PDA

View Full Version : Should I got a PowerBook now? ...or wait?


prefect
Oct 6, 2002, 08:23 PM
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a powerbook but I have been reading (on this site as well as others) that Apple may not be too far off from releasing a new one.

I certainly don't want to get one and then in two weeks have a new one come out. :mad:

(I mean obviously a new one will come out sometime but I guess I don't want to get it at the end of the current model's life cycle.)

Does anyone have any idea what the likelihood is that this new release will correct the many problems (paint, heat, battery life, etc) that have plagued powerbook users AND have the new ATI Radeon 9000 graphics chip??

Anyway your opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.

jefhatfield
Oct 6, 2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by prefect
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a powerbook but I have been reading (on this site as well as others) that Apple may not be too far off from releasing a new one.

I certainly don't want to get one and then in two weeks have a new one come out. :mad:

(I mean obviously a new one will come out sometime but I guess I don't want to get it at the end of the current model's life cycle.)

Does anyone have any idea what the likelihood is that this new release will correct the many problems (paint, heat, battery life, etc) that have plagued powerbook users AND have the new ATI Radeon 9000 graphics chip??

Anyway your opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.

just my guess, but i don't think powerbook will see anything really major except for speedbumps and maybe new video card

but if you are thinking G5 processor anytime soon, i don't think so...but one day sometime in 2003, there will be G5s across the entire professional line, but late next year, imho

hope this helps

anyway, powerbook is way ahead of ibook

madamimadam
Oct 6, 2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by prefect
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a powerbook but I have been reading (on this site as well as others) that Apple may not be too far off from releasing a new one.

I certainly don't want to get one and then in two weeks have a new one come out. :mad:

(I mean obviously a new one will come out sometime but I guess I don't want to get it at the end of the current model's life cycle.)

Does anyone have any idea what the likelihood is that this new release will correct the many problems (paint, heat, battery life, etc) that have plagued powerbook users AND have the new ATI Radeon 9000 graphics chip??

Anyway your opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.

I always think it is worthwhile waiting until the next release to buy (assuming the last release did not just happen). Machines will always get faster and there is nothing you can do about that so you might as well wait and get the next best thing on the market.

As per those rumors, the PowerBook is due next week so you might as well wait at least until then.

Also, after a release, you have 2 options. You can buy the newest thing on the market or, if you thought the previous release was fine, you can by the previous model item for a nicely reduced price.

Backtothemac
Oct 6, 2002, 09:42 PM
Well,
I just bought one a month ago. I would seriously consider waiting for another two or three weeks. If nothing, then get the current model. I don't know what to think about future models, but I love mine.

madamimadam
Oct 6, 2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well,
I just bought one a month ago. I would seriously consider waiting for another two or three weeks. If nothing, then get the current model. I don't know what to think about future models, but I love mine.

I know I am going to by a low end PowerBook as soon as the new ones come out. I don't really care if they do not come out next week, as long as new ones come out. I would imagine, though, that since they are 6 months old there will be a new one soonish.

robbieduncan
Oct 7, 2002, 05:18 AM
I too am considering a Powerbook to replace my aging iBook SE (466). What I really want is built in bluetooth. Any thoughts on if/when this is coming to the Mac range?

jefhatfield
Oct 7, 2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam


I know I am going to by a low end PowerBook as soon as the new ones come out. I don't really care if they do not come out next week, as long as new ones come out. I would imagine, though, that since they are 6 months old there will be a new one soonish.

speedbumps and small things? or new case, bluetooth, and dual processors?

like i said, most likely not a G5 anytime soon but a G4 with better battery life and less heat, and at 1 ghz would be almost as cool

ddtlm
Oct 7, 2002, 12:45 PM
prefect:

Your odds of getting a PBook that corrects the heat problems seems slim because faster processors and faster graphics will make more heat (until such time as these are fabbed on smaller processes, which is almost certainly not happening in the next PBook update).

