PDA

View Full Version : Some Scenes In The Avengers [Not] Filmed On an iPhone [Updated]

MacRumors
Oct 21, 2011, 05:36 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/21/some-scenes-in-the-avengers-filmed-on-an-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/10/avengerstrailer.jpg

Updated: It turns out that Seamus McGarvey was misquoted. From The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-dp-scenes-filmed-iphone-252083):
"I was talking about how up and coming film makers have access to a whole range of new technologies which expand our options as filmmakers. I mentioned that the iPhone and the Canon 5d Mk2 were devices currently used on many Hollywood productions. I used the Canon on some shots on Marvel's The Avengers movie," he stated to THR. "Unfortunately, this was edited to read that I shot some of the film with the iPhone. This is not true."The original story follows:

The iPhone 4 has a great camera built-in -- but it is good enough to film a movie? According to cinematographer Seamus McGarvey, who worked on the upcoming Avengers movie, the iPhone works just fine as a cinematic instrument. In an interview with the Irish Film & Television Network (http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4284370&tpl=archnews&force=1):
The beauty of photography or cinema is that you make every choice based on the content at hand. On The Avengers, I did a couple of shots on the iPhone and they are in the movie. In fact, they are in the trailer! I understand that sometimes there is no choice and you have to go for the cheapest option, but if you are limited for choice, you can still make poignant decisions that will effect the look of the film.McGarvey gave no details about exactly which shots in the trailer were taken with an iPhone. It's a testament to the iPhone and McGarvey's abilities as a cinematographer that we can't figure it out.

Watch The Avengers trailer (http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/marvel/avengers/) on Apple's movie trailers website.

Article Link: Some Scenes In The Avengers [Not] Filmed On an iPhone [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/21/some-scenes-in-the-avengers-filmed-on-an-iphone/)

Xenc
Oct 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It'd be great to see which shots were taken on an iPhone. Amazing that it's not obvious!

macbookairman
Oct 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
I believe the iPhone was used for the shot of Thor at roughly 44 seconds in. Pure speculation though, but it definitely looks like it.

EDIT: Perhaps 1:04 as well...

sukanas
Oct 21, 2011, 05:44 PM
wow...

edit: do you think he just did this for sake of using an iPhone?

WatchTheThrone
Oct 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Should of waited for the 4S's better camera....

Skika
Oct 21, 2011, 05:47 PM
Take that, camera snobs/elitists!

ELA2
Oct 21, 2011, 05:50 PM

0:46 Thor with hammer

Will do good
Oct 21, 2011, 05:55 PM
wow. I'm sure the iphone is good, but I'll credit the DP/cameraman.

cvaldes
Oct 21, 2011, 06:07 PM
do you think he just did this for sake of using an iPhone?
I doubt it.

A good craftsman will consider all the tools at his disposal and select the one best for the task at hand. A chef won't always reach for the $300 commercial food processor; sometimes a $20 paring knife is the best tool.

daxomni
Oct 21, 2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah, those elitist camera snobs should be more humble and inclusive like Apple fans!

GFLPraxis
Oct 21, 2011, 06:22 PM
Unless he had an early release 4S, that means there will be 720p scenes in the movie, which might stand out on the 1080p Blu-ray release...

chrono1081
Oct 21, 2011, 06:28 PM

This actually. Lighting is far more important than resolution, but you can't tell that to n00b photogs, they want the latest and greatest hardware when they can't even fully utilize its capabilities.

Duel
Oct 21, 2011, 06:30 PM

0:46 Thor with hammer

i Thought same too, it has different colour world, not that saturated and vivid colours. But if there's something else filmed with iphone too, it's very difficult to say.

brianbobcat
Oct 21, 2011, 06:39 PM
Definitely the scene at :49-:50 second of Thor holding the hammer in the air with the white strobe light in the corner. When I watched it originally, I couldn't tell it was any different, but once I went frame by frame, I could see some of the issues with it's CMOS sensor like rolling shutter. They're clearly done a lot of post-processing to diminish the effect, but it's still partially there. I could also see them putting iPhones in places where a camera might get damaged or destroyed as a couple hundred bucks is nothing whereas $50K for their main cameras is not an insignificant amount.

isoMorpheus
Oct 21, 2011, 06:58 PM
These three scenes?

