PDA

View Full Version : "WiFi" Sync

berkleeboy210
Oct 12, 2011, 03:27 PM
I was HIGHLY disappointed when I tried to Wirelessly Sync my iPad and my MacBook Air when I got the message "Must be plugged into power"....

Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

And yes, they are both connected to the same WiFi and I've enabled it on my Mac.

:mad:

grapes911
Oct 12, 2011, 03:28 PM
I like it. When I plug my phone in at night to charge, it syncs then.

monkeylui
Oct 12, 2011, 03:29 PM
Wi-fi sync has the potential to severely drain your battery. Totally understandable.

swllnvag
Oct 12, 2011, 03:31 PM
Wi-fi sync has the potential to severely drain your battery. Totally understandable.

It will ONLY sync when your phone is connected to a power source, locked, and connected to wi-fi. I think the intention was for it to sync while you're sleeping, as mine does.

My last update was performed automatically at 3:49am this morning. What's not to like?

scott craft
Seems like the way to go to me. My WP7 has wireless syncing so I let it sync when I plug it in at night.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

stridemat
Maybe a noob question but how do you activate this on your Mac? I can't seem to get it to work.

JRoDDz
Oct 12, 2011, 03:33 PM
Maybe a noob question but how do you activate this on your Mac? I can't seem to get it to work.

There is an option in iTunes "sync this device wirelessly" or something to that effect. you need the newest iTunes update.

rick snagwell
Oct 12, 2011, 03:33 PM

on the summary page via iTunes when your device is plugged in. scroll down.

stridemat
Oct 12, 2011, 03:40 PM
Got it. Thanks!

Chozo
Oct 12, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hmm...I've upgraded everything, plugged my iPhone into my Mac and checked off the "Wi-Fi Sync" option. Unhooked it, went to my bedroom and connected it to a power source, double-checked that it's on the network and locked it.

It's still not showing up in my iTunes.

Any ideas?

JoeShades
Oct 12, 2011, 03:43 PM
you don't need to be connected to a power source to sync

Chozo
Oct 12, 2011, 03:44 PM
you don't need to be connected to a power source to sync

Ok, it shouldn't matter if I am or not.

I'm saying it doesn't show up in iTunes.

David Webb
Oct 12, 2011, 03:48 PM
I have the sync over wifi box ticked and it was working fine. My Mac and iPhone would sync over the wireless network. But out of the blue the iPhone disappeared from the devices and now only shows when plugged into the USB. Any ideas?

Chozo
Oct 12, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have the sync over wifi box ticked and it was working fine. My Mac and iPhone would sync over the wireless network. But out of the blue the iPhone disappeared from the devices and now only shows when plugged into the USB. Any ideas?

This is essentially the same issue I'm having.
I have turned off my airport card and back on again and the iPhone briefly came back before disappearing again.

LoganT
Oct 12, 2011, 03:50 PM
I thought it was it needed to be plugged in for the automatic wireless sync. But you can sync manually without having it plugged in.

Is it still this way? Or was that never true?

rorschach
Oct 12, 2011, 03:51 PM
You do not need to be plugged into a power source to sync wirelessly. It just won't sync automatically (like it does when you plug it in to your computer) if you aren't.

David Webb
Oct 12, 2011, 03:52 PM
Yes. I have just turned off my wifi on my airport then back on again and my iPhone is now showing again in the devices. Will keep a look at to see if and when it disappears again.

JoeShades

restart itunes

Chozo
You do not need to be plugged into a power source to sync wirelessly. It just won't sync automatically (like it does when you plug it in to your computer) if you aren't.

I don't think you understand what the issue is here.
It's not appearing in iTunes whether plugged into a power source or not.
Same with whether it's locked or not.

LoganT
Oct 12, 2011, 03:56 PM
I don't think you understand what the issue is here.
It's not appearing in iTunes whether plugged into a power source or not.
Same with whether it's locked or not.

The OP said this:

I was HIGHLY disappointed when I tried to Wirelessly Sync my iPad and my MacBook Air when I got the message "Must be plugged into power"....

To most people that would seem like he is talking about having to have it plugged in.

Nachoconqueso
Oct 12, 2011, 04:07 PM
Mine doesn't need to be plugged in. I had to restart itunes to get it going, but it totally works. So much better!!!!!!!!!