DreaminDirector
Oct 7, 2002, 12:47 PM
I bought an 800mhz powerbook about a month ago and with all the rumors about whats coming up next, I felt that I should have wait. However, when I stopped to think about it, I could add bluetooth via that little USB module on apple's site. And get a firewire DVD burner if the new superdrive comes out (that is of course if i really NEED any of that and/or have enough money). What ever it is that you decide, whether to get one now or wait, just remember to love it. And don't listen to rumors like I did, it'll only depress you.

jefhatfield
Oct 7, 2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ddtlm
prefect:

Your odds of getting a PBook that corrects the heat problems seems slim because faster processors and faster graphics will make more heat (until such time as these are fabbed on smaller processes, which is almost certainly not happening in the next PBook update).

i know that ;)

i was just hoping for a G4 built on those smaller micron processes, that's all:p

smaller chip, more transistors, less heat, more speed, and an aid in helping the tibook form factor get to around .80" inch like some wintels are at this time in full sized screen laptops

some wintels, ultra-portables, have reached a thinness below .70" inch!

blackpeter
Oct 7, 2002, 12:51 PM
Bottom line: Wait until the new PB's come out.

I too am interested in getting one of these. I'd be satisfied with one of the current 667's, but I'm waiting for the upgrades and, with them, lower prices.

jefhatfield
Oct 7, 2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by tfaz1
Bottom line: Wait until the new PB's come out.

I too am interested in getting one of these. I'd be satisfied with one of the current 667's, but I'm waiting for the upgrades and, with them, lower prices.

if we can't get a much more improved tibook this october or whenever, at least the current ti 667s and 800s will be cheaper and that is something good, no matter what

just think, the powerbooks started at 400 and 500 mhz and even compared to most wintel laptops today, the early powerbooks are still a more desirable computer on the go

so would i get a reduced priced 667 for, let's say, $2199?

you bet!

cleo
Oct 7, 2002, 01:53 PM
I too am lusting after a PowerBook. I want to pay cash for mine, though (no more big purchases on credit, ugh), so I'll likely be waiting till January. What I'm really curious about is the packaging. The paint problems with the current TiBook, combined with the gradual elimination of black from the Apple color scheme, makes me wonder if we're in for a whole new skin with the next major release.

Speaking of... what in your mind defines a major update as opposed to a minor one?

Angelus
Oct 7, 2002, 02:15 PM
Hey,i know how you feel cos i was in the exact same situation about two weeks ago.This site is great cos you often get the heads up as to when new hardwares coming and so you can often make an educated purchase.However the downside is that you can become slightly paranoid,postponing purchases cos something "may" be released next week/month/quarter.If new powerbooks are supposed to arrive next week then wait but after that just buy.
I decided last January that i was gonna make a purchase in summer after i finished my exams to reward myself.Everything was rosy til i heard of new powermacs and 17inch iMacs looming on the horizon so then i decided to wait til mwny to buy.They came out in august and i waited until test results were in.However by then i wasnt convinced of the improvements and besides what was i going to need all that power for anyway.Sure dual processors and a superdrive would be nice but i didnt need either of them.
Then i saw the powerbook 667 and it was sexy,powerful and portable plus it could match if not exceed the iMac 800 15inch in all tasks.Needless to say I was sold.Sure i heard the rumors about new powerbooks but i dont need a faster processor,my 667 is doing just fine now and will for the next year or two.So now i have my computer about 3 months later than expected and i could have just bought this model in june in the first place.
So after all that waffle i guess im trying to say wait for this week only.I wasted three months cos i was waiting for something that would be bigger and better than what went before but thats always gonna be the case.In actual fact i didnt need all the new features,it was just a case of wanting to have the latest and greatest.
Of course,thats my issue and everyone's situation is unique.But please,assess what it is you NEED from the powerbook.If you NEED the faster processor and new graphics card and superdrive then wait but if not think about buying one of the current models cos you can always buy an external superdrive later.

Hope that helps and buy the way you made a good choice with the powerbook,it is a beautiful machine in every aspect.

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by prefect
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a powerbook but I have been reading (on this site as well as others) that Apple may not be too far off from releasing a new one.

I certainly don't want to get one and then in two weeks have a new one come out. :mad:

(I mean obviously a new one will come out sometime but I guess I don't want to get it at the end of the current model's life cycle.)

Does anyone have any idea what the likelihood is that this new release will correct the many problems (paint, heat, battery life, etc) that have plagued powerbook users AND have the new ATI Radeon 9000 graphics chip??