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/8387/screenshot20111021at454.png

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4830/screenshot20111021at455.png

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7413/screenshot20111021at457.png

scottrichardson
Oct 21, 2011, 07:16 PM
Unless he had an early release 4S, that means there will be 720p scenes in the movie, which might stand out on the 1080p Blu-ray release...

Not entirely - There's oodles of 1080p blurays out there that dont come close to saturating the resolution detail of 1080p due to camera MTF and focus. Only if the cameraman can fully focus the camera, and it is 3k, 4k or 5k, will you get a fully detailed 1080p image. Most of the time the actual visible resolution is somewhere around 720p. Yes there's 1020 x 1080 pixels on screen, but the image is so soft it could as easily be a focused 720p image scaled up.

Scott

Thanatoast
Oct 21, 2011, 08:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPhone2,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0;FBSS/1; FBCR/AT&T;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

Okay, you hav to admit that's pretty cool.

shurcooL
Oct 21, 2011, 08:18 PM
Not entirely - There's oodles of 1080p blurays out there that dont come close to saturating the resolution detail of 1080p due to camera MTF and focus. Only if the cameraman can fully focus the camera, and it is 3k, 4k or 5k, will you get a fully detailed 1080p image. Most of the time the actual visible resolution is somewhere around 720p. Yes there's 1020 x 1080 pixels on screen, but the image is so soft it could as easily be a focused 720p image scaled up.

Scott
It is so nice when you're not the only one who understands these things. Completely agree.

Los
Oct 21, 2011, 08:18 PM
One of the scenes has got to be the one where Thor strikes Captain America, just look at the amount of noise and the lack of detail on the trees in the background. It looks like something you'll find in an iPhone 4 or 4S.

Then again when Thor is about to hit something during the city scene. That's the only two I can make out, both seem to produce noise similar to what you'll find in an iPhone.

daneoni
Oct 21, 2011, 08:46 PM
*sigh* i wish i had guns those size.

Mak47
Oct 21, 2011, 09:08 PM

I'd put money on them being the shots of troops and cops running to an event early in the trailer. Those are the kinds of things a bystander would hypothetically capture on that kind of camera.

That would t be lost on the guy who did the 9/11 movie.

ShiftClick
Oct 21, 2011, 09:46 PM
I give most of the credit to the colorist who was able to blend the mixed resolutions very seamlessly. Impressive.

Sackvillenb
Oct 21, 2011, 09:59 PM
Ha! That is both hilarious, and totally awesome!

Nepiller
Oct 21, 2011, 10:08 PM
Not surprisingly I was on set in Cleveland for the avengers in August the stunt coordinators would take video of the stunts on a iPad 2 an play it back for the stunt men an actors to show them how it looks an how they want the shot to look I love apple!

YeahBuddy
Oct 21, 2011, 10:19 PM
I think that's crazy that a movie with that kind of budget would actually resort to shooting some shots with an iPhone, but I love the fact that they did it. Awesome.

ppc_michael
Oct 21, 2011, 10:55 PM
Oh my goodness. That's cool and stuff, but I'm glad I'm not the colorist on that film. :P

lamar0607
Oct 21, 2011, 11:20 PM

Hmm, the DP's facebook status has since clarified that he did not shoot any scenes with an iPhone..."just to clarify! I didn't shoot any scenes on the avengers on an iPhone"

It could be believed the interviewer meant to say the canon 5D.

Xenc
Oct 22, 2011, 02:55 AM

Hmm, the DP's facebook status has since clarified that he did not shoot any scenes with an iPhone..."just to clarify! I didn't shoot any scenes on the avengers on an iPhone"

It could be believed the interviewer meant to say the canon 5D.

