PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air 11" -- wow, I'm reconsidering...

onthecouchagain
Oct 5, 2011, 11:48 PM
So I saw a girl today in class using an 11" Air... and I must say, it looked perfectly usable. My conceptions of it being unusable or less-usable, I should say, is being challenged.

It suddenly didn't seem too small at all. And in fact, it looked so compact and comfortable. Granted my 13" is still lovely; and I particularly enjoy the extra battery life, but I must say, my conception of the 11" has been changed.

I don't even have a real point to this post (so apologies). In some ways, I just want to pay tribute to the 11" and say, I may have been wrong about it all along.

sriggles
Oct 6, 2011, 12:18 AM
Apology accepted! :)

I was in the same boat as you and decided to go to the nearest Mac store after the release and walked out with an 11 inch and have never looked back!

mrsir2009
Oct 6, 2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah, well, a lot of people underestimate the Air (including myself) :o

Nioxic
Oct 6, 2011, 02:03 AM
its the best tiny laptop.... in the world!

bwhinnen
Oct 6, 2011, 02:06 AM
I also think a lot of people don't realise just how much you can do with the smaller screen on the 11" Air. I've mentioned it in other threads that I now find my wife's 13" MBA huge in comparison and my old 15" Dell is just a monster!

I do a variety of tasks on the 11" including UNIX administration and programming of C, Perl, and scripting without a drama. I don't miss the larger real estate for those tasks. I still use my desktop with 2 x 22" monitors for major photo work, but for quick and dirties the 11" is great.

I really am impressed with the 11" MBA and am so glad I did get it.

thelookingglass
Oct 6, 2011, 03:15 AM
Love my 11" as well. I will say, though, that I don't think I could use this as my primary laptop unless I hooked it up to a larger monitor. The thing is so tiny that you'll find yourself hunched over a desk. Not good for the ol' back or eyes.

GekkePrutser
Oct 6, 2011, 05:41 AM
It depends what you want to do. If you're just looking at websites or taking notes, it would probably be fine.

I couldn't manage doing more serious stuff on the 11", especially because of the high DPI, I just found it too uncomfortable. I don't think the 13" is a bad choice if you spend more than an hour at a time working on the built-in screen.

Rob.G
Oct 6, 2011, 09:10 AM
I love my 11". I had one of the 2010's, now I have the new 2011 model. It gets more use than my 17" since I use this at the office a lot.

The screen resolution is higher than the 13" MacBook Pro, which I think many people don't realize. It IS a little limiting sometimes, but it's not that bad.

The best part of the 11 is how portable it is. Yeah the 13 is nice, but really, it's too big to stick into just any backpack, or the tailbag on my motorcycle, or whatever. Plus it's so neat when somebody comes up and comments on it... I close the lid and hand it to them. When they feel how small and light it is, they're ready to go get their own!

(btw I don't hand it to just anybody) :)

Rob

onthecouchagain
Oct 6, 2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I'm far too committed with my 13", and I'm not fully convinced the 11" is a fit for me.

Just wanted to share my POV of it changed though.

blackhand1001
Oct 6, 2011, 02:51 PM
yeah the ssd's make a huge difference as well. They need to make a cheap smaller ssd option for the 13 inch pro. The pro is kind of a ripoff in comparison to the airs. The airs have the form factor and the sdd's as a good reason for the price. The 13 inch pros really don't have any excuse to be using 5400rpm drive at their price range. Should be atleast 7200rpm which isn't even an option. Its 250 to go from the hdd to a 128ssd. It should be more like 150 since your not keeping the hdd. Other than the sandy bridge low voltage cpu (probably costs more as well) theres very little makes the 13 inch pro more expensive that they couldn't afford to lower the price enough so that speccing it out with a SSD is comparable to the price of an air. That ssd far outweighs any gains from the faster cpu for almost anything but synthetic benchmarks. The specs of everything but the cpu and the storage are almost identical. The pro should fill in the 899-999 gap that the old macbook used to fill. At 900 I think apple would easily make any of the money back through the volume increase of sales.

Also what is there deal on the price of upgrades. Its 150 extra on the mini to get a 7200rpm drive. You could buy more than 3 7200rpm drives and keep the one you already have for that kinda money. Same with the macbook pro. 150 to go from a 320 5400rpm to a 750gb 5400rpm. 200 to go from 4gb to 8gb, there are sales on newegg for 8gb of ram for under 40 in the past few months. Beyond ridiculous.

bandofbrothers
Oct 6, 2011, 03:03 PM
All mba's rock !

Especially mine.........

Cheffy Dave
Oct 6, 2011, 03:07 PM
its the best tiny laptop.... in the world!

