Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
As seen here:

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/07/apple-outs-more-powerful-apple-tv-dual-core-a5-in-ios-5-file-system/

I'd say this is almost guaranteed to mean a dual core, A5 chip for the Apple TV, bringing 1080p playback. Let's hope this pans out.

I'm guessing there will be a spec bump right before christmas, together with the release of 1080p material on iTunes.

Especially now that the AppleTV is available in most European countries, where the broadband isn't deadly slow and where most countries have unlimited data for the broadband connections. Thus making 1080p an actual option...

I had 10/10 back in 1999 (I went from a 56.6k modem ;)) that cost me about 25 USD a month, so when I read about the average connections in the states it makes me a bit sad ;)

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
If it stays at 99 dollars, gets jailbroken so it can have XBMC I will totally buy one to replace my atv2. Then I'll turn my atv2 into a low power wb server :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
1080p and an internal hard drive again and I'm sold.

Internal hard drive is the main reason I've not upgraded to the new one. Aside from not having the best luck with streaming, I don't want to have to plug in my external hard drive into my laptop each time I want to watch something, or even have to have my laptop present (i.e. housemates might want to watch something but can't if my laptop isn't there).

My original Apple TV is on its last legs.. it's randomly been rebooting lately during watching.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I'll buy it. I'm planning on getting an Apple TV for Netflix and I'm waiting for the next gen to come out. I can wait till Jan.
On the other hand I will be sooo ticked off if Apple puts an A5 in the Apple TV but won't put one in the iPod Touch.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Seems unlikely we will get this before christmas. Apple just had a event and usually they don't have one before the new year.

I hope we get 1080p and an app store! :D

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
1080p and an internal hard drive again and I'm sold.

Internal hard drive is the main reason I've not upgraded to the new one. Aside from not having the best luck with streaming, I don't want to have to plug in my external hard drive into my laptop each time I want to watch something, or even have to have my laptop present (i.e. housemates might want to watch something but can't if my laptop isn't there).

That's what iCloud is for. They're not going back to an internal hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.