PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Screen

Uln4321
Oct 7, 2011, 11:57 PM
I bought the new macbook air on July 20th (launch day) and didn't buy apple care. I just dropped a remote on the screen and there is a huge crack on the screen. anyone know if apple will replace it? i tried searching but nothing came up. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Or if anyone has had experiences with taking a cracked screen into apple.

aeboi
Oct 8, 2011, 12:18 AM
They'll tell you how to it will cost to replace.

Uln4321
Oct 8, 2011, 12:21 AM
They'll tell you how to it will cost to replace.

If I had apple care would it cost anything?

AlphaDogg
Oct 8, 2011, 12:48 AM

Around $800

Queen6
Oct 8, 2011, 12:54 AM

Apple Care does not cover accidental damage, so even if you had the extended cover you are still liable...

dubels
Oct 8, 2011, 01:34 AM
Check to see if your credit card company has coverage over the item.

mattwallace24
Oct 8, 2011, 05:36 AM
I bought the new macbook air on July 20th (launch day) and didn't buy apple care. I just dropped a remote on the screen and there is a huge crack on the screen. anyone know if apple will replace it? i tried searching but nothing came up. Thanks in advance!

I did the EXACT same thing. Cracked my screen with a remote. Took it to the Apple store. They started the conversation by telling me it would be around an $800 repair. However, the Apple employee made the decision to replace it for free. Although I think they have a lot of leeway, he said since it was my first repair on my first apple computer, they'd replace it for free. A few days later, picked up my machine with a replaced display and no charges.

I'd HIGHLY suggest taking it into the Apple store to see if they can waive the charges or cut you a deal. This is one of the many reasons Apple has such big fans.

Uln4321
Oct 8, 2011, 09:56 AM
I did the EXACT same thing. Cracked my screen with a remote. Took it to the Apple store. They started the conversation by telling me it would be around an $800 repair. However, the Apple employee made the decision to replace it for free. Although I think they have a lot of leeway, he said since it was my first repair on my first apple computer, they'd replace it for free. A few days later, picked up my machine with a replaced display and no charges.

I'd HIGHLY suggest taking it into the Apple store to see if they can waive the charges or cut you a deal. This is one of the many reasons Apple has such big fans.

Yep this is my first repair so hopefully they'll wave the charge! thanks for the info!

Rasan
Oct 8, 2011, 10:20 AM
A similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Usually they will charge you, you have to very,very lucky to get it replaced for free. The repair cost me 600 , but it looks like the credit card company will cover it.

Uln4321
Oct 8, 2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks All!

TheRealDamager
Oct 8, 2011, 12:15 PM
Uh- you realize that part of the Warranty agreement from SquareTrade is that your machine is in working condition at the time you take out the agreement. Why are you trying to get someone else to pay for your mistake? At the very least don't advertise your intent to commit fraud on a public forum.

Uln4321
Oct 8, 2011, 12:22 PM
Uh- you realize that part of the Warranty agreement from SquareTrade is that your machine is in working condition at the time you take out the agreement. Why are you trying to get someone else to pay for your mistake? At the very least don't advertise your intent to commit fraud on a public forum.

Yes

weckart
Oct 8, 2011, 01:21 PM
Oh I was unaware of that. Sorry won't be doing that!

LOL! This is standard practice with ANY insurance policy. You insure against an event happening. No point locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

lewdvig
Oct 8, 2011, 01:27 PM
I would take it to the store and ask anyway.

Apple Store fixed my son's screen in warranty. He dropped it. They did not give him a hard time or anything.

YMMV but worth asking IMO.

Service at Apple Stores is crazy good.

KPOM
Oct 8, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'd guess it would be about a $755 repaid. Apple has a tiered rate for repairs, and that's what they charge to replace a logic board.

Don't count on Apple waiving the charge, and certainly don't act like you expect it when you go to the store. Just ask them for a repair estimate and see what they do.