Well your assessment just about says it all:cool:

summitRun
Oct 6, 2011, 10:55 PM
So I saw a girl today in class using an 11" Air...

Are you sure your thoughts were focused on the 'usability' of a computer...just sayin :D

onthecouchagain
Oct 6, 2011, 11:02 PM
Are you sure your thoughts were focused on the 'usability' of a computer...just sayin :D

Actually, she was quite pretty. -__-'

Not to side track my own thread, but is anyone else keeping a careful eye on the Kindle Fire? I think it would be a good, affordable, supplement to Air owners. Thoughts?

aziatiklover
Oct 6, 2011, 11:15 PM
I have the first gen MBA 13" and the first time that I saw the 11" there was no brainer, and just knew I would buy it straight up without any regrets. I love how portable it is, and I don't mind for the battery life since I bring the charger with me.

DeusInvictus7
Oct 6, 2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah I'm in my first year of University and so far I have only seen 2 other people with 11" MacBook Airs and maybe 3 13" models. Most of my class has 13" MacBook Pros, with the rare 15" and I don't think I've seen any 17".

hfg
Oct 7, 2011, 12:05 AM
I have found the 11" Air to be much more useable with the new Lion features of full-screen applications and the 2-finger double click automatic zoom features.

I have both 11" and 13", and I find I actually prefer to use the 11" due to the size and weight. Yes, the absolute weight isn't much different, but if you hold it at the edge with one hand, the weight difference leveraged out on the larger size makes a noticeable difference.

-howard

VMMan
Oct 7, 2011, 01:23 AM
i love my 11"... It gets more use than my 17" ...

+1

mrwonkers
Oct 7, 2011, 08:53 AM
I love the 2011 Air so much I bought 2..both for me I'm so greedy :)

wickoo
Oct 7, 2011, 09:23 AM
Two of them? How does that make any sense? :)

mrwonkers
Oct 7, 2011, 09:32 AM
Two of them? How does that make any sense? :)

I quite often like to do 2 things at once - I used to play a two level keyboard/organ, from that I went onto typing 2 projects simultaneously as a dare at University and then from then on I've enjoyed typing 2 things simultaneously [it helps as now I work as a production writer] The Air or should I say the Airs are my favourite computers of all time, Apple got the size to productivity ratio just right.

Besides all of that If I have one Air needing to be repaired I have a perfect backup machine :)

aery
Oct 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
I quite often like to do 2 things at once - I used to play a two level keyboard/organ, from that I went onto typing 2 projects simultaneously as a dare at University and then from then on I've enjoyed typing 2 things simultaneously [it helps as now I work as a production writer] The Air or should I say the Airs are my favourite computers of all time, Apple got the size to productivity ratio just right.

Besides all of that If I have one Air needing to be repaired I have a perfect backup machine :)

Ha, there's always a method to the madness! :p

Also, I just got an 11" and it really is the ultimate in portability. I'm still having a bit of trouble adjusting when moving to the Air from my iMac but my eyes are not very good to begin with. I did just get it a few days ago though and haven't actually used it for more than an hour at once yet so hopefully that will go away.

genosseinski
Oct 7, 2011, 09:55 AM
13 MBA is perfect for me since I can use it at home without eye stream and anywhere I go as wel. It does not feel very heavy, especially compared to my old Dell. And when I put it on a desk or somewhere, it's just a perfect work machine.
So glad I did not buy an iPad. The MBA is a perfect mobile companion and it can life more productive (or distracted :D )

akdj
Oct 7, 2011, 11:26 AM

LOL...I thought I was the only one:) I bought my wife a 2010 MBA last year when they came out. We fell in love with it...however, I needed power, so I bought the new 17" MBP when they popped earlier this year...when the new Airs were released, I bought the 13"...Love it!!! So much so, I went out and bought the 11" Air as well...the core i7/256gig Ultimate. My 17" rarely comes out of the house with me any more!! I am infatuated with these Airs...they do everything I need them to...and I pay my mortgage doing sound and video production:)

Jer

juanm
Oct 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
It's indeed very usable. If you need a laptop, and have no special needs (high graphics processing power or an optical drive), go for it!!!!

Over the last years, I've had the first 13" MacBook, a 15,4" MacBook Pro, several Mac Pros, with 20", 23" and 30" cinema Displays, and I still have an iMac and a high end PC hooked to the ACDs. I could be picky –and I am– but this last 11" Air is near perfect... It's my girlfriend's, and I'm always borrowing it. When I find a good used deal for the current gen, I'll be getting one for myself.

lewdvig
Oct 7, 2011, 10:13 PM
It's an awesome computer.

