PDA

View Full Version : Does MBA use battery when it sleep?

MBAForever
Oct 8, 2011, 11:54 AM
I had read previously that some people had left their MBA for a month without using it and able to resume it without any charge. Supposedly, this was due to the MBA consuming little battery when it sleep.

This morning when I opened up my MBA since the last usage 2 weeks ago, I found that the system was not able to resume at all. Thinking that the battery had depleted, I connected it to a power supply and true enough the display came back to life.

I had remembered that the battery life was left with about 80% before I put it to sleep 2 weeks ago. Therefore I was quite surprised to find that the MBA had been using the battery even when sleeping. Otherwise, what other reasons could've lead to the depleting of the battery over the 2 weeks? I noted that I had a web browser running flash in the background. Could that be the reason why the MBA's battery was used up so much until it got depleted?

tills24
Oct 8, 2011, 12:13 PM
Did you have wifi and bluetooth on when you closed the lid?

AlanShutko
Oct 8, 2011, 12:24 PM
All Apple laptops use a small amount of battery while they're asleep to keep the contents of RAM alive. Additionally, if you have Wake for Wi-Fi network access on in Energy Saver prefs, it will use a little bit extra listening for wake-up packets. Finally, if you're paired with a bluetooth mouse or keyboard there's a pref to allow them to wake up the computer. Again, it will use some power while sleeping to listen for them.