Anyway your opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.

yeah, if i were you i would definetly wait!

madamimadam
Oct 7, 2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield


speedbumps and small things? or new case, bluetooth, and dual processors?

like i said, most likely not a G5 anytime soon but a G4 with better battery life and less heat, and at 1 ghz would be almost as cool

I think if there was a new case we would have heard about it already, unfortunately. I think Bluetooth is an option... I am just praying at the moment because I don't want to have to dangle a USB adaptor. Dual Processors will never happen, the PowerBooks are WAY to hot as it is. Definately a small speed bump.

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam


I think if there was a new case we would have heard about it already, unfortunately. I think Bluetooth is an option... I am just praying at the moment because I don't want to have to dangle a USB adaptor. Dual Processors will never happen, the PowerBooks are WAY to hot as it is. Definately a small speed bump.

I disagree.. I think that dual processors will happen in laptops eventually. But as for now, you are right, the heat is bad as it is... dual processors will fry an egg! In fact, it could probably roast chicken.. Hmm... a cheap grill.. nah... I'll just get a george forman's lol! No, seriously, I think that event though the dual processors aren't gonna be out for a littel while in pbooks, i think you should wait about three moths before buying a new one... b/c jan 1st historically brings some new things!

Over Achiever
Oct 7, 2002, 06:21 PM
All I can tell ya is, I think waiting to buy until the next update is the best way to go. Unless you don't have a comp and need it now, then buy now. Otherwise the current models might be discounted, there might be features in the new pb that you would have waited a bit longer for.

I'm waiting to buy my first mac, a pb;)

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
All I can tell ya is, I think waiting to buy until the next update is the best way to go. Unless you don't have a comp and need it now, then buy now. Otherwise the current models might be discounted, there might be features in the new pb that you would have waited a bit longer for.

I'm waiting to buy my first mac, a pb;)

OH WOW, YOUR FIRST MAC? a switcher? way cool- i commend you. I have tons of friends who i am trying to get to switch, maybe you could email them! Welcome to the mac community- we r glad u r here! BTW, Jaguar rules, i think you will like it a lot... if you need hlep with anything... ask the fine people on this site, or email me samdweck@mac.com

madamimadam
Oct 7, 2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by samdweck


I disagree.. I think that dual processors will happen in laptops eventually. But as for now, you are right, the heat is bad as it is... dual processors will fry an egg! In fact, it could probably roast chicken.. Hmm... a cheap grill.. nah... I'll just get a george forman's lol! No, seriously, I think that event though the dual processors aren't gonna be out for a littel while in pbooks, i think you should wait about three moths before buying a new one... b/c jan 1st historically brings some new things!

If I was not worried that the paint would peel off onto my food
:)

Sorry, when I said "it will never happen" I meant it will never happen in the next release.

King Cobra
Oct 7, 2002, 07:32 PM
Echoing wait a few weeks...otherwise you'll be kicking yourself in the teeth real hard! :eek:

>(cleo) Speaking of... what in your mind defines a major update as opposed to a minor one?

Minor update: Rev. B of the Powerbooks originally came with a DVD drive, then the Combo Drive was added a month later. That's minor because it's just one part of the Powerbook model getting an upgrade.

Major update: Change in processor speed, change in most internal hardware, solved issues with the prev. Rev. Powerbooks (ie A/B had severe heat problems and a high res. screen, C fixed the heat issue and increased the screen res.), etc.

samdweck
Oct 7, 2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam


If I was not worried that the paint would peel off onto my food
:)

Sorry, when I said "it will never happen" I meant it will never happen in the next release.

okay, good poitn then... something useful to think about... and btw, that grill would be so cool, apple should make them just as grills!

madamimadam
Oct 7, 2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by samdweck


okay, good poitn then... something useful to think about... and btw, that grill would be so cool, apple should make them just as grills!

That would be possible if they did not know that someone would outdo them with an x86 model grill
:)

jefhatfield
Oct 7, 2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by cleo
I too am lusting after a PowerBook. I want to pay cash for mine, though (no more big purchases on credit, ugh), so I'll likely be waiting till January

i bought my ibook cash...best move, financially

then i bought a pc laptop which will be paid off late next year...four years total to pay the darn thing off mostly due to 23% percent interest on the card!

