PDA

View Full Version : The Official "What Is Going To Be Released At WWDC" Thread

Macmaniac
May 15, 2005, 09:04 PM
Its that time again, let the official predictions for the Stevenote begin.
Try to be as accurate as possible so someone can be the prediction winner.

James Philp
May 15, 2005, 09:10 PM
Oh NO! I've only just gotten over Tiger release/buildup!

puckhead193
May 15, 2005, 09:18 PM
i'll be the first, powerbook G5!!!! :p ;)

Phat_Pat
May 15, 2005, 09:20 PM
i'll be the first, powerbook G5!!!! :p ;)
And a free sample of the cream that makes the 3rd degree burns go away!

katie ta achoo
May 15, 2005, 09:21 PM
New Airport Express base station.
with video-out?

(mm... watching crap from my powerbook on the TV. Torrents of seinfeld episodes, here I come!)

Phat_Pat
May 15, 2005, 09:23 PM
Defintally an explination why there are no G5 laptops.... or are there ;)

edit: and a new iSight with HD capabilities. ;)

katie ta achoo
May 15, 2005, 09:25 PM

no, you've got it all wrong!
They give you the computer for free, and then sell you the burn cream for $100 an ounce.
Marketing genius!

/stupid

:D

oriol
May 15, 2005, 09:35 PM
new 10.5 OS X , new ibooks with the same specs as the today's powerbooks, powerbook G5, let me think wut im forgetting? oh a mac mini G5. :rolleyes:

chameeeleon
May 15, 2005, 09:54 PM
Yeah, WWDC this year really is a big fat question mark. The G5s were just updated (kind of), the displays just had a price drop, and Tiger JUST came out. What can they talk about? Unless... No. But maybe.... No. G5 Power.... Oh why even bother?
Yeah, so I'm actually curious as to what comes up for the hour Steve has to fill (is it an hour?). Will there be mention of X.5?
I'm also wondering if anything (new Airports) will come at All Things Digital next week. Hope so. When does that iTunes Airport promotion end?

EDIT: The promotion ends the 23rd. Just checked. And All Things Digital starts on the 22nd? Hmmm, coincidence? ATD IS where AE 1 was revealed, wasn't it?

barneygumble
May 15, 2005, 10:14 PM
Steve Jobs wobbling head doll, or are they already out???

rockandrule
May 15, 2005, 10:36 PM
Maybe a sedative for the PBG5 hopefuls? Possibly also one for those still complaining about the 3GHz deal. ;)

mad jew
May 15, 2005, 10:39 PM
I reckon they'll drop the standard 20GB iPod and have an all-photo range, renaming it back to the standard iPod though. Something with 80GB would be nice too.

Computer-wise, how about a PowerBook speed bump to just under 1.9GHz and standard 512MB of RAM across the entire Apple line up. There are far too many switchers who don't realise that 256MB is simply not enough. They're sitting there, thinking Macs are slow when in fact it's just a RAM issue. :(

Bibulous
May 15, 2005, 10:58 PM
Updated mac mini, 1.5 and 1.67 with 64vram card
Redesigned iBook (only widescreen 13 w/ color cases)
Updated HD 17" pbook
Airport Express with video support
iTunes 5.0 with video support and ACC+
Shuffles in multi colors

Apple + Sony + TiVo = One more thing

This fall is the time for redesigned pbooks, 80gb wireless video ipods, 10gb ipod minis and new multi-core pmacs over 3ghz.

Les Kern
May 15, 2005, 11:09 PM
iPod Maxi.
25% more absorbent.

ravenvii
May 15, 2005, 11:10 PM
I noticed they never introduced new iPods or consumer Macs at WWDC. It's not the place for them either. Expect updates related to technologies (AirPort), programs (OS and professional application related things, probably not brand new versions as they all were introduced recently) and the Power line (PowerBooks and PowerMacs) and possibly displays. And possibly completely new products. But no iPods, iMacs, or anything with an "i" before it in WWDC. Wait for MacWorld Paris for those :)

GeeYouEye
May 15, 2005, 11:12 PM
Likely: iBook update (or did they just update them... I don't keep track of iBook updates very well)
Possible: announcement of date (eg Q1 2006) for G5 PowerBook launch, preview of next-generation Xcode Tools, Mac mini update.
Unlikely: OS X 10.5 preview, actual G5 PB announcement, PowerMac update to 3.0 GHz or announcement of Dual-Core G5.

mad jew
May 15, 2005, 11:19 PM
I noticed they never introduced new iPods or consumer Macs at WWDC. It's not the place for them either. Expect updates related to technologies (AirPort), programs (OS and professional application related things, probably not brand new versions as they all were introduced recently) and the Power line (PowerBooks and PowerMacs) and possibly displays. And possibly completely new products. But no iPods, iMacs, or anything with an "i" before it in WWDC. Wait for MacWorld Paris for those :)

That's a pretty good point. I retract the iPod thing. However, I still reckon they might upgrade the standard RAM on anything around WWDC time. At least, I hope they do. Whether or not they actually announce it and make a song and dance about it at a developer's conference is another thing.