I always write iPhone 4 when I mean to write Canon 5D. Easy typo to make.

Ulf1103
Oct 22, 2011, 03:03 AM
So it's filmed with the iPhone 4's 5MP camera,
and not with the better iPhone 4S's 8MP camera???

Wow, that means the iPhone 4S has a hell of a nice camera :P

lllll
Oct 22, 2011, 03:29 AM
I call this article a LIAR!! iPhone does not have better camera or video. Before iPhone 4s came out, it was only a 5MP with 720p. So are they saying that the Avenger is shot in a low quality phone? Did the stars cost too much that they have to use cheap camera? Whoa? I'm not going to see this movie then. But I bet they gonna convert it to 35mm later in production.

Lone Deranger
Oct 22, 2011, 03:35 AM
Looks like the article has been edited to remove the sentence mentioning the iPhone! :confused:

AdeFowler
Oct 22, 2011, 05:51 AM
Impressive but was the film cut on FCP X? :o

Skika
Oct 22, 2011, 07:12 AM
Impressive but was the film cut on FCP X? :o

No, it was cut in iMovie on iPad 2.

CFreymarc
Oct 22, 2011, 07:19 AM
This actually. Lighting is far more important than resolution, but you can't tell that to n00b photogs, they want the latest and greatest hardware when they can't even fully utilize its capabilities.

You have that right. Just having paint doesn't make you a portrait artist. Thus, just having a kick butt camera does not make you a cinematographer.

Great work on the 80's era Mattel PXL100 that recorded on audio tape as something like 100 x 100 in b/w has been done. There were a few post-era Film Noir shorts done on this that totally kicked with a good story line.

Dale Campbell
Oct 22, 2011, 07:22 AM
I have it on good authority that he was misquoted and the shots were made on a 5dmkII.

poppasketti
Oct 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, this is just weird. The line about the iPhone was edited from the article, so either he misspoke or he's lying now. I think the former. Unless the idea of the shot was from the perspective of a bystander, there's no reason to film part of a Hollywood movie on an iPhone other than to say you did it.

I agree that lighting and skill are more important than the equipment, but lighting and skill plus professional equipment is better.

An iPhone is basically a one-off deal; it is set for high contrast and high saturation leaving very little room for adjustment in post, whereas a Red camera, like a film camera, shoots more raw information that can be manipulated more freely.

Also, forget the bluray, what happens when you blow it up to 4k in some of the new cinema projectors?!

Judas1
Oct 22, 2011, 08:28 AM
Why give editors more work? without a lot of editing, the iphone shots would look like crap compared to the real camera.

wrinkster22
Oct 22, 2011, 09:20 AM
the iPhone has a good camera but can it really compare to professional grade cameras? They probably will shoot just 5 seconds with an iPhone so they can say they did.
Has anyone seen the banned iPad 2 promo on youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvG0fbdMwGc
Did you know that the entire kings speech was shot on an iPad 2? :D:D:D:p

Senseotech
Oct 22, 2011, 09:26 AM
Content and quotes from the article notwithstanding, bonus awesome points for the NIN track for the trailer! :D

Juan007
Oct 22, 2011, 11:13 AM

Cinema quality video from iPhone 4S. Amazing what Apple has accomplished.

a7sharp9
Oct 22, 2011, 11:57 AM

Just read this was a misquote. It was shot on a Canon 5D.

akb
Oct 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
You're worried about quality on the Blu-ray? What about the 50ft+ cinema screen? An iPhone 4 can capture less than half of the resolution a 2K digital cinema projector is capable of.

----------

Just read this was a misquote. It was shot on a Canon 5D.

That sounds much more likely. It's amazing what people are producing with D-SLRs.

Kissaragi
Oct 22, 2011, 12:05 PM
Thank goodness this writer isnt a chemist or something if he got a dslr mixed up with an iphone

chiefroastbeef
Oct 22, 2011, 12:16 PM

Probably not Apple, but the company that developed the camera, other phone manufacturers have been pushing out 8MP cameras for a while now..