Chozo
Oct 12, 2011, 05:00 PM
The OP said this:
To most people that would seem like he is talking about having to have it plugged in.

You're clearly not reading this thread. It's not even a big thread either.

renkye
Oct 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
I'm having the same issue as above, everything is set correct but it doesn't show my iPhone on iTunes on my Macbook. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, it works now for some reason

TheseGoTo11
Oct 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
I had to go through a couple of the steps mentioned here. Also...are there any settings to manually schedule when the wireless sync will happen?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4062

Patriot24
Oct 12, 2011, 06:22 PM
Manual Sync:

General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync > Sync Now

No need to be plugged-in. I'm not sure what the big deal here is. Do you not have to charge your phone ever?

MacMan07
Oct 12, 2011, 06:28 PM
Yep, this has been a huge disappointment for me.

Wi-Fi Sync requires you to be on the same network as the host computer and be plugged into a power source. You're as well just plugging it in to your computer using the USB cable... which is what we have always done! :confused:

Let's be honest, if you have your computer on, are needing to plug in your device and want to sync stuff, there's no real scenario where you would have the device plugged in to the wall socket while syncing with computer in the other room. I'm sure there will be some people who will do this but it's hardly going to satisfy the masses - most will just plug it into a computer.

In my opinion, Apple know this is a battery drainer and are scared to introduce true wireless syncing as they know it will mean they have to advertise decreased battery life times.

DarwinOSX
Oct 12, 2011, 06:28 PM
They don't want a sync to fail because the phone ran out of power. Fewer support calls.

And yes, they are both connected to the same WiFi and I've enabled it on my Mac.

:mad:

JForestZ34
Oct 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
I'm trying out the wi fi sync now and it works well.. It is using some good CPU power though.. The MBP is getting pretty hot.....I'm just syncing 3000 pics so it shouldn't be that taxing on the system should it? Would be alot faster via USB though...

James

Patriot24
Oct 12, 2011, 06:51 PM

Wi-Fi Sync requires you to be on the same network as the host computer and be plugged into a power source. You're as well just plugging it in to your computer using the USB cable... which is what we have always done! :confused:

Let's be honest, if you have your computer on, are needing to plug in your device and want to sync stuff, there's no real scenario where you would have the device plugged in to the wall socket while syncing with computer in the other room. I'm sure there will be some people who will do this but it's hardly going to satisfy the masses - most will just plug it into a computer.

In my opinion, Apple know this is a battery drainer and are scared to introduce true wireless syncing as they know it will mean they have to advertise decreased battery life times.

The intention was never to offer a complete remote sync option, as far as I know. iCloud takes care of some of that, but you can't expect to sync up to 64 GB of data daily via random Wi-Fi networks (let alone 3G...).

Frankly, iCloud does a great job of keeping most of the important things up-to-date. I'm not sure why I need to be able to sync play counts or ratings every 15 minutes to iTunes.

sindekit
Oct 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
just a question...will it sync if my iMac is asleep?

Dangerdog3000
Oct 12, 2011, 07:04 PM
It is kind of disappointing if you have a notebook. If I have my iPhone plugged in, my notebook will be on and my iPhone will be in there. In all other scenarios its either in standby or completely off, in which case it won't sync. So it's really like I don't have wireless synching at all.

Patriot24
Oct 12, 2011, 07:09 PM
just a question...will it sync if my iMac is asleep?

No.

It can sync with iCloud, however.

nocera
Oct 12, 2011, 07:11 PM
I have the updated iTunes and iOS, however, there is NO option for Wifi syncing in the summary of my device on iTunes. It's not that the syncing isn't working, it's that the option to do so isn't even there. Any ideas?

docprego
Oct 12, 2011, 07:13 PM
This thread has confused me. What is the bottom line? Does my iPad or iPhone need to be plugged into power or not to sync wirelessly? I'm not concerned if its automatic or not, I just want to be able to truly sync wirelessly.

sindekit
Oct 12, 2011, 07:16 PM
No.

It can sync with iCloud, however.

What does syncing to iCloud actually do? I mean, what is on iCloud?