Cooknn
May 15, 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm going to buy in to the MOSR report that Apple will be launching a satellite Hi-Def content delivery system (http://www.macosrumors.com/20050320.php) :eek:

Rovias
May 15, 2005, 11:35 PM
My predictions:

- New Airport and/or Airport Express (possibly using MIMO or pre-802.11n technology?)
- Updated iBooks (faster processors, Superdrive option across the line, 512 MB RAM standard, OS X Tiger)
- Updated XServe G5s
- iTunes 5.0
- iSight HD
- Updated Apple displays (new low-end 17" and high-end 36" models)
- Unveiling of "Asteroid" breakout box
- New Pro app
- A surprise in the form of a new piece of hardware (Apple Tablet/Palmtop Computer)

It's a little preposterous to believe that ALL of these will be announced at WWDC, but I'm willing to bet at least 3 of them are.

aswitcher
May 15, 2005, 11:38 PM
Redesigned iBook (only widescreen 13 w/ color cases)
Updated HD 17" pbook
Airport Express with video support
Shuffles in multi colors

Apple + Sony + TiVo = One more thing

This fall is the time for redesigned pbooks, 80gb wireless video ipods, 10gb ipod minis and new multi-core pmacs over 3ghz.

Mmm...Mac Major - G5 Mac mini for developers ;)

New iBooks sometime soon...no suprises unless they go iPod mini colours...

I doubt a new PB until they either go G5 or HD...

AE Vid...how much I wonder...and will it work fine with my PB???

2 Gig iPod Shuffle?

17" Apple screen, and 20", now in HD! Tilt?

buryyourbrideau
May 15, 2005, 11:43 PM
i think they are going to release a special edition rubix cube to keep all those PB G5 maniacs busy for another year until they are released :p

progx
May 15, 2005, 11:54 PM
i've said it before, i'm gonna say it again:

Powerbook G5!

or else the powerbook is just a big rip off compared to its cheaper cousin the ibook. the only difference is faster processor (presently), more hard drive space, a better video card, firewire 800, mini dvi, pc card.

i mean apple doesn't even list the bus speed anymore on the powerbook. 167 mhz is not a good thing right now, especially with tiger on the prowl.

G5 is a must for the Powerbook line at this point or they should just can the entire line until they can put a G5 in one. what's the point?

puckhead193
May 16, 2005, 12:06 AM

A free sample, they better give that stuff away like water. Or they can sell it, apple already has gotten in the clothing business (ipod socks) why not the pharmaceutical. Apple's own cream for burns. "Exclusively designed for burns caused by the powerbook G5" :rolleyes:

Tamer Brad
May 16, 2005, 01:47 AM
Just ... an updated iBook. Please.

And why on Earth is black not an available iPod mini color? Isn't black ... popular?

mad jew
May 16, 2005, 02:00 AM

And why on Earth is black not an available iPod mini color? Isn't black ... popular?

I guess so that Apple could charge a premium for the U2 iPod. This could all change when the latter is dropped though.

Tamer Brad
May 16, 2005, 02:15 AM
I guess so that Apple could charge a premium for the U2 iPod. This could all change when the latter is dropped though.

And what about people that don't like U2? ~_~

homerjward
May 16, 2005, 02:17 AM

http://www.colorwarepc.com

mad jew
May 16, 2005, 02:18 AM
And what about people that don't like U2? ~_~

Yeah, I know. It's not cool, I'm just kind of speculating as to why there's no black mini. Apple needed some good reasons to get people to pay the premium over the standard iPod for the pretty limited benefits of the U2 version, and I think the colouring could have been one of them.

Tamer Brad
May 16, 2005, 03:03 AM
http://www.colorwarepc.com

Sweet Jesus those are sexy. Thanks for the link.

fraggle
May 16, 2005, 03:29 AM
or else the powerbook is just a big rip off compared to its cheaper cousin the ibook. the only difference is faster processor (presently), more hard drive space, a better video card, firewire 800, mini dvi, pc card.

Funny how you say "only difference" and then list six of them :)

And you even did not mention the only one that IMHO makes the PowerBook really better than an iBook: more pixels! (Of course not counting the 12" PB...)

MacSA
May 16, 2005, 03:54 AM
...........maybe a preview of a dualcore machine.

Jo-Kun
May 16, 2005, 04:04 AM
And you even did not mention the only one that IMHO makes the PowerBook really better than an iBook: more pixels! (Of course not counting the 12" PB...)

and better screens overall... just put an iBook next to a PowerBook have both screens on maximum brightness and dimm the lights: PowerBook has more & equal illumination all over the screen, iBook has more light in the centre of the screen, and is dimmer...

the colorreproduction on the PowerBooks is allso better (still there is a difference with using a high end display (crt or the real good tft's) but quite good...)

Mitch1984
May 16, 2005, 04:20 AM
A Quicktime video iPod I bet, it's only a matter of time before this is developed!!

redeye be
May 16, 2005, 05:38 AM
I call
Airport - rumored video out on express
Mouse - multi-button, or at least a 'scroll pad'

iGary
May 16, 2005, 06:03 AM
iPods - nah.

iBooks - nah.

PowerBooks - nah.

PowerMacs - Maybe a new top-end dual core.

mini - nah.

iMac - nah.

Whatever is introduced it will have someting to do with HD.

_pb_boi
May 16, 2005, 06:09 AM
I just *wish* that along with the 13in screen, iBooks would be given DVI out. I know it won't happen - would bring them even closer to Powerbooks - but how happy would I be if it did :rolleyes:

andy.

cheekyspanky
May 16, 2005, 06:38 AM
I think:

Updated Airport Express
Updated iSight
New 17" ACD
Maybe that iWork Excel rival..?
More Apple/Sony collaboration details announced.

New iBooks announced a week or two after WWDC along with updated iPods - iPod photo moniker dropped and replaces current iPod 20GB. New iPod video 40/60GB capable of H264 playback of music videos now available from iTunes - still with wired headphones.

Now lets wait and see how wrong I am! :p

swy32x
May 16, 2005, 06:52 AM
So, I've been thinking, this whole Sony/Apple thing ...

The PS3?!

