PDA

View Full Version : Native Gmail Client for iOS is Released [Update: App Pulled]

MacRumors
Nov 2, 2011, 11:34 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/02/native-gmail-client-for-ios-is-released/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/gmailicon-150x152.jpg

The native Gmail client for iPhone and iPad has been released (http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/introducing-gmail-app-for-iphone-ipad.html):
Waiting. Walking. Watching TV. Working out. Winding down. Waking up. We check email pretty much everywhere these days. And when we do, we want easy access to our important messages so we can respond quickly and get back to life -- or slinging birds at thieving green pigs.

With that in mind, we've created a new Gmail app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. We've combined your favorite features from the Gmail mobile web app and iOS into one app so you can be more productive on the go. It's designed to be fast, efficient and take full advantage of the touchscreen and notification capabilities of your device. And it's one more reason to switch to Gmail.The app has several noteworthy features including push notifications for new messages; easy photo uploads; on the iPad, a similar side-by-side split view for reading an inbox and message at once; and more. A native Gmail app was rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/01/native-gmail-app-for-ios-reportedly-set-to-launch/) to be near completion earlier this week.

Update: A number of readers are reporting that the app has a significant bug related to push notifications and is giving errors to users upon installation.

Update: Google confirms the bug and has pulled the app (https://twitter.com/#!/gmail/status/131794997308690434) until it can be fixed.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/gmailscreenies.jpg

Gmail for iPhone and iPad is a free download (http://itunes.apple.com/app/gmail/id422689480?mt=8) from the App Store.

Article Link: Native Gmail Client for iOS is Released [Update: App Pulled] (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/02/native-gmail-client-for-ios-is-released/)

Lopes
Nov 2, 2011, 11:37 AM
anyone getting a notification error of "no valid 'aps-environment' entitlement string found for application" when you first start it up?

basically, it seems notifications are broken for it. Great.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 11:38 AM
anyone getting a notification error of "no valid 'aps-environment' entitlement string found for application" when you first start it up?

yep, me too

andylyon
Nov 2, 2011, 11:38 AM

Yeah got that also straight away!

richard4339
Nov 2, 2011, 11:39 AM

Yep. Broken here too.

Lopes
Nov 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
phew, so it's not just me!

So, how in the world did THAT kind of error/bug make it through testing and the app store approval process?

pbkiller
Yup... +1

joeshmo2010
Lol, leave it to google to release a non-finished app. Seriously? How hard is it to actually make sure the "public" version is really ready without major bugs. Do they not run the app before they submit?

utahking
Nov 2, 2011, 11:42 AM
Same here. Doesn't support multiple inboxes either. Not any better than built in email app.

DigitalLifeDad
Nov 2, 2011, 11:43 AM
Deleted app, restarted phone, re-downloaded again.

Same thing.
Nice Start Google : (

gglockner
I thought we already had a native Gmail reader. It was the built-in mail reader. Sorry, but I can't get too excited about yet another redundant app.

Lopes
Same here. Doesn't support multiple inboxes either. Not any better than built in email app.

Or the web interface. Attachments are nice, but...

richard4339
Nov 2, 2011, 11:44 AM
Just submitted a bug report through the App Store to Google; though I'm sure they're already getting flooded.

bp1000
Nov 2, 2011, 11:44 AM
Shame

Doesn't do multiple accounts

Plus got an error about notifications on start up like everyone else mentioned

Good effort, long way to go.

fishmoose
Nov 2, 2011, 11:46 AM
Don't understand why anyone was excited about this, don't we all know Google can't design things to save their life? I knew it would be **** the same minute I heard of it.

mattwolfmatt
Nov 2, 2011, 11:52 AM
It will probably be in beta until 2017.

Sneakz
Nov 2, 2011, 11:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Installed it, then promptly deleted it. No multiple accounts, push not working as already noted.

fraggot
Nov 2, 2011, 11:53 AM
I have to agree with others that this just seems redundant. Before you know it, every E-Mail service is going to have their own app. Not to mention the blatant rip off of the Facebook app, the slide-in menu from the left, tsk tsk.

And it basically serves the same functions as the Mail app, maybe plus a few extras. Plus until Apple allows(which I don't see it happening) you to change your default application for specific functions, it will remain useless.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 11:54 AM

So, how in the world did THAT kind of error/bug make it through testing and the app store approval process?

I wonder what exactly is throwing that error? Maybe something on Googles end? I know you have to have a separate production and development push certificates. Hopefully it is just a simple server issue on Googles end that will be fixed by the end of the day.

tfigs121
Nov 2, 2011, 11:54 AM
How is this any better or different than the default Mail app? I don't know why this app would be necessary or why people are excited about it. Can someone tell me the benefits of this over the Mail app? Thanks.

:confused:

starvingartist8
Nov 2, 2011, 11:55 AM
rofl it doesn't even work. Not that I was going to but this just sets it in stone more that I would never buy a Google Android phone XD if they can't make a simple app for an iPhone god knows what would happen to their mobile OS

Zimmy68
Nov 2, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm not seeing it on my iPhone or iPad in the app store.
I can download it on iTunes though.

Weird.

thederby
Nov 2, 2011, 11:57 AM
i use gmail as well as a few other google-hosted email domains.... my "default" configuration is likely to remain the ios mail app with exchange/push, but it'll be nice to have the ability to search the entire mailbox in a native app when needed.

i don't see myself enabling the push notifications for the app.

dethmaShine
Nov 2, 2011, 11:57 AM
It's a ****ing webview.

Good lord, I could code this app in a week.

erthquake
Nov 2, 2011, 11:59 AM
I'm not seeing it on my iPhone or iPad in the app store.
I can download it on iTunes though.

Weird.

If you search "gmail" in the app store on your device, it's way down on the third page of results.

vtstarck
The swipe right for labels isn't working for me either.

This app was on my phone for about 2 minutes before I deleted it. Complete garbage.

Icaras
What a beautiful app icon. Those Google designers really rival Apple's artistry.

EDIT: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mms13
Nov 2, 2011, 12:00 PM
It doesn't even add an entry for notifications in settings, meaning it's not even capable of getting notifications.

And yeah, the UI is just a gross webview.

Oh well, I have no qualms with the Mail.app

starvingartist8
Nov 2, 2011, 12:03 PM
I like the interface colour scheme and the way you can swipe the menu on and off but apart from that it is slow as a turtle and feels clunky. I can't see any advantage over the native Mail app. I will be deleting it now.

----------

What a beautiful app icon. Those Google designers really rival Apple's artistry.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/Nailbunny375/not-sure-if-serious.jpg

rival or copy?

gage006
Nov 2, 2011, 12:04 PM
Why do people want this? I can do the exact same thing with Gmail's exchange setup.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 12:05 PM
It's a ****ing webview.

It would take you that long? Or is that 1 week including the App Store approval process? :D

starvingartist8
Nov 2, 2011, 12:05 PM

rofl, funny cause probably true looking back at their other stuff :P

can't blame google for trying but google should stick to what it does best and do their search engine XD look at all their stuff that has failed for example, google buzz, google+.. the list goes on.

I always use google.com for search and have been using GMail since launch. They are the only two things I think Google should even talk publicly about :P

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 12:06 PM
It doesn't even add an entry for notifications in settings, meaning it's not even capable of getting notifications.

And yeah, the UI is just a gross webview.

