Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
just so there's no selective bias, it would be awesome if those who don't also volunteer their input and explain why you don't feel the need.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I've actually used 2 silicone and 1 TPU cover and I loved the TPU cover, but ended taking it off because it distracted too much from the beauty of the industrial design of the MBA. Sure I see the reasoning for it and worry if my keys will show wear in time, but during that time I would like to enjoy the air itself.

It is the same reason why I had a lot of iPhone cases but settled on naked. You will eventually get a scratch on it, and it will eventually show wear, no matter what you do. Why not enjoy the design in the mean time instead of covering it with a big piece of plastic?

tanhm

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
great! I agreed, just enjoy the beautiful of Mac. I have used a lot of covers for both iPhone and Macbook Pro/ Air but still prefer the " sexy" one :D

I've actually used 2 silicone and 1 TPU cover and I loved the TPU cover, but ended taking it off because it distracted too much from the beauty of the industrial design of the MBA. Sure I see the reasoning for it and worry if my keys will show wear in time, but during that time I would like to enjoy the air itself.

It is the same reason why I had a lot of iPhone cases but settled on naked. You will eventually get a scratch on it, and it will eventually show wear, no matter what you do. Why not enjoy the design in the mean time instead of covering it with a big piece of plastic?

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD

do you use one of those microfiber cloths for when you close your computer? I'm kinda debating whether to continue using this keyboard cover that I have or to just go commando and use a microfiber cloth instead...

Dresevski

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2011
Minnesnowda
I don't use one because I'm very used to the feel of the keyboard and its snappiness. Anything over the top makes it softer and mushy.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
i use the moshi style keyboard cover. definitely less mushy than the typical ebay ones. i use it cause keeping the keyboard cover on made me realize just how much random crap falls inbetween keys (which would ultimately go inside).

plus, if youre gonna cary the mba in the backpack, the keys will touch the screen either way. for that, i use the radtech cover. (i have used both w/ and w/out keyboard cover, experience w/ mbp unibody)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Nah, it'd ruin the experience.

----------

i use the moshi style keyboard cover. definitely less mushy than the typical ebay ones. i use it cause keeping the keyboard cover on made me realize just how much random crap falls inbetween keys (which would ultimately go inside).

plus, if youre gonna cary the mba in the backpack, the keys will touch the screen either way. for that, i use the radtech cover. (i have used both w/ and w/out keyboard cover, experience w/ mbp unibody)

Dude, the keys don't touch the screen normally. See the rubber bit around the edge of the screen? That raises the screen enough so that there's a tiny gap between the keys and the screen,

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD

can you fit both the radtech cover + moshi when the screen is closed? I was under the impression that you have to do one or the other, or nothing.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I use a Rearth keyboard protector when I'm traveling on a plane. With the bumpy rides and cramped quarters, it seems like a cheap way to protect a pricey MacBook Air.

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
No keyboard cover here. I expect I would find it highly annoying, and I prefer my MBA nekkid. So long as you keep food/drinks at a distance, there's shouldn't be a need for one.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
I'm planning on it, the last thing I want to do now is risk another spill of some sort when I could use a keyboard cover to reduce the risk considerably for a fraction of the price of the computer. :D

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Since day 1 (Aug 29th), I have had the Moshi cover. It works great and really is so thin that I hardly notice it. Also, I have a CaseCrown case that keeps the lid from closing tight, so no marks on my screen.

Ever since I witnessed a friend ruin her MacBook Pro with a slight soda spill, I have used a cover. After a little experimentation, with my 2010 MBP, I have found that the Moshi cover is by far my favorite. Even though they are a little more expensive, they are worth it.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
i just have a radtech microfiber cloth on the keys. don't want the grease from my keys touching the screen. just playing it safe. :D

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Nope, nothing here. After two years of heavy development on my Air, I have yet to do any damage to the keys, and even if I had, keyboards always feel better to me without any kind of rubber cover thing on them.

sl1200ltd

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
HK
Hi, did anybody notice that it affect the sound from your laptop while using a keyboard cover. :eek:

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
wow i guess the overwhelming majority seem to be rocking naked keyboards. Ugh I'm so indecisive about whether or not I want to keep using this...I know if I throw this thing aside, out of sheer laziness, I'm basically never going to use it again =\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.