Will they also release an iTMS video store?

gate
May 16, 2005, 06:57 AM
PowerMac G5 with dual-core processors running @ 2,5 GHz. 2 processors per machine. 4 X 2,5 GHz. But they won't be called PowerMac.

PCI xpress and DDR2 as well in those machines.

Ok ok ... I'm dreamin'.

mad jew
May 16, 2005, 06:58 AM
Just got back from a run and had a crazy thought. It's not major, but how about al-boards and al-mouse. It wouldn't take much, they just need to colour the current keyboard and mouse aluminium-style so they match the G5 towers. Come on Apple, it'd be all about style. :D

Platform
May 16, 2005, 07:06 AM

Very well said....I think you are very right...will proberly see new mini's and iBook's at Paris EXPO :rolleyes: ;)

aswitcher
May 16, 2005, 07:07 AM
Just got back from a run and had a crazy thought. It's not major, but how about al-boards and al-mouse. It wouldn't take much, they just need to colour the current keyboard and mouse aluminium-style so they match the G5 towers. Come on Apple, it'd be all about style. :D

Yeah a few of us have been wanting a Pro Mouse and Keyboard for a while now.

I would like the BT keyboard to have the same key sizes as my powerbook which I prefere to my Apple BT keyboard

And a 2 button mouse is one of the oldest debated items...maybe with a ipod like wheel on it if those patents are anything to go by

Platform
May 16, 2005, 07:07 AM
PowerMac G5 with dual-core processors running @ 2,5 GHz. 2 processors per machine. 4 X 2,5 GHz. But they won't be called PowerMac.

PCI xpress and DDR2 as well in those machines.

Ok ok ... I'm dreamin'.

Why brake the tradition of the PM :confused:

gate
May 16, 2005, 07:14 AM
Why brake the tradition of the PM :confused:

I think it's time to come up with another name. It could be as simple as "PowerPro Mac" or "PowerMac Pro". And for Apple, it will be easier to justify the minor speed bump (from 2,5 to 2,7 GHz) the PowerMac line just had. And Apple can keep that line intact. From a marketing point of view, it makes sense.

mad jew
May 16, 2005, 07:14 AM
I would like the BT keyboard to have the same key sizes as my powerbook which I prefere to my Apple BT keyboard

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If they wanted to go one step further than merely changing the dye at the keyboard making factory, they could develop a PowerBook-type keyboard. Something solid yet light that's really easy to touch-type on. That's be awesome. It's really simple. If they got started tonight, they could be done by WWDC. :D

iGary
May 16, 2005, 07:16 AM
What's interesting is we're less than a month out and their are no rumours mingling anywhere. We were already talking about 30-inch displays this time last year, and Tiger.

Platform
May 16, 2005, 07:17 AM
I think it's time to come up with another name. It could be as simple as "PowerPro Mac" or "PowerMac Pro". And for Apple, it will be easier to justify the minor speed bump (from 2,5 to 2,7 GHz) the PowerMac line just had. And Apple can keep that line intact. From a marketing point of view, it makes sense.

Well you have a point there, but I still think theyshould keep the name ;) :o

Platform
May 16, 2005, 07:18 AM
What's interesting is we're less than a month out and their are no rumours mingling anywhere. We were already talking about 30-inch displays this time last year, and Tiger.

Yeah, could apple come up with any BIG software suprises :confused: :eek: :D

chameeeleon
May 16, 2005, 07:19 AM
The exception to the no-iPod-intros at WWDC would be if Apple unleashed the new video iPod with the ability to run third party apps. That way developers could start putting their talents to small shareware for the 'pod. The market would be huge.

And stuff I'd LIKE to see?
The video Airport, if not at All Things Digital.
An iSight update so that I can finally buy one and not feel guilty if it gets updated/price-dropped a month later (sort of the position I've been in since Christmas lol). A two-pack would be really nice.
iTunes 5, but please god don't make it a video app. I like the music video thing we've got going on now, because the music connection is still there, but if iTunes turns into Windows Media Player...
A QUICKTIME h264 TV/movie store that they'll be testing for the summer with all the low-budge TV shows no one watches so that they can have the thing perfect in time for September and TV season. Works seamlessly with the Airport Express, and is built into QUICKTIME and NOT iTunes.

iGary
May 16, 2005, 07:30 AM
My official guesses:

AE update.

HD screens for PB's

Blu-Ray announcement for PM's (timeline).

PM roadmap.

That's all I got. :confused:

themacman
May 16, 2005, 07:30 AM
Xstation

themacman
May 16, 2005, 07:33 AM
A Quicktime video iPod I bet, it's only a matter of time before this is developed!!
of course because of the new music videos in itms.

iGary
May 16, 2005, 07:45 AM
of course because of the new music videos in itms.

They won't let this out of the bag until a month before Thanksgiving.

BUT

The minute they announce an iPod that I can show home movies on...sold.

Platform
May 16, 2005, 09:56 AM
Xstation

Can you please elaborate more on what that is suppose to be ;)

Erendiox
May 16, 2005, 10:24 AM
and better screens overall... just put an iBook next to a PowerBook have both screens on maximum brightness and dimm the lights: PowerBook has more & equal illumination all over the screen, iBook has more light in the centre of the screen, and is dimmer...

the colorreproduction on the PowerBooks is allso better (still there is a difference with using a high end display (crt or the real good tft's) but quite good...)

Nope. You're wrong there. The iBooks and the Powerbooks use exactly the same screens. (well, for at least the 12 inch). The 15 and 17 inch are just bigger versions of that screen, with the same quality and ppi (pixels per inch). So there really are no extra pixels either. You're just paying for a bigger screen, thats all.

