PDA

View Full Version : Sleep light on PowerBook

indigoblu
May 7, 2005, 12:30 PM
I had an iBook, now I have a powerbook. Both have the feature when I shut the computers and they are in sleep mode, the light goes from dim to bright to dim to bright..... It drives me nuts. I have to put my computer in a drawer or cover it up at night. Does anyone know how to turn the light off? or have it be constant? Is there a download that fixes it? Any advice please?

May 7, 2005, 12:33 PM
Don't think it can be turned off... just get a black sharpie and color the light, or turn the notebook toward the wall; so you dont see the light.

killuminati
May 7, 2005, 01:26 PM
I have the exact same problem as you. It used to drive me crazy at night!!!

Now I just put some clothes over my pb. :p hey, I mean at least it gets rid of the problem.

PlaceofDis
May 7, 2005, 01:29 PM
is a tiny light, but it doesnt bother me, as far as i know there is no way to turn it off, rather than sharpie it as someone suggested i would think that a small perfectly cut piece of electrical tape would be a much better solution, or just leave and im sure you will get used to it....

quackattack
May 7, 2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah there is not really a good solution. I agree, I hate the light! It is so bright that when I turn it around it still lights up the whole wall!

I have just got in the habit of throwing a shirt over it at night, but I may try the electrical tape or the sharpie. Seems like the only solution.

ham_man
May 7, 2005, 01:49 PM
The first night that I had by PB, I thought that I had ghosts. Now, I just place a small towel infront of it that I use for a hand rest anyway. Works like a charm, and nothing sticky is put on my precious nor is anything drawn on my precious...

goodtimes5
May 7, 2005, 02:01 PM
I just place my iBook light-down on the floor, leaning against a drawer. If I'm charging it, I place a binder over the iBook.

For the light on my iMac, I use the iBook sleeve to cover it up.

killuminati
May 7, 2005, 02:13 PM
I just place my iBook light-down on the floor, leaning against a drawer. If I'm charging it, I place a binder over the iBook.

For the light on my iMac, I use the iBook sleeve to cover it up.

Haha, it seems like such a routine for such a small issue.

Apple should consider doing something to tell you that the computer is sleeping.

indigoblu
May 7, 2005, 02:21 PM
I've been covering my iBook for years with clothes etc. But there's nothing worse than getting in bed and forgetting to do that. I don't understand what kind of idiot programmer thought it would be a good idea to make the light pulsate!!! I'm going to keep looking around and see if I can find a hack to turn it off. I'd rather not have to cover my new powerbook with clothes or a magic marker/tape.

killuminati
May 7, 2005, 02:23 PM
I'm actually very used to covering it with clothes now.

Its just part of my nightly routine, like brushing my teeth.

goodtimes5
May 7, 2005, 02:27 PM
You may find it annoying, but Windows users find it mighty attractive. That's all I worry about.

PlaceofDis
May 7, 2005, 02:27 PM
just out of curiosity.....where do you guys live that you need your rooms to be pitch black and that they are besides the light from your book??

im from chicago, with the streetlights and neighbors and whatnot there is a glow throughout the city even at night, and light will always be peaking in the window somehow, the only way i would ever get a truly dark room is to have no window....and that would just suck

maybe thats why im a bit more tolerate of the sleep light, i dont even notice it.... but thats just me

grapes911
May 7, 2005, 02:29 PM
You may find it annoying, but Windows users find it mighty attractive. That's all I worry about.

They you have to get your priorities in order. Function and usability should always be before impressing windows users.

BKKloppenborg
May 7, 2005, 02:31 PM
just out of curiosity.....where do you guys live that you need your rooms to be pitch black and that they are besides the light from your book??

im from chicago, with the streetlights and neighbors and whatnot there is a glow throughout the city even at night, and light will always be peaking in the window somehow, the only way i would ever get a truly dark room is to have no window....and that would just suck

maybe thats why im a bit more tolerate of the sleep light, i dont even notice it.... but thats just me

its dark where i live I live in a small neighboorhood and we have no street lights so when it gets dark it gets REALLY dark.. Although light dosn't bother me at all... **** if i am tired enough i can have rock music on my speackers and still go to sleep lol...

goodtimes5
May 7, 2005, 02:48 PM
They you have to get your priorities in order. Function and usability should always be before impressing windows users.
That's why I use Apple; they combine the two into one package.

russed
May 7, 2005, 03:11 PM
no, i like it but you cant turn it off. it makes it look like you powerbook is breathing!

get a black maker pen and colour over it, or maybe tip-ex, would look a bit messy though!

yg17
May 7, 2005, 03:34 PM
If you know what youre doing, it wouldnt be difficult to open up your PB and cut the wires that lead to the light

greenguy4
May 7, 2005, 03:37 PM
If you know what youre doing, it wouldnt be difficult to open up your PB and cut the wires that lead to the light
scary!

admanimal
May 7, 2005, 03:40 PM
I dont know if other Macs have this feature, but the new iMacs have an ambient light sensor that adjusts the brightness of the sleep light according to how bright the room is. So if it's dark, presumably the light won't be very bright.

tekmoe
May 7, 2005, 05:04 PM
from what i read on the apple.com forums, by pressing alt-option-eject on the powerbook keyboard, the sleep light will not be as bright.

killuminati
May 7, 2005, 05:09 PM
from what i read on the apple.com forums, by pressing alt-option-eject on the powerbook keyboard, the sleep light will not be as bright.

Um i just tried that and closed my pb, but it looks the exact same.

gdl96
May 7, 2005, 06:28 PM
I just put my black ipod case in front of it at night. It's already sitting on my desk next to my PB, and its the perfect height to just block out the light.

tekmoe
May 7, 2005, 06:51 PM
Um i just tried that and closed my pb, but it looks the exact same.

