:50 PM
I've been using these for years and they are simply terrific.

****************scJoW

High quality, perfect fit, very long lasting.

yea i was going to get one of these if i planned to stop using my keyboard cover but since both won't fit with the lid closed, i'm holding off on it for now...

phantomsd
Sep 29, 2011, 12:19 AM
I am too using the Rearth kb cover... Barely even notice it anymore.

dzigg
Sep 29, 2011, 12:55 AM
I'm using a capdase brand right now.. it's not pretty and not that comfortable, but it get's the job done protecting the keyboard I guess lol.. Sadly capdase is the only available in the store here in jakarta .. :(

I prefer not using it, but planning on selling the macbook air IF there's a 15 inch macbook air released..

johnc22
Sep 29, 2011, 08:28 AM
Don't use one and not sure what the point would be . . . :confused:

The keyboard is one of the best I've ever used and any sort of cover would ruin that.

I figure after about 3 years my MacBook Air will be so obsolete that if the keyboard shows a little wear and tear it's just not going to be the end of the world.

iApple Mania
Sep 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'm definitely use it both silicone protector clear type and clothed with RadTech shagwire cover.

daonesteven
Sep 29, 2011, 10:22 AM
those who are using both a keyboard cover (moshi or whatever) and a cloth (shaggy or radtech, etc): does both actually fit when you close the lid? Through my research people have generally said that it doesn't fit quite well because the lid won't completely close and therefore you could only use one or the other?

iApple Mania
Sep 30, 2011, 01:41 AM
those who are using both a keyboard cover (moshi or whatever) and a cloth (shaggy or radtech, etc): does both actually fit when you close the lid? Through my research people have generally said that it doesn't fit quite well because the lid won't completely close and therefore you could only use one or the other?

Yes, they do.
Do not believe anything whatsoever you heard till you try it yourself.
Some people like one thing but other does not. Try it and choose your own.

keigo
Sep 30, 2011, 03:31 AM
been using one for years on my MBP and now using for my MBA also..

like to have the skin cause I can don't need to be mindful when using the keyboard e.g. my hand can be wet after hand wash or use my MBA while I'm eating something and I don't need to care if it will get wet or oily cause I can easily take out the skin and wash it....:D

striker33
Sep 30, 2011, 04:17 AM
I dont know why anyone without OCD would spoil such a magnificent keyboard.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can keep their expensive Apple gadgetry clean and pristine. Yeah, keyboards go all shiny after a while, so what? By the time that happens most people will be bored with it or want an upgrade (as in, people who actually use Macs for work, not expensive facebook viewers).

Good example of it is me using my iPhone 4 naked for a year, ended up with loads of hairline scratches on it but only visible under direct light. It developed a problem with the LED light, took it to the Apple store, and the "genius" was amazed at how good the condition of it was, even though I thought I'd trashed it.

So what I'm saying is, use it how it should be used, as Apple now caters to millions of mindless morons who only want the next shiny gadget so they look "cool". Shiny keyboard and a few bumps and scrapes? Someone will happily buy it off you for a premium in order to get that glamorous Apple logo.

Hey Jude
Sep 30, 2011, 05:35 AM
just so there's no selective bias, it would be awesome if those who don't also volunteer their input and explain why you don't feel the need.

I personally consider them a waste of money, and borderline OCD. I also use a wireless mouse/keyboard 90 percent of the time, so they're pointless for me.

I used the trackpad exclusively on a 2006 MB, and it showed very little wear after using it in this manner for two years, so Apple's trackpads are quite robust. I spend enough money on my Apple products, so I don't see the need for the outlay of additional funds on superfluous accessories.

clyde2801
Sep 30, 2011, 05:46 AM
I personally consider them a waste of money, and borderline OCD. I also use a wireless mouse/keyboard 90 percent of the time, so they're pointless for me.[...]

Does anyone else see the irony here, or is it just me? :rolleyes:

And I personally don't have a problem with the Moshi. Very thin and hardly noticeable, unlike the marware cover.