No respectable Hollywood director filming a blockbuster will use a tiny sensor cell phone camera to be display on the cinema screens... No matter the lighting, it can't possibly be blown up to cinema screen sizes without looking like garbage. Imagine using those footage and having to add in effects.

thenerdal
Oct 22, 2011, 02:01 PM
Did you know that the entire kings speech was shot on an iPad 2? :D:D:D:p

That is not true. iPad 2 has a bad camera with a .7 MP Camera. How can you tell me that the King's speech was shot with that? That is so false.

zapnyc
Oct 22, 2011, 02:05 PM
I think two shots on the trailer look iPhone-y...

Thor holding the hammer up into the sun...
and
a near-ground-level shot on a street during a chase or fight

Perhaps some of you have seen the "iPhone Fashion Shoot" which proved that it's more about lighting....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY

BreuerEditor
Oct 22, 2011, 02:09 PM
The interview from the site posted clearly says:

“The beauty of photography or cinema is that you make every choice based on the content at hand. I understand that sometimes there is no choice and you have to go for the cheapest option, but if you are limited for choice, you can still make poignant decisions that will effect the look of the film,” adds McGarvey.

No mention of iPhone......

thenerdal
Oct 22, 2011, 02:12 PM
I think two shots on the trailer look iPhone-y...

Thor holding the hammer up into the sun...
and
a near-ground-level shot on a street during a chase or fight

Perhaps some of you have seen the "iPhone Fashion Shoot" which proved that it's more about lighting....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY

The thing with the iPhone is that it can't shoot at 4k resolution or even 2k for theaters.

SockRolid
Oct 22, 2011, 02:16 PM
I think the 2-shot of Captain America behind Iron Man (just about 1 second long, at 1:05) looks like it could have been shot with an iPhone. Doesn't quite have the same dynamic range or sharpness as the other shots. (Of course, it's hard to tell on a 27" screen...)

Also, it's an extremely low-angle shot. The director might have decided to add the shot for its "emotional impact," then realized that moving the main camera would have taken an hour. The low angle meant moving the big camera nearly to the floor, which would likely require switching to a short tripod or other specialized mount. And a hand-held shot just wouldn't be steady enough. So he might have decided on the spot to shoot it on iPhone on a quickly improvised rig, and use the shot if it came out well enough.

thenerdal
Oct 22, 2011, 02:18 PM
I think the guy is lying, they have a budget of $220 million, that's way more than last year's Captain America. How could they not afford a camera? :confused:

Juan007
Oct 22, 2011, 02:28 PM

Probably not Apple, but the company that developed the camera, other phone manufacturers have been pushing out 8MP cameras for a while now..

No respectable Hollywood director filming a blockbuster will use a tiny sensor cell phone camera to be display on the cinema screens... No matter the lighting, it can't possibly be blown up to cinema screen sizes without looking like garbage. Imagine using those footage and having to add in effects.

You're absolutely clueless. An image sensor isn't a camera. Camera requires an image sensor, a lens, and an IC to do image processing at minimum. Go back to your fandroid troll cave.

JeffLubowski
Oct 22, 2011, 02:41 PM
While the iPhone was not used to film any scenes it might have been used to take some stills that were used in the trailer. Perhaps the pictures of the comic book were taken with the iPhone.

SockRolid
Oct 22, 2011, 02:50 PM
I think the guy is lying, they have a budget of $220 million, that's way more than last year's Captain America. How could they not afford a camera? :confused:

Time is money in film production. On a big-budget film, it costs $250k+ every day whether or not you get any usable shots. Because the crew needs to set up everything, and they get paid by the hour. (IIRC) So if you can save an hour here or there, it does add up.

Directors are under the gun to wrap production on time and on budget, so if they can get away with an iPhone shot here or there, they'll do it. Especially for shots they didn't plan ahead, and don't want to slip their schedule to shoot.

mbeano
Oct 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
wow. I'm sure the iphone is good, but I'll credit the DP/cameraman.

