PDA

View Full Version : Proposal to Add Gender Designators

Huntn
Nov 9, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm finding from a social aspect that it would be very beneficial to include the ability to designate your gender along with a very small gender icon that appears by your avatar. I've seen this in other forums and find it very beneficial when conversing with someone you don't know, which is most of the people I converse with online. :D:D
Thanks for the consideration...

r2shyyou
Nov 9, 2011, 02:50 PM
I'm finding from a social aspect that it would be very beneficial to include the ability to designate your gender along with a very small gender icon that appears by your avatar. I've seen this in other forums and find it very beneficial when conversing with someone you don't know, which is most of the people I converse with online. :D:D

So long as it was optional, I wouldn't personally object.

Huntn
Nov 9, 2011, 02:55 PM
I am playing this silly game in the Community forum, was surrounded by girls and did not even know it. Fortunately I am always politically correct in my comments. :D

Firestar
Nov 9, 2011, 02:59 PM
Having a gender designator would be beneficial as long as it's optional.
I am playing this silly game in the Community forum, was surrounded by girls and did not even know it. Fortunately I am always politically correct in my comments. :D
That game is not silly!

It's completely serious.

APlotdevice
Nov 9, 2011, 03:00 PM
I also agree that so long as it's optional.

dukebound85
Nov 9, 2011, 03:06 PM
why does it matter what one's gender is?

I feel this would result in the girls getting a ton of pms from dudes

I say the system is fine as it is. This is not facebook

GGJstudios
Nov 9, 2011, 03:08 PM
I completely agree.... and please, don't make it like facebook!

Jaffa Cake
Nov 9, 2011, 03:11 PM
One thing to consider is that there would be no way to know for certain if someone is being truthful. And as dukebound85 mentions, some of our female MacRumormongers may prefer to keep their gender a secret online, so as to avoid unwelcome attention.

dejo
Nov 9, 2011, 03:11 PM

Is that where PMS comes from? :eek:

Firestar
Nov 9, 2011, 03:14 PM
One thing to consider is that there would be no way to know for certain if someone is being truthful. And as dukebound85 mentions, some of our female MacRumormongers may prefer to keep their gender a secret online, so as to avoid unwelcome attention.
Which is why it would be optional.
To be correct in grammar (he, she, him, her, etc.), would be the main thing for me.

Huntn
Nov 9, 2011, 04:09 PM

Gender matters. Such an icon should be voluntary. This is not an attempt to make this facebook.

I participate in another forum which is probably 50% women, all with their gender icons showing and I don't think being PMed just because you are a girl is an issue.

dejo
Nov 9, 2011, 04:14 PM
To be correct in grammar (he, she, him, her, etc.), would be the main thing for me.

You could use the singular they (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they).

Gender matters.
Care to explain why?

GGJstudios
Nov 9, 2011, 04:24 PM
Gender matters.
Q: What's the maximum RAM I can put in my MBP?
A: 8GB. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

Q: Do I have a virus on my Mac?
A: No. There are none. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

Q: Can I use a new Thunderbolt display with my iBook?
A: No. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

How does gender matter in any forum outside of Community Discussion or PRSI?

Nov 9, 2011, 04:31 PM

Q: What's the maximum RAM I can put in my MBP?
A: 8GB. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

Q: Do I have a virus on my Mac?
A: No. There are none. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

Q: Can I use a new Thunderbolt display with my iBook?
A: No. (Answer is the same, regardless of poster's gender)

How does gender matter in any forum outside of Community Discussion or PRSI?

Why does anything under the 'About Me' section matter? Why does 'Signature' matter? Why do 'Albums' matter? Why do 'Friends' matter? Why do 'Visitor Messages' matter?

I'm indifferent to the suggestion. As long as it's optional, as the OP suggested, I see no problem with it.

GGJstudios
Nov 9, 2011, 05:11 PM
Why does anything under the 'About Me' section matter?
It doesn't matter to me, unless it includes information which can help in determining if the poster has knowledge or experience that may better qualify them to answer some questions.
Why does 'Signature' matter?
It doesn't matter to me, unless it includes information about the computer they're using, to aid in giving relevant responses.
Why do 'Albums' matter?
They don't matter to me, and I don't recall ever seeing any profile with information there.
Why do 'Friends' matter?
They don't matter to me, except the fact that they assist in identifying posts in Forum Spy by those whose posts I have an interest in tracking.
Why do 'Visitor Messages' matter?
They don't matter to me at all.

