PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Drops to $89.99 at Amazon and Best Buy

MacRumors
Nov 15, 2011, 02:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/15/apple-tv-drops-to-89-99-at-amazon-and-best-buy/)

As noticed (http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/15/amazon-drops-the-price-of-apple-tv-and-calls-it-the-2010-model/) by 9to5Mac, both Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001FA1NK0/ref=nosim/linkcode-20) and Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+TV%26%23174%3B/1331156.p?id=1218251780234&skuId=1331156) have dropped their prices on the Apple TV by $10 to $89.99. Interestingly, Amazon has also added a "2010" designation to its Apple TV title, leading to speculation that the retailers may be making room for a potential update to the device.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/apple_tv_amazon_89_99.jpg
Third-party retailers are, however, usually not particularly accurate sources of information on new product releases given that Apple does not generally keep them apprised of its product plans. But despite that caveat and the fact that mid-November is beyond Apple's usual timeframe for new product introductions ahead of the holiday shopping season, the developments may spark some interest among those who have been eagerly awaiting word of a new Apple TV model.

With iOS 5 released back in June opening the door to a 1080p Apple TV (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/09/ios-5-opens-door-to-true-1080p-apple-tv/) and references to a new Apple TV model (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/08/next-generation-appletv-references-found-in-ios-5-but-when/) showing up in iOS 5, it seems that Apple may unsurprisingly be working on a hardware update for the Apple TV, but the timeframe for such a release is unknown. Apple is also said to be working on a Siri-enabled television set (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/27/apple-looking-to-launch-siri-enabled-television-set-by-2013/), but that product is reportedly not set to debut until late 2012 or 2013 and it is unclear how that product would affect or relate to the Apple TV set-top box.

Article Link: Apple TV Drops to $89.99 at Amazon and Best Buy (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/15/apple-tv-drops-to-89-99-at-amazon-and-best-buy/)

LimeiBook86
Nov 15, 2011, 02:26 PM
Not a bad price a tall. $10 off is still $10 off! :D

Makes me wonder about Apple's own TV rumors, but it may be a bit early for that. ;) Still not a bad gift for the holidays! I scored one for $79 new off eBay last year for Christmas and my Dad has been enjoying it ever since.

Unggoy Murderer
Nov 15, 2011, 02:27 PM
Damn, I just bought an Apple TV as well. It's a brilliant bit of kit as it is now, will look forward to seeing what develops =]

CylonGlitch
Nov 15, 2011, 02:29 PM
Apple TV 2012 here we come! :D

8CoreWhore
Nov 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
Nice. Great price and no tax.

Can't wait for iTV. :)

scott911
Nov 15, 2011, 02:41 PM
I like this!

I'm a "original" user because I need both digital and analog output...
So, I'm hoping the new unit gives me that flexibility.

SandboxGeneral
Nov 15, 2011, 02:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looks like good news, if the rumor pans out of course. I was just thinking of adding a small tv monitor to the kitchen with another ATV2. I shall wait a bit longer and see what develops.

andylyon
Nov 15, 2011, 02:54 PM
Nice. Great price and no tax.

Can't wait for iTV. :)

It won't be called an iTV, defo not here in the UK!

DustinT
Nov 15, 2011, 02:55 PM
My old ATV will make a lovely Airplay box for the bedroom.

tropic10
Nov 15, 2011, 03:02 PM
I think the release of a 1080p A5 Apple TV is imminent. I don't expect any other significant new features though.

Diiiiips
Nov 15, 2011, 03:04 PM
Can people not envisage the new version of this running Divx and running like a WD TV? So that you can plug a USB Hard Drive in and run films off that?

If so then I would order one straight away.

monkeylui
Nov 15, 2011, 03:07 PM
Can people not envisage the new version of this running Divx and running like a WD TV? So that you can plug a USB Hard Drive in and run films off that?

AirPlay helps with this if you have an iOs device. In fact I'm streaming an MKV right now & typing this very message right now on my iPad. I don't see it any different than copying the file to the HDD & then moving it over to the apple tv. But of course if you don't have an iOS device then what does it matter.

