PDA

View Full Version : How do I install Xubuntu onto my iMac G3?

piekwandoe
Nov 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
So once upon a time i raged at my iMac G3 because it was being stupid and slow. Long story short i ended up deleting my "Finder" and a whole bunch of other system files. Can't remember exactly what ones, though. So I took to the internet on my PC the next day, downloaded Xubuntu for PowerPC, put it on a DVD-ROM, and inserted it into my iMac. The only thing that shows up on my screen when I attempt to boot up is a what looks like a .gif of a folder and on the folder is a flashing question mark and the little mac symbol of the face that looks like another face xD. Any help here would be appreciated.

DJLC
Nov 1, 2011, 10:46 PM
Put in the DVD, hold C as it boots. If that fails, hold the option key and it should pop up a list of boot options & let you choose to boot from the DVD.

goMac
Nov 2, 2011, 05:19 PM
How did you burn Xbuntu to a DVD?

Imixmuan
Nov 2, 2011, 07:24 PM
MintPPC. Linux Mint LXDE ontop of a Debian installation. Very fast and responsive, even on older G3 imacs thanks to the LXDE environment. Active forum, helpful moderators (I know, seriously), great apps like minitube, Iceweaseal 7 and VLC, lots of other apps. No flash, but no Linux PPC flash anyways.

http://www.mintppc.org

MacinDan
Nov 2, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'll second MintPPC. Xubuntu's support on PowerPC is unofficial and not the greatest. Plus, any Debian-based brand is going to be faster than an Ubuntu-based brand.