The decision is a bit more complex than calling each other slobs or fetishists. If you know you're hard on your gear, and want to keep it for a while, the protection makes sense. I like to whip out my air and use it on my lap. I also drink coffee. Having killed a couple of external keyboards this way, I'm a little ocd about a new laptop.

iApple Mania
Sep 30, 2011, 07:28 AM

And I personally don't have a problem with the Moshi. Very thin and hardly noticeable, unlike the marware cover.

The decision is a bit more complex than calling each other slobs or fetishists. If you know you're hard on your gear, and want to keep it for a while, the protection makes sense. I like to whip out my air and use it on my lap. I also drink coffee. Having killed a couple of external keyboards this way, I'm a little ocd about a new laptop.

Agree with you, it's absolutely !! YES !!

Even though we use it fully functional as it is designed for but there is nothing wrong to protect it, keep it nice & clean also look valuable all the time.

chazmink
Sep 30, 2011, 09:00 AM
I also use the Moshi. I think it is perfect. It never slips and is conducive to touch typing.

onthecouchagain
Sep 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
Typing on the Air is a pleasure. I couldn't imagine hindering that experience with a keyboard cover. I just try to keep it clean and am careful with drinks around my laptop (I rarely even have drinks near my laptop--accidents happen).

Northwestern
Sep 30, 2011, 11:22 AM
What do you think about this? Crumbler Slip for MBA 13" (http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?seite=non-bags&sprache=DE&productID=5971)

eTip
Oct 4, 2011, 12:13 AM

Nope, not just you. Thanks for the voice of reason. I am FAR from OCD with my gadgets - in fact quite the opposite. I use and abuse them and don't baby them. So, for ME it would be foolish NOT to have a keyboard cover on my Air or a case on my iPhone or iPad. Call me clumsy, sloppy etc. but don't call me OCD - heheh. I just don't get how people jump from "I don't like keyboard covers, they aren't useful to me" to "Anyone who would buy or use a keyboard cover must be a complete and total idiot and also worship satan". It's really a bizarre trend that I see so often in forums. Not sure if it's an inability to realize that everyone is different, a superiority complex or what. It's just weird to me.

Oh, and if you don't use a keyboard cover you must be a complete and total.....different person from me.

ABernardoJr
Oct 4, 2011, 12:51 AM
Nope, not just you. Thanks for the voice of reason. I am FAR from OCD with my gadgets - in fact quite the opposite. I use and abuse them and don't baby them. So, for ME it would be foolish NOT to have a keyboard cover on my Air or a case on my iPhone or iPad. Call me clumsy, sloppy etc. but don't call me OCD - heheh. I just don't get how people jump from "I don't like keyboard covers, they aren't useful to me" to "Anyone who would buy or use a keyboard cover must be a complete and total idiot and also worship satan". It's really a bizarre trend that I see so often in forums. Not sure if it's an inability to realize that everyone is different, a superiority complex or what. It's just weird to me.

Oh, and if you don't use a keyboard cover you must be a complete and total.....different person from me.

haha I've noticed it too. Maybe some people just want to decrease the risk of spills (even of just slightly) by using a cover and don't actually care about "shiny keys"? It amazes me how people get borderline arrogant about NOT using a keyboard cover. Not using neither makes you a superior person, nor does incorrectly assuming the motives of another who does. :rolleyes: And no, I'm not some life-long cover user, I've only realized how useful they can be just recently.

trixnrice
Oct 6, 2011, 04:21 AM
adding a kb cover will change the sound output from the speakers beneath. but imo, its a muffled sound, but a muffled sound that i like. although decibels go down, the highs (can be annoying with such small speakers and volume cranked up) also go down giving a false impression of more bass and midrange, and imho, it sounds more pleasant to listen to music with kb cover on. just my 2 cents. with that.
i have used moshi on my mpb, loved it, but it slipped a lot when had the the laptop tilted while lying down. Secondly, it developed that grease smudge over time (but can be washed). so now i just use some cheap black/white letter printed generic silicon kb cover on my mba, and it works just fine except the fact that the kb back lights have been nullifed :rolleyes: ...but then again i just take it off when i'm typing in dim light situations. so whatevers to that. get one, dont get one. its still an awesome freakn machine.