Kid A
Nov 15, 2011, 03:12 PM

don't hold your breath. :rolleyes:

User3977
Nov 15, 2011, 03:15 PM
those of you that stream from ipad or itunes to this on a tv how well does it work. is there much lag? also does it matter if you stream from a pc itunes or mac itunes? i have an ever growing dvd collection and i would love to put it on my pc and just stream without handling disks and worrying about the kids scratching them up more than they have a few already. $10 off would make it worth it vs buying new dvds.

tarasis
Nov 15, 2011, 03:22 PM
Damn, I just bought an Apple TV as well. It's a brilliant bit of kit as it is now, will look forward to seeing what develops =]

Same here, and my 14 day return window ended on Saturday just gone. Typical!

Tastic Bycrom
Nov 15, 2011, 03:22 PM
"Siri, play the newest episode of The Walking Dead." :p

BillyBobBongo
Nov 15, 2011, 03:24 PM
Chances are that it's more an action to push the Apple TV during the Christmas period than preapring for a new model.

Diiiiips
Nov 15, 2011, 03:35 PM
AirPlay helps with this if you have an iOs device. In fact I'm streaming an MKV right now & typing this very message right now on my iPad. I don't see it any different than copying the file to the HDD & then moving it over to the apple tv. But of course if you don't have an iOS device then what does it matter.

Sounds a bit of a long process though. Can you explain it in a bit more detail? Do you put the MKV on the iPad and play it through an app?

tarasis
Nov 15, 2011, 03:57 PM
Sounds a bit of a long process though. Can you explain it in a bit more detail? Do you put the MKV on the iPad and play it through an app?

One thing I do, is run ServerToMe on my MacMini and Stream to the iPad 2 using the StreamToMe app, which then forwards it to the AppleTV via AirPlay and yes you can use the iPad at the same time. Works a treat and looks great.

The BBC iPlayer (Global) is a bit more annoying, it uses AirPlay BUT if you device falls asleep then it stops transmitting (which StreamToMe doesn't suffer from) or if you switch away from the app it also stops transmitting. Really frustrating.

slu
Nov 15, 2011, 04:02 PM
I think the release of a 1080p A5 Apple TV is imminent. I don't expect any other significant new features though.

I was going to disagree with this comment because of the lack of any available 1080p content on iTunes, but the fact that video shot on the iPhone 4S cannot play on the current AppleTV without converting (or using Airplay) is a pretty telling sign to me that it will get updated.

I had this exact same problem when the iPhone 4 came out and the original AppleTV I have would not play video shot on the iPhone 4 without converting it. Then the AppleTV was updated not long after.

luckysob
Nov 15, 2011, 04:02 PM
those of you that stream from ipad or itunes to this on a tv how well does it work. is there much lag? also does it matter if you stream from a pc itunes or mac itunes? i have an ever growing dvd collection and i would love to put it on my pc and just stream without handling disks and worrying about the kids scratching them up more than they have a few already. $10 off would make it worth it vs buying new dvds.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100

It works really well. We have only had ATV2 since early October, and it has been a great way to get iTunes to the TV, or YouTube to the TV, or Vimeo to the TV, or iPhoto to the TV, etc....

NameUndecided
Nov 15, 2011, 04:07 PM
So I imagine that I can just use Air Video (tarasis was saying that he/she uses StreamToMe) to stream a video to my iPad from my MacBook, and AirPlay that AirVideo stream from my iPad to an Apple TV?

Unless there are some complications with that idea, I really think that I'm going to go ahead and get an ATV by the end of the year.

D.T.
Nov 15, 2011, 04:41 PM
Now with our music in iCloud/Match, tons of videos in our iTunes and the ability to quickly display pics/videos from the iPhone, I'm definitely ready.

I've kind of been keeping an eye out for a good deal on Fleabay (or even an Apple refurb), but with Amazon, no tax, no shipping and it's here in two days, brand new.

slu
Nov 15, 2011, 05:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So I imagine that I can just use Air Video (tarasis was saying that he/she uses StreamToMe) to stream a video to my iPad from my MacBook, and AirPlay that AirVideo stream from my iPad to an Apple TV?

Unless there are some complications with that idea, I really think that I'm going to go ahead and get an ATV by the end of the year.

