Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeathHD4Cutie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2005
My LaCie d2 Extreme triple interface 250GB hard drive has stopped mounting (again). This time, it makes a loud beeping noise before the computer (PowerBook G4 Titanium, OSX 10.3.9) gives me the "drive contains no readable OSX volumes, do you want to initialize?" message. I typically hit "Ignore" or "Eject", not wanting to lose the 200GB or so I have on it. Most is backed up, but not all (yeah, my fault). I've tried Disk Warrior and Data Rescue X, neither of which see it. Disk Utility sees a FireWire drive, but identifies it as a Maxtor 2TB drive and doesn't let me repair, scan or anything but erase.

This happened two months ago, but without the awful noise and Disk Warrior was able to mount it.

Any thoughts before I call LaCie and start yelling again?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
open up console in the Utility folder, and try mounting the drive. Are there any error message displayed in console?

domino66

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
Lacie hard drive beeping, not mounting, can't find volume.

same problem, does anyone have a solution/direction.
no idea how to use console.

larry.booth

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2007
input/output error w/ non-mounting drive

I have a 2TB external Lacie drive that I bought on eBay. When I plug it in they drive just spins (very loud & annoying).

Once connected, OS X pops up an error message:
Code:
DISK INSERTION:
The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

I select the option to initialize it (from the pop-up mount error).
Disk Utility opens.
I have selected the initialize tab/erase tab but whatever I choose, when I go to operate on the drive the console declares an I/O error:
(erase error)
Code:
Preparing to erase : “1”
Creating Partition Map
Disk Erase failed with the error:

Input/output error
Erase complete.

Erase complete.

Error with partition Input/output error
Erase complete.

Can anyone help me with my next step? Send it back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.