While I would agree that a DP is where credit is due on how good or bad a shot looks. He of course picks the equipment he or she feels is right for the circumstances. A good DP wouldn't choose equipment that could not give him/her the image that is wanted.

mrsir2009
Oct 22, 2011, 03:04 PM

Not on my TV they won't :cool:

http://static2.tuvends.com/storage/1237551927yycqgnatal.jpg

hms84
Oct 22, 2011, 03:09 PM

And I pay money to watch this?? Get cameras like the big guys Avatar & Batman.

Skika
Oct 22, 2011, 03:10 PM
Not on my TV they won't :cool:

Image (http://static2.tuvends.com/storage/1237551927yycqgnatal.jpg)

My god. That is horrible!

thenerdal
Oct 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
Time is money in film production. On a big-budget film, it costs $250k+ every day whether or not you get any usable shots. Because the crew needs to set up everything, and they get paid by the hour. (IIRC) So if you can save an hour here or there, it does add up.

Directors are under the gun to wrap production on time and on budget, so if they can get away with an iPhone shot here or there, they'll do it. Especially for shots they didn't plan ahead, and don't want to slip their schedule to shoot.

Doubt they can get away with it since the iPhone doesn't do 2k resolution or 4k, so it would be low quality on a big screen in theaters.

mrsir2009
Oct 22, 2011, 03:22 PM

Are you dissing my Philips Matchline? :mad:

MagnusVonMagnum
Oct 22, 2011, 03:33 PM
It's nice to know they're shooting movies with the lowest quality crap imaginable. 720p for a MOVIE that will play in theaters? This stuff should be filmed either with actual film or in UltraHD (4320p) so that future generations will have a high quality transfer available to them (we will not stay at 1080p forever, especially for high-end home theater and the actual cinema). It's like looking back now at certain TV shows filmed in NTSC. You cannot make HD transfers from NTSC. You're permanently stuck with garbage whereas and old show like Hogans Heroes or even classic movies like Casablanca are easy to transfer into HD versions since they were made on film. I know some people think 1080p is the best thing since sliced bread, but people are going to look back a couple of decades from now and see 1080p the same way we now see 480p.

dalexa
Oct 22, 2011, 03:58 PM

You're absolutely clueless. An image sensor isn't a camera. Camera requires an image sensor, a lens, and an IC to do image processing at minimum. Go back to your fandroid troll cave.

actually he's right. it doesn't matter if you have the best lens if you have a tiny sensor like that.

i would love to see a tiny sensor like that do a dof like this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WkKZJVG5wTk/TRgt9bbwSWI/AAAAAAAC4Qw/cG3zAnEvrww/s400/cof.jpg

you just can't, period.

calling others troll and looking like and ass while doing it is not a god thing.

Eminemdrdre00
Oct 22, 2011, 05:23 PM
He didn't use an iPhone to shoot The Avengers, he was misquoted:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-dp-scenes-filmed-iphone-252083

*LTD*
Oct 22, 2011, 05:44 PM
"Siri, take a shot of Thor walking by"

Would you like me to apply "instant massive lens-flare" filter?

"Of course."

Ah, a modern action director's dream. At least the errant lens-flare part.

Gib
Oct 22, 2011, 10:58 PM
actually he's right. it doesn't matter if you have the best lens if you have a tiny sensor like that.

i would love to see a tiny sensor like that do a dof like this

Image (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WkKZJVG5wTk/TRgt9bbwSWI/AAAAAAAC4Qw/cG3zAnEvrww/s400/cof.jpg)

you just can't, period.

calling others troll and looking like and ass while doing it is not a god thing.

While I agree with you in principle (film studies degree, photography teacher) I had to be THAT GUY and find this video...

http://vimeo.com/30578363

iSayuSay
Oct 22, 2011, 11:20 PM
Well too bad then

There is no iPhone scene, what are you looking at.? ... Nothing more to see here!!