If they quote you $755, consider third party options if you need to save money. This article in PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/article/240121/replace_a_cracked_laptop_screen.html) last month has a link to a site that sells replacement screens. For the Air, they start at $139. The next step would be finding someone to install it for you. Look for an Apple authorized technician and see if they would do that for you if you ordered the screen from a third party.

You might also see if your renter's/homeowner's insurance policy (or your parents if you are at home or in a dorm) covers accidental damage. I purchased a rider for my insurance policy that covers accidental damage for $33/year. I did that after spilling a glass on my 2010 (fortunately Apple waived that repair charge, but I figured that won't happen again and $33/year is a lot better than $755).

I wouldn't be surprised to see AppleCare+ expand to other products besides the new iPhone 4S in the future.

Uln4321
Oct 8, 2011, 02:29 PM
I would take it to the store and ask anyway.

Apple Store fixed my son's screen in warranty. He dropped it. They did not give him a hard time or anything.

YMMV but worth asking IMO.

Service at Apple Stores is crazy good.

I'd guess it would be about a $755 repaid. Apple has a tiered rate for repairs, and that's what they charge to replace a logic board.

Don't count on Apple waiving the charge, and certainly don't act like you expect it when you go to the store. Just ask them for a repair estimate and see what they do.

If they quote you $755, consider third party options if you need to save money. This article in PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/article/240121/replace_a_cracked_laptop_screen.html) last month has a link to a site that sells replacement screens. For the Air, they start at $139. The next step would be finding someone to install it for you. Look for an Apple authorized technician and see if they would do that for you if you ordered the screen from a third party.

You might also see if your renter's/homeowner's insurance policy (or your parents if you are at home or in a dorm) covers accidental damage. I purchased a rider for my insurance policy that covers accidental damage for $33/year. I did that after spilling a glass on my 2010 (fortunately Apple waived that repair charge, but I figured that won't happen again and $33/year is a lot better than $755).

I wouldn't be surprised to see AppleCare+ expand to other products besides the new iPhone 4S in the future.

Thank so much guys!!! :D

soapsudz
Dec 10, 2011, 06:59 AM
I had the same thing happen to my Air's screen, then I brought it in to an Apple service center, and they told me it would cost almost as much as a new computer. Sorry mate, accidents not covered under warranty, blah blah blah... and no amount of pleading would help. I've been looking for a replacement screen (not the entire display assembly) to install myself but I've had no luck at all sourcing one.

Are you all talking about Apple Stores in the US? What it is about Stores there that makes them treat customers extra-special?

snowwhite007
Dec 10, 2011, 07:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My bro got a free repair with no apple care guess u just have to be lucky

johnhurley
Dec 10, 2011, 08:13 AM

When you go into the apple store be really nice and look good and bring some donuts!

KPOM
Dec 10, 2011, 09:58 AM
I had the same thing happen to my Air's screen, then I brought it in to an Apple service center, and they told me it would cost almost as much as a new computer. Sorry mate, accidents not covered under warranty, blah blah blah... and no amount of pleading would help. I've been looking for a replacement screen (not the entire display assembly) to install myself but I've had no luck at all sourcing one.

Are you all talking about Apple Stores in the US? What it is about Stores there that makes them treat customers extra-special?

Apple Stores in the US are owned and operated by Apple, and they do more than just serve as ordinary retail outlets. They promote the brand, and customer service is an important part of Apple's brand in the US.

boy-better-know
Dec 10, 2011, 11:11 AM
Pics or it didn't happen?

soapsudz
Dec 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
Apple Stores in the US are owned and operated by Apple, and they do more than just serve as ordinary retail outlets. They promote the brand, and customer service is an important part of Apple's brand in the US.