As far as my opinion goes, it doesn't make sense for them to put an HD screen on a powerbook if it doesn't have the power to playback HD video right? :confused:

It just wouldn't go with the whole "year of HD" thing that steve has started up. :D

audiovox
May 16, 2005, 10:34 AM
whaaaaaaat. absolutely no chances of an iBook update? zero? zilch? nada? :(

Church
May 16, 2005, 10:48 AM
I hope that somewhere someone comes out with a video camera with a HDD. *coughmakeiCamapple!cough* Come on guys, tapes are stupid and dvd's are too permanent.

I also am wishing for dual core PM's. Come on stevie, show me something I want. :cool:

asanchezm
May 16, 2005, 10:50 AM
I doubt steve would waste an hour talking about a speed bump to the ibook line. That should come quietly as all other upgrades have happened.

For sure they are going to release asteroid and steve is going to talk about what a success itunes has been....

GIVE ME A UPDATED POWERBOOK!!!

Trout74
May 16, 2005, 11:08 AM
1.8 GHZ G5 Powerbook with High Def. 17" screen.

write it down and take a picture, its coming.

trout

CmdrLaForge
May 16, 2005, 12:39 PM
First - a lot of talking why Tiger is soooo great
Second - a lot of talking why Tiger is soooo great
Third - a lot of talking why Tiger is soooo great

And silently appearing in the Apple Store:
Redesigned iBook
Updated HD 17" pbook - thats it

Maybe:

Around October slightly better PBs.

Cheers
LaForge

rockandrule
May 16, 2005, 12:40 PM
I was planning on setting up an order for a 15" PowerBook this week. Now the time that it would take to process this order is about three weeks (it's going through a business purchase order). What I've really been looking for in a PowerBook is a HD screen. Do you guys think that I should wait and see if they release a 15" at WWDC, and even if they did, how soon do you all think it would ship? I need it somewhere in the middle of July at the absolute latest.

CmdrLaForge
May 16, 2005, 01:00 PM
I was planning on setting up an order for a 15" PowerBook this week. Now the time that it would take to process this order is about three weeks (it's going through a business purchase order). What I've really been looking for in a PowerBook is a HD screen. Do you guys think that I should wait and see if they release a 15" at WWDC, and even if they did, how soon do you all think it would ship? I need it somewhere in the middle of July at the absolute latest.

If you need the HD screen - why not get the 15" now + a 23" screen? On the other hand - if you can wait, wait.

rockandrule
May 16, 2005, 01:02 PM
No one said I had the money to pull off a deal like that. If I could I would though. It's more of a want rather than a need, I'm just hoping that I can get one with a HD screen. I work at Office Depot and it kills me to go in everyday and look at the beautiful screens on our HP and Toshiba notebooks, and realize that Apple doesn't offer them as of yet.

GeeYouEye
May 16, 2005, 01:38 PM
After doing some more thinking, I'll revise my guesses.

Likely: AirPort Extreme Update, either to the 802.11n draft (assuming it looks like it'll just be a matter of a firmware update to get it to spec eventually) or to the dual-channel 802.11g stuff that D-Link and Netgear make right now. Java 1.5 beta.

Possible: iBook update. Preview of next-generation Xcode Tools. List (no demos) of 10.5 planned features. Demo of QuickTime 7.1. WebObjects 6, or at least 5.5*.

Unlikely: PowerMac updates to either dual-core or 3 GHz. Mac mini update.

Very unlikely: 10.5 demo. Anything to do with iTunes or iPod.

*if that one, then here's some scenarios for that:

Likely: complete privatization of the Enterprise Objects frameworks to discourage hacks to use EOF and Cocoa/Objective-C (for those who need a bit more than CoreData can give them). A rewrite of EOModeler in Java:(. Rewrite of WOBuilder in Java. Lots of defeated sighs from the few remaining WebObjects and EOF developers.

Possible: Apple admits it's mistake in choosing Java over Objective-C for WebObjects 5, announces WO6 (shipping later in the year) will have complete Objective-C support, in addition to Java. Updates to EOF, a major bug-fix and UI update release for EOModeler, and a WebKit-based WOBuilder. Huge cheering from the WO developers in the crowd (myself included) :D.

Unlikely: Apple announces that WebObjects 6 will be based on Ruby or Python. Mixed reactions. Some self-defenestration due to frustration by those who don't care what Apple uses for WebObjects, just so long as it stays consistent.

Very unlikely: Apple discontinues WebObjects except for in-house use (iTMS, Apple Store) or raises the price back to $50,000 without any significant updates.

jesseleeroy
May 16, 2005, 02:16 PM
i dont think ibook will get updated at WWDC. if it does, it will be just announced on the site and thats all. unlikely but maybe PB update? not to G5, but maybe a little speed bump or RAM bump. apple is being pressured about pb g5 so maybe they will try to quiet those fans by a small update? :D

evilernie
May 16, 2005, 02:50 PM
Not tivo, but Apple's version; the iDVR.

Uses the same case as the Mini. Can you imagine that sitting on top of your tv?

Uses iTunes (or some similar interface, iTV? iTube?) to pick and choose which programs to record.

Actually plays nice with Comcast's sucky digital boxes.

Oh, and it's HDTV compatible.