Move along, folks.. Huzzahh!!

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 22, 2011, 11:30 PM
I'm not surprised that the movie isn't filmed on an iPhone 4S. I am surprised at how thoroughly misquoted he was.

*LTD*
Oct 22, 2011, 11:31 PM
While I agree with you in principle (film studies degree, photography teacher) I had to be THAT GUY and find this video...

That pretty much settles it. Impressive, to say the least.

deftdrummer
Oct 22, 2011, 11:40 PM

No.. He stated as much in the third graph.

SleeplessChaos
Oct 23, 2011, 12:11 AM

Except in order to even get that kind of DoF with the actual (not 35mm equiv.) focal length of the iPhone's lens, you'd have to be inches in front of the actors face...

I understand this isn't a camera site so I don't expect most people to understand this stuff, but seriously read up on it if you're going to correct someone.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

nagromme
Oct 23, 2011, 12:53 AM
Shooting video THAT good with an iPhone was just not plausible: the 4S wasn’t out yet!

macbook pro i5
Oct 23, 2011, 12:59 AM

My god you're horrible:p

opeter
Oct 23, 2011, 02:34 AM

What are you talking about? I've got a CRT TV also. We here have no HD channels etc., only digital signal (about 480i or 480p), that has somehow a DVD quality. The same goes for the cable operators.

So it is not worth to invest into any kind of HD ready or HD screen for the average consumer.

Buying one is only worth in situations, if you want to play HD ready Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 games (most games work in 720p mode) or when you want to look at MKV rips, that you can get on torrents.

Obscurelight
Oct 23, 2011, 03:01 AM

Lol at the people who claims which scenes was shot with the iPhone

Ulf1103
Oct 23, 2011, 04:05 AM
update:

ooh darn, but the iPhone 4S's camera would certainly do the trick ;)

BornAgainMac
Oct 23, 2011, 06:04 AM
Update: No, I was misquoted again. I meant to say I filmed the entire movie and edited it on my iPhone 4 using iMovie.

rdlink
Oct 23, 2011, 07:11 AM
It's nice to know they're shooting movies with the lowest quality crap imaginable. 720p for a MOVIE that will play in theaters? This stuff should be filmed either with actual film or in UltraHD (4320p) so that future generations will have a high quality transfer available to them (we will not stay at 1080p forever, especially for high-end home theater and the actual cinema). It's like looking back now at certain TV shows filmed in NTSC. You cannot make HD transfers from NTSC. You're permanently stuck with garbage whereas and old show like Hogans Heroes or even classic movies like Casablanca are easy to transfer into HD versions since they were made on film. I know some people think 1080p is the best thing since sliced bread, but people are going to look back a couple of decades from now and see 1080p the same way we now see 480p.

While you're technically correct, I'm a little disturbed that you would mention this movie and Casablanca in the same paragraph. :eek:

something3153
Oct 23, 2011, 07:32 AM

Except apparently, they didn't. This was a lot of crowing followed by a lot of silence when it turns out that no, the iPhone is not going to shoot a feature film.

MacSince1990
Oct 23, 2011, 08:03 AM
Lol.... knew this had to be wrong XD

*sigh* i wish i had guns those size.

It's not really that hard. I've been lifting boxes at my job for two weeks and my biceps are already ~16.5"... go for it!

vincenz
Oct 23, 2011, 08:23 AM
Great journalism...

sixthrelease
Oct 23, 2011, 09:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It still could mean they did shot with a iPhone. And edit on a iPad. RIP JOBS

sgrrsh26
Oct 23, 2011, 09:09 AM
wow... good thing I didnt rave to my friends about this...

Surreal
Oct 23, 2011, 09:49 AM
It seemed possible but incredibly unlikely so this isn't a huge surprise.

Snowy_River
Oct 23, 2011, 11:56 AM
I find the incredulity in this thread rather repugnant, especially that coming from those who claim to know something about photography. Any photographer worth his/her salt knows that being in the moment is often worth more than all the super expensive equipment that you could have.