FloatingBones
Nov 9, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm finding from a social aspect that it would be very beneficial to include the ability to designate your gender along with a very small gender icon that appears by your avatar.

Would you require that people specify their correct gender? If so, how would you enforce that?

Alaerian
Nov 9, 2011, 05:58 PM
Demi-God.
Demi-Goddess.

We already have enough gender designations. I don't want a gigantic pink neon sign under my avatar that proclaims the equivalent of "THIS IS A GIRL POSTING RIGHT HERE. RIGHT HERE, A GIRL. RIGHT HERE. HERE."

I see no reason why gender matters on this forum at all. This isn't match.com. Present the same thing to everyone, regardless of their genitalia.

FloatingBones
Nov 9, 2011, 06:36 PM
Demi-God.
Demi-Goddess.

So far I haven't noticed anyone's using the third (and sexless) designation of "Contributor".

Shrink
Nov 9, 2011, 06:37 PM

I completely agree.... and please, don't make it like facebook!

The above says it for me. If someone wants to refer to a poster, call them "poster", or if absolutely necessary "s/he" or "she/he".

I feel that gender is irrelevant, unless the poster wishes to reveal their gender. Just as affectional preference is irrelevant, unless the poster wishes to reveal it. Or, in Lee's case, wear a signboard and walk around Times Square. :D;):p

Tinmania
Nov 9, 2011, 06:43 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. No one is trying to make it into Facebook. The idea is preposterous.

And I have seen people, and have been myself, jumped on because they referred to, say, "StormDoctor" as a "he" and were wrong. I don't think "he/she," "they", "contributor" (really?) are as good and look too generic or PC to me.

People have already said optional, not mandatory. Why are people complaining about that? Don't like it? Don't use it.

Michael

srf4real
Nov 9, 2011, 06:47 PM
Doesn't matter to me either way. When I'm wondering who I may be dealing with in the forums I just play the right MacRumors card, and it all gets sorted out quickly.:)

Apple OC
Nov 9, 2011, 06:48 PM
the internet has enough "Ashley Madison"

I think the Demi/Demi Goddess is subtle and works .... this is a Mac forum where gender does not factor much. :apple:

Nov 9, 2011, 06:49 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. No one is trying to make it into Facebook. The idea is preposterous.

And I have seen people, and have been myself, jumped on because they referred to, say, "StormDoctor" as a "he" and were wrong. I don't think "he/she," "they", "contributor" (really?) are as good and look too generic or PC to me.

People have already said optional, not mandatory. Why are people complaining about that? Don't like it? Don't use it.

Michael

This appears to be the most over looked portion of the OP.

GGJstudios
Nov 9, 2011, 07:42 PM
So far I haven't noticed anyone's using the third (and sexless) designation of "Contributor".
Two have posted in this thread so far. There are also contributors who elect not to use any of those designations, preferring to keep their regular title.

Huntn
Nov 10, 2011, 07:41 AM

Care to explain why?

In a subtle way it alters how I respond to people. Picture yourself at a party with 100% guys or 100% gals. Would it change how you act in any way? (I'm not referring to seeking romance.) ;)

I'd like to emphasis this is just a suggestion. If the MR Gods decline, that's ok too. :)

r2shyyou
Nov 10, 2011, 07:52 AM
In a subtle way if alters how I respond to people.

While I did initially write that I wouldn't object to this so long as it was optional, and I maintain that sentiment, the above point is the one reason why I wouldn't want to see this implemented.

Responding differently based on one's sex is, in my opinion, unfair, regardless of whether or not the response contained roughly the same content.

And for the record, I very well may also respond differently if I knew the sex of the person I was responding to, whether subconsiously or not.

Just my opinion on this matter...

whooleytoo
Nov 10, 2011, 09:24 AM
Make it optional. Then anyone who complains is either:

a) A control freak who dislikes others having choice.

or

b) Someone involved in Macrumors, who's trying to avoid additional work.

:p

dukebound85
Nov 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
This appears to be the most over looked portion of the OP.

No it is not overlooked. I am just having a near impossible time figuring out why it would be useful in any significant way on a tech forum

I mean we could also add what one's sexuality is by the logic being presented and say that it being optional makes it ok. Like that, I fail to see how adding gender is even remotely relevant

Tilpots
Nov 10, 2011, 07:43 PM
Sex labeling is unnecessary. If you really want people to know you're a boy or a girl, add it to your sig. That option already exists.