Oh well, I have no qualms with the Mail.app

Not exactly, it looks like there is an error with the push notifications at the moment, this can either be an app issue or just a server issue.

richard4339
Nov 2, 2011, 12:07 PM
Aside from the obvious bug, I kinda like it for the simple fact that I can (finally) choose if I want to archive something or delete it. I'm keeping the app for now.

vant
Nov 2, 2011, 12:09 PM
You guys act surprised that an App from Google has bugs in it.

Obviously you haven't used Google Voice yet.

It's been out for a year or two now, and it STILL CRASHES/HANGS EVERYDAY!

It'll be a long time before I trust Google with my whole operating system.

starvingartist8
Aside from the obvious bug, I kinda like it for the simple fact that I can (finally) choose if I want to archive something or delete it. I'm keeping the app for now.

you can do that via the mail app too once you set up your google account with it. Honestly I delete and archive each day using the mail app. you just drag it to your All Mail folder or other designated archived folder.

dloomer
Not to mention the blatant rip off of the Facebook app, the slide-in menu from the left, tsk tsk.

Well, to me, the FB slide-in menu is a great innovation that deserves to become ubiquitous.

Some of the best UI elements in iOS come from duplicating someone else's original idea, and we're all better off for it (see "pull to refresh" which I believe came from Tweetie).

ArchaicRevival
Cut google some slack, jesus!

808?
Google really rushed this one.

I installed, tried and deleted it within 3 minutes.

Tinmania
Nov 2, 2011, 12:10 PM
I was happy to hear about this app.

Till I installed it. Then I realized that "native" meant you were supposed to feel right at home as if you were in Safari.

Deleted it.

I already get push notifications by setting up Gmail as exchange.

Michael

starvingartist8
Nov 2, 2011, 12:11 PM

mmhmm. I tried out my friends icecreamsandwich phone yesterday and I thought it was a burden to use as well as a boring experience.

ah123
Nov 2, 2011, 12:12 PM
Yep, quite a let-down on a number of levels.

I'm sticking with the mail.app for now until they change it from the web view to something a bit nicer and fix the notifications.

nealibob
Nov 2, 2011, 12:12 PM
It's a ****ing webview.

The Android app is basically the same, though. Yes, it's far more polished, and probably caches more data locally, but it's still just a dressed up browser.

starvingartist8
Nov 2, 2011, 12:13 PM
Well, to me, the FB slide-in menu is a great innovation that deserves to become ubiquitous.

Some of the best UI elements in iOS come from duplicating someone else's original idea, and we're all better off for it (see "pull to refresh" which I believe came from Tweetie).

Google doesn't innervate ever though so they have no right realistically :P

Google is the guy in the suit
Facebook and Apple is the guy in the art smock

rsxmachine
This app sucks, and I am not not saying that because the notifications don't work. The thing scrolls weird, and is no different than the mobile safari version. the emails are not even modified to fit iphone screen. Common, I can't believe this.

maxdefcon
This app is horrible. When replying, the "Send" button is no where to be found unless you scroll all the way up or down. The images don't resize to the screen correctly, so they are big and off the screen to the right. The images I'm talking about are the HTML formatted ones like Apple sends out regarding product/software updates. AppAdvice stated there isn't Push for Gmail prior to this which isn't true. I commented on their article with the following;

"I use Google Sync on my iPhone and receive Push email without problem. So to state, "For one, a Gmail app would finally bring Push Notifications to Google’s service on iOS, something that isn’t possible when using it via Apple’s Mail app." is not entirely accurate. Now with iOS 5 and "View in Lock Screen" and "Show Preview" enabled within Notifications for the Mail app, once I receive the email it shows me a snippet of that email instantaneous."

I suggest using Google Sync with the following Notifications set within iOS 5 (above in my comment to AppAdvice).

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

mkrishnan
Nov 2, 2011, 12:14 PM
I haven't downloaded it yet, but the one reason I'd even consider something like this is for enhanced support of the priority inbox system, which I really like. Honestly, I have eight e-mail addresses in my iPhone and 99% of the important traffic comes through my Gmail account.

mbhforum
As of now, no where near a replacement for native mail client.

However, this can be useful when searching for old mail as the native e-mail client is just not sufficient even with the "search on server" feature (which doesn't seem to work 100% of the time).

KakaduDreamer
Uhm, I'm probably missing something obvious but...WHERE are the Push notification settings for this new Gmail app? There's no "Gmail" specific area under iOS' Settings > Notifications

rsxmachine
Nov 2, 2011, 12:16 PM
If this is a sign of what android is like, I am glad I didn't switch.

macbd
Nov 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
...So, how in the world did THAT kind of error/bug make it through testing and the app store approval process?

Maybe that bug just "slipped" though the approval process, if you know what I mean. :apple:

eye4ni
Why are all the people who "don't give a rip" about this app the ones sending so many comments? You don't like it or need it, move on..... but being a heavy gmail (google apps/domain) user I am very happy to see this app.... I have never really liked using the default mail app for gmail mostly because I heavily rely on Labels/Stars/Filters etc. which the default app doesn't handle all that well (I know it WORKS but it is different).

First submission OBVIOUSLY has a bug in it preventing notifications from working, but seriously people, calm down.... I'm sure it will be updated promptly to fix the error... then you can all continue bi+ching about everything else wrong with the app.

room237

The FB slide menu looks good on the iPad, but on the iPhone it is just too big, not sized right and looks incredibly awkward, IMO. Never thought I'd say this, but I miss the 9 icons on a grid.

Simplicated
Nov 2, 2011, 12:20 PM
Why are all the people who "don't give a rip" about this app the ones sending so many comments? You don't like it or need it, move on..... but being a heavy gmail (google apps/domain) user I am very happy to see this app.... I have never really liked using the default mail app for gmail mostly because I heavily rely on Labels/Stars/Filters etc. which the default app doesn't handle all that well (I know it WORKS but it is different).

First submission OBVIOUSLY has a bug in it preventing notifications from working, but seriously people, calm down.... I'm sure it will be updated promptly to fix the error... then you can all continue bi+ching about everything else wrong with the app.

Oh my god, so you can't grumble about something you are dissatisfied with now?

zorinlynx
Nov 2, 2011, 12:21 PM
Push mail works just FINE with Gmail. You just have to set it up as an Exchange account, as described on this page:

Once you do this, not only will you have push notifications for email, but you will also sync your Google contacts and calendars seamlessly. I set up my iPhone like this on day one and haven't touched it since. It works so perfectly that I wonder why Apple's own "Google Account" option when adding a mail account doesn't just do it this way.

nagromme
Nov 2, 2011, 12:23 PM
I thought we already had a native Gmail reader. It was the built-in mail reader. Sorry, but I can't get too excited about yet another redundant app.

Well, on Android they’ve had two redundant email apps! One for GMail, one for everything else. I guess they wanted iPhone users to have that “privilege” too :p

Still, if you use ONLY GMail (only ONE GMail account?) and no other email accounts, this is one more option you have (once they work the bugs out). Options are nice!

Most people use multiple accounts, though, and managing two separate email apps is just not good enough. (Except for Android users, I guess :p )

Maybe Google will add support for non-Google accounts, and this will eventually evolve into something pretty nice.

LoganT
Nov 2, 2011, 12:25 PM
The only thing I'll be using the Gmail app for is to delete messages. Because apparently it just archives them if you delete them on exchange.

jroadley
Nov 2, 2011, 12:26 PM
This is bad, got sent a picture and it doesn't resize it to fit the screen like the native mail app.

