PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook prob w/btmouse and external display

Case
May 17, 2005, 07:23 AM
First off - sorry if this is in another thread. I searched but could not find a definitive answer.

I just purchased a new 12 inch pb 1.33 from microcenter. Great deal if you can get it. I also have the Dell 2005 FPW monitor. OSX looks fantastic!

One prob: I have the Apple bt keyboard and a Macally BTMouse Jr. When I shut the pb lid and use the external display, the keyboard functions fine. The mouse stops working. I would prefer to keep a 2 btn scroll wheel mouse if possible but will go to another mouse, probably Apple's, if that is what is needed.

Thanks,

Case

swindmill
May 17, 2005, 12:59 PM
I have the same mouse and KB, as well as an external monitor for my PB. I have only closed the PB once and used only the external monitor, but I had no problems with the mouse on that ocassion. Therefore, I wouldn't think the problem would be your mouse, although I suppose two of the same kind could differ.

erik1975
May 17, 2005, 01:10 PM
I have had a similar problem, and have found it exists on Tiger as well on releases as far back as 10.3.7. I have the Bookendz 12" Powerbook dock connected to an external monitor (and many other desktop items). I find that since 10.3.7 if I dock with the lid closed, and wake the computr with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard, or BT500 mouse, that I lose the mouse cursor.

Can you clarify that you are only losing the cursor? I.e. close all apps so that only Finder/Desktop is viewable. Then 'cause your mouse to break' but try to click drag around the desktop. If you see a grey hightlighted drag box appear, I would guess you have the same issue as me.

I've never reported this issue as I find it better to run with Dual display mode at my desk. The only pain is that if me/wife docks without leaving the lid open, we almost always lose the mouse.

Hope this helps!

Case
May 17, 2005, 09:50 PM
Well I shouldn't say that it corrected itself...Last night I ran the bluetooth firmware updater and was told I was up to date. Tried again this evening just in case and sure enough, the firmware was updated. Now it runs great.

pb lid shut...installing iLife 05 as I type using the 20 inch lcd. Fantastic

Thanks,

Chris