PDA

View Full Version : iPod classic at Amazon on "pre-order".

15danielp
Oct 4, 2011, 02:37 AM
I've kept the iPod Classic in my shopping cart on Amazon for a week now, in anticipation of the device being discontinued rather then updated. Suddenly it went from "in stock" to "pre-order. Available October 5th."

I wonder what, if anything, this means.

cole01
Oct 4, 2011, 03:52 AM
Hm....10th anniversary edition iPod classic? If we're lucky!:D

15danielp
Oct 4, 2011, 03:57 AM
Hm....10th anniversary edition iPod classic? If we're lucky!:D

I hope so. I've been hanging on to my 5.5gen for 5(?) years now but it's on it's last legs. I would love a new iPod but haven't wanted to pay for 2 year old technology.

Chundles
Oct 4, 2011, 04:05 AM
Probably hedging their bets this close to the announcement.

APlotdevice
Oct 4, 2011, 04:16 AM
You're right. They even changed the listing to say "seventh gen".

15danielp
Oct 4, 2011, 04:53 AM
You're right. They even changed the listing to say "seventh gen".

I didn't notice it said 6th Gen earlier. That's interesting.

15danielp
Oct 4, 2011, 05:16 AM
So now I'm pretty sure it has always said 7th gen. And now the black version is in stock but the price dropped. The silver version is still on pre-order.

This is probably nothing, just wishful thinking.

ThePimento
Oct 4, 2011, 08:38 AM
As of this morning the "7th Generation - NEWEST MODEL" is listed as "In Stock."

wilsonlaidlaw
Oct 4, 2011, 09:05 AM
Amazon UK is selling the Gen 6 as the "latest" but have recently cut prices.

I have been meaning to update the Gen 5.5 I use in my car for some time, now that I have updated the firmware on the Denison ICE Gateway 500 iPod link to the Porsche PCM 2.2 system. I think my gen 5.5 is at least 4 years old now, which is a good life for an iPod. I know some much older ones still work but I think they have lucky owners. Even if the Classic is dropped tomorrow, refurbs will be available for a long time on ePrey. I bought a Gen 6 refurb last year. it looked like new and works perfectly, apart from an occasional click between tracks when playing on a Pure i20 Digital output dock.

iEvolution
Oct 4, 2011, 02:36 PM
Its a done deal, Classic is remaining the same. I think they just did that for price adjustments in the event there is a new higher capacity one.