Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I cried like a little kid. That was beautiful beyond words. I will never forget reading that as long as I live.

Last edited:

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
WOW!! an extremely moving 3 pages.

Just to think he was calling his sister to tell her to come that he was dying; the same day the iPhone 4S was launched in the "Town Hall"; that he actually talked to some at Apple and they still got on that stage and presented us Steve's iPhone 4S!! AMAZING....

----------

I don't get emotional at many things, and really none of the other things published about Steve Jobs had such a tear jerky feeling to them, and in this piece you can sense the honesty and sadness of a sister losing her brother.

I also wonder what the "oh wow, oh wow, oh wow" was about? Was he in wonder at the amazing family he had surrounding him? That he was finally liberated from his grueling (but amazing) work? The world will never know...

1955-2011 10/5/11

Apparently, he looked at each of them, probably in wonder and amazement - grateful to have had them in his life, and then he looked past them, and said the series of "oh wow"s. It is said that just before a person passes on, they have visions, see loved ones who have passed, angels, etc. Evidently Steve saw something amazing and beautiful before he left this world, and his last words were about it. It does happen.

He was probably envisioning the tunnelling effect.

Its a natural process that people misinterpret as "getting close to God."

In reality, the blood in the eye sockets compress on the retina from the sides creating a "tunnel" effect. Many people interpret this as the "light at the end of the tunnel" = God awaiting them.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.

Just to think he was calling his sister to tell her to come that he was dying; the same day the iPhone 4S was launched in the "Town Hall"; that he actually talked to some at Apple and they still got on that stage and presented us Steve's iPhone 4S!! AMAZING....

----------

In reality, the blood in the eye sockets compress on the retina from the sides creating a "tunnel" effect. Many people interpret this as the "light at the end of the tunnel" = God awaiting them.

You can believe what you want. What if when we die we really experience such effects? You believe in atoms, but you have never seen AN atom. You only believe in atoms because others told you that such things exist. Just because you do not believe in the afterlife does not mean that it does not exist. Just stirring the pot here.

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007
You can believe what you want. What if when we die we really experience such effects? You believe in atoms, but you have never seen AN atom. You only believe in atoms because others told you that such things exist. Just because you do not believe in the afterlife does not mean that it does not exist. Just stirring the pot here.

The whole "you have never seen..." quip is so medieval. (E.g., "you have never seen your brain...")

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006

He didn't say that he did not believe in the afterlife. He pointed out a physiological condition that is well known. The USAF understood this phenomenon decades ago when people passed out due to high G-force acceleration where they experienced something quite similar followed by euphoria when they recovered.

BTW, you can see an individual atom with a scanning tunneling electron microscope. Even, if I couldn't see one, I know an atom does what its exactly correctly predicted to do so from modern physics, chemistry and material science.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Pundits are comparing these touching stories with the death of Elvis. If this thread continues as it has, it could go on for quite some time. That would put MacRumors in contention for the most read Apple Forum.

How does one measure the increase in sales as a result of his passing. Just like Elvis whose memorabilia skyrocketed in value, so has the iPhone. An excellent opportunity to create a special commemorative iPhone.

Considering Steve Jobs achievements as the worlds greatest salesman, the possible product spin offs are endless. The thought would make him smile.

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs
As a nurse working at an Oncology Unit, I see people dying at their bedside with their loved ones and I sometimes get affected and cry. None of us knows Steve Jobs personally and we are saddened by his passing. He left us too soon because I know he can still change the world and do more wonderful things. I am thankful that I lived in this generation and have experienced the workings of a genius that is Steve Jobs.

Steve, you are FINALLY HOME !!! OH, WOW !!!

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
The whole "you have never seen..." quip is so medieval. (E.g., "you have never seen your brain...")

I have never seen my rectum (except that one time.. nevermind) but I know it exists. Steve Jobs died and he experienced something. I will go on believing that Steve saw the beginning of his new life (afterlife). OH WOW!!!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
As a nurse working at an Oncology Unit, I see people dying at their bedside with their loved ones and I sometimes get affected and cry.

That has to be tough at times.

Hearing about Jobs' death is reminding of times when I've had to deal with a loved one passing (only grandparents up to this point). It hurts, but not as much as the future passing of a parent, which I will never be prepared for.

But with Steve's passing I do receive the consistent message that shapes who the man was outside his sometime abrasive demeanor of managing of people. He cared, passionately, about his work and you can never fault someone for that. You can never fault someone for being themselves, however you may agree or disagree.

Good luck on the next level Steve. We all know you'll do great.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada

So when did you die? Listen pal, you can keep on telling yourself whatever you want to make it through the day but we all will have a reckoning one day.

We will all have to give account for our lives. If that bothers you then I'm sorry but it is inevitable.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
So when did you die? Listen pal, you can keep on telling yourself whatever you want to make it through the day but we all will have a reckoning one day.

We will all have to give account for our lives. If that bothers you then I'm sorry but it is inevitable.