I do this with Air Video and confirm it works. Air Video supported AirPlay before mirroring, I believe.

monkeylui
Nov 15, 2011, 05:54 PM
One thing I do, is run ServerToMe on my MacMini and Stream to the iPad 2 using the StreamToMe app, which then forwards it to the AppleTV via AirPlay and yes you can use the iPad at the same time. Works a treat and looks great.

The BBC iPlayer (Global) is a bit more annoying, it uses AirPlay BUT if you device falls asleep then it stops transmitting (which StreamToMe doesn't suffer from) or if you switch away from the app it also stops transmitting. Really frustrating.

Yeah it's just that easy. Once you have serve to me running on your computer of choice and have the folders listed it's easy. Stream to me app is on the iPad and you can read the folders you have set up with serve to me. So I just browse to the folder with the MKV or any file, and then play it. My apple TV will then just start right up. It's pretty cool and really again is very simple.

----------

Yeah I'm sure air video works. I like stream to me because I can also use it for music. So I can listen to music or watch video. But yeah air video is a good app that should stream via airplay.

pheenix11
Nov 15, 2011, 06:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPhone3,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/2; FBCR/AT&T;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/2.0])

Why are you guys using 3rd party software to stream something from your MacBook to your iPad and then air playing it from your iPad to Apple TV when Apple TV will connect directly to your iTunes library and play it?

NameUndecided
Nov 15, 2011, 06:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPhone3,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0.1;FBSS/2; FBCR/AT&T;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/2.0])

Why are you guys using 3rd party software to stream something from your MacBook to your iPad and then air playing it from your iPad to Apple TV when Apple TV will connect directly to your iTunes library and play it?

Because the reason I use AirVideo is so that I can play all of the other video formats that iTunes doesn't support. Another option that I'll be researching is Plex, so I don't have to use the iPad as an in-between.

Thank you monkelui and slu for confirmation on that. With my iPad and also [possibly] installing Plex on the Apple TV, this should be a really worthwhile $90 spent.

monkeylui
Nov 15, 2011, 07:13 PM
Because the reason I use AirVideo is so that I can play all of the other video formats that iTunes doesn't support. Another option that I'll be researching is Plex, so I don't have to use the iPad as an in-between.

Thank you monkelui and slu for confirmation on that. With my iPad and also [possibly] installing Plex on the Apple TV, this should be a really worthwhile $90 spent.

Yes exactly. Stream to me will stream any file. Most of the kids movies are also in the proper iTunes format, so for that yes, my daughter can connect to my itunes library and watch all her disney and pixar movies. But for some TV shows that are acquired through alter-flix, I can just use stream to me and don't have to do any encoding work.

You're welcome also for the info. It really does work flawless.

Kadman
Nov 15, 2011, 07:53 PM
I have a Discover card, so Apple TV 2 has always been $95. This deal now brings it down to $85.49. Bestbuy.com purchases get you 5% back. ;)

Demosthenes X
Nov 15, 2011, 08:17 PM
I wonder if a Siri-enabled :apple:TV (set-top box) might precede the full-out :apple:TV (set). That would certainly be interesting...

I'm still not sure about this Apple TV set concept. A lot of people already own TVs, and they tend not to replace them very often. I have trouble seeing even Apple made headway in that market.

(Though to be fair, the same argument could have been made of cell phones in 2007, and that turned out pretty well, so...).

rocknblogger
Nov 15, 2011, 08:43 PM
Any of you guys think we might see an updated Apple TV by Christmas? I think it's doubtful but when you consider the 1080p capabilities of the 4S what better gift to give or get for Christmas?

I've been holding off on buying it hoping a new version comes out soon.

jdusoccer12
Nov 15, 2011, 09:05 PM
I would love a new one more like the Logitech revue so you can run your cable through the box and have the box up at all times so you don't have to change the input just to AirPlay a video you want to show the family. I think if apple did something like Google TV, of course they would do it way better, it would be awesome.

TonyC28
Nov 15, 2011, 09:08 PM
"Siri, play the newest episode of The Walking Dead." :p

Siri's response: "OK. That will be two dollars and ninety-nine cents."

The content is too expensive for me. But I hope when Steve said he "cracked it" that will change.

justperry
Nov 15, 2011, 11:42 PM
I would love to have one but the problem is I think its still very much an US content based electronic device.

