Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Hmmm. A Macintosh computer or an iPod would look great under the Xmas trees of millions of Mac fans this year. So what do you think? With the 'switch' ads and all, how much Apple cheer do you think Santa will bring in this year? :D

Attachments

• wreath.jpg
    wreath.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 205

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
HI!
I'm think that with all of the new switch ads running, there should be quite a sales spike this Christmas. I myself am new to mac, and I really like my iMac alot, but if there is one thing that will keep people away from buying a mac, it is the fact that there are almost no stores (at least in my area) that sell mac stuff (computers, accesories, SOFTWARE, ect...). I hate that I cant go into best buy, circuit city, walmart, target, or any other main store and find much of anything for mac, especially in the way of software. Oops, did i just rant???

OK!

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by Groovsonic
. . .but if there is one thing that will keep people away from buying a mac, it is the fact that there are almost no stores (at least in my area) that sell mac stuff (computers, accesories, SOFTWARE, ect...). I hate that I cant go into best buy, circuit city, walmart, target, or any other main store and find much of anything for mac, especially in the way of software.

Well, there's always the Internet. :D

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i reckon there should be a few extra sales, although i don't know about here in Australia, i don't think there are as many (or any) switch ads on T.V. here.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
the emac/fp imac might sell well, since theyre basically "all in one machines"...with a g4 processor lol, im supposed to be getting an emac in a month so it'dd be basically an early xmas present...even tho its an early grad present

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
we are in a recession, so no one will sell LOTS of machines except for maybe dell

but what else is new?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Shrek

Keep in mind that Apple and Dell are the only computer makers making money right now. :p

but the question isn't if one will be "profitable" this christmas season ;)

apple does great with its small employee base and in silicon valley, they pay very low compared to most techie related companies

same as micro-serf in silicon valley

it's always some startup in high tech that pays the big bucks or someone who is growing very fast

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Originally posted by jefhatfield
we are in a recession, so no one will sell LOTS of machines except for maybe dell

but what else is new?

Do you ever think it will turn around, Hatman? Will some company be able to over take Dell in sales and if so who do you think it will be?

My theory:
Gateway was really popular a couple of years ago, they cut some corners, put out some crap hardware, and really pissed off a lot of their customers. Now these people are ready to buy a new machine so who do they turn to, Dell. Recently, Dell's customer service has been slipping and I haven't heard good things from people about their hardware.

Is it then safe to bet that the people that Dell is pissing off and will piss off will then switch back to Gateway or some other hardware vendor? Sony? Alienware maybe? What's your take?

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by spinner

Is it then safe to bet that the people that Dell is pissing off and will piss off will then switch back to Gateway or some other hardware vendor? Sony? Alienware maybe? What's your take?

My take is that they'll say "I'm tired of PCs! Apple's hardware and software works better and they have better support, so I am switching to the "BIG" Mac. Ah, peace man." :D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by spinner

Do you ever think it will turn around, Hatman? Will some company be able to over take Dell in sales and if so who do you think it will be?

My theory:
Gateway was really popular a couple of years ago, they cut some corners, put out some crap hardware, and really pissed off a lot of their customers. Now these people are ready to buy a new machine so who do they turn to, Dell. Recently, Dell's customer service has been slipping and I haven't heard good things from people about their hardware.

i didn't look at that angle, but put that way, it may be the right time for one to switch to macs

if the other companies do badly like they are now, it could be a goldmine for apple if they keep their quality up...i don't really remember any sustained period of bad hardware or software from apple so they might up their market share over the next year

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Big Macs should sell well this holiday season...

But I don't want to guess how computers will sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.