Nov 10, 2011, 08:41 PM
No it is not overlooked. I am just having a near impossible time figuring out why it would be useful in any significant way on a tech forum

I mean we could also add what one's sexuality is by the logic being presented and say that it being optional makes it ok. Like that, I fail to see how adding gender is even remotely relevant

Why is having a Signature significant? Why is having Albums significant? Why is...? ;)

dukebound85
Nov 10, 2011, 08:44 PM
Why is having a Signature significant? Why is having Albums significant? Why is...? ;)

I see your point but how is that an argument for having more pointless things?

As Tilpots pointed out, the below can reflect one's gender no?
Sex labeling is unnecessary. If you really want people to know you're a boy or a girl, add it to your sig. That option already exists.

GGJstudios
Nov 10, 2011, 09:20 PM
You already asked that. I answered that earlier. There is nothing about a technical forum that is enhanced by knowing a poster's gender.

fun173
Nov 10, 2011, 09:38 PM

Agreed. Please, God, no gender id system. I can only imagine the comments.

Actually, this could get interesting. I'm all for it! :p

Doctor Q
Nov 11, 2011, 01:45 AM
The Biography field in your user profile (http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=editprofile) can be used for this information.

Examples: Black.Infinity and conch575. (Click "About Me")

annk
Nov 11, 2011, 07:31 AM

I really have a hard time using this. :( I run a small proofreading business, and as far as I and the publications my authors submit to are concerned, this is just plain wrong.

I'm fine with the gender neutrality here. If members want to make their genders known, they'll find a way to do so. I wouldn't however have a problem with a gender icon option however, as long as it's something the member can turn on or off him/herself.

Tinmania
Nov 11, 2011, 09:03 AM
I really have a hard time using this. :( I run a small proofreading business, and as far as I and the publications my authors submit to are concerned, this is just plain wrong.

I'm fine with the gender neutrality here. If members want to make their genders known, they'll find a way to do so. I wouldn't however have a problem with a gender icon option however, as long as it's something the member can turn on or off him/herself.
You would think this would be a no-brainer.

I also would not call the forums here 100% "technical" when "Perry. Winning" and other such non-tech subjects show up in new posts all of the time.

Michael

MacNut
Nov 11, 2011, 01:24 PM
We already have an obnoxious post rating system, what is the problem with adding an optional gender icon?

PatrickCocoa
Nov 11, 2011, 05:00 PM
I would like to add a "height" field. As someone of normal height (5' 6") I would like to identify posts by those of abnormal height (over, say, 5' 6"). That way I could exclude the mindless drivel spewed by the overtall resource-gobblers who have been preferred their entire lives, coasting along without effort and receiving the fruits of the hard work of us normals.

Nov 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
You already asked that. I answered that earlier. There is nothing about a technical forum that is enhanced by knowing a poster's gender.

It's a good thing that I wasn't replying to you then, isn't it? :rolleyes:

GoCubsGo
Nov 11, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'd prefer to keep my gender to myself.

Tinmania
Nov 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
I'd prefer to keep my gender to myself.

Good for you, sir.

Michael

RedTomato
Nov 17, 2011, 04:31 AM
I used to prefer gender neutrality on the internet. Now I've re-considered. Optionally showing gender does add to the social aspects of online life. MR is not a purely technical forum, though many people do use it like one, and are welcome to do so.

MR has a social side, and optionally showing the gender of one's online identity can be a valid part of it. I do request that an optional description / icon is not limited to just M/F, but also includes some other options for these who prefer not to be fitted into little binary boxes.

Arelunde
Nov 17, 2011, 10:25 AM
Personally, I think a gender ID is unnecessary. Would a response from a male carry more or less validity than from a female? Tech stuff is genderless, or should be.

Also, the conversations are supposed to be appropriate for everyone because they are electronically published.

If someone wants gender ID, add it to the avatar or personal file.

Tinmania
Nov 17, 2011, 10:31 AM
Also, the conversations are supposed to be appropriate for everyone because they are electronically published.

Oh now that we know they are "electronically published" it changes everything. Thanks for pointing that out.

Michael

robbieduncan
Nov 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
I suspect this would cause more issues than it solves. Also unless it's built into the forum software we'd have to add a "hack" just for this...