I've deleted it from iPhone - will see if any better on iPad.

rsxmachine
Nov 2, 2011, 12:30 PM
The only thing I'll be using the Gmail app for is to delete messages. Because apparently it just archives them if you delete them on exchange.

there is an option to change that in exchange settings. Looks like you won't need the app then.

douglaswilliams
Nov 2, 2011, 12:30 PM
Does the Gmail Client sync your contacts? If so, does it work in iOS5?

CmdrLaForge
Nov 2, 2011, 12:31 PM
Is it only for Gmail or can I add other accounts as well? If only Gmail then its pretty useless for me as I have several other accounts e.g. MobileMe.

binarymelon
Nov 2, 2011, 12:33 PM
Lol, leave it to google to release a non-finished app. Seriously? How hard is it to actually make sure the "public" version is really ready without major bugs. Do they not run the app before they submit?

Actually I think the cause of this error is from the submission process. Still Google's fault, but not really something they can test. A little surprising that Apple would push the app through with the error. Google probably gets to bypass the approval process.

----------

there is an option to change that in exchange settings. Looks like you won't need the app then.

That option is only there for Gmail through IMAP.

KakaduDreamer
Nov 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
Push mail works just FINE with Gmail. You just have to set it up as an Exchange account, as described on this page:

Once you do this, not only will you have push notifications for email, but you will also sync your Google contacts and calendars seamlessly. I set up my iPhone like this on day one and haven't touched it since. It works so perfectly that I wonder why Apple's own "Google Account" option when adding a mail account doesn't just do it this way.

You're talking about the Exchange settings as it relates to the native Mail.app -- I already have that setup. I was inquiring about Push and Notifications settings specific to this brand new GMAIL app.

rsxmachine
Nov 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
apple let the app through with major problems so that we all could see how crappy google software is. lol

PhoneI
Nov 2, 2011, 12:36 PM

The reason I was excited for this is that I figured I might be able to save on my battery life by using the dedicated GMAIL app (with push notifications), instead of doing an active sync exchange account. ActiveSync push is one of the biggest draws of the battery.

It sure is one ugly app though and push notifications don't work.

Hazel
Nov 2, 2011, 12:36 PM

The problem with this is that when you use gmail's Exchange (ActiveSync) feature for email, flags/stars break -- if you flag a message it will not get synced to gmail.

This was a dealbreaker for me so I went back to the Mail app's standard gmail functionality. It seems that currently, if you want to use gmail in the built-in Mail app, you can either get push notifications, or stars, but not both.

John.B
Nov 2, 2011, 12:38 PM
Apparently Google is trying to bring down the the iOS experience to match Android.

eye4ni
Nov 2, 2011, 12:44 PM
Oh my god, so you can't grumble about something you are dissatisfied with now?

This is not my point.... I personally just get a little irritated with people who do nothing but complain. Online, people are super quick to complain and whine about free stuff not being the way that they want. I would understand if you had to shell out cash for this app, sure, complain, yell, scream about it.... but no one here has had to pay a penny to download/use this app and just because the initial release has a giant bug that will obviously get fixed right away, people start bashing.

Just me venting I guess

critic81
Nov 2, 2011, 12:47 PM
I was SOOOO looking forward to this, but I'm disappointed. Just a wrapped webview. Google must have the talent to be able to make a gmail app that is at least up to par with the Android gmail app. Hopefully this gets updated soon to fix the notification error.

Xenomorph
Nov 2, 2011, 12:50 PM
Cut google some slack, jesus!

Cut them some slack? Google has been "working" on stuff like this on Android since 2008, and it's still a complete mess (on both platforms). If they can't get things right after this long, they probably need to stop trying.

Actually, it's worse. On iOS, at least the Gmail app scrolls smoothly. It's even worse on Google's own platform (slow and sluggish, choppy scrolling).

ah123
Nov 2, 2011, 12:50 PM
Breaking - they're renaming the app to GFail.

supervelous
Nov 2, 2011, 12:52 PM
I don't have high hopes for this app, considering the notification error, and the fact Google Voice app is STILL broken.

BoxerGT2.5
Nov 2, 2011, 12:57 PM

Not in the least. Gmail on android is nothing like this.

TiBook550
Nov 2, 2011, 12:59 PM
…and the fact Google Voice app is STILL broken.

I thought it was fixed a little while ago? Works fine for me.

Now, the Gmail app on the other hand...

MJedi
Nov 2, 2011, 12:59 PM
Looks like it got pulled. I'm getting the message, "This item is temporarily unavailable." Hopefully, Google is uploading a fix.

sclawis300
Nov 2, 2011, 01:01 PM
This is not my point.... I personally just get a little irritated with people who do nothing but complain. Online, people are super quick to complain and whine about free stuff not being the way that they want. I would understand if you had to shell out cash for this app, sure, complain, yell, scream about it.... but no one here has had to pay a penny to download/use this app and just because the initial release has a giant bug that will obviously get fixed right away, people start bashing.

Just me venting I guess

Does anyone else see the irony here?

FasterQuieter
Nov 2, 2011, 01:04 PM
Why do people want this? I can do the exact same thing with Gmail's exchange setup.

Perhaps it is for those challenged users who can't/won't attempt the few simple steps involved in setting this up. I certainly know a few people like that. As in everybody I know except myself.

RollTide1017
Nov 2, 2011, 01:05 PM
What's the app called? I searched for Gmail or Google and don't see it in the app store.

Mal
Nov 2, 2011, 01:05 PM

As a current Android user, I can attest to the fact that this is exactly what it's like.

jW

Joshitect
Nov 2, 2011, 01:06 PM
What's the app called? I searched for Gmail or Google and don't see it in the app store.

Looks like it got pulled... Now we wait again..

I emailed the link to myself and got "the Item you tried to buy is no longer available"

rwilliams
Nov 2, 2011, 01:07 PM
I think the app has been pulled from the store. It started installing, and then I got the message about it no longer being available.

GiantSteve
Nov 2, 2011, 01:10 PM

Despite the bugs (and lack of QC) in this application, it gives me all the Gmail functionality I need without using the web version. Once this is cleaned up (very disappointing that they would not release it right the first time) it will be very useful to me and many other heavy Gmail users.

penguy
Nov 2, 2011, 01:12 PM
hmmm. I just downloaded it. From my iphone, it was on the third page of apps that appeared after typing 'gmail'.

One reason I thought I might use it is the ability to categorize and star email (as well as archive), and, while it can do that, I much prefer the screen size formating that Apple's native app institutes. This version performs like the web version, ie, open an email and have to constantly scroll left to right to read it. Apple's mail app sizes appropriately and you can zoom if necessary.

Will delete (more than likely) as I don't currently see the benefit

aznkid25
Nov 2, 2011, 01:21 PM
http://www.twitter.com/gmail/status/131797206721232897

The iOS app we launched today contained a bug with notifications. We have pulled the app to fix the problem. Sorry we messed up.

rwilliams
Nov 2, 2011, 01:21 PM
So how do you guys feel about this app basically being a wrapper for their web application? I've always felt that iOS apps shouldn't mimic something I can get from the web.

shuckit
Nov 2, 2011, 01:23 PM
I applaud google for its latest attempt to improve the iOS experience. They are subliminally saying switch to android...

curtisinoc
Nov 2, 2011, 01:25 PM
How is this any better or different than the default Mail app? I don't know why this app would be necessary or why people are excited about it. Can someone tell me the benefits of this over the Mail app? Thanks.

