PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4s won't recognize its fully charged

exileskimer
Oct 14, 2011, 09:21 PM
My iPhone 4s will get to 100% when charging but will still show the charging icon and never switches to the fully charged button.

exileskimer
Oct 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
My iPhone 4s will get to 100% when charging but will still show the charging icon and never switches to the fully charged button.

bump.. anyone else see this?

FreakinEurekan
Oct 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
What is a "Fully charged button"? My iPhone 4 just gets to 100% and stays there... not sure what you're looking for.

Jason black
Oct 14, 2011, 10:13 PM
I believe it turns green when its fully charged...

FreakinEurekan
Oct 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
Never noticed. Just plugged in so I'll know in an hour - or more likely in the morning.

cirn0
Oct 14, 2011, 11:25 PM
Probably the charger gets disabled automatically when it hit 100%. I didn't stare at mine when charging but when I removed the charger few hours later the power reads 98%

FreakinEurekan
Oct 15, 2011, 07:02 AM

Appears to be normal, my iPhone 4 does the same. Maybe if you don't have % display on it behaves differently??

exileskimer
Oct 16, 2011, 08:59 AM
No when it's fully charged you see a little batter plug looking icon on the battery

When it's charging you see a little lightening bolt on the battery.

I restored it and it was fixed, but then the issue came back

Anyone else?

Theraker007
Oct 16, 2011, 09:10 AM
man some people freak over the tiniest things!

troop231
Oct 16, 2011, 09:10 AM
I plugged in my phone last night before bed, and when I woke up it said it was plugged in and 96% this is not good :(

SOLLERBOY
Oct 16, 2011, 09:26 AM
I know what you mean, the lightning bolt stays on instead of changing to a plug icon even though it is at 100%, I had the same today on it's first cycle.

exileskimer
Oct 16, 2011, 09:33 AM
I know what you mean, the lightning bolt stays on instead of changing to a plug icon even though it is at 100%, I had the same today on it's first cycle.

Alright well at least I'm not the only one

SFStateStudent
Oct 16, 2011, 04:31 PM
I hear what the OP is saying. I had mine charging overnight and for some reason 99% and the battery was green w/o the lightning bolt. Down to 52% as I'm letting it run itself down for the first time...

HiRez
Oct 16, 2011, 05:16 PM
I would completely drain the battery (play a whole season of a tv show over Netflix or something), where it shuts itself down, then do a full recharge and see what happens. Sometimes the battery needs a reset cycle, especially new batteries.

FWIW, my 4S drains about 3% overnight when idle but not plugged in. If yours is draining significantly more than that, something is wrong, and it certainly should never be less than 100% when plugged in (once full).

SK360
Oct 18, 2011, 07:23 AM
My 4S is showing the proper icon for full charge but is also dropping % by morning while plugged in. I plugged it in at 11pm last night, the phone was at 13%. 2AM when I got up to use the bathroom it was at 100% with the full icon. 6AM when I woke up it was still sitting with the full icon but at 97%. Is this normal?

tsduke
Oct 18, 2011, 07:36 AM
I was just going to post about this odd charging behavior. I look at my phone after a full charge when still plugged in. Says 100%. Unplug and it immediately drops to 98%. If I plug it back in for a few minutes and charge it back to 100% and unplug it again my iPhone will stay at 100% for quite awhile. Such as several hours. If I don't plug it back in for a few minutes it drops faster. Strange

zyther
Oct 18, 2011, 07:51 AM
This is how mine looks, appears normal?
Plugged in Via USB

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2750/img0083p.png

Go into Settings, the icon only appears green in there, not on the lock screen :)
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5734/img0085h.png

Kadman
Oct 18, 2011, 07:56 AM
When it's at 100% and fully charged, that little lightning bolt on top of the battery icon should change to what looks like a wall plug on top of the battery. Mine does this just fine and doesn't stay a lightning bolt forever. Not sure if the change to a plug icon happens right as it reaches 100% or if it charges "through" 100% and then switches the icon. I've never watched it as it crossed into 100% range. If yours stays with the lightning bolt after hours of being at 100%, it may be a bug with the OS that it's not changing the icon. Not sure.

zyther
Oct 18, 2011, 08:21 AM
Post a pic of your lock screen when it does change :)

Mine stays as a lightning bolt.