i thought about finishing grad school on credit (at 9.9% percent or thru student loan at 7% percent)...either way, i pay for fifteen years or i pay for over twenty years...not a good value unless i have a lifelong direction like being a doctor or lawyer...but then i would have to be committed to that until i was retired to get my value back... putting an expensive education for master's on credit or loan without a tried and true career is guarantee that one will be in debt for life

one of my clients put his $4,000 dollar pc laptop on credit in 2000 and he is not even halfway being done paying that thing off and he makes payments several times over the minimum payment like i always do on credit payments

so i will go after a new apple laptop when;

1) i have the money in cash and then,
2) when apple comes up with a laptop way over what they have right now
3) if nothing comes for a long time and it looks like nothing is going to happen, i will get a current apple laptop when it goes on discount:p

i don't want to buy on plastic another thing that is high ticket ever again

prefect
Oct 7, 2002, 08:23 PM
Yeah I am thinking waiting would be in my best interest. I just hope the next iteration will be out by Jan.

This will be my first Mac and I can hardly contain myself!!!

Thanks everyone.

cb911
Oct 8, 2002, 02:13 AM
i would definitely wait. that's what i did before i got my rev.C that i have now, and it paid off big time! now i've got the 32MB video card instead of the 16MB. it should only be another couple of weeks and we should see the updates.

dj g
Oct 12, 2002, 08:49 AM
just something to keep in mind. Personally I hope apple comes out with a revision before the end of the year, and I will buy my PB if/when they do . I mainly use os 10.2 but I like being able to boot from the os 9 cd expecially when scsi drives start behaving strange in x.

prefect
Oct 12, 2002, 11:15 AM
I wish someone knew what the deal was with these new releases....

Half are saying October 15th and the other half say after January!!

Which is it!?!?

I don't know if I can wait 3 or 4 months!

Is this 10/15 release going to happen or not :confused:

There is a story at http://www.macosrumors.com/ and after reading it it sounds like a new release is just around the corner but people say that mosr doesn't know anything.....ACK!

madamimadam
Oct 12, 2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by prefect
I wish someone knew what the deal was with these new releases....

Half are saying October 15th and the other half say after January!!

Which is it!?!?

I don't know if I can wait 3 or 4 months!

Is this 10/15 release going to happen or not :confused:

There is a story at http://www.macosrumors.com/ and after reading it it sounds like a new release is just around the corner but people say that mosr doesn't know anything.....ACK!

I am getting VERY worried.... I am going to buy a PB as soon as the new ones come out and I was getting ready for them this week but usually before a release the rumour sites go wild and there is information about every aspect of the release being thrown around but last week there was nothing substance said.

I want my PB... my first lap top
:(

rjsen
Oct 12, 2002, 10:16 PM
I'm in pretty much the same position -- I want to get a PowerBook (my first Mac) before I go back to school in January, but I'm waiting for them to release new ones. Even if they don't arrive until January, I'd rather wait and get something fresh instead of the current model, which has been around for a while (even though it's still a great computer).

On another note, the UCSB Bookstore (http://www.bookstore.ucsb.edu/computers/index.html) has HUGE discounts on PowerBooks for current students -- the 667 is going for $1899, and the 800 is $2399. There's a note saying "Limited to stock on hand." Wonder what that means...

jefhatfield
Oct 13, 2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by rjsen
I'm in pretty much the same position -- I want to get a PowerBook (my first Mac) before I go back to school in January, but I'm waiting for them to release new ones. Even if they don't arrive until January, I'd rather wait and get something fresh instead of the current model, which has been around for a while (even though it's still a great computer).

On another note, the UCSB Bookstore (http://www.bookstore.ucsb.edu/computers/index.html) has HUGE discounts on PowerBooks for current students -- the 667 is going for $1899, and the 800 is $2399. There's a note saying "Limited to stock on hand." Wonder what that means...

those are great deals on mac stuff

dadder
Oct 13, 2002, 08:52 PM
In response to:

samdweck
Guest

Registered: Sep 2002
Location: 1 Infinite Loop
Posts: 237

Sam,
If you are who you say you are, please enlighten us with some details that we can relate to, i.e. will the new PowerBooks have glow in the dark keys and an 18" screen that would be fitting for a size increased PowerBook housing dual processors? Inquiring minds want to know! It would be great for Digital Video editors.

My B/W G3/400 was literally brought back to life with Jaguar installed and a new 7200rpm drive put in it. But as good as this baby is, my demand for portability will outdo my nostalgia and I'm bustin' for a new PowerBook no later than January. That's when I'll have all my Christmas cash ready to spend.;)