The tunneling effect is also one byproduct of Pranayama breathing with Raja Yoga where one reaches the state of Samadhi leading to a final version known as Mahasamadhi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahasamadhi

----------

The beauty of all systems studying human existence and the higher Self is that the prudent ones all discuss the many rivers lead to one ocean but leave it to the end for one to discover.

However our energy is transferred Steve's experience was his own cosmic spark and one I'm happy he experienced.

I've seen a dozen members of my family pass [mostly from cancer of various forms] and have never been there for their final breath and/or thought. The Jobs extended family witnesses a very private, poignant and sacred moment, regardless of one's inner belief system.

He lived wide-eyed [I saw it at work on many occasions] and I'm glad he left wide-eyed of the mind.

Adgeman

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2005
Reading this makes me realise just how much I will miss him. Such a spectacular guy.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
That was very touching.

Now that we know more about the true extent of Steve's illness, somethings make more sense, like the interface of the iPad, the drive to thinner and lighter designs, the Magic Trackpad and swipe control in OS X Lion. All of these would make life easier for a man so weakened by illness that he would struggle to pick up and operate things like a mouse, tablet, laptop, etc.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Steve's last words are interesting...

Spiritual visions at the brink of death? An epiphany of some kind? Seeing the light?

Or perhaps he was just in pain and/or scared? :(

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I almost cried a little... so sad... it's hard to believe he's actually gone.

I cried for sure. It's even harder to believe he's gone while reading his bio. He seems so real and even though I didn't live through the 80's, when I look at the videos and read the bio, I can vividly imagine what was going through in his head and being there during exciting times.

It seems like his life was so short especially knowing the timeline of Apple products that came out by memory, it's like we have his whole career compressed. In fact, not long after introducing the iPod, he would learn about his illness. :(

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010

Major buzzkill dude. :(

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I cried for sure. It's even harder to believe he's gone while reading his bio. He seems so real and even though I didn't live through the 80's, when I look at the videos and read the bio, I can vividly imagine what was going through in his head and being there during exciting times.

It seems like his life was so short especially knowing the timeline of Apple products that came out by memory, it's like we have his whole career compressed. In fact, not long after introducing the iPod, he would learn about his illness. :(
Indeed, it was only ten years ago that he introduced the iPod. It seems like such a short time, it was about six years ago when I bought my first 1st generation iPod Nano. It was brilliant. It's rumoured he worked heavily on the iPhone 5 which gives me high hopes for it, the guy was a genius. I'll miss him, especially at the Keynote!

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
this story is way beyond touching ... I´m lost for words ..

but there is something we all can learn and that is that

If you live each day as it was your last,
someday you'll most certainly be right

And while some people may see it as depressing that we will pass away some day ... Steve nailed it when he said that the best tool is to remind yourself that you will die ...

Thouse words lead to so much ... It does prevent you from beeing traped by dogma but is also reminds you to be more humble, to be more caring .. to be more ...

because if I would die tomorrrow I dont want to feel like I didn´t do the right thing, that I didn´t tell my love ones how much I loved them, how much I care.

I´ve just become a father of 2 boys and
I never think that I will read that bedtime story tommorow
just because I´m tired ..
...because I dont know if there is a tommorow ...

and thats why I´m reading the bedtime story tonight

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore

----------

Jobs was a devout buddhist for much of his life, with a special affinity for Zen. Zen is not at all about "God" in the way the Abrahamic systems are, but really, being One with All. It's not terribly relevant whether personal consciousness exists after death, to a keen Zen practitioner, IMHO. If anything, getting too attached to that issue is missing the point by a long shot.

However, I will say, there are cases of "near death experiences" that simply cannot be explained away in the way you are attempting to. Not all, but some. It's worth taking a look at, if you are truly a skeptic.

----------

Steve's last words are interesting...

Spiritual visions at the brink of death? An epiphany of some kind? Seeing the light?

Or perhaps he was just in pain and/or scared? :(

All is One, dude -- when you grok it, there's really no response possible OTHER than OH WOW! :)

Anghammarad

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
I'm so tired of people dying from cancer. What year is this? Fifty-five-year-old men are not supposed to whither up and die like an orange that has been left in the sun. You want to know what a fifty-five-year-old can look like? Have you seen Doctor Drew? That guy has biceps bigger than my damn neck.

Indeed.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota

Sorry, no. At the time of impending death, there is no change in vascular tension that would cause vessels in the sides of the retina to "compress". And there is no change of vitreal pressure in the posterior chamber of the eye either, which would reshape the retina. Don't mind people looking for scientific answers, but that's not it.

Very moving and somehow exactly what I would expect from him. By the way, Mona knows how to write--excellent.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
Sorry, no. At the time of impending death, there is no change in vascular tension that would cause vessels in the sides of the retina to "compress". And there is no change of vitreal pressure in the posterior chamber of the eye either, which would reshape the retina. Don't mind people looking for scientific answers, but that's not it.

Very moving and somehow exactly what I would expect from him. By the way, Mona knows how to write--excellent.

Hahaha...irobby just got owned by farmboy !!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.