PDA

View Full Version : Siri Can Make Calls from a Locked iPhone (By Design)

MacRumors
Oct 14, 2011, 09:01 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/siri-can-make-calls-from-a-locked-iphone-by-design/)

Weng Chin (http://wengchin.com/) points out something he describes as a security flaw in the iPhone 4S with Siri. In this video, Chin demonstrates that a user can make phone calls from the iPhone 4S even while it is protected by the iPhone:

UM0Ee4KW5-I
At 1 minute and 5 seconds in the video, Chin shows using Siri to make a phone call despite the iPhone 4S being locked. This seems to be by design, however.

Having Siri enabled while your phone is locked allows for you to continue to have hands free usage of your phone, even when in a locked state. Apple does offer you the ability to turn Siri off on the Lock Screen, if you prefer more security over convenience. In previous iPhones without Siri, users could similarly dial arbitrary numbers using Voice Dial even when the iPhone was locked. Apple similarly offered an option for Voice Dial to be turned off on the Lock Screen only.

Article Link: Siri Can Make Calls from a Locked iPhone (By Design) (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/siri-can-make-calls-from-a-locked-iphone-by-design/)

tigres
Oct 14, 2011, 09:03 AM
It was this way with Voice dial as well. it should work this way, always.
who cares; what are they going to do- call mom?

bryanjc
Oct 14, 2011, 09:10 AM
WRONG.

There is an option to switch this off.

Under Passcode lock ''Do not allow access to Siri when locked with a passcode'.

You obviously have that option selected.

ALR26
Oct 14, 2011, 09:10 AM
What about voicemail? Can that be checked when the iPhone is locked?

Djs621
Oct 14, 2011, 09:14 AM
Weng Chin?? What about giving me the credit one of your faithful macrumors reaaders :(

sideburn
Oct 14, 2011, 09:22 AM
WRONG.

LOL, they went to all that trouble to create a video when it's obvious you can toggle this feature on and off... :D

hobo.hopkins
Oct 14, 2011, 09:34 AM
I think people should be a little more careful before labelling something a "flaw".

Amazing Iceman
Oct 14, 2011, 09:58 AM
LOL, they went to all that trouble to create a video when it's obvious you can toggle this feature on and off... :D

That's what happen to people who don't like to read the manual!

NAG
Oct 14, 2011, 09:59 AM
And here starts the search for the next Apple-Gate. Will they unlock the eighth chevron and where will it lead?!

fabianjj
Oct 14, 2011, 10:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why is this news? My iPhone 4 did this out of the box, although I do not recall whether or not there was an option to turn off that specifically on iOS 4.x

iAshley
Oct 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Speak password to unlock: *cough*
No one would ever know

dhickey90
Oct 14, 2011, 10:41 AM
You can do that with voice control on IOS 4.

goofy1958
Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 AM
Yup, that even works on my old 3GS! Silly people who don't read the book.

toddybody
Oct 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
As they point out, you can disable Siri functionality while locked...so, how is this a security issue?

Nikhil72
Oct 14, 2011, 11:45 AM

Can you do other things like schedule a reminder or do a search with Siri when the phone is locked and password-protected?

mingoglia
Oct 14, 2011, 11:45 AM
As they point out, you can disable Siri functionality while locked...so, how is this a security issue?

It seems like everyone these days is in a rat race to get videos online. The phone wasn't his and he obviously spent limited time on it. If someone posts a video they're automatically an "expert" but it's obvious to me he probably only spent minutes with the device before joining the rat race and wasn't aware this is a convenience function that can be turned off and not a flaw.

ranReloaded
Oct 14, 2011, 01:01 PM
And here starts the search for the next Apple-Gate. Will they unlock the eighth chevron and where will it lead?!

We have to stop this "this-gate that-gate" trend. What are we gonna call it when Bill Gates gets involved in a scandal? "Gatesgate?" :D

Laird Knox
Oct 14, 2011, 02:32 PM
We have to stop this "this-gate that-gate" trend. What are we gonna call it when Bill Gates gets involved in a scandal? "Gatesgate?" :D

Unfortunately the scandal involved the gate to his front yard and it became known as Gatesgategate. :p

garbeth
Oct 14, 2011, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately the scandal involved the gate to his front yard and it became known as Gatesgategate. :p

Well played sir!

Snypod
Oct 14, 2011, 03:48 PM
For those saying iOS 4 already does this, Voice Control can only call people in your contacts list, not random numbers like is shown in the video.

[edit] Never mind. I was wrong.

76ers
Oct 15, 2011, 04:21 AM
For those saying iOS 4 already does this, Voice Control can only call people in your contacts list, not random numbers like is shown in the video.

Wrong. Voice Control on iOS 4 can also dial random numbers too except instead of saying "Call" you say "Dial". Call works for contacts while Dial works for random numbers.

CALL [contact's name] = Will call your address book contacts
DIAL [xxx-xxx-xxxx] = Will call any random number

It works on 3Gs too

:apple:

batchtaster
Oct 15, 2011, 05:56 AM
I hope he enjoys his 15 seconds of fame.

NAG
Oct 15, 2011, 11:34 AM

But how will they discover the mysteries of the universe?!

sennekuyl
Oct 16, 2011, 12:09 AM
unfortunately the scandal involved the gate to his front yard and it became known as gatesgategate. :p

tmi!

MacinDoc
Oct 16, 2011, 01:23 AM
Weng, the only security flaw is you, because you haven't made the effort to learn how to secure your phone!

mikerr
Oct 16, 2011, 06:07 AM
Wrong. Voice Control on iOS 4 can also dial random numbers too except instead of saying "Call" you say "Dial".

While you can turn off voice dialling on lock screen in settings (should be off by default).

you seemingly CAN'T turn off voice control completely ,
nor turn off ipod control (double tap home button).

No idea if its similar in 4S

vitzr
Oct 16, 2011, 06:21 AM

True. Yet it's my understanding it was the back yard which caused...

Gatesgategategate :)

kemo
Oct 16, 2011, 06:26 AM
Well, at lest Weng enjoyed his 15 seconds of fame! Now you can delete the video from Youtube and return the iPhone 4S back to ur friend, and please tell him to read a manual :cool:

zweigand
Oct 16, 2011, 04:49 PM
They should have that toggle listed directly in Siri prefs too. That's an obvious place to look ...it's where I looked first.

steadysignal
Oct 16, 2011, 05:04 PM
WRONG.

well played.

there is no reason for the option to allow a locked phone to be dialed. don't give me emergencies...

S0ULphIRE
Oct 16, 2011, 10:04 PM
Issue here is Siri *with default settings* can read your notes, show your appointments, send msgs and make calls to ANYONE (not just emergency numbers) with the passcode lock on. You have to actually change it so it doesn't. The average joe will not delve into settings much, especially to change around random settings he doesn't know anything about.

That's the real security flaw.

Reason077
Oct 17, 2011, 03:31 AM
Yikes! Siri sounds awful with an Australian accent!!