Hey, it could happen? :D

Tachyon
May 16, 2005, 03:17 PM
My guess:

108MBit Airport Extrem

mac mini:

+200Mhz, 512MB-Ram, +Superdrive

ib:
new brighter/better displays 2 work outside.
DDR333, 108 MBit Airport Extrem, BT2
12" 1.33 Ghz, 60MB HD
(13" i don't know)
14" 1.5 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce FX
15" 1.5 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce FX

pb:
new brighter/better displays 2 work outside.
108 MBit Airport Extrem
12" 1.67 Ghz, cold and silent :D
15" 1.67/1.90 >x>1.67 Ghz, 128MB ATI,
17" 1.90 >x>1.67 Ghz, 128MB ATI

gamestriker
May 16, 2005, 04:39 PM
WWDC announcement predictions:
- PowerBook HD 17"
- iSight HD
- Asteriod
- New Pro Apps/Next-gen Apps
- PowerMac HD 3.0GHz with Blu-ray

Is there a good possibility that Jobs might announce the following at D?
- iBook update
- Mac mini update
- phasing out of the 20GB iPod black-and-white

I'm pretty confident that it is likely that the AirPort Express update will update at D, along with a lot of talk about the HD roadmap, the Apple-Sony-TiVo and the future of Blu-ray, hints of WWDC and Macworld Paris, and a few other things.

Uma888
May 16, 2005, 04:45 PM
My predictions:

AE with 802.11n Support

HD Powerbooks

All Notebooks with 128mb VRAM minimum

"17 Cinema Display (Maybe iSight integrated :rolleyes: )

"30 Cinema Display price drop

Video ipods :rolleyes:

Apple media centre (mac mini + HD output + Some cool Multimedia management Package (like Windows Media Centre) + Remote)

Basic RAM upgrade to 512MB or Possibly 1gb (I know im dreaming)

A two Button Wheel Mouse ( :p )

Better GFX in Mac mini (128mb)

Dual Core cpu announcement (official)

More posters taking the P*SS out of Longhorn

Tiger for x86 (Because i can dream :P )

wide
May 16, 2005, 05:00 PM
As far as my opinion goes, it doesn't make sense for them to put an HD screen on a powerbook if it doesn't have the power to playback HD video right? :confused:

well, if the powerbooks were G5, then they could play back HD videos ;)

lexfuzo
May 16, 2005, 05:09 PM
There will be Powerbooks, 13", 15", 17" widescreen, the 13" being a subnotebook without optical drive, weighing less than 1,5 kg.
They use DDR2 and and their FSB runs at 600 or 666 MHz, a third of the speed of the new G5 Mobile processor, which is basically a G4 with 64-bit capabilities, clocked at 1,8/2,0 GHz.

(no, I don't belive it, but I'd like it...)

drbrog
May 16, 2005, 05:24 PM
How about a powerbook with an isight built-in?

noel4r
May 16, 2005, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately, another iPod update again...booooriiing...

shadownight
May 16, 2005, 06:26 PM
Apart from the PowerBook G5, probably new AirPort Express and Extreme, as AppleInsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1077) (but AirPort will likely be next week at the "D: All Things Digital Conference")

iQuit
May 16, 2005, 07:10 PM
At the last keynote it was all about the HD "year",so you can definately guarantee some HD stuff. I think it will be a new program or programs dealing with HD. I am hoping a HD PowerBbook G5...but that may not happen. Maybe a boost on the PM,and maybe something to do with Sony. Oh yeh don't forget talk about the new quicktime format.

Sirus The Virus
May 16, 2005, 08:22 PM
Here's what would my best guess: a video iPod of some sort, the Asteriod box thing, and OS X 10.5 might be announced and renamed NeXT Step 10.5.

drewyboy
May 16, 2005, 09:24 PM
Hey iGary... the Blu-Ray is prob not going to happen. Sony wants to combine with the HD-DVD so that consumers don't get pissed but Toshiba is being a baby and not wanting to talk. The problem is Toshiba is screwing itself because the major electronic companies back blu-ray, plus nero has already made toolkits for blu-ray... so at this point, Sony is being nice and letting Toshiba get on the banwagon, but is being suborn. But then again, I wouldn't put it passed Jobs to be bold and put a computer out with it, then start to push people in that direction.

dongmin
May 17, 2005, 12:01 AM
1. iTunes to-go demo

2. Announcement of iPod Games Division

3. iTunes 5.0 with support for downloadable games & motorola phones

4. New 60GB iPod with larger screen for downloadable games

5. G5 PowerBooks with a new G5 mobile processor

6. Wireless firewire; G5 PowerBook option for wireless firewire module

Platform
May 17, 2005, 04:31 AM
1. iTunes to-go demo

What could wireless FW bring.....speakers :confused: :p

mad jew
May 17, 2005, 04:38 AM

This wireless firewire worries me. I don't fully understand it so hopefully someone can help me out here. Would it be simply a wireless replacement for current firewire? Does this mean you can charge iPods over it because from my admittedly limited knowledge of electricity, I think that's effectively impossible.

Platform
May 17, 2005, 05:29 AM
This wireless firewire worries me. I don't fully understand it so hopefully someone can help me out here. Would it be simply a wireless replacement for current firewire? Does this mean you can charge iPods over it because from my admittedly limited knowledge of electricity, I think that's effectively impossible.

Charging anything I don't think will work.....we would see that on a much more concept stage before apple got it ;)

And if so then you could have anything mobiles, mice, etc. On FW charge :rolleyes: :D

mad jew
May 17, 2005, 05:31 AM
Charging anything I don't think will work.....we would see that on a much more concept stage before apple got it ;)

And if so then you could have anything mobiles, mice, etc. On FW charge :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, that's what I figured. So then, is wireless firewire simply a much faster, short range bluetooth?

redeye be
May 17, 2005, 05:37 AM
just maybe: splashpower! :D
story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2861987.stm) company (http://www.splashpower.com/)

mad jew
May 17, 2005, 05:42 AM
story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2861987.stm) company (http://www.splashpower.com/)

It might be wireless, but it's still not all that great because it's still based on a platform-style charger so effectively, it's like the World's Fattest and Easiest-To-Plug-In charger.

xisforextreme
May 17, 2005, 05:46 AM

I hear that. I've been waiting for months to go out and buy an updated iBook. Until it comes out I'm stuck using my pentium 2 notebook. Any time before or during WWDC would be wonderful. Does anyone think that there's any hope of seeing an updated iBook before WWDC?