MacManiac76
Oct 12, 2011, 07:18 PM
I have the updated iTunes and iOS, however, there is NO option for Wifi syncing in the summary of my device on iTunes. It's not that the syncing isn't working, it's that the option to do so isn't even there. Any ideas?

Apparently wi-fi sync requires Snow Leopard or Lion to have the option show up in iTunes.

This thread has confused me. What is the bottom line? Does my iPad or iPhone need to be plugged into power or not to sync wirelessly? I'm not concerned if its automatic or not, I just want to be able to truly sync wirelessly.

You do not need to be connected to a power source to initiate a wi-fi sync. It will however perform a wi-fi sync automatically when you connect to power.

blackjackmark
Oct 12, 2011, 07:34 PM

Confused as well. During the intro, it was clearly stated that you did not need a computer...or at least that's certainly the way I interpreted it. A friend has always wanted an iPad but has no PC, and I've always told him he can't do it. When they announced the iCloud, I told him he could now get an iPad. I sure hope I didn't get his hopes up for nothing!

TM WAZZA
Oct 12, 2011, 07:42 PM
Just a question, wifi sync doesn't use my monthly data cap right?

LoganT
Oct 12, 2011, 07:47 PM
Just a question, wifi sync doesn't use my monthly data cap right?

No.

nocera
Oct 12, 2011, 08:18 PM
Apparently wi-fi sync requires Snow Leopard or Lion to have the option show up in iTunes.

Yup, that'd be the reason then. Is it worth updating to Snow Leopard to be able to sync wirelessly? I'm using a 2008 MacBook aluminum unibody 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB memory.

ajcadoo
Oct 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
I wanna be able to have my iphone sync when my MBP is in sleep mode and when iTunes is closed! That way it all runs in the background overnight. The whole Wifi sync is pretty much like using a usb.

Nachoconqueso
Oct 12, 2011, 08:30 PM
My iPad doesn't need to be connected to a power source to get the sync going. Just tested and sent some pdfs over.

blackjackmark
Oct 12, 2011, 09:00 PM

I have a PC and it shows up on mine, when I have the 3GS tethered to the PC and click on Summary.

"Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi"

ConnYoungy
Oct 12, 2011, 09:02 PM
Why isn't wifi sync peer-to-peer like AirDrop?

imahawki
Oct 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
So for wi-fi sync, I notice if my wife has the lid closed on her MacBook, it doesn't sync over wi-fi. That's kind of a bummer. I was hoping she might stay more in sync with the wi-fi sync but I'm guessing most of the time her laptop is "active" her iPhone won't be charging (it will be in her purse or something) and her having to go into settings and kick off a sync isn't any more likely to happen than her plugging in her iPhone into the laptop to start with.

Kind of worthless if this isn't addressed. My wife NEVER connects her iPhone to her laptop. I was hoping this would fix the issue. And I didn't enable iCloud because we share an iTunes/Apple ID. I don't want our iPhones to be mirrors of each others and I don't want separate Apple IDs.

ConnYoungy
Oct 13, 2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah i was hoping wifi sync would be more like "cloud-at-home" so like you're laptop/computer knows your phone is within range and begins a sync, and continues to sync new info as long as the phone is in range, maybe turning off at 50% charge or something to prevent flattening the phone

SurferMan
Oct 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
WiFi sync is a joke, kinda bs is this. Gloat about it, then it ends up it only works if you buy Lion or Snow Leopard? Yeh I'm gonna buy Lion after all the issues people are having and still reporting. Guess OS/X 10.5.8 isn't good enough and Apple wants more money :rolleyes:

Artofilm
Oct 13, 2011, 03:03 PM
Wifi Sync just like the Cake, is a lie

TheVoski
Oct 13, 2011, 03:23 PM
I have "Sync with this iPhone" on in iTunes. I have the new iOS5 and new iTunes. I have a HP-PC and it's not syncing with my iPhone when plugged in right next to my PC. Also, when I download stuff (mainly free podcasts) on my PC it's not automatically going to my iPhone 4. What am I doing wrong?