^^ I agree ^^

As long as you set up your gmail account via Exchange on iPhone, I don't see the need for this app . .

eNcrypTioN
Nov 2, 2011, 01:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hope this is fixed quickly. I need this app ASAP!

richard4339
Nov 2, 2011, 01:26 PM
They've updated their announcement.

Update: 11/2/11: Earlier today we launched a new Gmail app for iOS. Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error message when first opening the app. We’ve removed the app while we correct the problem, and we’re working to bring you a new version soon. Everyone who’s already installed the app can continue to use it.

budafied
Nov 2, 2011, 01:30 PM
Not in the least. Gmail on android is nothing like this.

+1

Why did someone downvote this? The statement is 100% true. Gmail on Android is perfect. I was really hoping Google would just copy the exact Gmail design from Android and put it on this app. What a shame...

jclardy
Nov 2, 2011, 01:31 PM

Maybe Google packaged the distribution build wrong and Apple let it through so Google looks bad :D

SkippyThorson
Nov 2, 2011, 01:33 PM
In addition to the push not working, and in addition to the fact that there are no multiple user accounts within the app, I would also like to note that the icon is quite ugly, in that shade of dramatic blue. Why wouldn't it be some sort of off-white or a cream color behind the envelope?

Nitpicky, I know, but that was the first thing I noticed. If the app is ugly before I even open it, I wouldn't have much faith in the actual product. In this case, I'd be right.

bushido
Nov 2, 2011, 01:35 PM
lol they cant even get a simple mail app working and expect us to believe they came up with android all by themself? hahaha

Hazel
Nov 2, 2011, 01:41 PM
In addition to the push not working, and in addition to the fact that there are no multiple user accounts within the app, I would also like to note that the icon is quite ugly, in that shade of dramatic blue. Why wouldn't it be some sort of off-white or a cream color behind the envelope?

Nitpicky, I know, but that was the first thing I noticed. If the app is ugly before I even open it, I wouldn't have much faith in the actual product. In this case, I'd be right.

the actual app icon is a dark charcoal colour behind the envelope.

Tinmania
Nov 2, 2011, 01:44 PM

Just me venting I guess
It's OK for you to complain about other people's opinion posts, for which you paid nothing, but it is not OK for them to complain about an app that, while free, is little more than a wrapper for a web app (except the web app works better)?

Michael

daxomni
Nov 2, 2011, 01:44 PM
I never had any serious problems with the native mail client on Android. Nor have I had any serious problems with the native mail client on iOS. This appears to be a bungled release that has been pulled by Google to be fixed before releasing again. I'm not sure why the whole thread is going wild over a seemingly minor (although certainly unflattering) event and trying to tar and feather the entire Android family of systems based on a single iOS application release. Reminds me a little of the bungled Mobile Me rollout, but since I wasn't interested in the service I simply left the topic alone. Meanwhile, people who apparently have no interest in Android can't seem to stop themselves from making as much guilt-by-association hay as possible out of this.

nburwell
Nov 2, 2011, 01:57 PM
No thanks. The mail app is good enough for me.

bpaluzzi
Nov 2, 2011, 01:58 PM

you can do that via the mail app too once you set up your google account with it. Honestly I delete and archive each day using the mail app. you just drag it to your All Mail folder or other designated archived folder.

You can either do push notifications (with Exchange / Active Sync) OR proper "delete" (using native / IMAP Gmail). If you use Exchange, deleted messages actually get archived into "All Mail". Then you need to delete a second time to get rid of the message. Most annoying is that you end up having a bunch of "unread" messages in your All Mail box.

One other HUGE thing you can't do at all in the native Mail.app:
many-to-many labels. currently, the "labels" are treated as folders -- you put a message in one folder. that's not how GMail works. you can have many labels in gmail.

Most people use multiple accounts, though, and managing two separate email apps is just not good enough. (Except for Android users, I guess :p )

I would venture to say that the far majority of people DON'T use multiple accounts. A few of us geeks do, but most people don't.

This could have been a great, useful app - but it looks like Google has pooped the bed on it. Not even counting the release bug -- that will get worked out. That bug notwithstanding, there are huge problems with this app:
- no multiple accounts
- no iOS5 notifications (seriously? how can you mess that up?)

gatearray
Nov 2, 2011, 01:58 PM
Actually I think the cause of this error is from the submission process. Still Google's fault, but not really something they can test. A little surprising that Apple would push the app through with the error. Google probably gets to bypass the approval process.[COLOR="#808080"]

Yes, this Gmail app is a pile of garbage because it's an "error of the submission process" and indeed, it's "a little surprising that Apple would push the app through with the error" even though, as you say, "the error" is nothing the app's developer "can test" themselves, but Apple certainly should have.

/sarcasm

Eric0531
Nov 2, 2011, 02:02 PM

And when you are in a message and click on the trash can icon, the mail goes to where? (Hint: it's not the trash). That one single annoyance is enough for me to want a native GMail app.

djepsilon
Nov 2, 2011, 02:24 PM
Google released something without it fully being ready? I'm SHOCKED!! :rolleyes:

fraggot
Nov 2, 2011, 02:25 PM

To a point I agree but on another note I do not. I don't want every application on my phone to operate and feel exactly the same. Granted, I know there are only so many ways you can say pull down a menu, or pull down to refresh. But I just don't want everything ending up the same, it makes the user experience boring.

I would rather someone take it, but make it their own in some form or fashion.

doboy
Nov 2, 2011, 02:25 PM
Gmail on Android is perfect.

Far from it. It doesn't even allow zooming.

Zimmy68
Nov 2, 2011, 02:32 PM
Again, how did this get through Apple's supposed strict approval process???

Unless it was only to embarrass Google.

solgae
Nov 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
And when you are in a message and click on the trash can icon, the mail goes to where? (Hint: it's not the trash). That one single annoyance is enough for me to want a native GMail app.

You could work around that behavior by deleting the message when you are in [Gmail] -> All Mail folder instead of deleting the message when you are in Inbox.

zorinlynx
Nov 2, 2011, 02:36 PM
lol they cant even get a simple mail app working and expect us to believe they came up with android all by themself? hahaha

I don't think they're trying very hard. iOS is a competing platform, after all. Look at the Google Voice app, it's a crashy, unreliable piece of turd. It was so bad that I removed it, and went back to just using Google Voice features using voice and SMS.

----------

It gets archived. I believe the original point of gmail was that you never have to delete anything; it just gets archived away.

You can always go into your archive and purge it if you want.

xFenixKnightx
Nov 2, 2011, 02:36 PM

You need to go into settings and turn off the archive button. It will then be replaced by a trash icon in the mail app. #BOOM :cool: :apple:

KakaduDreamer
Nov 2, 2011, 02:39 PM
You need to go into settings and turn off the archive button. It will then be replaced by a trash icon in the mail app. #BOOM :cool: :apple:

Interesting. But what Settings, where? Specifics please...

