Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rev.b

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Portugal
Since 10.7.2 I'm randomly getting graphic corruption on my external monitor (Dell 2711). It's connected to my '10 15" MBP by a minidisplayport - displayport cable. Color profile is apple RGB and resolution is 2560x1440. The MBP LCD is also on, making a multimonitor setup.

Here:

screenshot20111022at959.png

screenshot20111022at959.png

It only goes away with a restart, then it's fine. If I disconnect the external monitor, switch to integrated intel, and then connect the external monitor again, the problem persists. I never get corruption on the MBP screen, either with the integrated intel or with Nvidia 330M.

It's annoying to have to do a restart every time this happens.

I'm, pretty sure it's a software bug, I've never seen it with 10.7.1, anyone else is getting this?

Thanks.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I was getting that same problem after updating to 10.7.2 when I first installed Lion over a SL install. Have not experienced it after doing a clean install of Lion.

rev.b

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Portugal
So it´s definitely a bug.

Anyway, i just upgraded to a early 2011 17" MBP, and for now, I'm not experiencing it.

Maybe a Nvidia kext problem...

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
Graphics drivers were updated in 10.7.2 so a bug in the new driver seems like a reasonable explanation.

FaceLord

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Seems to be the color profile

I've been having the same issue since upgrading to 10.7.2.

The internal laptop screen in unaffected. But after running my computer for awhile, eventually the external monitor (connected with mini display port to HDMI adapter) starts showing most things all corrupted. I can drag the window back to my laptop screen and it looks fine. Chrome windows and video seem to be particularly affected, perhaps because they use hardware acceleration? However native windows such as the System Preferences shows as corrupt for a split second when I drag it over, then looks normal, even though the windows behind it and around it are corrupt.

It is always resolved with a restart.

Your brief mention of which color profile you were using made me wonder if that might somehow play into the issue. So I unchecked the box "Show profiles for this display only" and tried randomly choosing a different color profile and it immediately cleared up the issue without having to restart.

Interestingly, if I switch back to the color profile that it was using by default "SyncMaster", elements that were previously affected by the corruption now look all burnt. I wonder if this color profile has become corrupt and that's causing the whole issue?

burnt-macbook-pro-display-2010-1.png

burnt-macbook-pro-display-2010-2.png

burnt-macbook-pro-display-2010-2b.png

rev.b

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Portugal
It must be Nvidia drivers; as I upgraded to a early '11 MBP (same Lion installation, just swapped the SSD) and it doesn't happen with the Radeon 6750M.

FaceLord

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Makes sense

That is probably true, I've got the 17" 2010 MBP with Nvidia 330m. So far people complaining about garbled graphics, burnt icons or corrupt external display have either the 330m or the 320m.

Lucky me

xtremesniper

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
I just wanted to add that I am getting this problem (took me forever to find how to phrase my searches to find this thread).

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 15" with Nvidia 330M 512MB. The problem only started getting obvious when I recently started using a Dell U2412M monitor. It drives a high resolution so it must be taxing the GPU harder than normal, enough for it to bring out all the faults in the drivers.

I have not found a solution thus far, but I still have hope that this is simply a faulty driver issue and not a hardware issue because of the color space workaround.

Keep us updated on any progress on the issue, as I'll do the same.

EDIT: I also wanted to point out something I found odd in recent weeks... Every time I repair my disk permissions, I always find Library to have the wrong permissions. Something along the lines of it has 80 for group, but it should be 0. A few other things within Library also always need fixing. I don't know if this is related, as I don't remember seeing those particular fixes to be always present prior to noticing this issue.

Last edited:

FaceLord

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Temporary fix

I still get this issue off and on. If I try choosing different color profiles, it goes away for awhile. But my colors and contrast never look right, because they ae not the right color profile.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you used a Spyder color calibration device at all? Before I started experiencing this issue, I had tried out a Spyder 3. I used it on the windows side, so I don't think it would be connected to this issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there since my issue does seem to be connected to color profiles.

xtremesniper

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
Just out of curiosity, have any of you used a Spyder color calibration device at all? Before I started experiencing this issue, I had tried out a Spyder 3. I used it on the windows side, so I don't think it would be connected to this issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there since my issue does seem to be connected to color profiles.

