Poll: Who here uses a keyboard cover?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by daonesteven, Sep 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

just so there's no selective bias, it would be awesome if those who don't also volunteer their input and explain why you don't feel the need.

2. macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I've actually used 2 silicone and 1 TPU cover and I loved the TPU cover, but ended taking it off because it distracted too much from the beauty of the industrial design of the MBA. Sure I see the reasoning for it and worry if my keys will show wear in time, but during that time I would like to enjoy the air itself.

It is the same reason why I had a lot of iPhone cases but settled on naked. You will eventually get a scratch on it, and it will eventually show wear, no matter what you do. Why not enjoy the design in the mean time instead of covering it with a big piece of plastic?

3. macrumors regular

tanhm

great! I agreed, just enjoy the beautiful of Mac. I have used a lot of covers for both iPhone and Macbook Pro/ Air but still prefer the " sexy" one :D

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

do you use one of those microfiber cloths for when you close your computer? I'm kinda debating whether to continue using this keyboard cover that I have or to just go commando and use a microfiber cloth instead...

5. macrumors 6502

I don't use one because I'm very used to the feel of the keyboard and its snappiness. Anything over the top makes it softer and mushy.

6. macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

never have never will, gets in way of what I've paid for.

7. macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i use the moshi style keyboard cover. definitely less mushy than the typical ebay ones. i use it cause keeping the keyboard cover on made me realize just how much random crap falls inbetween keys (which would ultimately go inside).

plus, if youre gonna cary the mba in the backpack, the keys will touch the screen either way. for that, i use the radtech cover. (i have used both w/ and w/out keyboard cover, experience w/ mbp unibody)

8. macrumors 604

Nah, it'd ruin the experience.

----------

Dude, the keys don't touch the screen normally. See the rubber bit around the edge of the screen? That raises the screen enough so that there's a tiny gap between the keys and the screen,

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

can you fit both the radtech cover + moshi when the screen is closed? I was under the impression that you have to do one or the other, or nothing.

10. macrumors G4

I use a Rearth keyboard protector when I'm traveling on a plane. With the bumpy rides and cramped quarters, it seems like a cheap way to protect a pricey MacBook Air.

11. macrumors regular

No keyboard cover here. I expect I would find it highly annoying, and I prefer my MBA nekkid. So long as you keep food/drinks at a distance, there's shouldn't be a need for one.

12. macrumors regular

Brandon0448

Nope I absolutely hate them, they get in the way. I am just careful with food and drinks around my laptop.

13. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I just started using a keyboard cover on the MBA feels a bit weird, but I like it now.

14. macrumors 6502a

15. macrumors 6502

I'm planning on it, the last thing I want to do now is risk another spill of some sort when I could use a keyboard cover to reduce the risk considerably for a fraction of the price of the computer. :D

16. macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Since day 1 (Aug 29th), I have had the Moshi cover. It works great and really is so thin that I hardly notice it. Also, I have a CaseCrown case that keeps the lid from closing tight, so no marks on my screen.

Ever since I witnessed a friend ruin her MacBook Pro with a slight soda spill, I have used a cover. After a little experimentation, with my 2010 MBP, I have found that the Moshi cover is by far my favorite. Even though they are a little more expensive, they are worth it.

17. macrumors regular

i just have a radtech microfiber cloth on the keys. don't want the grease from my keys touching the screen. just playing it safe. :D

18. macrumors member

19. macrumors 6502a

I prefer bareback. But then I never have drinks anywhere close by.

20. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

Nope, nothing here. After two years of heavy development on my Air, I have yet to do any damage to the keys, and even if I had, keyboards always feel better to me without any kind of rubber cover thing on them.

21. macrumors newbie

sl1200ltd

Hi, did anybody notice that it affect the sound from your laptop while using a keyboard cover. :eek:

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

wow i guess the overwhelming majority seem to be rocking naked keyboards. Ugh I'm so indecisive about whether or not I want to keep using this...I know if I throw this thing aside, out of sheer laziness, I'm basically never going to use it again =\

23. macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've been using these for years and they are simply terrific.

http://goo.gl/scJoW

High quality, perfect fit, very long lasting.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i was going to get one of these if i planned to stop using my keyboard cover but since both won't fit with the lid closed, i'm holding off on it for now...

25. macrumors 6502

phantomsd

I am too using the Rearth kb cover... Barely even notice it anymore.