PDA

View Full Version : Installed Windows 7 but it takes 19 gigs??

lexusracin
Oct 6, 2011, 11:25 PM
I just finished the install. Out of a dreadful 128gb drive I rationed away 30 gb for light gaming on windows. I installed Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. In the windows folder it shows that folder alone is 19 gigs. It says I only have 8 gigs free! With 8 gb free I cant even install a single game! Shouldn't windows be only 7 or 8 gigs? Why is it taking 19 up? Any way to fix this?

cluthz
Oct 7, 2011, 04:06 AM
I just finished the install. Out of a dreadful 128gb drive I rationed away 30 gb for light gaming on windows. I installed Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. In the windows folder it shows that folder alone is 19 gigs. It says I only have 8 gigs free! With 8 gb free I cant even install a single game! Shouldn't windows be only 7 or 8 gigs? Why is it taking 19 up? Any way to fix this?

No. Once you start using win7 it will take even more space. It's not realistic using win7 on a partition less than 60GB, unless you only use it for one app.

Which games do you wanna run?
Could you run it in VMWare/Parallels, then u could use Win XP which can be slimmed down to less than a GB.

Even better use wine/cider (I know loads hate it, but it takes no space at all).
I'm playing old games like Vampire Masquerade Bloodline and SpellForce 2 on my MB,

KPOM
Oct 7, 2011, 04:31 AM
Windows 7 takes up more space than OS X. The 32-bit version is about 3-4GB smaller. You might try some of the tips here.

http://superuser.com/questions/143675/how-can-i-reduce-the-size-of-windows-7-and-its-cpu-and-memory-usage

kjlake
Oct 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
According to MS - Win 7 needs 32GB of space to run. I use it as a VM and the max allotted is 40GB for the VM. Currently it takes about 20GB but will expand to fill space as needed.

Bob Coxner
Oct 7, 2011, 06:49 PM
Win 7 Pro 32bit took about 17gb on my 13/4/128 MBA. I allocated 40gb to the Windows partition because I don't plan on putting too much there. It runs fine.

Bottomsup
Oct 8, 2011, 03:44 PM
I use XP with nLite and uses less that 1GB in a VirtualBox image

poobear
Oct 8, 2011, 05:09 PM
I use XP with nLite and uses less that 1GB in a VirtualBox image
Too bad OP seems to want Win 7 ultimate 64 bit..

steveza
Oct 8, 2011, 05:15 PM
Windows 7 takes up more space than OS X. The 32-bit version is about 3-4GB smaller. You might try some of the tips here.

http://superuser.com/questions/143675/how-can-i-reduce-the-size-of-windows-7-and-its-cpu-and-memory-usageThis is a good tip from that link:

Open command prompt with administrator privilege.
Type this : powercfg -h off

It will turn off hibernation and remove c:\hibfile.sys which will be the same size as your installed RAM.