I wish the battery would last longer, and that the ports were spaced out better (USB ports are a bit tight when plugged to AC, external screen).

bandofbrothers
Oct 8, 2011, 12:50 AM
It's an awesome computer.

I wish the battery would last longer, and that the ports were spaced out better (USB ports are a bit tight when plugged to AC, external screen).

I agree it is awesome and worth the cost.

I don't use an external screen and the main use for one of my USB ports is a netbook cooler pad and the occasional use of a USB data stick.

As I use mine primarily at home I mostly use mine on ac power , occasionally using it on battery to keep the battery fresh.

If I wanted to use the USB ports more then a portable USB hub would be ideal.

KohPhiPhi
Oct 8, 2011, 03:13 AM
I was seriously considering the 11", but its limiting screen and specially the shortish battery life finally pushed me to the 13" model. I figured: "what's the point in an ultra-portable laptop if I must be dragging the AC plug along with me?".

I think the 11" is simply the most beautiful laptop in the world, but the 13" is an altogether more solid option.

Agnoslibertine
Oct 8, 2011, 04:10 AM
I know what you mean, I want the 13 inch, but my girlfriends 11 is so mobile.

bwphoto
Oct 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
I've got one and it feels much larger than it looks. (twss) But because it's not my giant 17" MBP it's a lot less intrusive. In class you're not "that dbag w/ a giant computer on his desk" - so if you're using it and expected to pay attention during a class or meeting at work, etc... it seems to be more acceptable.

When you use Lion in full screen -even more so. Plus I feel like it's just easier to focus on whatever I'm doing. I went from a 17" MBP and 24" Cinema to this and unless I'm laying out a magazine while trying to watch Hulu, I don't miss the extra screen space.

Acorn
Oct 8, 2011, 11:57 AM
I have mixed feelings about the air. I owned one for 7 months and sold it. when I was just using the 11 inch air it was great. I got used to its size. The problem was though i also had a 13 inch macbook pro. After using the 13 inch screen I didnt like going back to the 11. so 11 is ok as long as you get used to it and dont switch between screen sizes to much. Even now I ponder about the 11 inch and getting another all the time but at the same time i wonder if id just be happier with a 13 inch

lewdvig
Oct 8, 2011, 01:43 PM
I read a few really good guides for getting longer battery life on the 11.

Basically it all boils down to removing Flash if you want 4-5 hours.

Switch to the HTML 5 beta in Youtube and lacking Flash is less of a hassle.

DieterRams
Oct 8, 2011, 04:12 PM
I read a few really good guides for getting longer battery life on the 11.

Basically it all boils down to removing Flash if you want 4-5 hours.

Switch to the HTML 5 beta in Youtube and lacking Flash is less of a hassle.

Not sure how uninstalling Flash helps, or do you mean more along the lines of just using less or no Flash?

Abazigal
Oct 8, 2011, 07:25 PM
Not sure how uninstalling Flash helps, or do you mean more along the lines of just using less or no Flash?

He means to just disable flash from loading from websites, which was one of the design decisions made on the ipad to reduce power consumption.

mac jones
Oct 8, 2011, 08:40 PM
The good thing about the 11" is it's portability (obviously).

I take mine everywhere; use it in Cabs, etc. ,hooked up to my iPhone hot spot for the online thing. You can do this with any laptop, but the 11" is best at it for Apple machines (again, obviously) :)

slicktor
Oct 9, 2011, 02:41 AM
I got a 2010 mbp 15". I want to go travel to Japan next year. Do you think it will be worth picking up a 11" mba for travel, so i can update my blog and vlogs?

iApple Mania
Oct 9, 2011, 07:53 AM
It's worth enough bro, it's very great indeed.

juanm
Oct 9, 2011, 08:01 AM
I got a 2010 mbp 15". I want to go travel to Japan next year. Do you think it will be worth picking up a 11" mba for travel, so i can update my blog and vlogs?

Definitely, yes!

YOKOJP
Oct 9, 2011, 08:01 AM
To all whom has the MBA 11" i7 - How's the fan noise in normal usage? and flash videos (more than 30 mins)?

Debating either to get the i5 or i7. it's all come down to fan noise. My wife has the 13" i5 and it's so quiet even watching hours of flash videos.

Thanks in advance.

will0407
Oct 9, 2011, 08:08 AM
To all whom has the MBA 11" i7 - How's the fan noise in normal usage? and flash videos (more than 30 mins)?

Debating either to get the i5 or i7. it's all come down to fan noise. My wife has the 13" i5 and it's so quiet even watching hours of flash videos.

