PDA

View Full Version : Why do my jeans wear out so fast in the crotch?

acidfast7
Nov 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
I've found that I can extend the life of the jeans by a little while if I buy jeans that are raw and of a higher denim weight (usually Swedish and Japanese) but still them seem to go from new to hole in the less than 18 months.

G-star RAW can be OK, because they often have double-layered material in that region.

Maybe their duty cycle is too high, I only have 6 pairs (2 grey, 2 light blue and a 2 dark blue), maybe they get worn too much?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also found that if I freeze them to clean them, instead of washing them, not only do I save water, but the material tends to last longer. I usually just leave them in the -20C or -80C freezers at work.

rdowns
Nov 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
Wearing out on the crotch? Damn, you must be the Minnesota Fats of pocket pool.

imaketouchtheme
Nov 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
What type of washer do you use? Does it have an agitator and what material drum does it have?

acidfast7
Nov 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
What type of washer do you use? Does it have an agitator and what material drum does it have?

No agitator at all. Edelstahl (which translates as a high-quality stainless steel, i guess). It's a Miele that kinda looks like this:

Shaun.P
Nov 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
No agitator at all. Edelstahl (which translates as a high-quality stainless steel, i guess). It's a Miele that kinda looks like this:

Those are the best washing machines on the planet. Seriously.

acidfast7
Nov 15, 2011, 11:22 AM

I'm quite happy with the Miele stuff we own. It's not that much more than another equivalent but they tend to last and are entirely fixable, which is nice. We stack a heat pump dryer on top, which probably isn't the best for the longevity though.

firestarter
Nov 15, 2011, 11:23 AM

From the Steve Jobs biography:

(On deciding whether to get a vertical or horizontal washing machine)

"We ended up talking a lot about the design, but also about the values of our family. Did we care most about getting our wash done in an hour versus an hour and a half? Or did we care about our clothes feeling really soft and lasting longer? Did we care about using a quarter of the water? We spent about two weeks talking about this every night at the dinner table."

They ended up getting a Miele washer and dryer made in Germany.

"I got more thrill out of them than I have out of any piece of high tech in years," Jobs said.

pvmacguy
Nov 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
Are you walking strangely in them and stretching out the crotch? What line of work are you in and do you wear them regularly to work? I had a pair of levi's blow out in the crotch once and that's because they were 4 years old.

acidfast7
Nov 15, 2011, 11:42 AM
Are you walking strangely in them and stretching out the crotch? What line of work are you in and do you wear them regularly to work? I had a pair of levi's blow out in the crotch once and that's because they were 4 years old.

I work as a group leader (like Asst. Prof) at a university. Yeah, I wear them all the time. It seems to be a friction-based issue because you can watch them wear out over time. It may come from sitting at a desk actually, which is pretty lame.

Shrink
Nov 15, 2011, 11:52 AM
I work as a group leader (like Asst. Prof) at a university. Yeah, I wear them all the time. It seems to be a friction-based issue because you can watch them wear out over time. It may come from sitting at a desk actually, which is pretty lame.

My guess is that it's that barbed wire jock you're wearing.:eek::D

iStudentUK
Nov 15, 2011, 01:20 PM
I thought I was the only one!

Mine water out there every damn time! I end up sewing them back up to make them last longer! :D

acidfast7
Nov 15, 2011, 01:27 PM
I thought I was the only one!

Mine water out there every damn time! I end up sewing them back up to make them last longer! :D

I found someone that I see every few months, that lets me drop them off and I pick them up next time I see them.

And there's a place in NYC that patches them (http://denimtherapy.com/). My rips look like the one on the front page, and the prices are reasonable (damn Americans), but I don't want to deal with customs.

I just can't stand the cost versus how long they last before getting a hole.

Macky-Mac
Nov 15, 2011, 02:18 PM
...It seems to be a friction-based issue because you can watch them wear out over time. It may come from sitting at a desk actually, which is pretty lame.

maybe switching chairs would help? A seat cushion might help.

To me it seems like they're wearing out way too fast, especially since you cycle thru a number of them

pvmacguy
Nov 15, 2011, 02:30 PM
Maybe get a cheap pair 1 size larger to try and see if maybe they are too tight? And rubbing and stretching too much.

leekohler
Nov 15, 2011, 02:34 PM
maybe switching chairs would help? A seat cushion might help.

To me it seems like they're wearing out way too fast, especially since you cycle thru a number of them

The same thing happens to me. I think it is because of sitting at a desk chair. It happens to all my pants too.

dreary
Nov 15, 2011, 03:33 PM
Maybe get a cheap pair 1 size larger to try and see if maybe they are too tight? And rubbing and stretching too much.

this plus i recommend putting your jeans in a freezer to clean them. i prefer freezing my denim, it kills all the odor and bacteria yet the jeans remain practically brand new.

Vudoo
Nov 15, 2011, 03:37 PM
Designer jeans tend to wear out faster due to using softer cotton. I got holes in two pairs of Seven jeans and I just sit at a desk all day. Denim Therapy fixed them for about $40 a jean which is cheaper than $120+ for new ones.

