Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Hi all, I just purchased a new powerbook to replace my old iBook. I love it except for one thing, now F8-F10 control the keyboard backlight instead of expose. I almost never use that light, but I use expose all the time. Naturally I can push Fn-f9/10 to get expose, but it's annoying to have to press 2 buttons when I never use the feature that I get with 1 button.

Any help would be appreciated.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Open up System Preferences, and go to the Keyboard & Mouse section.

On the Keyboard tab, there's an option halfway down that changes this:

"Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features"

Hope that helps. :)

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
andrewfee said:
Open up System Preferences, and go to the Keyboard & Mouse section.

On the Keyboard tab, there's an option halfway down that changes this:

"Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features"

Hope that helps. :)

Sorry, I mean to say this in my original, I would still like to control the volume and brightness with one key...this is really frustrating. If I use the keys to control software features, I can no longer adjust the volume with 1 keypress. Boy am I lazy :p

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
w00tmaster said:
Sorry, I mean to say this in my original, I would still like to control the volume and brightness with one key...this is really frustrating. If I use the keys to control software features, I can no longer adjust the volume with 1 keypress. Boy am I lazy :p

I feel your pain. I still control the volume with the buttons and I can still do exposé without clicking anything at all-- I just activated hot corners to do it for me. After about 3 days of it, it's second nature, just like how reacing for F9 was. I hope this helps! :D

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I'd have to agree with Katie. I chose to move Exposé to F11 and F12 and use hotcorners for Dashboard and the third Exposé function. I've found that I rarely use the "application windows" one, but use the "desktop" and "all windows" ones all the time and have them set to F11 and F12. I activate Dashboard with the Dock icon (since you need the mouse to manipulate the Dashboard widgets, I've found this *much* faster than a shortcut key anyway).

Since the third function is rarely used, having it as a screen corner works great for me. Pressing Fn+F10 wouldn't kill me either. You just have to pick your favorites for the two free function keys :).

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
Hi all, I just purchased a new powerbook to replace my old iBook. I love it except for one thing, now F8-F10 control the keyboard backlight instead of expose. I almost never use that light, but I use expose all the time. Naturally I can push Fn-f9/10 to get expose, but it's annoying to have to press 2 buttons when I never use the feature that I get with 1 button.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bump. :( Mapping F-keys to software is no good - I want single key access to brightness, volume and expose (on F9 and F10 like my other Macs I'm used to). Who cares about backlight brightness over expose?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.