PDA

View Full Version : Siri on Android vs. iPhone

MacRumors
Oct 14, 2011, 11:36 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/siri-on-android-vs-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/android.jpg

Siri stays tactful when responding to questions about Android. But when pressed for which is the best phone, she's not modest:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/best.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/best.jpg)

thanks @JonShanny (http://twitter.com/#!/JonShanny/status/124882170539028480) and octatonic (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13606528&postcount=102).

Article Link: Siri on Android vs. iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/siri-on-android-vs-iphone/)

jmpnop
Oct 14, 2011, 11:44 AM
Siri stays tactful when responding to questions about Android. But when pressed for which is the best phone, she's not modest

Ofcourse she is modest:D

twentyred
Oct 14, 2011, 11:45 AM
Asked 'what's the best phone you can buy?' and got 'Wait... there are other phones?'

nylonsteel
Oct 14, 2011, 11:50 AM
re original article

very cute answers - put a chuckle into my morning

Kar98
Oct 14, 2011, 11:50 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/vrcyoh.jpg

roland.g
Oct 14, 2011, 11:52 AM
This is a sidebar article? Really?

Who's going to do the daily piece on what Tim Cook eats for lunch?
Can I expect articles on how iPhone users have lower chiropractic costs because the weight of their phones creates less imbalance in their left/right weight distribution?

rmwebs
Oct 14, 2011, 12:03 PM

Can I expect articles on how iPhone users have lower chiropractic costs because the weight of their phones creates less imbalance in their left/right weight distribution?

Have to agree. Who gives a rats 'a' about posts showing Siri responses? Seems pointless.

Are we going to get a new post every time a MR staff member gets a funny response? :rolleyes:

*LTD*
Oct 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Have to agree. Who gives a rats 'a' about posts showing Siri responses?

Consumers do. It could very well be a factor in their purchasing decisions. The more creative and intelligent Siri is demonstrated to be, the more attractive the 4S becomes.

It's the little touches like these responses that really round out the User Experience.

Details, details.

acslater017
Oct 14, 2011, 12:15 PM

That's why it's on the sidebar, not the main page (or whatever you call it).

Bobcat37
Oct 14, 2011, 12:17 PM
Seriously, months after Macrumors has debuted this new format, I'm still amazed at the people who piss and moan about articles in the sidebar. Do you have nothing better to do? It's the sidebar for a reason!

Personally, it gave me a good chuckle on a Friday morning and for that reason alone I find it had value. Also, I agree with LTD, I don't have an iPhone 4S so it was also further insight into the 'intelligence' of Siri. It is about the details, and it's pretty clever that Apple built in one of their most well known slogans 'Think Different' into its brain...

zeromeus
Oct 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
So... If you hold an android phone in your hand, plug the headset into the iPhone and ask Siri, "What's the best cell phone?" She'll say, "The one you're holding." Which means that she thinks your android phone is the best???

I wonder if Apple thought of that and program Siri to respond differently when the headset is plugged in....

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/best.jpg]Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/best.jpg)

hobo.hopkins
Oct 14, 2011, 12:34 PM

Yeah! How dare MacRumors place an interesting article outside of the main page! I was so mad by the idea that I logged in and posted about it.

Seems a bit silly doesn't it? After all, these cute responses by Siri contribute to making it all seem more polished. I like these articles.

TonyC28
Oct 14, 2011, 01:43 PM
How do you get Siri to respond with your name?

Lord Appleseed
Oct 14, 2011, 01:49 PM
But when pressed for which is the best phone, she's not modest:...