I have the AppleTv 1 which I like much was it not that it can't play 1080p but at least it has on board hard disk.
Strange thing is though is that My LG says its 1080p, set the resolution to 1080p and if I play a 1080p movie it says 1080p, probably converted.
Als nowadays there are more and more Tv sets which you can directly stream to, mine is a LG and plex is running on it, bad thing though is that plex does not run on My G4, time to get a new Laptop. :D

APlotdevice
Nov 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
Amazon has also marked down all of the iPods (including the touch).

lfc
Nov 16, 2011, 03:44 AM
Is this the Apple TV 2 on sale, or the 1st gen ATV?

monkeylui
Nov 16, 2011, 05:19 AM
I would love a new one more like the Logitech revue so you can run your cable through the box and have the box up at all times so you don't have to change the input just to AirPlay a video you want to show the family. I think if apple did something like Google TV, of course they would do it way better, it would be awesome.

i don't have cable s the apple tv works perfect. i just wish it also had hulu +.

monkeylui
Nov 16, 2011, 07:47 AM
Is this the Apple TV 2 on sale, or the 1st gen ATV?

Apple TV 2.

I was already thinking of buying another one for the bedroom to use for the mirroring that I was mentioning previously in this thread.

So I did buy one now. Great price and still does a lot for such a little device.

Scarpad
Nov 16, 2011, 08:41 AM
Even if you are going to use ATV as nothing more than a Airplay conduit its a great deal

parasitius
Nov 16, 2011, 08:50 AM
Siri's response: "OK. That will be two dollars and ninety-nine cents."

The content is too expensive for me. But I hope when Steve said he "cracked it" that will change.

Strongly agree. Though Amazon is also out of their minds with $3.99 rentals.

Who can afford that when it takes $.25 gas to go to the video store and get 2 DVD for 5 nights for $1.

Mind you, if it is TV series -- 1 DVD can have 5 episodes

lfc
Nov 16, 2011, 09:02 AM
Apple TV 2.

I was already thinking of buying another one for the bedroom to use for the mirroring that I was mentioning previously in this thread.

So I did buy one now. Great price and still does a lot for such a little device.

Thanks!

meatling
Nov 16, 2011, 09:27 AM
Not sure if this is relevant. Have 2 already and was looking for a third. Bought the other two as refurbs or 85.00. Have looked for three weeks or so and nada. Also apparently there is a shortage in non us apple stores. Maybe this is signaling a refresh. Hope so. Would love a 1080p for my dedicated home theater (122 inch screen) with tru-hd sound like blu-ray. Pon a 122 screen there is a difference between 720 and 1080. Huge!!!

RuffNight911
Nov 16, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm still not sure about this Apple TV set concept. A lot of people already own TVs, and they tend not to replace them very often. I have trouble seeing even Apple made headway in that market.

(Though to be fair, the same argument could have been made of cell phones in 2007, and that turned out pretty well, so...).

+1.

Maybe if Apple offered a subsidized TV with a cable provider they could make some headway? Not sure about the possibility of this happening after learning Steve wanted to completely bypass cellphone carriers, but I know I would buy one for a subsidized price :D

TonyC28
Nov 17, 2011, 11:11 AM
Strongly agree. Though Amazon is also out of their minds with $3.99 rentals.

Who can afford that when it takes $.25 gas to go to the video store and get 2 DVD for 5 nights for $1.

Mind you, if it is TV series -- 1 DVD can have 5 episodes

I've tried justifying getting an Apple TV but I just can't see it being beneficial. Especially considering that shows on premium channels (Dexter and Homeland to name a couple) are not even available until months after they air. I can see for renting movies if you like the convenience of not having to go to a video store or Redbox, but if you have a Redbox nearby you just can't beat getting a movie for $1.

Andronicus
Nov 20, 2011, 01:43 AM

I stream from my 4S to Apple Tv. It works great no lag and once it starts playing you can exit the video on your iPhone and surf the net, check email, or play games whilst streaming.

Herdfan
Nov 20, 2011, 09:00 AM
I've tried justifying getting an Apple TV but I just can't see it being beneficial.

I stream from my 4S to Apple Tv. It works great

This what we use ours for as well. Take video on the phone, play it on the TV in just a few seconds. No downloading it to iTunes etc. Just play it.

I need a second one, but will wait to see if this refresh thing is coming.