Platform
May 17, 2005, 06:02 AM

Well as I said... it is in the development not really a consumer item. ;)

And what: it is BIG :o

iGary
May 17, 2005, 06:20 AM
My revised predictions for WWDC:

Steve's gonna say some stuff. :D

minimax
May 17, 2005, 06:32 AM
My guess would be BOTH the announcement of the Powerbook G4D and Powermac G5D.
Why Powerbook G4 Dualcore? There was pretty reliable info about the taiwanese ibook manufacturer receiving an order for production of a widescreen ibook for the end of the year (macworld paris?) but it just doesnt make sense to redesign the case without redesigning everything else. So IF the new ibook would be introduced towards the end of the year the new powerbooks need to be introduced before that. We all know powerbook G5 is out of the question. The performance gain of an 1.8 GHz G5 over an 1.67 Ghz G4 is almost negligable and we all know the power consumption of the G5 so it has to be the G4 dualcore.
Concerning the powermac it is clear we had only half an update.

Listen to me people, WWDC will be DOUBLE D-DAY :eek:

Bubbasteve
May 17, 2005, 06:59 AM

I think that's a safe bet -- I agree!

themacman
May 17, 2005, 07:30 AM
1. iTunes to-go demo

god i hope so

gate
May 17, 2005, 07:35 AM
According to macosrumors.com (they're usually not very reliable ... too bad):

"Apple's first quad-processor Mac won't be a PowerMac, or an Xserve; it will be an all-new product line, the long-rumored "Xstation" according to sources. Dual-processor Powerbooks and other dual-processor Macs will follow the introduction of this new machine which could come as soon as Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference early next month"

Maxiseller
May 17, 2005, 08:49 AM
Here's my ideas.

1) Airport Express 2 that allows you to stream movies and video content as you can presently with music.

2) Powerbook G5 - I know people don't think so, but for the "power" series, the G4 is stunnngly out of date. 1.67Ghz? I had an athlon Thunderbird that could do that around 2-3 years ago!!

3) iTunes 5, supporting the...

4) ...New Video iPod. Justified by Steve (Who won't go back on his "no content availble" for having music videos that you can download to it. It will probably only support a few very small codecs, but third party cracks will soon open it up.

modernpixel
May 17, 2005, 10:02 AM
iPod with video capability for sure. They won't rename it iPod video or anything, it'll just be a feature in the new (all color) lineup.

With H.264, it's pretty much a no brainer -- plus people think it's the next big thing for cellphones, so it only makes sense that the iPod, being a portable media player, would do it too. The iTunes Music store already has trailers, music videos, and now video add-ons for purchased albums - filling your iPod up with them is just natural.

Platform
May 17, 2005, 10:10 AM
Here's my ideas.

1) Airport Express 2 that allows you to stream movies and video content as you can presently with music.

That would be nice......but what "interface" would it have to be 802.11n...so g would not be supported or :confused:

JonMaker
May 17, 2005, 10:40 AM
I hear that. I've been waiting for months to go out and buy an updated iBook. Until it comes out I'm stuck using my pentium 2 notebook. Any time before or during WWDC would be wonderful. Does anyone think that there's any hope of seeing an updated iBook before WWDC?

You too, eh?

Oh well, the longer we wait, the sweeter it will be when we get it; maybe we're waiting for more than just another speedbump...

:eek:

Jo-Kun
May 17, 2005, 10:48 AM

imagine -> wireless FW to camera... would be a nice setup for studio/location work with digital photography, no more hassle with cables running to the camera (yes I know: CF or other storage will help with that :p but I mean wireless control over the camera direct capture to your computer...)

that is if I understand the whole wireless FW concept :D

Uma888
May 17, 2005, 11:15 AM

WUSB is in the works, i dont know about WFirewire (yet)

cwedl
May 17, 2005, 11:22 AM
new iBook G5, 12" and 15", same res as powerbook.
new G5 Powerbook.
Video iPod.
and all colour iPods.
And a free copy of the new book, iCon to everyone in the audience! :D

SpaceMagic
May 17, 2005, 11:36 AM
Before WWDC:

Airport Express w/ Video Support

WWDC:

New iBook which flips into tablet. As seen with new patents.

We must remember WWDC is a development conference. There must be new platforms to develop for. The PowerMac G5 was released because it was new 64bit computer - a new platform to program for. iPod releases are very very unlikely, but may happen around the WWDC period but wont be mentioned during the Keynote.

maxvamp
May 17, 2005, 11:43 AM

The next day, the AMD boards will try to debunk or trash the stuff Steve said.....

Max.

JRM PowerPod
May 17, 2005, 12:09 PM
WWDC = Will Welcome Dual Cores

dongmin
May 17, 2005, 12:37 PM

Wireless firewire has been in development for some time:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2000/05/20000503205740.shtml
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/05/20040512081929.shtml

Potential uses:

1. DVRs connecting wirelessly to your Mac
2. Wireless syncing of your iPods
3. Wireless portable HDs
4. Video cameras wireless downloading to your Mac
5. Pretty much anything with high bandwidth

Like it or not, everything is eventually gonna go wireless, with power the possible exception. Wireless firewire was a pretty hot topic last year but lately people seem more interested in wireless USB (potentially more widespread adoption).