I'd say at the current time she is very honest.;)

ghettochris
Oct 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
I ask "open the pod bay doors" and the responses i've gotten are: "sigh..." "oh no, not again", "thats no way to treat an intelligent agent" "that's it... i'm reporting you to the intelligent agents' union for harassment" lol

DJJAZZYJET
Oct 14, 2011, 02:13 PM
hahaa epic

Angra-mainju
Oct 14, 2011, 02:43 PM
Me: Why do all the personal computers have such beautiful typography?
Siri: Because windows copied Mac

hahaha :P

Xgm541
Oct 14, 2011, 02:45 PM
How do you get Siri to respond with your name?

you have to have yourself in your address book then open the siri settings and put it has an option for "my info" or something, you select yourself.

kockgunner
Oct 14, 2011, 02:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Siri is too cute

kockgunner
Oct 14, 2011, 02:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

"Me: Why do all the personal computers have such beautiful typography?
Siri: Because windows copied Mac

hahaha :P"

Wow that's clever. I wonder if someone actually thought of all these questions and prorammed the responses.

(I'm quoting this way because I'm not sure if quoting someone in the mobile page works.)

wackymacky
Oct 14, 2011, 04:46 PM
Consumers do. It could very well be a factor in their purchasing decisions. The more creative and intelligent Siri is demonstrated to be, the more attractive the 4S becomes.

It's the little touches like these responses that really round out the User Experience.

Details, details.

Intelligent? This isn't artificial intelligence, these are pre-determined answers programed in for predicable questions. cute yes, magical, no.

nathan1234
Oct 14, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm keeping an eye on these sort of sites, they are bound to get at least a little popular. http://hisiri.tumblr.com:)

supremedesigner
Oct 14, 2011, 05:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Same here. I don't think quoting thing worked on mobile :/

citi
Oct 14, 2011, 06:01 PM

It's the first day of a new phone, people are interested.

On christmas, did you open up your gifts and run around the house excited, only to be told to shut up by your dad?

"That's enough about look what it can do son! I'm trying to watch the damn game!"

Tones2
Oct 14, 2011, 06:55 PM
You guys realize that it's some geeky guy programmer who anticipated your stupid questions and picked out key words and formulated a nerdy response to satisfy you, right? It's not really a sexy woman computer answering. :rolleyes:

In a week everyone will totally be bored with Siri and it will go the way of facetime as something you never use.

Tony

manu chao
Oct 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
In a week everyone will totally be bored with Siri and it will go the way of facetime as something you never use.

You mean like nobody is using Skype?

striker33
Oct 14, 2011, 08:48 PM
Yadda yadda fanboy arguments yadda yadda.

iPhone wins for design (although not for practicality, grrr glass backs), app store, and optimised OS.

Android wins for better OS with more features and more customisation, and all that awesome Google support (sync & gmail etc).

Personally, I wont ever go back to iOS till all the features which require a jailbreak to use are implemented as standard (tethering without an extra contract, bluetooth to other phones/devices, customisable themes, etc). Its such a closed platform.

gnozh
Oct 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
I think she is modest and honest.:)

Impulse29
Oct 14, 2011, 09:42 PM
Ok, but are those just Siri's replies to any "what do you think" question?

Surklyn
Oct 14, 2011, 09:43 PM
Yadda yadda fanboy arguments yadda yadda.

iPhone wins for design (although not for practicality, grrr glass backs), app store, and optimised OS.

Android wins for better OS with more features and more customisation, and all that awesome Google support (sync & gmail etc).

Personally, I wont ever go back to iOS till all the features which require a jailbreak to use are implemented as standard (tethering without an extra contract, bluetooth to other phones/devices, customisable themes, etc). Its such a closed platform.

Damn.. those customizable themes... total Deal breaker. The iPhone doesn't do bluetooth to other devices? oh... ? I guess my BMW and my wife's MINI must be messed up... should get that checked. tethering without an extra contract - fee free.. really? Wow .. I wasn't aware that if you owned an Android phone you could tether without a contract... I wasn't aware the carriers gave android a pass... cool. /s

chuckd83
Oct 14, 2011, 11:40 PM
someone please ask Siri
1. why AT&T won't unlock my iphone.
2. when/if they will unlock it for people out of contract.

notjustjay
Oct 15, 2011, 12:11 AM
Intelligent? This isn't artificial intelligence, these are pre-determined answers programed in for predicable questions. cute yes, magical, no.