Aragornii
Nov 17, 2011, 11:27 AM
I see no reason why gender matters on this forum at all. This isn't match.com. Present the same thing to everyone, regardless of their genitalia.

Gender isn't a function of genitalia, it's a grammatical category. Sex, on the other hand, is a function of genitalia. So, for example, Chaz Bono's sex is female, but he elects a gender of male. In our society today it's considered good manners to address someone using the gender they identify with.

Many profile names make it obvious, but I don't see anything wrong with an option to identify your gender on your profile so you don't have the he/she confusion when people are having a conversation.

Alaerian
Nov 17, 2011, 12:42 PM
:rolleyes:

Semantics. Argue them all you want, but it still doesn't matter here. This is a tech forum that just happens to have some non-technical discussion - not match.com.

Pink∆Floyd
Nov 17, 2011, 02:54 PM
So you want to make it easier for you to PM the female members? :confused:

I see no need for this

Scepticalscribe
Nov 17, 2011, 03:10 PM
Personally, I see no need for this in MR.

Blue Velvet
Nov 17, 2011, 03:25 PM
Put either one of these in your sig if it's important.

♂ ♀

Or spend $25 on becoming a contributor where you can choose your title. No forum hacks necessary. Opt-in, rather than opt-out.

You're welcome.

flindet
Nov 17, 2011, 03:31 PM
There is no need for this because there are already optional methods to display your gender if you wish:

1. You could write a message declaring your gender.
2. You could make an avatar that indicates your gender.
3. You could add your gender to your signature.

So, I'm sorry, but this just seems silly to me.

As others stated earlier, this is a tech news site. In nearly all cases gender is irrelevant. If in the "community" forum it's important, ask the person or if it's important to someone that it be broadcast, they can add it to their signature or something.

These options have always been available and not used in this way. So, I'm guessing it's not important but to a handful of folks.

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk or anything. It just seems sort of silly. To me gender is no more important to using a Mac or an iPhone than race, nationality, your favorite food, or your favorite band is. It's nice and probably has some cultural relevance in the right circumstances. It's certainly important. But on a mac rumors site? I don't get it...

And furthermore, while gender may play important roles in romance or certain cultural influences, when it comes to geeking out about computers and gadgets, I'm guessing women would probably prefer you just treat them the same as you would any guy.

Alaerian
Nov 17, 2011, 03:32 PM
Or spend $25 on becoming a contributor where you can choose your title. No forum hacks necessary. Opt-in, rather than opt-out.
Exactly.

The functionality already exists on the forums. For $25/year, you can add your gender. Comes with the bonus of private forums and no ads, too!

MacDawg
Nov 17, 2011, 03:37 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be in favor of this any more than I would be of a race identifier

I realize the "optional" argument, but as stated, there are numerous ways to identify your gender (race, sexual preference, religion/creed, etc) without something "official"

Tilpots
Nov 17, 2011, 04:12 PM
Put either one of these in your sig if it's important.

♂ ♀

You're welcome.

I know this isn't the appropriate place, but I've been wanting to contact you about the 25th anniversary of your screen name. It was shot here in my town and they had exhibits, tours and a documentary about the film. If you're interested, go to www.starnewsonline.com and search for Blue Velvet for some of the stories our local paper did.

I was unable to PM you and I honestly thought you left the site. Glad youre still around. Take care.

Mods-if you must delete, maybe you could pass this along for me? Thanks.

UTclassof89
Nov 17, 2011, 04:30 PM
would MUCH rather see age designations (with the ability to hide sub-17 posts!)

(I know it won't happen, but I can dream....)

Blue Velvet
Nov 17, 2011, 04:39 PM
I know this isn't the appropriate place, but I've been wanting to contact you about the 25th anniversary of your screen name. It was shot here in my town and they had exhibits, tours and a documentary about the film. If you're interested, go to www.starnewsonline.com and search for Blue Velvet for some of the stories our local paper did.

I was unable to PM you and I honestly thought you left the site. Glad youre still around. Take care.

Bad penny, I turn up from time to time to cause trouble, taking many months between little bursts of posts. My PMs are shut off to all except mods and admins who would be unlikely to pass on your post. Many thanks for thinking off me and the link, Tilpots, I'll do some reading now while having a break. :)

Onwards with the gender thang...