In this case, if a scene had been setup, is being filmed with the primary equipment, it is quite plausible that someone might pull out a small camera, such as a phone, and if the result turned out well enough, even if it wasn't full resolution, with some post production it could easily be cut in as an alternate angle for a few seconds in the scene.

At no point, even before the misquote was explained, was it suggested the entire movie shot with an iPhone, or anything more than a few short clips.

AmpSkillz
Oct 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
since this was originally posted I knew they had been misquoted or misunderstood what was originally stated

I was assuming the director did some preliminary scenes or shots on an iPhone which were later redone an made it to the final film

thenerdal
Oct 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
I knew they didn't use an iPhone to record a feature film. I knew it. Now can we lock this thread?

something3153
Oct 23, 2011, 02:03 PM
I find the incredulity in this thread rather repugnant, especially that coming from those who claim to know something about photography. Any photographer worth his/her salt knows that being in the moment is often worth more than all the super expensive equipment that you could have.

In this case, if a scene had been setup, is being filmed with the primary equipment, it is quite plausible that someone might pull out a small camera, such as a phone, and if the result turned out well enough, even if it wasn't full resolution, with some post production it could easily be cut in as an alternate angle for a few seconds in the scene.

At no point, even before the misquote was explained, was it suggested the entire movie shot with an iPhone, or anything more than a few short clips.

It is ridiculous to think that there wouldn't be enough real cameras on the set of a movie like this to get every angle they'd want without using a damn phone. Ridiculous. And I guarantee, no matter what you do with post production, it would stick out like a sore thumb in a theater. It might be good enough for a heavily-compressed 720p feed from iTunes, though, I'll give you that.

mrsir2009
Oct 23, 2011, 02:06 PM
What are you talking about? I've got a CRT TV also. We here have no HD channels etc., only digital signal (about 480i or 480p), that has somehow a DVD quality. The same goes for the cable operators.

So it is not worth to invest into any kind of HD ready or HD screen for the average consumer.

Buying one is only worth in situations, if you want to play HD ready Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 games (most games work in 720p mode) or when you want to look at MKV rips, that you can get on torrents.

I have HD Sky TV and a Blu-Ray Player (which I only have because it was a bargin and the old DVD player broke), but I'm still fine with my CRT because it works and I don't mind the quality. I still enjoy TV perfectly fine with a CRT.

andyone
Oct 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
Disregarding noise, resolution and DOF, the iPhone is still useless as a professional camera, because of the shutter. Unless you film a perfectly stationary scene, you will see horrible rolling shutter jello.

Seriously people, get real. It's a freaking phone.

MagnusVonMagnum
Oct 23, 2011, 03:09 PM

I watch just as many HD movies off my own collection as I do cable here. With a 93" screen, you want a good picture and so I'd still want HD even if I couldn't get it from my cable company, broadcast, etc.

While you're technically correct, I'm a little disturbed that you would mention this movie and Casablanca in the same paragraph. :eek:

I don't even have any interest in this movie what-so-ever. I simply read the thread because of the iPhone connection. Casablanca is simply the first movie that comes to mind when I think of a restored old movie. I'm a huge Bogart fan (have or have watched all his starring and co-starring movies and a huge number of the two-bit part ones as well). Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon were the first HD B&W movies I added to my HD collection.

supercooled
Oct 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
Great journalism...

Apple fanaticism isn't just for the average joe anymore! Seriously, a little over zealous reporting is forgivable. Heard they used the T2i/550d in X-Men First Class. The DSLRs are of no shock value anymore especially when you throw in a 5d MKII.

markie
Oct 23, 2011, 07:49 PM
Disregarding noise, resolution and DOF, the iPhone is still useless as a professional camera, because of the shutter. Unless you film a perfectly stationary scene, you will see horrible rolling shutter jello.

