Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone would be able to help, I'd be surprised if there wasn't any great advice. I've been toying with HandBrake trying to both convert DVD's to a quality format on my MBP, and also a few downloaded films (shhh). Each time I do this, I can't get a great quality out of them, and even with the d/l items they come up extremely blurry.

I suppose the question would be, what are the best settings for converting DVD's, etc. in order to have a near HD or 720p quality?:apple:

EvelynW

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Not sure what format you want to get, personally I use the Apple TV2 setting presents and the videos come out into 720p mode (if the DVD supports it).

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I am curious... how long does it take for your MBP to convert a DVD/movie with Apple TV2 settings?

It will take forever on my MBA. :p

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
I am curious... how long does it take for your MBP to convert a DVD/movie with Apple TV2 settings?

It will take forever on my MBA. :p

Mine started at 35 minutes, a downloaded file however. I have seen some of my attempts from DVD format go up to an hour, but then again, I never ended up keeping them and was clearly not doing something properly, so that could have an alternate effect.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
So it is finished, came out to a decent quality, not the greatest, at least there is no pixelation issues. A few questions though for when you convert to ATV2, do you have to change the Codec or frame rate for anything or should you just assume it's set to do the best possible conversion?

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
I use the Universal preset, I click it and don't change a thing. Shows come out looking awesome on my iP4S and iPad... Even still decent on my 50" TV running on a ATV 1 as well...

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
So it is finished, came out to a decent quality, not the greatest, at least there is no pixelation issues. A few questions though for when you convert to ATV2, do you have to change the Codec or frame rate for anything or should you just assume it's set to do the best possible conversion?
Well, remember that it can't come out any better than the source material. The aTV2 setting is very good. You can get better quality (on SD sources) by decreasing the Constant Quality setting to 19.25 or 19. It won't get much noticeably better below that, in my experience, but will be virtually indistinguishable from the source.

When converting video source material, as opposed to film source, you probably need to correct for interlacing. The best way to do this is to check the Detelecine and Decomb options (NOT the Deinterlace option). This will show a dramatic improvement for this type of material.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
I use the normal setting and have no issues using on my iPad or apple tv 2. Its quality is great. A 2hour movie will take no more than 90 minutes on my MBP to digitalize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.