Astral Cars
May 17, 2005, 04:40 PM

Doesn't it seem like a bad idea to have magnets around electronic devices, especially ones with hard drives?

Or would this be strictly a non hard drive containing/other stuff sort of thing?

redeye be
May 17, 2005, 05:04 PM
Doesn't it seem like a bad idea to have magnets around electronic devices, especially ones with hard drives?

Or would this be strictly a non hard drive containing/other stuff sort of thing?
That would be a bad idea indeed. Although the manufacturer does mention the magnetic field doesn't affect credit cards. Maybe HD's are safe as well. Everything without a magnetic HD would be useable i'd say. And there still is solid-state memory ;)

Cougarcat
May 17, 2005, 05:22 PM
What I think will happen:

--Airport Express A/V (if not announced next week, and even if it is, steve will talk a lot about it)
--iSight 2 with h.264 support given out (like someone else said, a 2-pack option would be really nice)
--Steve says a bunch of stuff about how insanely great tiger is, mentions how many copies they sold, etc.
--"One More thing" = redesigned iBook

What I want to happen:

All that stuff, plus a total revamp of the entire portable line with all-new enclosures.

--iBook: Single-core G4 processor w/ widescreen, 64 MB Radeon 9600, 1.33 and 1.42 Ghz
--Powerbook: Dual-Core G4 processor at 1.6 and 1.8 Ghz, better bus speed, and an upgradable Radeon 9800 (w/ 128 MB Vram in the 15" and 17")

No G5 please, I do not want to get third degree burns and I'd like decent battery life.

Oh yeah, and a $399 8" tablet. That would be sweet.

barneygumble
May 17, 2005, 05:52 PM
I tink we will see an itunes like movie service, the signs are all there for it!!

Think abou tit

themacman
May 17, 2005, 06:12 PM
Can you please elaborate more on what that is suppose to be ;)
the powermac is now the highend mac. This would be a station to accompnay the xserve. It would have faster, newer technology then the powermac. It would be around the difference of the imac to powermac. Prety much the ultimate apple desktop machine

Platform
May 17, 2005, 06:27 PM
the powermac is now the highend mac. This would be a station to accompnay the xserve. It would have faster, newer technology then the powermac. It would be around the difference of the imac to powermac. Prety much the ultimate apple desktop machine

So in b/w the iMac oand PM or above....near the Xserve :confused:

trailblazer
May 17, 2005, 07:11 PM
could everybody stop requesting PB features in iBooks? There's a reason that they're in the Powerbook as opposed to the iBook... if you want these features, pay the extra bit!

as for 12inch screens, they were different up until rev D. (better quality a, b, c). I believe since rev d of the PB 12", that the iBook and PB screens are the same.

Everyone should get over the whole PB G5, wait for some solid rumors. All most of us read on here is '..I'll be waitnig for PB G5 this, PB G5 that...' Wait till something substatial is found, in the way of a rumor..or something.

SuperChuck
May 17, 2005, 07:41 PM
I'm sayin' it first ---> New form factor for the PowerMac.

We can finally say goodbye to the 100 pound cheese-grater (and there will be much rejoicing).

PB 17 will probably go HD, as well.

aswitcher
May 17, 2005, 07:51 PM

--Airport Express A/V (if not announced next week, and even if it is, steve will talk a lot about it)
--iSight 2 with h.264 support given out (like someone else said, a 2-pack option would be really nice)
--Steve says a bunch of stuff about how insanely great tiger is, mentions how many copies they sold, etc.

That would be a satisfying WWDC.

What I want to happen:

SNIP

Yep, that would be great.

But 8" seems a bit small. I would like a larger screen but I imagine its going to be more expensive the bigger you go.

Price is going to be crucial for wide spread appeal...

themacman
May 17, 2005, 08:32 PM
WWDC = Will Welcome Dual Cores
wouldnt that be funny if that was the slogan for the banners.

jaw04005
May 17, 2005, 10:31 PM
WWDC is for the technical crowd, so I expect that the iBook and iPod will not be updated. Nor will we see any consumer software updates (such as iTunes 5).

Displays and PowerMac G5 have already been updated.

WWDC is a big ? this year. I think Steve will talk briefly about Tiger (sales, QuickTime 7, core image, etc). He will then mention 10.5 roadmap, comparing it to MS Longhorn, and what it means for Apple developers. However, Steve will give no timeline for 10.5.

I also think he will address the recent updates to the G5 line, and talk about where "the industry is with 90nm." I think he will also talk at length about the PowerPC and G5 and how important it is to Apple.

I think we will see xServe and xSan updates.

The problem with talking about Tiger is that there have already been 3 keynotes over it (WWDC 04, Paris 04, and January 05). What more does one need to know?

Always a possibility, a G5 PowerBook or Dual-Core G5's.

Platform
May 18, 2005, 07:31 AM
WWDC is a big ? this year. I think Steve will talk briefly about Tiger (sales, QuickTime 7, core image, etc). He will then mention 10.5 roadmap, comparing it to MS Longhorn, and what it means for Apple developers. However, Steve will give no timeline for 10.5.

I think we will see xServe and xSan updates.

The problem with talking about Tiger is that there have already been 3 keynotes over it (WWDC 04, Paris 04, and January 05). What more does one need to know?

Always a possibility, a G5 PowerBook or Dual-Core G5's.

Well if he shows us the road-map for 10.5....Longhorn is allready behind Tiger in time and features. Then a year before Longhorn is out he shows "map" the OS that will take over for an OS that is allready better than Longhorn :eek: :eek: :D Oh yes please ;)

iGary
May 18, 2005, 07:58 AM
Everyone needs to remember one thing - this is not a consumer event. People pay thousands of dollars to attend this event. It's not a showcase for the consumer line, so no iPods, no iBooks, no iMacs.