KnightWRX
Nov 15, 2011, 03:57 PM
My jeans used to wear out at the crotch all the time too. Guess how I fixed the problem ? Yep, I stopped being fat.

leekohler
Nov 15, 2011, 04:23 PM
My jeans used to wear out at the crotch all the time too. Guess how I fixed the problem ? Yep, I stopped being fat.

I'm not fat. I'm in great shape. My jeans still wear out in that spot.

Flenz
Nov 15, 2011, 04:28 PM
because you've got sweaty balls...?!

Shrink
Nov 15, 2011, 04:31 PM

Listen, lee, we all know why your pants wear out there!:D ;)

iJohnHenry
Nov 15, 2011, 04:39 PM

Lap dances??

Apple OC
Nov 15, 2011, 04:42 PM
maybe you are carrying an unusually large package down there and the jeans are made for regular loads :apple:

iJohnHenry
Nov 15, 2011, 04:49 PM
"Maybe"?? http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/Inuendo.gif

Carlanga
Nov 15, 2011, 05:06 PM
I find the freezer method weird but interesting to try. Quick question though, does it remove any smell, dirtiness and stuff or just put them in the freezer after a days use that you didn't get anything dirty on them?

Now for my jeans breaking I have never had problems with them breaking/ripping until 3-5 years old. I use Woolite w/ normal washing cycle then I dry them at med-high temp in the dryer (I have balls on the dryer and I also use one sheet of softener)

swingerofbirch
Nov 15, 2011, 05:06 PM
I've found that I can extend the life of the jeans by a little while if I buy jeans that are raw and of a higher denim weight (usually Swedish and Japanese) but still them seem to go from new to hole in the less than 18 months.

G-star RAW can be OK, because they often have double-layered material in that region.

Maybe their duty cycle is too high, I only have 6 pairs (2 grey, 2 light blue and a 2 dark blue), maybe they get worn too much?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also found that if I freeze them to clean them, instead of washing them, not only do I save water, but the material tends to last longer. I usually just leave them in the -20C or -80C freezers at work.

I'd like to hear about freezing as a method of cleaning. Don't bacteria go dormant in the cold? I think they stop multiplying, but I don't think it kills them. Not that it really matters . . . I don't think anyone has ever gotten sick from a dirty pair of jeans.

Shrink
Nov 15, 2011, 05:33 PM
"Maybe"?? Image (http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/MouseMeat/Smilies/Inuendo.gif)

Braggart!:D

Who do you think you are - Milton Berle?:eek::p

tjsdaname
Nov 15, 2011, 05:36 PM
did not read all the posts, but do you ride a motorcycle??

I do and mine wear out pretty quick..

Nermal
Nov 15, 2011, 05:36 PM
The same thing happens to me. I think it is because of sitting at a desk chair. It happens to all my pants too.

Happens to mine too and I'm at a desk most of the day.

leekohler
Nov 15, 2011, 06:01 PM

Nice. I wish that were the reason. :)

Happens to mine too and I'm at a desk most of the day.

That does make a lot of sense. Before I worked in an office, it never happened.

Plutonius
Nov 15, 2011, 07:41 PM
It must be in your genes :D

Firestar
Nov 15, 2011, 07:42 PM
It must be in your genes :D
That is sooooooooo bad. ;)

acidfast7
Nov 16, 2011, 05:59 AM
I'd like to hear about freezing as a method of cleaning. Don't bacteria go dormant in the cold? I think they stop multiplying, but I don't think it kills them. Not that it really matters . . . I don't think anyone has ever gotten sick from a dirty pair of jeans.

Most bacteria will actually die because I use the -80C (-112 F) freezers at work. At that temperature, not many organisms are able to tolerate the cell interior freezing. Sure, some may survive, but only a tiny fraction of initial starting number.

It really reduces the wear from the washer and dryer. Before I did this I would wear them 8 to 10 times between washing and they would stay clean, however, they'd wear out in 8-12 months.

The freezer works, they don't smell anymore after a week in there, but I still get the holes.

I never really seen my jeans visibly dirty.

KnightWRX
Nov 16, 2011, 06:02 AM

Maybe it's time to stop the squats a bit then. Fat ain't the only thing that gives you big thighs ;)

acidfast7
Nov 16, 2011, 06:05 AM
Maybe it's time to stop the squats a bit then. Fat ain't the only thing that gives you big thighs ;)

I should say that I'm not fat, perhaps a bit thin (6'2"/165), and the jeans tend to be of the slim cut variety.

KnightWRX
Nov 16, 2011, 06:05 AM
That does make a lot of sense. Before I worked in an office, it never happened.

I've worked in an office for close to 14 years now. My jeans don't do that anymore.

Guys. It's friction from your huge thighs. Either because you're fat or because you do too many squats/cycling or something.

Lean out those thighs and your jeans won't do that anymore.