----------

Looks like mine changed

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/4176/img0086x.png

DanHolderman
Oct 18, 2011, 08:49 AM
Probably the charger gets disabled automatically when it hit 100%. I didn't stare at mine when charging but when I removed the charger few hours later the power reads 98%

Mine did the same thing, and when I pulled it from the charger the phone was very warm.

I'm not too concerned about it, I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

c5ride
Oct 18, 2011, 09:32 AM
I plugged in my phone last night before bed, and when I woke up it said it was plugged in and 96% this is not good :(

I'm having exactly the same problem!! Are you going to try and exchange at all?

7timethecrystal
Oct 18, 2011, 09:37 AM
For what it's worth, I am having a battery issue with mine, and the charging indicator is doing the same thing. It takes forever to go from 99-100%, and when it gets to 100%, it stays as a lightning bolt. I've calibrated the battery twice. I'm losing 7%/hr on standby.

My wife's iPhone 4S isn't having a battery issue, and her charging icon is behaving normally (when it reaches 100%, it gives the plug in the icon). She's losing 0.5%/hr on standby.

Jupeman
Oct 23, 2011, 09:11 AM
I have a similar issue with my 4S. After being plugged in overnight it shows the plug icon on the battery but reads 96% charged. Worse, it just dropped to 95% charged, still plugged in and with the plug icon on the battery!

I've had every iPhone iteration so far and this the first time I've seen strange battery behavior like this.

Oh, and my 4S sucks down battery life incredibly quickly.

Theraker007
Oct 23, 2011, 09:16 AM
if you turn your phone off and then back on while plugged in, itll give you the fully charged icon.

Might be a software hiccup

ZBoater
Oct 23, 2011, 09:31 AM
This is what it's supposed to look like.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6683949/iPhonebatteryfull.png

thewitt
Oct 23, 2011, 09:41 AM
Let it drain completely drain to reset the battery meter

wrenhunter
Oct 23, 2011, 10:07 AM
I am experiencing this, too. Overall, the 4S seems to have poorer battery life than my trusty old 3GS. Over the last few days, I've turned off Bluetooth to see how that might affect things (though I've read the 4S is supposed to use a new standard that significantly improves Bluetooth power usage). Not much help.

This morning, after leaving it on the charger all night, I removed the cable and the charge read 94%.

One thing that occurs to me is that I am using Sync via WiFi, something I could not do before iOS5. When I booted iTunes this morning (before removing the power cable), I saw the iPhone do a sync. But it took about 60 seconds tops. Surely that would not knock 6% off the battery, even if it was unplugged!

I will try a full drain to "reset", but if both issues (poor battery performance and no full charge) continue, I will take it in.

tulsa40
Oct 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
I have the same problem: My iPhone 4S, left in the charger overnight, only reaches 96%. Is there a solution to this problem?

daneoni
Oct 23, 2011, 06:50 PM
Mine works fine

*shrug*

Glancing
Oct 26, 2011, 12:09 PM
I have a similar issue with my 4S. After being plugged in overnight it shows the plug icon on the battery but reads 96% charged. Worse, it just dropped to 95% charged, still plugged in and with the plug icon on the battery!

First time poster here. For anyone having this problem, make sure you're using the right charger before trying anything else.

I charged mine all night to wake up and find my 4s at 96%. A few minutes later, I noticed I had my ipad2 charger plugged into my phone and my 4s charger plugged into my ipad2. Once I plugged the charger that came with the phone into the phone, it went back up to 100%.

I just got them mixed up as both chargers are beside the bed and I was really sleepy. :D This fixed my issue. I hope it helps someone else.