PDA

View Full Version : Slight wobble... normal?

warfed
Sep 26, 2011, 11:20 PM
My new MBA has a slight wobble when sitting on a flat surface. The left front foot is slightly higher than the rest. I can slide a piece of paper under it without a problem. Is this a normal for this laptop or is this reason for exchange? I went to the store today and the tech tightened the screws... that fixed the problem for a few hours, but the wobble is now back.

JPizzzle
Sep 26, 2011, 11:44 PM
I had the exact same issue with mine. I was within my 14 days and exchanged it at the apple store. I would bring it in. You should expect your laptop to be level :)

Lock
Sep 27, 2011, 12:16 AM
I noticed this as well - also left front. I don't consider it an issue as it is only noticeable when I go out of my way to push down on that corner on a flat surface. It just feels slightly different.

I'm sure you can return it in the 14 days, but really, is it that big of a deal?

Nioxic
Sep 27, 2011, 12:22 AM
mine is 100% level..

so if i where you i would take it back to the store

vitzr
Sep 27, 2011, 12:32 AM
The base of the laptop is warped.

My original had the problem you described. When I called Apple, they immediately suggested I either return it (I ordered via Apple Online) or take it into a store.

Because I have an Apple store just two miles from home, I opted to take it in. The Genius was so familiar with this common problem he didn't even check it.

He immediately gave me a new one, the sales person did the exchange and I was out in less than 30 minutes.

aleni
Sep 27, 2011, 01:57 AM
maybe your desk is not really flat. try moving to another desk or another part of that desk and see if it's still wobbling.

warfed
Sep 27, 2011, 09:24 AM
I noticed this as well - also left front. I don't consider it an issue as it is only noticeable when I go out of my way to push down on that corner on a flat surface. It just feels slightly different.

I'm sure you can return it in the 14 days, but really, is it that big of a deal?

It isn't a "huge" deal, but I noticed it the first time I typed on a desk. The wobble isn't terrible, but it still moves a bit while I'm typing.

maybe your desk is not really flat. try moving to another desk or another part of that desk and see if it's still wobbling.

I thought so too at first, but I tried on many surfaces (including glass) since and it wobbles everywhere.

I had the exact same issue with mine. I was within my 14 days and exchanged it at the apple store. I would bring it in. You should expect your laptop to be level :)

Yeah, I think that's what I will end up doing. I still have a week to return it and I know it will just keep bothering me.

Thanks for all the replies.

Lock
Sep 27, 2011, 09:31 AM
I checked mine again and now there's no issue. I tried your paper test and it was fine. :shrug: If it's bothering you, take it in - mine was unnoticeable during use. What you're describing would probably get on my nerves.

JPizzzle
Sep 27, 2011, 11:06 AM
For what it's worth, my replacement did not have the issue.

TheRealDamager
Sep 27, 2011, 11:53 AM
Interesting - I've noticed a wobble in my 2011 i5 Air for the past several weeks. I tried the electrical tape trick, which actually works well, but eventually figured out that the issue was an icarbon skin that I had applied to my unit. It seems to be thick enough that is causes some problems with the level. I took off the bottom skin and the unit the perfectly flat now. Bummer, because I really liked that skin.

optmi
Sep 27, 2011, 01:11 PM
My 2010 13 wobbles all the time, but I don't typically use it on a desk, rather when I'm on the couch so it doesn't really bother me. I don't think it's too much of a problem as they're quite pliable.

alecgold
Sep 27, 2011, 01:36 PM
my 13" 2010 seemed more pliable than my 2011 11"!

warfed
Sep 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
So I went to the apple store today and got a new air... exact same wobble haha. Decided to keep it, no point wasting another machine, I'll just do the electrical tape trick (thanks for the tip).

TheRealDamager
Sep 28, 2011, 09:35 PM
So I went to the apple store today and got a new air... exact same wobble haha. Decided to keep it, no point wasting another machine, I'll just do the electrical tape trick (thanks for the tip).

That trick works really well, BTW - you can't even tells its there.