Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Based on my observations, people primarily do not downvote based on the quality of a post; they downvote based on whether they personally agree or disagree with the post content. I've seen well reasoned, thoughtful posts be downvoted into oblivion just because they expressed negative opinions about an Apple product/feature.

Sometimes, new posters get downvoted simply for the fact that they're new:
I've just noticed 2 downvotes on a post in which I asked for help today ! I'm unsubscribing forthwith as it makes me feel uncomfortable and I don't know what i did wrong. I only asked for help. People were good enough to respond. But if others think I'm wasting valuable time, then I don't want to be here.

That seems totally wrong to me. MacRumors isn't an old boys club that should frown upon new members.

I think the downvoting option should be removed from posts, but the upvoting option should remain. That way it leads to less hostility and negativity, and truly bad posts/posts that break the rules can be reported using the "Report Post" option.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
These don't really seem to address the issue. Hiding the voting buttons is akin to burying your head in the sand.
Read both links. They're not just discussing hiding them. The point is, it's been discussed ad nauseam.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Read both links.
I did. The second thread is a perfect example of what I'm referring to. The OP couldn't have been more articulate and his post has a rating of -52.

That just seems totally wrong to me.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this is the whole reason there wasn't a voting system in place here for so long. i still think that it is not needed and the continued use of it is rather pointless.

imo.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Hiding the voting buttons is akin to burying your head in the sand.

Believing the vote-count has any significance is akin to hearing voices in white noise.

It can be fun. Or not. I will up-vote or down-vote for many different reasons. Humor is often one of them, and sometimes a down-vote is the most humorous to me.

greganpace

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah... I've been using the forum for 3 months and I didn't even know they were there until last week. No one cares...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Based on my observations, people primarily do not downvote based on the quality of a post; they downvote based on whether they personally agree or disagree with the post content.

Please link to specific examples of posts you think were improperly downvoted... excluding any examples in discussions about voting -- as those votes are artificially affected by the discussion.

arn

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Please link to specific examples of posts you think were improperly downvoted... excluding any examples in discussions about voting -- as those votes are artificially affected by the discussion.

arn

I think a definition of "improperly downvoted" would have to be created before specific examples could be cited. As I understand it now, it is merely a feature with no prescribed rules for use. I could be wrong though; you would certainly know better than I. :D

I just don't understand why people get so upset over it in the first place.....

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA

arn

1, 2

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I just looked at the posts and both are yours and both are -1 on the downvote

Is this really a concern?
I fail to see this as abuse or even improper use of the system personally
They are just examples brah, it happens in other threads too but I just knew these two off the top of my head since they were my posts

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
How is it inappropriate?
Downvotes are not constructive. Why doesn't Google+ have a "-1" button? Why doesn't Facebook have a "Dislike" option?

I wrote a tutorial about how to unlock a Verizon iPhone, and it was downvoted. Why? I can't answer that, but I do know that it makes no sense to me, and doesn't make me feel particularly interested in being helpful like that in the future on this forum because downvotes indicate to me that the post wasn't appreciated.

I think the upvote button by itself makes much more sense. If a post is truly bad or wrong in some way, it can still be reported.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Downvotes are not constructive. Why doesn't Google+ have a "-1" button? Why doesn't Facebook have a "Dislike" option?

I wrote a tutorial about how to unlock a Verizon iPhone, and it was downvoted. Why? I can't answer that, but I do know that it makes no sense to me, and doesn't make me feel particularly interested in being helpful like that in the future on this forum because downvotes indicate to me that the post wasn't appreciated.

I think the upvote button by itself makes much more sense. If a post is truly bad or wrong in some way, it can still be reported.

Doesn't mean it is inappropriate. It would be even more useless to provide only an upvote button.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I'm not sure I understand your question then. Maybe it would make more sense for you to explain how a downvote of that post was appropriate.

You would have to ask the person (or people) who did it; I'm not sure why your posts were down voted.

Is the only reason you want it to go away because you're hurt by the thought of someone down voting your post without an explanation?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I did. The second thread is a perfect example of what I'm referring to. The OP couldn't have been more articulate and his post has a rating of -52.

That just seems totally wrong to me.

Then hide the votes......

For one who says that this system has no significance, you sure are worried about it

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
CA
There is no way to implement the system you want.
That's not correct. This vBulletin forum uses just a "like" button for posts:

Yl06l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.