Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esegal2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2005
My powerbook just shipped from Shanghai... I chose the standard free shipping.... About how long should it take....I live in Atlanta, Ga? (It doesn't say on the UPS website)

p.s. Do apple's computers usually ship from Shanghai?

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
That's where they come from. You're probably looking at 4 to 5 days I would imagine for transit.

esegal2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Thanks. It's good to know that my computer is quite literally on the slow boat from china.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
esegal2 said:
Thanks. It's good to know that my computer is quite literally on the slow boat from china.
Actually the slow boat from China woould be about 4 weeks transit time. It may still go by air from China to the US and then ground to where you are. You can tell by following the tracking information everyday.

esegal2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2005
I don't understand why my computer is shipping from shanghai (with an up to 12 day delivery period) and the new imacs are shipping from within the US and with a 3-5 day shipping period

Danzsupreme

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2005
esegal2 said:
My powerbook just shipped from Shanghai... I chose the standard free shipping.... About how long should it take....I live in Atlanta, Ga? (It doesn't say on the UPS website)

My powerbook was also shipped today and doesnt have the time but mine is shipping from SUZHOU CN.

Can't wait, i got all my other stuff yesterday but what i really want is still in china, is SUZHOU diff from Shanghai

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
esegal2 said:
I don't understand why my computer is shipping from shanghai (with an up to 12 day delivery period) and the new imacs are shipping from within the US and with a 3-5 day shipping period
Did you customize your system? Also, Apple did build up a stock of the iMacs in the US. PowerBooks are probably selling before they're made still.

I've had an iMac ship from Asia in the past.

esegal2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Bear said:
Did you customize your system? PowerBooks are probably selling before they're made still.

I've had an iMac ship from Asia in the past.

yes... i added RAM... does this mean that they will ship it to Apple in california first, and then it will ship to me?

How long did your iMac from China take?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
esegal2 said:

I ordered an iPod mini shortly before christmas that shipped from Shanghai. I just used the standard free shipping, and it got here in a day. I wasn't expecting it to ship from there...and I was very confused at first when I saw that it somehow got to the US at an earlier time than it left Shanghai...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
esegal2 said:
yes... i added RAM... does this mean that they will ship it to Apple in california first, and then it will ship to me?
Nope, it is custom configured in the factory before it ships.

How long did your iMac from China take?
It took about 2 days as I paid for 2 day shipping.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
I ordered an iMac yesterday from my campus bookstore. No way tracking it really. Any ideas on how long it will take? I got wireless keyboard and a bigger hard drive....

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I'm from Atlanta and anything I've ordered from Apple (no computer, but a custom engraved iPod once) takes like one day -- two days tops -- to get from Shanghai. I've never had to wait more than a week, usually much much less, except for an iPod mini back when they were back ordered (but it said I would have to wait up to 6 weeks for it to ship).

esegal2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2005
mariahlullaby said:
I'm from Atlanta and anything I've ordered from Apple (no computer, but a custom engraved iPod once) takes like one day -- two days tops -- to get from Shanghai.

Have you done standard shipping?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.