PDA

View Full Version : Why does the ipad have a better screen than the Air?

Sean Dempsey
Oct 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
The iPad 2 seems to have a screen with a far better viewing angle thank the Air. It's like the iPad has an IPS panel, and the Air doesn't.

Why in the world would the iPad have a better screen than the Air? Is there something I'm missing?

Yumunum
Oct 17, 2011, 07:12 PM
The iPad 2 seems to have a screen with a far better viewing angle thank the Air. It's like the iPad has an IPS panel, and the Air doesn't.

Why in the world would the iPad have a better screen than the Air? Is there something I'm missing?

I wonder that too... Why? I spent $1,550 on this laptop, it should have a better screen.

3dflyboy1
Oct 17, 2011, 07:14 PM

(mba has a little better resolution).

IngerMan
Oct 17, 2011, 08:00 PM
Do you have the LG or Samsung screen....lol..... Just kidding.... Think about it, the tablet is only a tablet with more room to focus on less. If you wanted a better screen then the tablet then you probably need to step up to a pro.

Sean Dempsey
Oct 17, 2011, 08:02 PM
(mba has a little better resolution).

That's not true, the screens are both the same height at 768 pixels. The air is a little wider, 1366 vs 1024, but the actual dot pitch is the same pixels per square inch.

KnightWRX
Oct 17, 2011, 08:11 PM
Then get an iPad ? Or a laptop with an IPS screen ? For most of us, we'd rather keep the cost down with a TN panel for what we use these laptops for.

disarticulate
Oct 17, 2011, 10:16 PM
iPads philosophy of usage is much more broad. Especially since they are designed to be held in hand while used; the multiple articulating joints of the arm and hand create a dynamic viewing environment, necessitating broad viewing angles. While a laptop is designed to sit on a static surface.

Just my insight.

wrinkster22
Oct 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
Do you have the LG or Samsung screen....lol..... Just kidding.... Think about it, the tablet is only a tablet with more room to focus on less. If you wanted a better screen then the tablet then you probably need to step up to a pro.

the air in some respects has a better display than the pro.

Sean Dempsey
Oct 17, 2011, 11:00 PM
Then get an iPad ? Or a laptop with an IPS screen ? For most of us, we'd rather keep the cost down with a TN panel for what we use these laptops for.

I have an iPad.

wikus
Oct 17, 2011, 11:01 PM

To be honest, at the price of a macbook pro, i would expect an IPS panel to be included.

nexsta
Oct 18, 2011, 12:20 AM
The answer is battery life, LED TN panels need much less energy, with IPS the batter life would even suck more than now.

Stetrain
Oct 18, 2011, 01:00 AM
The price difference between a 64GB iPad and a 64GB 11" Macbook Air is $300. For that difference Apple has to include a slightly bigger screen, a much more complicated enclosure, backlit keyboard, ports, a full Intel chipset and processor, much more RAM, and a battery big enough to still get decent usage.

I would imagine that the margin on the $999 Macbook Air is smaller than any of the iPad models.

I can see Apple switching to IPS screens in future notebooks but they're also going to try to maintain their margins.

vitzr
Oct 18, 2011, 01:08 AM
To be honest, at the price of a macbook pro, i would expect an IPS panel to be included.
While I certainly agree, Apples greed prevents them from including a high quality IPS display. Since 15" MBP's are already $1,000.00 more than an equal quality ThinkPad, Apple knows they don't dare charge even more.

Especially given the fact they fail to offer built in 3G multi carrier connectivity. No fingerprint reader. No ultra bay multi purpose port, and several other options that professionals like myself order.

wikus
Oct 18, 2011, 01:31 AM
While I certainly agree, Apples greed prevents them from including a high quality IPS display. Since 15" MBP's are already $1,000.00 more than an equal quality ThinkPad, Apple knows they don't dare charge even more.

Especially given the fact they fail to offer built in 3G multi carrier connectivity. No fingerprint reader. No ultra bay multi purpose port, and several other options that professionals like myself order.

As a graphic designer (sometimes photographer), I would consider the addition of IPS in their next macbooks a requirement and top priority. One of the reasons why I prefer working on a mac pro without apple's overpriced cinema displays.