OS talk, yes.
PM talk, yes.
PB talk, yes.
AE talk, maybe.

You will not see an iBook released at this event. :o

aswitcher
May 18, 2005, 08:24 AM
Everyone needs to remember one thing - this is not a consumer event. People pay thousands of dollars to attend this event. It's not a showcase for the consumer line, so no iPods, no iBooks, no iMacs.

OS talk, yes.
PM talk, yes.
PB talk, yes.
AE talk, maybe.

Well I am sure you are right but didn't the AExp come out at the last WWDC - or at least around it? Is that really a pro device?

PM and PB just got updates so I dont know how much Steve can really say about them...

Last year the hardware was the new screens. In the year of HD and now with Tiger, maybe we will see an HD 20"...but that would require moving away from the 100dpi...but then again screen prices dropped a bit not so long ago so maybe we will see new resolution Apple screens - and same in the PBs...and if they did the 17" PB HD then a new 17" Apple screen for the Mac mini would be in order...

iGary
May 18, 2005, 08:26 AM
Well I am sure you are right but didn't the AExp come out at the last WWDC - or at least around it? Is that really a pro device?

No, but the CODEC involved and the integration with other apps is.

Lacero
May 18, 2005, 08:29 AM
I hope to see Steve demo Mac OS X 10.5 at this years WWDC. What new features will he surprise us with? Also, new dual-core dual G5 running at 2.5 Ghz, along with new 1.6 Ghz G5 PowerBook with 12-hour battery life.

iGary
May 18, 2005, 08:43 AM
I hope to see Steve demo Mac OS X 10.5 at this years WWDC. What new features will he surprise us with? Also, new dual-core dual G5 running at 2.5 Ghz, along with new 1.6 Ghz G5 PowerBook with 12-hour battery life.

Damn straight. :cool: :rolleyes: :D

fedora
May 18, 2005, 10:20 AM

OS talk, yes.
PM talk, yes.
PB talk, yes.
AE talk, maybe.

Why do people keep saying this. People do develop software for the consumer line, why wouldn't they release a iBook at a developer conference?

MacSA
May 18, 2005, 11:21 AM
Apple intended to release the iMacs at WWDC last year, but they were delayed and released in Paris.

KrysBaz
May 18, 2005, 12:27 PM
I've not read all the other threads (sorry would take to long ) :)

I'd like to see Steve introduce a new PB & PM line up, and a new developer tool for games, a pro app for targeting the consumer market.

Ok so it's a pipe dream, but this is all a speculative thread anyway so why not just look to the sky and hope !

jaw04005
May 18, 2005, 12:32 PM
Why do people keep saying this. People do develop software for the consumer line, why wouldn't they release a iBook at a developer conference?

To my knowledge, Apple has never introduced a consumer product at WWDC. Developers might develop software for the consumer line, but (at least in Apple's eyes) they develop the software on Apple's professional hardware (PowerMac, PowerBook, xServe, etc).

However, we no longer have MacWorld July... so who knows what the future of WWDC is.

jaw04005
May 18, 2005, 12:36 PM
Apple intended to release the iMacs at WWDC last year, but they were delayed and released in Paris.

I actually thought they intended to release the iMac G5 in May, when U.S. educiational institutions begin developing their budgets for the upcoming school year.

BONDS
May 18, 2005, 06:57 PM

What I want to happen:

All that stuff, plus a total revamp of the entire portable line with all-new enclosures.

--iBook: Single-core G4 processor w/ widescreen, 64 MB Radeon 9600, 1.33 and 1.42 Ghz
--Powerbook: Dual-Core G4 processor at 1.6 and 1.8 Ghz, better bus speed, and an upgradable Radeon 9800 (w/ 128 MB Vram in the 15" and 17")

No G5 please, I do not want to get third degree burns and I'd like decent battery life.

Hey,

Im a noob and just wanted to know if Dual-Core g4's are 64-bit or are they 32bit???

sorry ifthis question has been asked already

snkTab
May 18, 2005, 09:26 PM
Apple will introduce a game console.

It will come out before XBOX 360.

It will have a hard drive search capability.
It will have fast user switching
It will be a all in one media hub
It will feature a powerppc processor
It will be shaped somewhat like a copying machine.

Microsoft will be owned in their own game

Moo-Boo
May 18, 2005, 10:12 PM

What I want to happen:

I like what Cougarcat said. From what I've been reading and hearing about, Cougarcat's prognostication sounds reasonably hopeful, yet something to really look forward to. The heat issue with the G5 processor is very depressing for Apple, and, having a look at the specs of the G4 dual core processor, I think they sound great. Relatively low energy requirements and high output, when they can outperform the G5, I'd love a HD PowerBook with one onboard. At the same time, don't give up hope on the G5 PB...early next year, they'll have had the problem licked and G5 PBs will be the lusty order of the day.

Platform
May 19, 2005, 02:52 AM
Hey,

Im a noob and just wanted to know if Dual-Core g4's are 64-bit or are they 32bit???

sorry ifthis question has been asked already

Depens on who will make them and how.

If it is dual-core or not does not matter with the number of Bit's it has.

There is both Dual-core 64Bit CPU's "AMD" and Single-core CPU's "AMD and IBM's PPC ;)

aswitcher
May 19, 2005, 04:04 AM
Apple will introduce a game console.

It will come out before XBOX 360.

It will have a hard drive search capability.
It will have fast user switching
It will be a all in one media hub
It will feature a powerppc processor
It will be shaped somewhat like a copying machine.

Microsoft will be owned in their own game