Lightey
Nov 2, 2011, 02:40 PM
Just because Google is Apple's competitor and they made a mistake doesn't mean you have to be so doubtful of them. This app looks great to me, and I'm going to use it. You people are all whiny little Apple fanboys. Take a minute to look at the bigger picture and get your head out of your Apple world. The Mail app is not sent by God and there can be alternatives to it.

kenypowa
Nov 2, 2011, 02:41 PM
Google released something without it fully being ready? I'm SHOCKED!! :rolleyes:

Yap, only Apple have perfect product launches. Remember the day iPhone 3G was released? Oh man that was brutal.

curtisinoc
Nov 2, 2011, 02:41 PM

settings on the iPhone or on gmail (web)?

wikus
Nov 2, 2011, 02:45 PM
rofl it doesn't even work. Not that I was going to but this just sets it in stone more that I would never buy a Google Android phone XD if they can't make a simple app for an iPhone god knows what would happen to their mobile OS

Could you please explain to everyone in this thread what the difference is between Android and Gmail?

andybrown44
Nov 2, 2011, 02:45 PM

You can if you use the "Gmail" settings, but that means you have no push notifications.

avanpelt
Nov 2, 2011, 02:47 PM

Does anyone know if the native Gmail app supports/will support sending from multiple from addresses and replying automatically from the address that an e-mail was sent to? I have several e-mail addresses linked to my Gmail account and would love to have these features in a native Gmail app.

andybrown44
Nov 2, 2011, 02:48 PM
Just because Google is Apple's competitor and they made a mistake doesn't mean you have to be so doubtful of them. This app looks great to me, and I'm going to use it. You people are all whiny little Apple fanboys. Take a minute to look at the bigger picture and get your head out of your Apple world. The Mail app is not sent by God and there can be alternatives to it.

The Mail app annoys me in various ways and once push is working for this I expect I will be using it a lot more than Mail.

curtisinoc
Nov 2, 2011, 02:48 PM
You can if you use the "Gmail" settings, but that means you have no push notifications.

I think you're correct . . different settings and options depending on how gmail is configured with ios mail app (gmail settings vs exchange settings)

andybrown44
Nov 2, 2011, 02:51 PM
I think you're correct . . different settings and options depending on how gmail is configured with ios mail app (gmail settings vs exchange settings)

Yep, and exchange settings means all deleted mail being archived. Which is why I'm looking forward to this Gmail app.

Eric0531
Nov 2, 2011, 02:52 PM
It gets archived. I believe the original point of gmail was that you never have to delete anything; it just gets archived away.

You can always go into your archive and purge it if you want.

But I don't want to have to go to the All Mail folder to delete it ;-)

In GMail's mobile web interface via Safari, if you hit the trash can icon while you are in the message, it moves the message to the trash. That's all I'm looking for.

Tinmania
Nov 2, 2011, 02:58 PM
settings on the iPhone or on gmail (web)?
Forget... some people are mixing and matching exchange and IMAP as if they are the same.

That setting is ONLY if you use IMAP with Gmail--which means no push notifications.

I used to have Gmail setup with both IMAP and exchange. Exchange was essentially just to get push notifications. But most sending, and housecleaning, was done in the one setup for IMAP (same account). But I finally got tired of that and now just have it setup for exchange and if I need to do something not available that way, I use mobile safari. I used to use Safari more often till Google improved searching in the iPS Mail app.

Michael

eye4ni
Nov 2, 2011, 02:58 PM
It's OK for you to complain about other people's opinion posts, for which you paid nothing, but it is not OK for them to complain about an app that, while free, is little more than a wrapper for a web app (except the web app works better)?

Michael

HAHA, I get it, I'm complaining about people who complain, sue me. Now quit complaining about it.

curtisinoc
Nov 2, 2011, 03:01 PM
Forget... some people are mixing and matching exchange and IMAP as if they are the same.

That setting is ONLY if you use IMAP with Gmail--which means no push notifications.

Michael

YUP . . I have mine set up as Exchange. I need push notifications

nefan65
Nov 2, 2011, 03:02 PM
+1

Why did someone downvote this? The statement is 100% true. Gmail on Android is perfect. I was really hoping Google would just copy the exact Gmail design from Android and put it on this app. What a shame...

Then you, and BoxerGT2.5 are the only 2. EVERYONE I've chatted with, that owns an Android device, states that the native mail app for GMail is garbage.

Tinmania
Nov 2, 2011, 03:04 PM
HAHA, I get it, I'm complaining about people who complain, sue me. Now quit complaining about it.
Not until you quit complaining about me complaining about you complaining about other people complaining. Beat THAT!

Michael

hakr100
Nov 2, 2011, 03:07 PM

Testing? You're kidding, right?

godrifle
Nov 2, 2011, 03:07 PM
Luckily they have a kick-ass icon.

parapup
Nov 2, 2011, 03:12 PM
Whatever "curation" Apple does - it doesn't seem to include actually running and using the app once.

Tinmania
Nov 2, 2011, 03:16 PM

Does anyone know if the native Gmail app supports/will support sending from multiple from addresses and replying automatically from the address that an e-mail was sent to? I have several e-mail addresses linked to my Gmail account and would love to have these features in a native Gmail app.
Nope, not even a hint of an option to do that. That was the main reason I tried this. An app that is a wrapper for the web yet cannot even do what you can do in a web browser is rather disappointing.

And Google's answer for iOS Mail to do that is not much better: you can have iOS Mail use a different address for replies but it has to be your default send-as address as setup in gmail (using a browser to set it up).

I don't know why gmail via exchange (or IMAP for that matter) can't follow your request to "Reply from the same address the message was sent to." If that worked in iOS Mail it would be "good enough" for me. (Best would be being able to choose before sending any email message.)

Michael

blackcrayon
Nov 2, 2011, 03:16 PM
Whatever "curation" Apple does - it doesn't seem to include actually running and using the app once.

Why do you think that (it's not true, anyway). The app runs, and it doesn't crash (at least not pervasively). It has a problem connecting to the push notification service, but that might not be enough to reject an app outright.

MightyMac007
Nov 2, 2011, 03:19 PM
Again, how did this get through Apple's supposed strict approval process???

Unless it was only to embarrass Google.

Actually Google has already taken the blame for the issue and I'm sure they will fix it. I assure you neither company would take blame for something unless they were actually to blame.

eye4ni
Nov 2, 2011, 03:50 PM
Not until you quit complaining about me complaining about you complaining about other people complaining. Beat THAT!

Michael

You got me. lol

avanpelt
Nov 2, 2011, 04:12 PM
Nope, not even a hint of an option to do that. That was the main reason I tried this. An app that is a wrapper for the web yet cannot even do what you can do in a web browser is rather disappointing.

And Google's answer for iOS Mail to do that is not much better: you can have iOS Mail use a different address for replies but it has to be your default send-as address as setup in gmail (using a browser to set it up).

I don't know why gmail via exchange (or IMAP for that matter) can't follow your request to "Reply from the same address the message was sent to." If that worked in iOS Mail it would be "good enough" for me. (Best would be being able to choose before sending any email message.)

Michael

Thanks for the heads up. Color me disappointed! All I really want from Gmail on iOS is the ability to select a pre-populated list of from addresses that I've already configured via Gmail's website and have the interface be smart enough to give me the option to either a.) send all mail (regardless of which address it was sent to) as my default from address OR b.) send mail from the address that it was sent to.

This is as easy to configure as a radio button in the full blown Gmail website. I don't know why that same experience can't translate to mobile platforms other than Android. The Gmail app for Android respects the preferences you've set in the preferences on Gmail's website, so the iOS app should be able to do the same.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep dreaming. Hopefully, Google will keep developing the Gmail app for iOS; but if this first attempt is any indication of their enthusiasm for the platform, it doesn't look promising.

cshsia
Nov 2, 2011, 04:22 PM
Just shows how people don't test their code enough, even people with resources of Google. People simply don't like to check their own work, you gotta get outside users to look at it.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 04:30 PM
Just shows how people don't test their code enough, even people with resources of Google. People simply don't like to check their own work, you gotta get outside users to look at it.