I also agree that apple REALLY needs to include the word 'choice' into their company philosophy.

jon0190
Oct 18, 2011, 01:40 AM
It's not only viewing angles. The iPad screen's maximum brightness (even the iPhone's) is MUCH brighter than the Air's maximum screen brightness. It's pretty jarring side by side, but it tells you where Apple's priorities are. iOS is their prized pig now.

Aksta
Oct 18, 2011, 05:04 AM
It's not only viewing angles. The iPad screen's maximum brightness (even the iPhone's) is MUCH brighter than the Air's maximum screen brightness. It's pretty jarring side by side, but it tells you where Apple's priorities are. iOS is their prized pig now.

With 4 million iPhone 4S sales so far are you surprised?

GekkePrutser
Oct 18, 2011, 05:17 AM
I think it's because an iPad is meant to be used in different positions: As a book, as a keyboard on your lap, on a table, as a picture frame. And with several people looking at it simultaneously. And waving it around to use the accelerometer to control games. So a wide viewing angle is more important.

A laptop is usually used in a more traditional fashion, on a lap or a table by one person. So the viewing angle doesn't matter as much.

What does matter though is thickness, the MacBook Air's screen is ultrathin. I think finding an IPS panel that's low in power and thin and cheap enough would be a challenge.

KnightWRX
Oct 18, 2011, 07:31 AM

Have you priced laptops with IPS screens recently ?

As a graphic designer (sometimes photographer), I would consider the addition of IPS in their next macbooks a requirement and top priority. One of the reasons why I prefer working on a mac pro without apple's overpriced cinema displays.

You do realise that IPS displays in laptops are a rare thing. Anyway, that's what the DisplayPort output is for. It's not really about choice, it's just not Apple's target market, like a lot of other OEMs don't provide IPS panels.

HP does in a very limited range of their laptop models (EliteBooks, not the Envy or DV models targetted towards consumers and as an option), same with Lenovo (X series, 220 and 1, there you go for an ultrabook with an IPS monitor). I know of no others off the top of my head.

Marconelly
Oct 18, 2011, 11:18 AM
I know they are expensive, but they should leave the option for an IPS screen in Air. I know I'd rather spring for that than for more memory or HDD space, or even faster CPU.

johnhurley
Oct 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
Why in the world would the iPad have a better screen than the Air?

Do you have bad eyes?

If so then maybe you appreciate the much lower resolution of the iPads.

Not sure about the old air's but the new ones are 1440 * 900 ( 13 inch ) and that's a whole bunch more pixels.

Rumors are just that rumors but currently the iPad 2 has a fairly low screen resolution which may get a serious upgrade in 2012.

KnightWRX
Oct 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
Do you have bad eyes?

Not sure about the old air's but the new ones are 1440 * 900 ( 13 inch ) and that's a whole bunch more pixels.

He's not talking about more or less pixels. MacBook Airs use low gamut TN panels.

Nychot
Oct 18, 2011, 06:55 PM
The answer is battery life, LED TN panels need much less energy, with IPS the batter life would even suck more than now.

I get 12 hrs or so with my ipad2 with wifi always on and bt at night for an hour or so.. Mba is lucky if it got 5 in that situation.:D

2IS
Oct 18, 2011, 09:00 PM
Have you priced laptops with IPS screens recently ?

You do realise that IPS displays in laptops are a rare thing.

about as rare as an IPS panel in a phone, maybe?

Brandon0448
Oct 18, 2011, 10:58 PM
I get 12 hrs or so with my ipad2 with wifi always on and bt at night for an hour or so.. Mba is lucky if it got 5 in that situation.:D

Put the processor from the Air in that thing and it would make quick work of that 12 hour battery life.

NutsNGum
Oct 19, 2011, 04:56 AM

Nonsense, this is a supplier variable, not a concious decision of preference made by Apple.

Me and the lass both have the iPhone 4, mine has a warmer yellowy hue, and hers is eyeball-white. There are inconsistencies all over all products that use more than one supplier for the same parts.

