Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Hi! (^o^)/" I'm planning to switch from Windows to Mac soon. To be honest, I've never used Mac OS X ... and I'm fine with that. Just from seeing and reading, and my overall disappointment with windows, I'm sure it'll be fine.

What I want to know, is it worth it to add Bluetooth to my iBook? I'm not sure if I'd have much use for it, but I'm curious as to what you think.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
mad jew said:
I don't have it and I don't regret it at all. Unless you want to sync a phone or use a wireless mouse or something, there's no major need.

Ahh ... I don't plan to do anything like that (^o^);

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You can also use the cell phone as a modem, or use a Bluetooth headset for things like internet telephony/chat.

Applespider

macrumors G4
It'll probably be built-in when they get round to updating the iBooks.

I have Bluetooth and find it really useful when used in conjunction with a Bluetooth phone (if you're planning on changing cell phone in the next year, then it might be worthwhile). The synching is useful (no need to rekey all your contacts back into your phone if they don't all save on the SIM card) but it's moving emails/pictures/ringtones back and forth that I find it most useful for. Many of the non-BT phones come with software and cables to do this but only PC instructions & software. At this point, Bluetooth is worth its weight in gold to me.

Having said that though if you're not planning on getting a BT cell phone or one which has cameras/added functionality, then I'd agree with madjew that you probably won't miss it.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Applespider said:
It'll probably be built-in when they get round to updating the iBooks.

I have Bluetooth and find it really useful when used in conjunction with a Bluetooth phone (if you're planning on changing cell phone in the next year, then it might be worthwhile). The synching is useful (no need to rekey all your contacts back into your phone if they don't all save on the SIM card) but it's moving emails/pictures/ringtones back and forth that I find it most useful for. Many of the non-BT phones come with software and cables to do this but only PC instructions & software. At this point, Bluetooth is worth its weight in gold to me.

Having said that though if you're not planning on getting a BT cell phone or one which has cameras/added functionality, then I'd agree with madjew that you probably won't miss it.

Yeah even the iMac's have it now........ :eek: :D :D

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Platform said:
Yeah even the iMac's have it now........ :eek: :D :D
My (nearly) 3 year old iMac has it built in.

For me it's incredibly useful, here's a list of what i use it for:

1. Sending SMS by typing on computer
2. Sending/receiving pictures and themes on my phone
3. Acting as a modem for my Palm Tungsten so i can browse the internet / pick up my e-mail sans computer (yes, both my .Mac and other accounts) (but i guess you don't need it on the computer for this)
4. Syncing my Tungsten if I don't have the cable
5. Sending data to my tungsten like pictures/ebooks/word/excel etc w/o syncing
6. Acting as a file sharing network (of sorts) if there's no airport
7. Call alerts when i have incoming calls etc.

I use Salling Clicker and PhoneAgent to achieve some of this.

The take-away point of all this is if you have a bluetooth device (phone/palm), bluetooth can be incredibly useful.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
if you plan on doing any gaming having a bluetooth mouse is really nice, i like mine but i have to fiddle about with my bluetooth dongle when i want to use it, also more and more phones are bluetooth now, personally i dont have a mobile but i'm in a minority.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
isync

Tamer Brad said:
Hi! (^o^)/" I'm planning to switch from Windows to Mac soon. To be honest, I've never used Mac OS X ... and I'm fine with that. Just from seeing and reading, and my overall disappointment with windows, I'm sure it'll be fine.

What I want to know, is it worth it to add Bluetooth to my iBook? I'm not sure if I'd have much use for it, but I'm curious as to what you think.

I have 2 mobile phones (work+personal) with bluetooth and I use ISync my 2 phone with the contacts in the mac in the iPod, press one button and they all syncronize, you can read about iSync here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/

you can use isync with cables but the less cables the better, the ipod uses a cable, but if i had to use cables for the phones too it would be too much.

You can also get a wireless bluetooth mouse (1 button mac or 2 button BT), you don't need to attach an ungly wireless adapter at the back our for computer like with cheap PC wireless mice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.