The neat thing about Siri is that it (finally) finds a practical, everyday use for "Eliza" type programs, combined with TTS and speech recognition for even better effect.

If you've ever played with those programs, you know that they have a set of pre-programmed responses to certain keywords or contexts, and they choose randomly between them. Say the same request over and over enough times and you'll discover all of the variations.

Someone at Apple has clearly been having fun writing canned responses to a variety of situations. Very cool, and very entertaining, but let's not attribute too much intelligence to what is essentially a keyword-matching algorithm.

Actually, since it looks like the parsing and responses may be coming from Apple servers, there is the potential for Siri's repertoire to become vast indeed, or continue to change (perhaps in a year, she'll tell you that she's sick and tired of being asked to open pod bay doors...) Much like a chess program looks "smart" because it is able to calculate thousands of potential moves and choose the best one, Siri could appear to get smarter as the set of programmed keyword responses continues to grow and change.

Sardonick007
Oct 15, 2011, 12:24 AM
That's neat. I'm sitting here with my thunderbolt comparing apps and wondering if I should brave the lines tomorrow anyway. Probably wait for the next one but this update is really cool to watch. It's the little things like that matter because we all know how good of a phone it is.

coolfactor
Oct 15, 2011, 01:09 AM
You guys realize that it's some geeky guy programmer who anticipated your stupid questions and picked out key words and formulated a nerdy response to satisfy you, right? It's not really a sexy woman computer answering. :rolleyes:

Tony

Your prediction has been noted. What you're failing to factor in is that Siri will get *smarter* as more and more people use it. That's the point. It's not some static bucket of answers. Human input will feed this thing with endless information.

I think it's AWESOME that Siri works this way. It really shows how fun technology can be, rather than just some boring electronic device. I get a kick of out of these responses every time I see them.

----------

If you've ever played with those programs, you know that they have a set of pre-programmed responses to certain keywords or contexts, and they choose randomly between them. Say the same request over and over enough times and you'll discover all of the variations.

The canned responses are only part of it. Siri is plugged into ever-changing data sources (ie. WolframAlpha). Siri has the ability to statically pull information from such sources, but this is just the beginning (the beta phase). Over time, it will be able to take the initial question, pull information from multiple sources, and then compile an intelligent response... it will learn and think.

TheReadyPrompt
Oct 15, 2011, 02:04 AM

Tony

LOL. Clueless git. :D

FloatingBones
Oct 15, 2011, 01:52 PM
Seriously, months after Macrumors has debuted this new format, I'm still amazed at the people who piss and moan about articles in the sidebar. Do you have nothing better to do? It's the sidebar for a reason!

Personally, it gave me a good chuckle on a Friday morning and for that reason alone I find it had value. Also, I agree with LTD, I don't have an iPhone 4S so it was also further insight into the 'intelligence' of Siri. It is about the details, and it's pretty clever that Apple built in one of their most well known slogans 'Think Different' into its brain...

Well said. A bit of humor breaks up the pace and allows us to learn in different ways. If someone doesn't want to read those articles, they're easy enough to avoid.

I love the book "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid". You can get a good cut of that entire book simply by reading the sidebars.

theDUB
Oct 15, 2011, 02:01 PM
Wow that's clever. I wonder if someone actually thought of all these questions and prorammed the responses.

Nope, Siri is actually an autonomous being; look out the machines are taking over.

Image (http://i55.tinypic.com/vrcyoh.jpg)

Were you really that concerned with the internet knowing your first name?

yanki01
Oct 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
haha

AnsonX10
Oct 15, 2011, 02:47 PM
People could also interpret "The one you're holding" in a different way:

Similar to "The best camera is the one you have with you," the best phone can always be the one you're holding at any given moment.

But that's not the right way to interpret it. Because the iPhone IS the best phone.

notjustjay
Oct 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
The canned responses are only part of it. Siri is plugged into ever-changing data sources (ie. WolframAlpha). Siri has the ability to statically pull information from such sources, but this is just the beginning (the beta phase). Over time, it will be able to take the initial question, pull information from multiple sources, and then compile an intelligent response... it will learn and think.

