PDA

View Full Version : HP Display help

mgs4
Oct 1, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought an HP2311x 23inch LED monitor and i'm planning to hook up my macbook air to it. The monitor has hdmi, vga and dvi. I would be extremely grateful if somebody were to tell me which connection would be more suitable, and which specific cables i'd need.

Thanks a lot in advance,

MGS4 (Ralph)

eric/
Oct 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought an HP2311x 23inch LED monitor and i'm planning to hook up my macbook air to it. The monitor has hdmi, vga and dvi. I would be extremely grateful if somebody were to tell me which connection would be more suitable, and which specific cables i'd need.

Thanks a lot in advance,

MGS4 (Ralph)

DVI imo. No need for the expensive HDMI cable since you won't be running sound to the monitor.

iApple Mania
Oct 1, 2011, 12:40 PM
You need "Mini Display Port to HDMI" adapter and "HDMI to HDMI" cable.

PS,
"mini display port" plug in at "thunderbolt port"

Aboo
Oct 1, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

Thanks a lot in advance,

MGS4 (Ralph)

Hi Ralph,

Honestly, it does not matter whether you decide to go with HDMI or DVI; they both are digital connections and both are equivalent. Honestly, I would go with whichever one is cheaper for you. With most monitors, a DVI cable is usually included (its the cable with the broad white connectors), and so going with DVI will probably save you a little money. You will need the DVI cable as well as a mini display port to DVI adapter. Monoprice is a great source for cheap and great quality cables. The Mini Display Port/Thunderbolt to DVI adapter only costs 6.65 at Monprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2

Compare this with the $29 that Apple charges for what is essentially the same adapter.

Cheers!

mgs4
Oct 1, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys, and Aboo, i only just realized the monitor came with a dvi cable lol, so i'll just buy the mini display port to dvi and it should work fine. i never even realized the thunderbolt port and MDP cable worked together :rolleyes:
cheersx

eric/
Oct 1, 2011, 01:01 PM
Glad we could help.

Case closed.

deeddawg
Oct 1, 2011, 02:38 PM
Just a thought... If you go with a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter you can use it both with the monitor and also with an HDTV.

Good HDMI cables are cheap at monoprice.com