PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air 11 first impressions after an MBP

lundh
Oct 13, 2011, 01:09 AM
I'm very impressed with this little thing. I used to have the most recent version of the 15" Macbook Pro, 2.2 GHz, 8 GB, hires antiglare and SSD, but I killed that one off with water. Turns out a leaky water bottle (didn't know it was leaking) really makes huge damage to the Macbook Pro that is below it...

Anyway, I decided that my replacement should be something a bit more portable so I got the 11 Air, fully equipped and with a Thunderbolt display to use at home.

I must say that I am really impressed by the speed and size of the thing. I thought the MBP would have spoiled me and sure, the MBP hugely fast but the Air almost as fast for daily work, much faster then my Mac Mini from this spring (pre update).

The 11 Air and the Thunderbolt display is really my ideal setup. I have the Thunderbolt display hooked up to my wired network so whenever I need a huge monitor I also get the faster network.

I was always reminded that I had the Pro with me but I hardly notice the Air at all, It really takes up much less room in the messenger.

One other thing the Air does much much better then the Pro is wifi. The 2011 Pros really have crappy wireless performance, the Air does not.

Not sure if this was of any help to anyone but it is what it is. :)

jamesvdm
Oct 13, 2011, 01:22 AM
Thanks, good post!

Confuzzzed
Oct 13, 2011, 03:32 AM
Good work! The 11' MBA is so light you hardly know you are carrying it! I moved over from the 2010 11' to the 2011 13' primarily for battery life and although I no longer have to carry the charger with me, you can feel the extra weight

orfeas0
Oct 13, 2011, 09:08 AM
A bottle ON your macbook? Oh that's not cool, bro! I guess you learned your lesson and you'll be more careful now, and I suggest to not have open bottles near it (or cans, or anything that when overturned can ruin your laptop).

lundh
Oct 13, 2011, 09:48 AM
A bottle ON your macbook? Oh that's not cool, bro! I guess you learned your lesson and you'll be more careful now, and I suggest to not have open bottles near it (or cans, or anything that when overturned can ruin your laptop).
I had the laptop and the water bottle in the same bag on the way from work. It was on top of the laptop when it started to leak. I made sure that the bottle was watertight before I even considered having it near the computer, but something must have happened. Bad luck I guess...

mrsir2009
Oct 13, 2011, 02:03 PM

What? I rest my cup of tea on my MacBook Pro's palmrest in between sips.:)

molala
Oct 13, 2011, 04:18 PM

I wish I were as brave as you. I can never put any drink within spilling radius.

Ubuntu
Oct 13, 2011, 04:51 PM

Crikey, I don't dare put a drink anywhere near my computer.

Cheffy Dave
Oct 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
The 11" MBA is awesome, attached to the ACD it is perfect!:eek::cool::rolleyes:

----------

What are you thinking?