I went into iTunes WiFi Sync in my iPhone and it only lets me sync when I have the USB plugged into my PC. When its plugged inot the wall it says "Sync will resume when "STEVE-HP" is available"

Siouxhockey
Oct 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
How will it work to have 2 iphones sync over wifi on the same network/computer? We have for our purchases for itunes off of one account but for icloud we will have two seperate Apple IDs

frosse
Oct 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
Which should I choose?!:confused:

kshiz
Oct 13, 2011, 04:54 PM
There is an option in iTunes "sync this device wirelessly" or something to that effect. you need the newest iTunes update.

I do not have this option in my iTunes for both my iPad 2 and my iPhone 3GS. Both running iOS5 and iTunes is fully updated and on the same WiFi network

Thoughts?

blackjackmark
Oct 13, 2011, 05:01 PM
I do not have this option in my iTunes for both my iPad 2 and my iPhone 3GS. Both running iOS5 and iTunes is fully updated and on the same WiFi network

Thoughts?

Forgive the obvious question...but are you clicking on your device when you're tethered through iTunes and looking at the "Summary" tab?

dyn
Oct 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
iCloud takes care of some of that, but you can't expect to sync up to 64 GB of data daily via random Wi-Fi networks (let alone 3G...).
You can sync that amount of data perfectly via wifi as long as it is 802.11n and/or if you have patience. Daily or weekly syncing it via this way does not mean it will sync all of the data. Syncing will only sync the changes and those are mostly quite small. That's why Apple offers the iCloud backup service.

However, there is a very cool feature with syncing regarding iOS5 and iTunes 10.5. It is very smart and I wish they did the same thing for networking. What you can do is sync wirelessly and if it takes too long hook it up via usb. It then seamlessly (!!!!!) switches from wireless to wired speeding up the sync! The other way around happens too. Unhook it and it will switch to wireless sync. Very awesome feature. The syncing also happens in the background meaning you don't have to think about it. If only they would do that with wireless and wired networking (hook up the cable and it seamlessly switches from wireless to wired giving you more speed and vice versa if you want/have to move). Ubuntu has the ability to do so.

Btw, if you want to wifi-sync automatically there are 3 things you have to do:
1. iOS device and Mac have to be on the same network (mind you, not wifi, the Mac can be on the wired segment of the network like mine is!)
2. iTunes has to be running on the Mac (which means the Mac can not be shutdown or in sleep mode).
3. the iOS device has to be connected to a power source (aka charge it).

If you want to wifi-sync manually there are two ways of doing that:
1. Hit the sync button in iTunes for that particular iOS device.
2. Tap the "sync" button in Settings > General > Wifi-sync on the iOS device.

Obviously you have to enable wifi syncing in iTunes for the iOS device first before you can even attempt the wireless sync...

Too bad that the iPhone is able to sync like this since 12-10-2011. My Treo 650 could do this via bluetooth in 2004! The fact that you can switch between wired and wireless whilst syncing makes up for that fact though.

If you want to restore the device or update its software listen to what iTunes tells you and use the usb cable to do so. Wired is still the most reliable connection thus eliminating nasty things like a connection that drops right in the middle of the firmware flashing process leaving you with a bricked iPhone. Alternatively you can use the over-the-air update stuff too, that's what it is supposed to do.

SurferMan
Oct 13, 2011, 06:08 PM

Thoughts?
Unless you have/buy Lion or Snow Leopard it it won't work. Mine doesn't have that option with iTunes 10.5 and OS/X 10.5.8 ..... nice job Apple :rolleyes: . Looks like we're not missing much as wifi sync isn't impressive.

kshiz
Oct 13, 2011, 06:47 PM
Unless you have/buy Lion or Snow Leopard it it won't work. Mine doesn't have that option with iTunes 10.5 and OS/X 10.5.8 ..... nice job Apple :rolleyes: . Looks like we're not missing much as wifi sync isn't impressive.

I have Snow Leopard but not sure if it's the most up to date. And yes I have it selected once it's tethered and I'm looking under the summary tab. But if the update is the issue then I'm sure that will solve it.

Lee Adama
Oct 13, 2011, 07:08 PM
I like it. When I plug my phone in at night to charge, it syncs then.

+1

I put my iPhone into my charging dock, launch iTunes and bam! wireless synch starts up right away. Pretty darn cool, if you ask me!

TheSuperSteve
Oct 13, 2011, 07:14 PM
Wireless Sync is not working at all with my Windows PC.