Um try it harder. It works great for me.

MoparShaha
May 7, 2005, 06:53 PM
Here's another vote for the T-shirt over the PB. I find the sleep light useful, so I wouldn't want to permanently cover/disable it.

killuminati
May 7, 2005, 06:58 PM

Just pressing option-eject????

That does absolutely nothing for me.

StarbucksSam
May 7, 2005, 07:01 PM
Don't think it can be turned off... just get a black sharpie and color the light, or turn the notebook toward the wall; so you dont see the light.

That'll be good for resale value.

greenguy4
May 7, 2005, 07:04 PM
So Alt-Eject for PB's....Anything for iBooks?

killuminati
May 7, 2005, 07:07 PM
So Alt-Eject for PB's....Anything for iBooks?

No! not alt-eject for PB's! I cant get that damn thing to work!

Applespider
May 7, 2005, 07:09 PM
Seriously guys, just drop a sock over it or leave the 'book in another room. Much easier than remembering key combinations each time that you shut the lid!

goodtimes5
May 7, 2005, 08:13 PM
He got to sit there, jamming your keys, and staring into a bright light.

Cybernanga
May 7, 2005, 09:02 PM
LOL, I have an iBook, and the light actually helps me get to sleep!

I time my breathing to the light, and think happy thoughts, and pretty soon, I'm fast asleep.

Anyway, To the guy who wanted to open the iBook and cut the wires, if you do open it, you'll find that it's much better to un-plug the connecter than cut the wires.

Or, once it's open, you can slip a piece of black film between the light and the casing, and that should eliminate the glow. I've actually got a piece of red film in there, to give my iBook's sleep light an "evil" glow, but I'm thinking of changing it to blue.

P.S. Opening iBook's is not a task for the faint-hearted.

tekmoe
May 7, 2005, 09:08 PM

Let me correct myself. I was drunk earlier.

Alt-Apple-Eject.

Press all three at the same time. It will put your powerbook into sleep mode, and the sleep light will be noticeably dimmer. It DOES work for me.

StarbucksSam
May 7, 2005, 09:09 PM
I time my breathing to the light, and think happy thoughts, and pretty soon, I'm fast asleep.

Oh... kay. Haha. Yeah... not sure how to respond to that one. But at least you're creative. haha. Better than counting sheep.

Abstract
May 7, 2005, 09:36 PM
The light is not a big deal, you whiney babies!!! :p

macdad2
May 7, 2005, 10:09 PM
alt apple eject works great! Thanks for the tip!

tekmoe
May 7, 2005, 10:25 PM
my friend tested the alt-apple-eject on his rev. a and it did not put it into sleep mode. anyone else having the same problem with rev. a's?

killuminati
May 7, 2005, 10:33 PM
Let me correct myself. I was drunk earlier.

Alt-Apple-Eject.

Press all three at the same time. It will put your powerbook into sleep mode, and the sleep light will be noticeably dimmer. It DOES work for me.

Ahh now it works, thanks a lot.

How do you reverse it to put it back to normal?

tekmoe
May 7, 2005, 10:40 PM
Ahh now it works, thanks a lot.

How do you reverse it to put it back to normal?

i just put it to sleep as i normally would...either closing the lid, or clicking apple>sleep. then the light is bright again.

killuminati
May 7, 2005, 10:49 PM
i just put it to sleep as i normally would...either closing the lid, or clicking apple>sleep. then the light is bright again.

oh that seems to work.

So I will just have to do command-alt-eject everytime at night before i put my pb to sleep. Thanks a lot for the tip.

Nermal
May 7, 2005, 11:06 PM
What I used to do with my iBook was turn the LCD backlight off, and leave it open.

killuminati
May 8, 2005, 12:07 AM
What I used to do with my iBook was turn the LCD backlight off, and leave it open.

I do that whenever I am downloading, rendering, encoding etc... overnight.
It actually does fix the problem except that I don't like leaving my pb open, im not sure why.

EGT
May 8, 2005, 07:41 AM
What is wrong with you people!? Its the Powerbooks "snoring" light. That's why its pulsating! Acts as a good night light. :p

Can you not just shut down or cover it over with something?

Gary King
Jul 3, 2005, 11:34 PM
I wish it could stop pulsating, as well :(

TheMonarch
Jul 4, 2005, 12:18 AM

OMG IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

Superdrive
Jul 4, 2005, 01:36 AM
am I supposed to notice a difference? on my 12" PB rev D, I see nothing except the light pulsating faster. :confused:

Gary King
Jul 4, 2005, 11:03 AM
am I supposed to notice a difference? on my 12" PB rev D, I see nothing except the light pulsating faster. :confused:
Yeah, seems to be the case.

Switzermac
Jul 4, 2005, 11:26 AM
I find it soothing at night since it allows me to sleep better

jalagl
Jul 4, 2005, 12:22 PM
I have the exact same problem as you. It used to drive me crazy at night!!!

Now I just put some clothes over my pb. :p hey, I mean at least it gets rid of the problem.

That's what I do. I have the PB in my room, and the light just won't let me sleep. I just cover it with a shirt or something.

Nitrocide
Jan 19, 2007, 10:51 PM
Doesnt that command just mimic exactly what happens when you tell your 'book to sleep with the lid open via tapping the power button and selecting sleep/going to the apple emnu and selecting sleep?

Due to like... the ambient sensors? I'm sure it has the same effect. :confused:

brnbenefield
Jan 19, 2007, 11:58 PM
hay jest turn off your mac

MacNut
Jan 20, 2007, 12:50 AM
Just throw a t shirt over it, that is what I've done for years.:)