I just think we need to be careful when applying phrases (and expectations) like "learn and think" to something like Siri. Yes, it will get better and more effective, but I don't know if I'd call it "learning" or "thinking" (at least not in a machine learning context, if the "learning" is driven by human programmers adding more canned responses over time or adding more hooks into data sources).

anberlinairlift
Oct 15, 2011, 05:43 PM
What a horrible title for this thread.

gpat
Oct 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
So Siri tells the best phone is the 4S? Hmmm... I wonder if the answer will be the same after the iPhone 5.

chrono1081
Oct 16, 2011, 03:07 PM
What a horrible title for this thread.

Agreed. Its very misleading.

This site has some funny stuff Siri says:

http://shitthatsirisays.tumblr.com/

I do have to say though I smell shenanigans since on the site one of the replies has Siri calling the user a "Douche Bag", although the rest seem like plausible responses.

liavman
Oct 16, 2011, 03:59 PM
Very cool, and very entertaining, but let's not attribute too much intelligence to what is essentially a keyword-matching algorithm.

Agreed with rest of what you wrote and may be even this keyword-matching for these easter eggs, but for its regular operation it does have an intent determination engine and a reasoning engine ( Get me Giants tickets means different things in San Francisco and New York ).

notjustjay
Oct 16, 2011, 09:15 PM
Agreed with rest of what you wrote and may be even this keyword-matching for these easter eggs, but for its regular operation it does have an intent determination engine and a reasoning engine ( Get me Giants tickets means different things in San Francisco and New York ).

Fair enough. I just -- again -- don't want people to get too excited when they hear "Siri is AI". AI spans a broad spectrum of algorithms. I'm not at all trying to downplay what Siri is actually doing. It clearly has a level of reasoning, intent determination, semantic knowledge filtering, and of course natural language processing. It's going to be a while yet before we have the Star Trek computer, or Jarvis.

When it comes to how Siri responds outside of its knowledge base, as in all these funny examples, it's just programmed outcomes based on the keywords (like "HAL 9000" or "pod bay doors").

I'm not an expert in the field, but I have taken courses on the subject and I have written my own versions of ELIZA programs in the past. For all the amazing things SIRI is doing, outside of its knowledge domain, she falls back to playing ELIZA.

thenerdal
Oct 17, 2011, 03:19 AM
Just watched a comparison of the Galaxy S2 and the iPhone 4S. I have to say. Siri isn't as impressive as it's advertised to be. Android on the S2 can do the same as Siri and sometimes better. For instance asking for directions. Siri give you a map, while on the S2, it does the same, but it gives you turn by turn directions. So the S2 wins in that, but Siri can check your calender, So Siri wins in that. I believe Siri and Android's equivalent on the S2 are the same.

Sylvain.d
Oct 18, 2011, 03:02 PM
A friend of mine shows me Siri on the iPhone 4S. A really want it on my iPhone 4. If I am not the only one to dream about this, come for a vote !

http://www.ifixmyworld.com/2011/10/17/we-want-siri-on-the-iphone-4/

jade
Oct 18, 2011, 11:32 PM
I asked Siri about the best phone, and one response I got was "you're kidding right?"

HAHAHHA

springerj
Oct 20, 2011, 12:28 AM

I don't think you've tried Siri yet. Her ability to figure out what I'm asking is quite remarkable. I can still tell it's not a human, but ...

MightyMac007
Oct 20, 2011, 01:05 PM
Agreed. Its very misleading.

This site has some funny stuff Siri says:

http://shitthatsirisays.tumblr.com/

I do have to say though I smell shenanigans since on the site one of the replies has Siri calling the user a "Douche Bag", although the rest seem like plausible responses.

You know, I thought that at first when reading the same reply calling the user a "Douche Bag". But, as another person posted, it uses the name that you give it, so that person most likely just entered a contact with Douche Bag as the name.