Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Times publishes a touching eulogy written by Steve Jobs' sister Mona Simpson:
None of us knows for certain how long we'll be here. On Steve's better days, even in the last year, he embarked upon projects and elicited promises from his friends at Apple to finish them. Some boat builders in the Netherlands have a gorgeous stainless steel hull ready to be covered with the finishing wood. His three daughters remain unmarried, his two youngest still girls, and he'd wanted to walk them down the aisle as he'd walked me the day of my wedding.

We all -- in the end -- die in medias res. In the middle of a story. Of many stories.
Photo from USC.edu

Article Link: A Sister's Eulogy for Steve Jobs

Last edited:

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A sad and beautiful read.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Beautifully written, very moving, a perfect final note to a genius and wonderful man of the modern day.

Only today we celebrated the birthday of my mother in law who died of pancreatic cancer a few months ago. The final few weeks as written by his sister brought back many memories.

A wonderful demonstration of strength, love and empathy.

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007
Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
How could one not be in tears by the end of this. Truly amazing. Steve, you wowed us so many times -- it's fitting to know you yourself were in a state of awe as you, as they said in Hudsucker Proxy, "Merged with the infinite." Beautiful.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
too much emphasis on "die" hope she's not obsessed with death too - law of attraction you get what you wish for.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
We often forget that famous people are first and foremost: dad, mon, son, daughter, sis, bro, husband, wife to the people they hold dear personally.

For all the reasons we are saddened by his passing, it is not as tragic for us as it is for those close to him.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
too much emphasis on "die" hope she's not obsessed with death too - law of attraction you get what you wish for.

That would be the reason for a eulogy, though. I am comforted by her words and Steve's apparent final take on death. I've read that most of his life he was 50/50 on there being an afterlife. At the end, he seemed sure. Sorry it is uncomfortable, but death is something to be pondered. It will happen to you even if you don't talk about it. It's the one absolute.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
After finishing the biography I was disappointed that it had nothing about his actual death and the circumstances surrounding it. It treated it as an inevitability, but it seemed to be missing that closure. Reading this is good at filling in that gap for the time being.

I hope a second edition comes out with more details on the circumstances and reactions surrounding his death. Also it would be nice to have a follow up chapter about the products that will come out in the next few years that he had influence on.

ApplesAndOrangs

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
"He made it through the night, Laurene next to him on the bed sometimes jerked up when there was a longer pause between his breaths. She and I looked at each other, then he would heave a deep breath and begin again."

That must be so painful for the family to watch, my prayers to them again.

:(

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
When my father died, of lung cancer, it was similar. Jerky breaths, hard work, steps as if there was huge mountain to climb, no backing up. My mother, my brother and me found it very sad, but also very special, loving, beautiful. We knew he was proud, we knew he was sad to leave us. I hope his family finds themselves strong, and able to cope without him. If my guesses of the man's personality are right; he married a fantastic woman, businesswoman, mother and wife, and parented his kids into well balanced, good minded and kind people. I wish them the best.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I cried again when I read this.

And I've got to say. Out of the most sincere respect to the Jobs family. Forgive me but his last words made me wonder what's the one more thing after death.

gbnz

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Mona Simpson and the Jobs family I thank you for sharing... i pictured those last few moments... so profound, so sad and so beautiful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.