The notification bug can easily be something that went wrong when switching from development push servers to production push servers and you wouldn't see the bug until it is in the App Store.

Same thing happened to one of my apps, was working fine in development (push notifications) and then once in the App Store it stopped.

P.S. Not really on topic but, 5 more posts and I can get an avatar!

whsbuss
Nov 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
All the complaints about Gmail via exchange archiving and not deleting. Do what I do..... create a folder/label on Gmail named "IOS Trash". Instead of hitting the trash icon, do a move to IOS Trash. Then at your leisure just clear out that folder. Simple!

Rodimus Prime
Nov 2, 2011, 04:35 PM
Looks like it got pulled. I'm getting the message, "This item is temporarily unavailable." Hopefully, Google is uploading a fix.

This is where the Apple App store approval process sucks. On Android a bug like this would be fix with in one day with a quick update. On Apple the update takes 1-2 weeks to get threw the "Approval process"

Testing is very limited when you can only run it on so many devices with out going threw the App store a lot of bugs just can not be caught

Far from it. It doesn't even allow zooming.

+1

Answer you question it is simple. It does not bash android and pointing out than a Android basher was wrong.

It speaks volumes on why Apple fans are though so little of because they can not accept the fact that something else works and people do like things that do not have a shinny Apple logo on it.

ghsNick
Nov 2, 2011, 04:36 PM
I just use exchange on my iPhone and it works fine.

cvaldes
Nov 2, 2011, 04:37 PM
Oh well, I guess I'll keep dreaming. Hopefully, Google will keep developing the Gmail app for iOS; but if this first attempt is any indication of their enthusiasm for the platform, it doesn't look promising.
Google's enthusiasm for the iOS platform is decidedly mixed.

I've tried most of Google's iOS apps and they typically debut in a condition that might be described as half-baked. A lot of them don't seem to progress much farther; the ones that do usually go many months before there's any improvement.

The Google Search and Google Earth apps seem to be actively maintained. They also just published an update to the Google+ app. The Google Voice app is usable although sadly it does not work as a dialer for non-iPhone devices.

That said, Gmail is the popular free Google service (beyond Search), so one can be hopefully that they will put more than a modicum of effort into maintaining and improving this iOS app.

Tinmania
Nov 2, 2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Color me disappointed! All I really want from Gmail on iOS is the ability to select a pre-populated list of from addresses that I've already configured via Gmail's website and have the interface be smart enough to give me the option to either a.) send all mail (regardless of which address it was sent to) as my default from address OR b.) send mail from the address that it was sent to.

This is as easy to configure as a radio button in the full blown Gmail website. I don't know why that same experience can't translate to mobile platforms other than Android. The Gmail app for Android respects the preferences you've set in the preferences on Gmail's website, so the iOS app should be able to do the same.

Don't discount using gmail in mobile safari. Heck, the app this thread is about would have been OK if it was exactly how gmail works in mobile safari, but with push notifications.

I could have sworn the last time I tried the mobile version of Gmail it didn't allow "reply as" and I had to switch to desktop version to do that--not fun in mobile safari.

But I just tried it now and it worked great--it even recognizes "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" setting.

I'm almost thinking of using it and just using gmail exchange for push notifications (just the sound).

Michael

BaldiMac
Nov 2, 2011, 04:39 PM
This is where the Apple App store approval process sucks. On Android a bug like this would be fix with in one day with a quick update. On Apple the update takes 1-2 weeks to get threw the "Approval process"

That's not true. Regular updates are approved within 5 days or so these days. Critical bug fixes can be released the next day.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 04:46 PM

I guess you don't know much about the App Store approval process, if an update is flagged as a critical update (like this one should) it can be approved within a couple of hours, not weeks. Even normal updates are usually 3-5 days.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 2, 2011, 04:53 PM
That's not true. Regular updates are approved within 5 days or so these days. Critical bug fixes can be released the next day.

still a fairly long time span to get threw. Compare that to android where they could get 3-4 updates out in a day to try to fix a bug. It would have much quicker turn around time. Even at 1 day update that means it is a least one day between updates to track down a bug. That would mean say 2-3 days to solve a problem that could of been solved on Android in a single day.

A good example of these quick updates being helpful was on an App call BeWeather for Android where they were having trouble tracking down a bug with the widget freezing. They had a show time span that the updates were being released at around 2 per day while they solved it. Yes they solved it but it took them a little time. It was a rather hard one to track down as it was not really repeatable, and pretty much complete random so it is pretty easy how it made it out of testing. Large sample sizing made it a heck of a lot easier to track down.

avanpelt
Nov 2, 2011, 04:56 PM
Don't discount using gmail in mobile safari. Heck, the app this thread is about would have been OK if it was exactly how gmail works in mobile safari, but with push notifications.

I could have sworn the last time I tried the mobile version of Gmail it didn't allow "reply as" and I had to switch to desktop version to do that--not fun in mobile safari.

But I just tried it now and it worked great--it even recognizes "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" setting.

I'm almost thinking of using it and just using gmail exchange for push notifications (just the sound).

Michael

Very, very interesting! Thanks for giving me the idea to also try it in Safari again. The ONLY thing I can see that it's still missing in Safari is the ability to select a From address when composing a new message; but, as you said, it appears that it is at least now respecting the "send mail from the address it was sent to" preference. Awesome find!

I think I am now going to move the Mail icon off my dock and replace it with a link to Gmail via Safari. I'll leave the Exchange portion activated, though, just for the notifications, as you suggested. I'll try this for a few days and see how it works for me and I'll also give the Gmail app a try once it's fixed and re-released. Thanks for your advice!

doboy
Nov 2, 2011, 04:58 PM
Answer you question it is simple. It does not bash android and pointing out than a Android basher was wrong.

It speaks volumes on why Apple fans are though so little of because they can not accept the fact that something else works and people do like things that do not have a shinny Apple logo on it.

huh? It's also "through" not "threw." Unless you want to throw something at it.

BaldiMac
Nov 2, 2011, 05:01 PM
still a fairly long time span to get threw. Compare that to android where they could get 3-4 updates out in a day to try to fix a bug. It would have much quicker turn around time. Even at 1 day update that means it is a least one day between updates to track down a bug. That would mean say 2-3 days to solve a problem that could of been solved on Android in a single day.

A good example of these quick updates being helpful was on an App call BeWeather for Android where they were having trouble tracking down a bug with the widget freezing. They had a show time span that the updates were being released at around 2 per day while they solved it. Yes they solved it but it took them a little time. It was a rather hard one to track down as it was not really repeatable, and pretty much complete random so it is pretty easy how it made it out of testing. Large sample sizing made it a heck of a lot easier to track down.

You are really stretching. Why would what you describe on Android be acceptable? This doesn't happen with any software that I have ever used. That's what beta testers are for.

Tinmania
Nov 2, 2011, 05:10 PM
still a fairly long time span to get threw. Compare that to android where they could get 3-4 updates out in a day to try to fix a bug.

That right there is funny stuff! You practically made the case for Apple. Bravo! :)

Rodimus Prime
Nov 2, 2011, 05:13 PM
You are really stretching. Why would what you describe on Android be acceptable? This doesn't happen with any software that I have ever used. That's what beta testers are for.