But, CMOS (rolling shutter) chips ARE being used to film actual movies. Quite successfully. Ever heard of the RED One? A very nice, impressive movie camera that uses a rolling shutter system (CMOS).

Granted, the scan rate is MUCH faster than an iPhone, but there's still rolling shutter artifacts. Just less objectionable due to the higher scan rate.

xxgilxx
Oct 23, 2011, 11:21 PM

I have the 5dMkII. Great camera for HD video.

ippikiokami
Oct 24, 2011, 08:31 AM
But, CMOS (rolling shutter) chips ARE being used to film actual movies. Quite successfully. Ever heard of the RED One? A very nice, impressive movie camera that uses a rolling shutter system (CMOS).

Granted, the scan rate is MUCH faster than an iPhone, but there's still rolling shutter artifacts. Just less objectionable due to the higher scan rate.

Isn't that the point? Because of the slower scanning the iphone isn't a tool that a film maker would use.

With good equipment outside of the camera ... etc of course you can take a good picture or film something well without the best. But when you have the budget the best DOES make a difference. Whoever said it doesn't is lying

Consultant
Oct 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
Except apparently, they didn't. This was a lot of crowing followed by a lot of silence when it turns out that no, the iPhone is not going to shoot a feature film.

Film shot on iPhone:
http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2011/01/10/a-novel-way-of-using-iphone-4-film-making/

daxomni
Oct 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
Correction. It's a siriously magical phone.

Never mind that several other phones have caught up with or even surpassed much of what an iPhone can do while Apple has been sleeping. The most recent update looks a lot like a catch-up move. Although I'm hoping the next iPhone once again sets a much higher standard so everyone in the market for a smart phone can eventually benefit from renewed pressure on all platforms.

markie
Oct 24, 2011, 01:31 PM
Isn't that the point? Because of the slower scanning the iphone isn't a tool that a film maker would use.

With good equipment outside of the camera ... etc of course you can take a good picture or film something well without the best. But when you have the budget the best DOES make a difference. Whoever said it doesn't is lying

No, the poster I quoted said that rolling shutter could never be used to make a movie. Which is nonsense... There's applications where CCD is much better, but CMOS actually has a much more film like appearance in other ways...

thenerdal
Oct 24, 2011, 02:44 PM
Film shot on iPhone:
http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2011/01/10/a-novel-way-of-using-iphone-4-film-making/

iPhones can not shoot feature film. Is that a feature film? They can shoot indie films, but not feature films.

EvilShenaniganZ
Oct 24, 2011, 02:50 PM

I'd put money on them being the shots of troops and cops running to an event early in the trailer. Those are the kinds of things a bystander would hypothetically capture on that kind of camera.

That would t be lost on the guy who did the 9/11 movie.

Can I have my money now? :cool:

Dagless
Oct 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
Oh good it's not true.

720p upscaled to 1080p would not be cool, and look even worse in the cinema itself.

imahawki
Oct 26, 2011, 12:18 PM
In this case, if a scene had been setup, is being filmed with the primary equipment, it is quite plausible that someone might pull out a small camera, such as a phone, and if the result turned out well enough, even if it wasn't full resolution, with some post production it could easily be cut in as an alternate angle for a few seconds in the scene. No, no its not, not even remotely possible. I have friends who have worked decades in the film industry. That's like saying, if a guy pulled onto Daytona during qualifying laps in his Corolla and drove well enough, they'd probably let him race. Its plausible.

daxomni
Oct 26, 2011, 12:25 PM
No, no its not, not even remotely possible. I have friends who have worked decades in the film industry. That's like saying, if a guy pulled onto Daytona during qualifying laps in his Corolla and drove well enough, they'd probably let him race. Its plausible.
Thank you for that bit of sanity! Why do people fall for that sort of thinking in the first place? Yeah, some guy from Korea found a way to make a carefully crafted movie project work with an iPhone. Good for him. Meanwhile 99% of filmmakers really don't care if you have ever held or even heard of their equipment or not.