KnightWRX
Oct 19, 2011, 11:10 AM
about as rare as an IPS panel in a phone, maybe?

Yeah, other manufacturers tend to use the equivalent SuperLCD (which is based on PVA) or AMOLED technologies. IPS is a rare thing indeed, but not for the reasons you wanted to try to point out. ;)

Good try though, I'll give you that.

Chrisbkreme
Oct 19, 2011, 11:31 AM
An IPS display would be awesome on the next air, however, it would be very expensive, seeing as though the baseline macbook air isn't much more than the top memory iPad, and for that it has much more advanced specs, operating system etc.

2IS
Oct 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
Yeah, other manufacturers tend to use the equivalent SuperLCD (which is based on PVA) or AMOLED technologies. IPS is a rare thing indeed, but not for the reasons you wanted to try to point out. ;)

Good try though, I'll give you that.

Thank You ;)

Stetrain
Oct 20, 2011, 08:58 PM
Do you have bad eyes?

What would bad eyes have to do with it? The iPad has a higher pixel density than the Macbook Air anyway. I think you're confusing number of pixels, pixel density, and UI/text scale. They are three different things.

johnhurley
Oct 21, 2011, 09:05 AM
What would bad eyes have to do with it? The iPad has a higher pixel density than the Macbook Air anyway. I think you're confusing number of pixels, pixel density, and UI/text scale. They are three different things.

You lost me but I am pretty confused at the best of times!

Bad things happen to your eyes especially after hitting 45 for many of us.

The 13 inch mba has a pretty sweet display but it can be tough for some of us ( a strong argument for a nice big external monitor ).

A lower resolution display might be attractive at some sizes for some people.

The OP did not make is exactly clear in the first posting why exactly they thought the iPad display was better than the air nor did they mention which air they were comparing it to.

Stetrain
Oct 21, 2011, 05:15 PM
You lost me but I am pretty confused at the best of times!

Bad things happen to your eyes especially after hitting 45 for many of us.

The 13 inch mba has a pretty sweet display but it can be tough for some of us ( a strong argument for a nice big external monitor ).

A lower resolution display might be attractive at some sizes for some people.

The OP did not make is exactly clear in the first posting why exactly they thought the iPad display was better than the air nor did they mention which air they were comparing it to.

The OP was talking mostly about the viewing angles of the screen, since the iPad has an IPS display and the none of the Macbooks have one.

You implied that the lower resolution of the iPad would be better for bad eyes than the Macbook Air, but in fact the iPad has a higher density than the Macbook Air. Text of the same scale would be smaller on the iPad and bigger on the Macbook Air. The Macbook Air has more total pixels but they are spread out over a larger screen size.

The size of things on screen is also not necessarily tied to resolution. For example the iPhone 4 doubled the resolution in height and width but text did not get smaller because of the scaling.

jkane08
Oct 24, 2011, 03:59 PM
...It's like the iPad has an IPS panel, and the Air doesn't. ...

The iPad DOES have an IPS display, and the macbook air does not, you've got it exactly right.. but this isn't a hidden fact. Part of the marketing for the first iPad was about the "gorgeous" IPS display..

It's pretty simple why the screen on the iPad would need to be of a higher quality -- touch. You're not holding your air, or any laptop, 8-12 inches from your face and touching it all day long, in multiple positions. A laptop is generally used in a set position, where you're adjusting the screen to fit that position.

This is no different than the macbook pros. They have a better viewing angle than the air, but you're also paying a premium on the entire computer over the air. The 13" air is a much better screen, in my opinion, than the 13" pro.

That being said, I own a 13" air, and an iPad 2. The iPad screen is beautiful, but i love my air as well, but in the end, they're serving different purposes, and that's why the screen is different.\

Edit:

I wanted to add, the iPad is made up of a screen, and a backside. You are only interacting with the screen, and so I certainly hope it's a high quality screen. The air you're interacting with multiple things. The touchpad, the keys, and looking, but not touching, the screen.

LordVic
Oct 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
I also believe that you cannot do the touch screen, especially active matrix multi touch based screens on TN. they have to be IPS for some reason or other.