I point out quick updates help. Reason being is Beta tester did not catch the bug. It was effecting a very limited number of phones out there. They had around 100 people in the closed beta and then they put an open beta on the market.

But in take Apple's system. If you can get say 50 beta testers that would be doing really well but lets face it you can not get that many people in a beta test.
The bug I was talking about would easily make it past a small group of beta tester. It was when it hit the open. That or you release an update and has a bug you missed. Turn around and pop a quick new update (1-2 hours) to fix it. Compare to 1 day on Apple.

But iOS beta testers you get what 5-6? Talk about a huge group. Closed betas on Android have higher counts.

That right there is funny stuff! You practically made the case for Apple. Bravo! :)

How does that make a case. If something is going to take 2-3 updates to complete fix it no matter how you cut it how does that make the case for Apple. The sample size of internal testing is not large enough to get some small bugs. Put it out in the open and you have 1,000 of people so tracking it down. Apple 2-3 updates is a min of 2 extra days on the cycle.

Wondersnite
Nov 2, 2011, 05:17 PM
Are people actually serious?

Apple releases an iOS update that drains battery life so badly your new $200 + contract iPhone 4S won't even last for a whole day, and it's all fine. But if Google submits a (free) app for a platform that's not even theirs and notifications don't work, everyone's starts bashing them and complaining about user experience.

Am I the only one to think some people here are just plain idiots?

BaldiMac
Nov 2, 2011, 05:21 PM
I point out quick updates help. Reason being is Beta tester did not catch the bug. It was effecting a very limited number of phones out there. They had around 100 people in the closed beta and then they put an open beta on the market.

But in take Apple's system. If you can get say 50 beta testers that would be doing really well but lets face it you can not get that many people in a beta test.
The bug I was talking about would easily make it past a small group of beta tester. It was when it hit the open. That or you release an update and has a bug you missed. Turn around and pop a quick new update (1-2 hours) to fix it. Compare to 1 day on Apple.

But iOS beta testers you get what 5-6? Talk about a huge group. Closed betas on Android have higher counts.

Again, no respectable developers do this. You are arguing that it is more convenient on Android to use end users as beta testers. That is not acceptable. When has a developer of a desktop app ever released multiple versions to end users multiple days in a row to track down a bug?

Spending a couple hours looking into a problem and saying "Screw it. Let's see if this works." is not how good developers work.

marcusj0015
Nov 2, 2011, 05:26 PM
Google+ isn't buggy at all. idk where everyones getting this "Google makes ****** apps" idea from, but G+ is REALLY good, especially compared to Facebook...

Deedlez
Nov 2, 2011, 05:34 PM
I blinked and missed it!

Interesting that Google is continuing with native iOS apps even while pushing Android. Guess they're just trying to cover all the bases. You can bet Apple wouldn't dream of doing the same - releasing any of their own apps on Android.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 2, 2011, 05:36 PM
Again, no respectable developers do this. You are arguing that it is more convenient on Android to use end users as beta testers. That is not acceptable. When has a developer of a desktop app ever released multiple versions to end users multiple days in a row to track down a bug?

Spending a couple hours looking into a problem and saying "Screw it. Let's see if this works." is not how good developers work.

in mass betas (aka release a beta to the app store) is just another way to speed up things in open beta.

As for desktop app I have seen a few in the beta line hell I know of even some big name games that had multiple updates in a single day. I believe there was a few for TF2 that have some out. Is Valve not a respectable developer?

Some bugs you be missed in and near impossible to fine with a small group of beta testers. Big time for bugs that have happen at random and are not repeatable.

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 05:37 PM
Turn around and pop a quick new update (1-2 hours) to fix it. Compare to 1 day on Apple.

If the developer requests it, an update can be pushed out within a couple of hours, not 1 day. Just look at Google+, it received an update 2 hours after it launched (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/19/google-debuts-in-app-store/) in the app store.

Wait what? Who's fault is that? Apple allows up to 100 devices on 1 account, with 2 accounts that is 200 testers, where do you get 5-6?

BaldiMac
Nov 2, 2011, 05:39 PM
I blinked and missed it!

Interesting that Google is continuing with native iOS apps even while pushing Android. Guess they're just trying to cover all the bases. You can bet Apple wouldn't dream of doing the same - releasing any of their own apps on Android.

The iPhone is still a critical platform for Google. My bet is that they have made more off the iPhone than Android when you consider the costs involved. Apple has very little to gain by releasing an Android app.

shurcooL
Nov 2, 2011, 05:41 PM

It's a native Gmail (as opposed to Mail) app, so you get control over Gmail-specific features not present in generic Mail services. For example, applying labels, including multiple labels (rather than a single folder), archiving/deleting, marking as important/not important, applying stars, Gmail-like conversation view (that shows both incoming and outgoing messages in a single thread).

BaldiMac
Nov 2, 2011, 05:43 PM
in mass betas (aka release a beta to the app store) is just another way to speed up things in open beta.

As for desktop app I have seen a few in the beta line hell I know of even some big name games that had multiple updates in a single day. I believe there was a few for TF2 that have some out. Is Valve not a respectable developer?

Some bugs you be missed in and near impossible to fine with a small group of beta testers. Big time for bugs that have happen at random and are not repeatable.

You are using a fringe case that would be helpful to bad developers to justify the argument that you made in your original post that was based on incorrect information.

If the developer requests it, an update can be pushed out within a couple of hours, not 1 day. Just look at Google+, it received an update 2 hours after it launched (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/19/google-debuts-in-app-store/) in the app store.

And that clears that up.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 2, 2011, 05:51 PM

Does that apply to everyone or just big name guys like Google?

Tinmania
Nov 2, 2011, 05:53 PM
How does that make a case. If something is going to take 2-3 updates to complete fix it no matter how you cut it how does that make the case for Apple.
The fact that you can even have 3-4 updates rolled out to end users in a single day is mayhem. I can't believe I just had to explain that.

Michael

crisss1205
Nov 2, 2011, 05:59 PM

All developers can request a immediate bug fix, I was able to get a critical update approved in about 4 hours.

ugp
Nov 2, 2011, 06:41 PM
I personally like the Mail.app better than this. I use several mail accounts and having them all in one place is a lot easier for me.

If the interface was a lot cleaner maybe I would use it.

revelated
Nov 2, 2011, 08:33 PM

Fanboys, all.

I just want to point out that the Android version of this app works without a hitch. You think maybe...JUST MAYBE...the Google developers either don't like or don't care to write apps the way Apple wants them written? Or maybe, as Apple is inclined to also do, they're sabotaging the situation by half-assing the development effort (see iTunes on Windows, VLC for Mac, Office for Mac, Safari for Windows, Parallels for Windows)?

Just sayin.

cvaldes
Nov 2, 2011, 09:02 PM
Oddly, iOS device users have the highest customer satisfaction ratings in every single relevant survey, regardless whether it be smartphone, media player, or tablet categories.

Just sayin'.

Bernard SG
Nov 2, 2011, 09:33 PM
Actually I think the cause of this error is from the submission process. Still Google's fault, but not really something they can test. A little surprising that Apple would push the app through with the error. Google probably gets to bypass the approval process.

I have two theories: either Apple's iOS AppStore vetting team assumed wrongly that a big name such as Google wouldn't release such a piece of garbage and didn't do their homework properly; or they deliberately let it slip to showcase Google's ineptitude.

Are people actually serious?

