PDA

View Full Version : Can you increase VRAM?

john_satc
May 15, 2005, 02:34 PM
Can I upgrade my VRAM on my iBook, and if so where can I buy it in UK? I can't seem to find anywhere on net myself :( thanks

CanadaRAM
May 15, 2005, 02:37 PM
Nope. VRAM and the video chip are integrated on the motherboard.

wrldwzrd89
May 15, 2005, 02:37 PM
Can I upgrade my VRAM on my iBook, and if so where can I buy it in UK? I can't seem to find anywhere on net myself :( thanks
These days, VRAM is non-upgradable without getting a new graphics card (in your case, your only option is to buy a new computer, since the graphics card in all iBooks can't be replaced either). This is true of all Macs, and the overwhelming majority of Windows/Linux/etc. PCs.

john_satc
May 15, 2005, 02:38 PM
These days, VRAM is non-upgradable without getting a new graphics card (in your case, your only option is to buy a new computer, since the graphics card in all iBooks can't be replaced either). This is true of all Macs, and the overwhelming majority of Windows/Linux/etc. PCs.

This is really annoying then. cheers for your help though.

zach
May 15, 2005, 02:49 PM
I believe alienware and voodoo offer the only upgradable video solutions on laptops.. correct me if I'm wrong though.

oriol
May 15, 2005, 07:56 PM
the answer is NO u can't upgrade the VRAM. how they said get a new mac best thing to do.

my two cents

CanadaRAM
May 15, 2005, 07:58 PM
I believe alienware and voodoo offer the only upgradable video solutions on laptops.. correct me if I'm wrong though.
Eurocom and a few other companies have mini-PCI-X slot laptops as well

ReanimationLP
May 15, 2005, 08:00 PM
Well, technially, you COULD solder it off and solder on bigger modules. But thats way too much effort. x.x

Josh396
May 15, 2005, 08:22 PM
Well, technially, you COULD solder it off and solder on bigger modules. But thats way too much effort. x.x
I was actually wondering about this today. Is this actually possible? If so, how hard would it be to do it?

Platform
May 16, 2005, 07:20 AM

Yes, I think that is with the new PCIe slots or MXM ;)

revenuee
May 16, 2005, 07:31 AM
I was actually wondering about this today. Is this actually possible? If so, how hard would it be to do it?

well how good are with a solder? and how willing are you to have this become a paper weight when you screw up?

this is not like repairing a few wires in an electric device ... this was all machine manufactured -- the chances of making a mess of this is WAY greater then the potential benifits