That explains why us non-US folks get shafted by Apple's "authorized resellers" and the like. They don't make any money from giving away free screen replacements :(

I just wish the MBA's screen unit had a slightly thicker aluminium lid and a thicker glass front. Just a couple of mm extra would give it more protection.

ezramoore
Dec 10, 2011, 09:03 PM
That explains why us non-US folks get shafted by Apple's "authorized resellers" and the like. They don't make any money from giving away free screen replacements :(

I just wish the MBA's screen unit had a slightly thicker aluminium lid and a thicker glass front. Just a couple of mm extra would give it more protection.

AASPs aren't shafting customers at all. We cannot authorize a free replacement when the user has caused the damage. If the user calls 800 MY APPLE and BMCs until the rep authorizes a replacement we can proceed with the repair for free. We make the same (pittance) either way, from Apple.

Also there is NO glass on the front of an Air's screen.

bearsalley34
Dec 10, 2011, 09:05 PM
Tell us what you ended up doing

vitzr
Dec 10, 2011, 09:08 PM
Yep this is my first repair so hopefully they'll wave the charge! thanks for the info!
We are buying it for you. It's called "Apple Tax" :)

It's the premium price we all pay to own Macs. Apples makes more than twice the net profit per computer, when compared to the competition.

It's a very clever strategy. It makes Apple massive profits, and allows them to do things like this, that make them look good.

The only downside is it breeds a feeling of entitlement to the customers that don't understand business. They actually believe Apples doing it out of kindness. Going forward these customers have unrealistic expectations which cause more and more users to expect Apple to pay for their mistakes.

soapsudz
Dec 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
AASPs aren't shafting customers at all. We cannot authorize a free replacement when the user has caused the damage. If the user calls 800 MY APPLE and BMCs until the rep authorizes a replacement we can proceed with the repair for free. We make the same (pittance) either way, from Apple.

Also there is NO glass on the front of an Air's screen.

My initial words were a bit harsh on AASPs but Apple's policy on accidental damage seems inconsistent. It seems the people getting free repairs/replacements on MBAs with broken screens and liquid damage are getting it done at Apple Stores by lenient Geniuses, even though Apple's warranty doesn't cover accidental damage.

Why is it that one Apple Store will fix a broken screen for free while another won't? For one happy customer you end up getting many more who are frustrated and shocked at having to pay almost the price of a new computer just for a new display.

ezramoore
Dec 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
Why is it that one Apple Store will fix a broken screen for free while another won't? For one happy customer you end up getting many more who are frustrated and shocked at having to pay almost the price of a new computer just for a new display.

Well, it is a discretionary situation, but the warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, so they always have that to fall back on.

Apple's customer service is second to none, among major computer manufacturers, and results like the ones people have described in this thread aren't uncommon.

I don't know about other AASPs but we do allow some leeway in our replacement, and we always give a customer the information to call Apple and appeal our decision.

shaneomac.28
Dec 11, 2011, 05:04 AM
I highly recommend a company called expert mac repair. I would post a link but I do believe they frown on that. you can goole it. They provide over night shipping free of charge and can do your repair in about a week. They provide on line price quotes right away...got$399 to replace a macbook air screen. They repaired my water damaged macbook pro and replaced the screen for a fraction of what Apple would charge....even replaced the aluminum casing because it was scratched....just frigin awesome.

soapsudz
Dec 13, 2011, 07:02 AM
Techrestore are now offering repairs to 11" and 13" MBA models as well as matte screen upgrades. It costs $399 for a 11.6" matte screen but it's only for the US. I'm not there so I'll probably have to do a DIY repair.

Screentek also has the 11.6" screen in stock. At least that's what the website says...
http://www.screentekinc.com/Apple_MacBook_Air_(MC506LL~A)--11.6-inch--1366x768-wxga_hd-laptop-lcd-screen.shtml

Has anyone here actually tried to replace the screen element on the MBA 11"? Just the screen and not the entire top assembly.

convergent
Dec 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
If you go in the store, go with the attitude that they don't owe you a new screen because the don't. That attitude will probably help increase the chances that they may do it for you.

n1tut
Dec 13, 2011, 01:38 PM
I posted on my experience a few weeks ago.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1259356

tut