Apple releases an iOS update that drains battery life so badly your new $200 + contract iPhone 4S won't even last for a whole day, and it's all fine. But if Google submits a (free) app for a platform that's not even theirs and notifications don't work, everyone's starts bashing them and complaining about user experience.

Am I the only one to think some people here are just plain idiots?

You really can't compare something as trivial as a native mail client to the awful complexity surrounding a release like iOS5 with all the new stuff it implements (Siri, iCloud, Notification center, WiFi sync and so on...)

Moreover the battery issue, while serious and spread on a significant chunk of users, seems not to affect a majority nor does it make the devices absolutely unusable, notwithstanding the inconvenience of the issue. On the other hand that Gmail app appears to be pretty much useless.

It's already looking bad enough that it took Google over 3 years to release the app for a service (Gmail) that's central to their offer; but that the end-result is THIS disaster is just pathetic.

Bernard SG
Nov 2, 2011, 09:48 PM
You think maybe...JUST MAYBE...the Google developers either don't like or don't care to write apps the way Apple wants them written?

Yeah, maybe, but then they should just NOT write the apps at all instead of tarnishing the company image like that.

Or maybe, as Apple is inclined to also do, they're sabotaging the situation by half-assing the development effort (see iTunes on Windows, VLC for Mac, Office for Mac, Safari for Windows, Parallels for Windows)?

Just sayin.

iTunes on Windows WORKS and does exactly everything it's supposed to do. Safari on Windows can be a pain with its memory leaks, but it's the only browser I can stand in terms of rendering on Windows XP (IE's rendering is okay, but IE is IE; apparently Microsoft is sabotaging itself by half-assing the development effort on its own platform :p).

vant
Nov 2, 2011, 10:22 PM
Fanboys, all.

Just sayin.

Yup. You got me. I guess I should stop using Google Search, Voice, Maps, Mail, Chrome, YouTube, and Calendars.

The Phazer
Nov 3, 2011, 05:34 AM
iTunes on Windows WORKS and does exactly everything it's supposed to do.

It really doesn't.

Phazer

The Phazer
Nov 3, 2011, 06:00 AM
The app is still worth having over web interface just for push notifications and being able to upload photographs (arrghh Mobile Safari you stupid thing).

I like having seperate accounts in different clients to avoid mixups, which is one of the reasons I was interested in this app in the first place. But Google is terrible at grasping that people have multiple accounts that they need to transition between (actually, none of the big tech companies really seem to get this...), or that families use the same device.

That said, push being completely broken at startup is pretty unforgivable.

Phazer

blackcrayon
Nov 3, 2011, 07:30 AM

I don't know, I'm probably as "small name" as a developer can get. I updated 3 apps a few weeks ago that fixed some bugs with iOS 5 compatibility. All three were approved (admittedly to my surprise) within 24 hours.

Tiger8
Nov 3, 2011, 07:38 AM

Thank you! I love the fact that I can check my gmail, personal mail, and work mail in ONE SPOT.

revelated
Nov 3, 2011, 08:42 AM
Yup. You got me. I guess I should stop using Google Search, Voice, Maps, Mail, Chrome, YouTube, and Calendars.

Apparently you don't understand what it means to be called out. Let me help you...just this once.

You said:

Now, There are numerous issues I have with this quote.

You make it seem like Apple is flawless thus you trust their operating system, yet we hear about bugs nearly daily from them. Especially this apparent deal-breaking one with the battery getting eaten almost as fast as the HTC Thunderbolt.
You act as though your app experience (Which is on iOS) is going to be the same experience as it is on Android. Which of course is illogical given the half-assing scenarios I already gave.
You make it sound as though minor interface jangles with an app that is essentially not a requirement (given the web functions just about the same and you could just use that) that somehow there is a similar problem with Android. Of course, that's having never used it, to understand that Android as an OS is perfectly fine. Ask Samsung if that's the reason they're in the lead.
You complain about Google Voice. I happen to use that app on Android and guess what - works perfectly fine.

In summary, instead of bashing Android without ever having used it, how about you back up and try something different? Because I'll tell you...for heavy Google application users, it makes NO logical sense not to have an Android phone. Google apps of course will work better on a Google operating system. Just like Microsoft apps work better on a Microsoft operating system. Just like Apple apps work better on an Apple operating system. Buy the OS that has the apps you use the most! It's not rocket science.

If you want your me.com email and your iTunes music and your iBooks books and your delayed iTunes Match and all that, and you just live in a circle of Apple, then an iPhone makes sense. Anyone who buys an iPhone yet lives in a Google world is a fanboy who bought into a device that they can't maximize their use of. You bought it because it's an iPhone. You bought it because of the Apple logo. Or perhaps you just bought it because someone told you to or you saw everyone else with one and figured you'd ride along.

I've owned an iPhone...and once I realized how limited the Google experience is on that phone compared to Android, I dropped it like it was hot. I depend on Google's apps far more than I need a glass phone.

kas23
Nov 3, 2011, 10:55 AM
A native Gmail app would have a privacy advantage. For some odd reason, Apple refuses to implement the choice of password protecting their email app. Someone you allow to look at your photos or look something up on Safari can just as easily go through your email.

I'm not sure yet, but I assume a native Gmail app would allow it to be password protected.

Bernard SG
Nov 3, 2011, 11:23 AM
It really doesn't.

Phazer

It. Does.

Consultant
Nov 3, 2011, 12:47 PM
A native Gmail app would have a privacy advantage. For some odd reason, Apple refuses to implement the choice of password protecting their email app. Someone you allow to look at your photos or look something up on Safari can just as easily go through your email.

I'm not sure yet, but I assume a native Gmail app would allow it to be password protected.

Anyone who access your RAZR can prank call using your phone number.

That must be an Apple problem to "refuse to implement" choice. :rolleyes:

EJ257
Nov 3, 2011, 12:53 PM
Anyone using this app have their Gmail account set up with the 2-step authentication process? How does the app handle that? Did you have to create a one time password for it in on your Google account like you do when using the standard iOS mail app? Does it let you use the 2-step authentication process in their app (this is really what I'm looking for). Maybe auto import the rotating key from the Google token app (wishful thinking here)?

bretm
Nov 3, 2011, 01:47 PM
Looks cool. Hope they make a version for Android.

HoopTrundler
Nov 4, 2011, 07:53 PM
Looks cool. Hope they make a version for Android.

Um... You mean like the GMail app built into Android? You know, since Android is made by Google?

unlinked
Nov 5, 2011, 01:35 PM
Um... You mean like the GMail app built into Android? You know, since Android is made by Google?

i suspect he already knows that.

ct2k7
Nov 6, 2011, 03:30 PM

Correction,

It is developed by the Open Handset Alliance led by Google.

exbibyte
Nov 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Really hope that they push out the updated version of the Gmail app. looks pretty cool.

John.B
Nov 8, 2011, 10:22 AM
Correction,

It is developed by the Open Handset Alliance led by Google.

Google has complete control of Android. They dictate what goes into it, which handset builders get it and when.

Saying Android "is developed by the Open Handset Alliance led by Google" is like saying the political ads from organizations such as "Americans for an American America"* are independent grassroots organizations.

* Totally made up name.

robertsduney
Nov 10, 2011, 11:22 AM
I can't believe how long they're taking to fix the problems that showed up when it was first released. Really?
It's been over a week.

hitekalex
Jun 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
Nice update to Google Gmail app today.. Finally proper iOS Notification Center support with banners.

Still not a fun of a webified UI, but it's getting closer to a full functional Gmail app on iOS.