Thanks in advance.

I had the i5, fans seemed to come on a lot even though i was only ever doing low level tasks i.e nothing processor intensive. I use istat and always kept watch of it (especially the cpu monitor).

I've recently got the i7 as I managed to get one for a good price. The fans are on MUCH less, and the CPU barely ever seems to be being worked. When the fans do come on, I find they quieten down a lot quicker.

Maybe i got a bad i5 (ordered the day after release), i don't know, but I definitely prefer the i7

YOKOJP
Oct 9, 2011, 08:17 AM
I had the i5, fans seemed to come on a lot even though i was only ever doing low level tasks i.e nothing processor intensive. I use istat and always kept watch of it (especially the cpu monitor).

I've recently got the i7 as I managed to get one for a good price. The fans are on MUCH less, and the CPU barely ever seems to be being worked. When the fans do come on, I find they quieten down a lot quicker.

Maybe i got a bad i5 (ordered the day after release), i don't know, but I definitely prefer the i7

Thanks for the quick reply. That's definitely good to know. Anyone else who has the i7?

Thanks again Will0407.

IngerMan
Oct 9, 2011, 08:25 AM
I have the i5 and it is cool as a cucumber :D

YOKOJP
Oct 9, 2011, 08:32 AM
I have the i5 and it is cool as a cucumber :D

I read some of you previous posts, very helpful. thanks.

how's the fan noise on the i5? do you watch a lot of flash videos or just emails and surfing the net?

IngerMan
Oct 9, 2011, 09:02 AM
I read some of you previous posts, very helpful. thanks.

how's the fan noise on the i5? do you watch a lot of flash videos or just emails and surfing the net?

I mostly surf, emails, Microsoft Office. I watch MLB TV occasionally which is Flash. Compared to my 2010 CD2 maybe it runs a little warmer. I have not compared Flash to the newer version of Flash which I downloaded last week. But I have read the new release Flash is much better then before.

95% of the time my fans are 2,000 RPM. I do not consider this a warm or hot laptop so I am not looking for stats.

I use Safari, AD Block, Click to Flash. I think this trio helps with battery life and heat.

There are so many mixed reviews on heat with the i5 & i7. For me I bought the i5 with 128 because it is more then enough processing power for me and the price was $1199. I think it comes down to how much you really need and how much do you want to spend. I would not put heat in to the factor, that is something you will have to judge yourself with your usage.

YOKOJP
Oct 9, 2011, 10:45 AM
I mostly surf, emails, Microsoft Office. I watch MLB TV occasionally which is Flash. Compared to my 2010 CD2 maybe it runs a little warmer. I have not compared Flash to the newer version of Flash which I downloaded last week. But I have read the new release Flash is much better then before.

95% of the time my fans are 2,000 RPM. I do not consider this a warm or hot laptop so I am not looking for stats.

I use Safari, AD Block, Click to Flash. I think this trio helps with battery life and heat.

There are so many mixed reviews on heat with the i5 & i7. For me I bought the i5 with 128 because it is more then enough processing power for me and the price was $1199. I think it comes down to how much you really need and how much do you want to spend. I would not put heat in to the factor, that is something you will have to judge yourself with your usage.

You are right. There are lots of mixed reviews on heat and fan noise with the 11" i5 and i7 that I am so confused. Some said i7 is cool and no fan noise and other said the opposite. I really don't know what to believe.

Thanks for advice. It's very help.

ritmomundo
Oct 9, 2011, 12:56 PM
I wanted the 11.6" MBA as soon as I heard they were coming out with it. I had used a 12.1" laptop a few years before, so I was well aware of how I'd adjust to the smaller screen. Sold my 13" MBP the day after getting the Air, and never looked back :D

onthecouchagain
Oct 10, 2011, 11:08 PM
Argh, I know I'm being ridiculous, but now I can't get the 11" out of my mind.

Suddenly, my 13" Air feels "heavy" which is an absurd statement in itself.

:T

Perhaps one day, when they're able to get the 11" battery up to par with the 13"... I'll consider switching to it. I thought there would never be the day that I'd say that.

Rob.G
Oct 11, 2011, 08:00 AM
I don't hear much in the way of fan noise from my 11". About the only time is if I'm running a VirtualBox session (Windows) and svchost.exe starts going haywire again (which is common -- yet another reason to hate Windows). So I keep the VM paused whenever I'm not using it.

I have yet to wish I had gotten the 13". The 11" is perfectly suited to my needs. It fits nicely in my Dakine backpack for when I want to go someplace and not advertise that I have a computer with me in my Targus computer backpack (which will hold my 17" if needed).

Rob