No, I've never used hardware calibration so you can probably cross that out as a suspect. I'm pretty sure this is some sort of software issue...

Perhaps someone can post up a ktext from a version of OS X where this wasn't an issue? Or maybe that would just cause more problems... Who knows. :confused:

xtremesniper

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
As mentioned in the other related thread... Just to update, I think the latest OS X Lion update 10.7.3 has resolved this issue even though the changelog makes no mention of graphical fixes for Nvidia GPUs.

rossip

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011

JonathanMD

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Still happens in 10.7.3

This is still an issue for me even after updating to 10.7.3.

Changing the color profiles fixes the issue for me. However, if I try and recreate profil through the "Calibrate..." button that creates a new color profile for my monitor, but that profile also does not work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 9.25.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 9.25.02 AM.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 9.25.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-23 at 9.25.12 AM.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 112

deecasey

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I'm still having similar problems to this on my 15" Macbook Pro (mid-2010 model) ever since I got my 2nd monitor, a LG Flatron E2360, and it really bugs the life out of me!!

I really hope this problem is resolved with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion because we all know how poorly OS X 10.7 Lion has handled multiply monitors.

But out of interest has anyone actually brought there Macbook Pro into AppleCare for them to have a look and try to resolve it?

almostdaniel

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2012
Just a note: Going into System Preferences > Displays > Color, and picking a different colorsync profile than the device-related one (you will need to uncheck the "Show profiles for this display only" option) seems to have fixed the problem for me. For example, I chose sRGB IEC61966-2.1. The bug seems to be with Lion's ability to correctly build a device-specific color profile.

codejunkee

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Just a note: Going into System Preferences > Displays > Color, and picking a different colorsync profile than the device-related one (you will need to uncheck the "Show profiles for this display only" option) seems to have fixed the problem for me. For example, I chose sRGB IEC61966-2.1. The bug seems to be with Lion's ability to correctly build a device-specific color profile.

Ever since upgrading to 10.7, I've seen a corrupted Dock whenever I switch between two different 27" ACDs. My current config: 10.7.3 MBP (2.66 GHz I7, 8GB).

almostdaniel, you are awesome. I've been searching off and on for months on this issue and this has been the least painful solution. Thank you for posting!

Last edited:

mrjoshuap

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2012
Ever since upgrading to 10.7, I've seen a corrupted Dock whenever I switch between two different 27" ACDs. My current config: 10.7.3 MBP (2.66 GHz I7, 8GB).

almostdaniel, you are awesome. I've been searching off and on for months on this issue and this has been the least painful solution. Thank you for posting!

This too solved this problem for me on my 15" MBP :)

rachinc

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
Mac 10.7.4 color profile on desktop looks burnt overblown corrupted

last night I installed some keylogging software from the internet, and suddenly the screen on my new apple imac 27" (as of 6+ months) suddenly looked 'burnt'/the colors were over blown... IT LOOKED BAD! (I've been running 10.7.4 brand new out of the box for some time now with no issues).

I tried:
-going to system prefs and changing the color profiles..... but it didnt work.
-tried calibrating and it didnt fix a thing.
-I restarted. That didn't work.

When I restarted, and the computer turns on, it asks me which account I want to log into on the start up page (it asks me if I want to log in as michael or rachel which I setup months ago..Rachel is the admin.), and the color profile of that login screen looks FINE! and there is nothing wrong with it. then i choose rachel to login as (after the restart) and it still looks over blown/burnt.... IT LOOKS BAD. IT LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING IS DRASTICALLY WRONG. Kind of looks like the pictures posted in this forum, only more saturated and ridiculous.

so i log out and log into michael's account on the mac, and the color profile looks FINE!!! it's just mine thats corrupt for some reason and I can't figure out how to fix it!!! I googled this problem and tried a few of the solutions on the internet like restarting and calibrating, etc, and nothing worked. guess I'll have to call Mac once I get a free moment. hopefully they can fix it...thank god this computer is covered under apple care cause its brand new... cant wait to hear what apple has to say

And I'd like to note: I took a screenshot of how bad it looked (using Apple Shift 3), and posted it to facebook in hopes that my friends might have a solution. Then I left for work. At work, on a different computer, I checked my facebook post, and the screenshot looked fine from the computer I was on at work. The screenshot wasn't able to capture the corrupt-looking color profile

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.