PDA

View Full Version : They Just Work

Cooknn
May 19, 2005, 02:57 PM
I just got a call from the ex - she needed tech support. Here's the conversation.

Her: I can't get my new digital camera to show up on my PC! I installed all the software and it just won't work - I'm so frustrated!
Me: Take it into Zack's room (my son) and plug the camera's USB cable into his iMac and watch what happens.
Her: It works! Why doesn't it work on my PC?!

LMAO :D Aren't Mac's great?! I bought that iMac for my son to rescue him from the world of PC's. I think I delivered him to the World of Warcraft though :eek:

shadowmoses
May 19, 2005, 03:06 PM
Good on you, many of us take the world of mac for granted but all it takes is a few hours using a windows PC to remember we are in heaven

wdlove
May 19, 2005, 03:36 PM
So is your wife now considering a switch? At least no she sees the Mac side. ;)

Cooknn
May 19, 2005, 03:43 PM
So is your wife now considering a switch? At least now she sees the Mac side. ;)That would be my ex-wife :p God knows I give her enough money to afford a new Mac. I doubt if she'll ever buy one though. The box she has now was my old PC before I switched. More than she can use - it's a dual 2.4Ghz Xeon. Here I was thinking I'd be set for a few years with that thing, then Apple marketing got into my brain and convinced me to leave the dark side no matter what the cost :eek:

Patmian212
May 19, 2005, 04:16 PM
I also love the fact most of the drivers needed with any device come with the .1 .2 .3 .4 updates :D

ham_man
May 19, 2005, 04:35 PM
Good on you, many of us take the world of mac for granted but all it takes is a few hours using a windows PC to remember we are in heaven
So true, so true. Last night, I was trying to get my brother's Dell to go with our network, as he had been off at college for a year and needed to get reconnected. Anyhoo, I spent about 3 fruitless hours trying to get his computer online...on the Mac, I was online within 3 minutes of power up...:rolleyes:

Maxiseller
May 19, 2005, 04:59 PM
It's true.

We have one Windows PC and three macs in our house. Guess which one can't easily jump on the network? I wouldn't mind, but it's just a Belkin router. Not even an Apple branded product.

When I got the router, I literally opened up my ibook and it was instantly working. No settings, nothing. I can share printers, files accross my other macs eveything! The PC? Well, two PCI Cards later, and several tech support calls I can get it on the internet. Sharing printers? PAH! :rolleyes:

mkrishnan
May 19, 2005, 05:06 PM
When I got the router, I literally opened up my ibook and it was instantly working. No settings, nothing. I can share printers, files accross my other macs eveything! The PC? Well, two PCI Cards later, and several tech support calls I can get it on the internet. Sharing printers? PAH! :rolleyes:

What were the two PCI cards, out of curiousity? Wireless or wired? Anyway, glad it worked out for you in the end.

Balin64
May 19, 2005, 05:11 PM
I just got a call from the ex - she needed tech support. Here's the conversation.

Her: I can't get my new digital camera to show up on my PC! I installed all the software and it just won't work - I'm so frustrated!
Me: Take it into Zack's room (my son) and plug the camera's USB cable into his iMac and watch what happens.
Her: It works! Why doesn't it work on my PC?!

LMAO :D Aren't Mac's great?! I bought that iMac for my son to rescue him from the world of PC's. I think I delivered him to the World of Warcraft though :eek:

Wow. You're a nice guy. If MY ex called me for tech support I would tell her where to shove her digital camera... we did not leave on the best terms.

But... you have your son to worry about. Good thing you got him a Mac! Now tell him to stop gaming and start reading books! ;)

wnameth
May 19, 2005, 05:11 PM
It's true.

We have one Windows PC and three macs in our house. Guess which one can't easily jump on the network? I wouldn't mind, but it's just a Belkin router. Not even an Apple branded product.

i have almost the exact situation, my sister comes back from U of Guelph, and the stupid dell still isn't even on our D-link (not mac base station) router, bill gates is a moron, it is a fact of life!

Cooknn
May 19, 2005, 05:23 PM
Wow. You're a nice guy. If MY ex called me for tech support I would tell her where to shove her digital camera... we did not leave on the best terms.

But... you have your son to worry about. Good thing you got him a Mac! Now tell him to stop gaming and start reading books! ;)I'm lucky - my son's a 4.0. Finishing his freshman year in high school with the second highest gpa out of 600+ students in his class :eek: I don't mind if he games when he wants to. He always gets his school work done first!

Patmian212
May 20, 2005, 12:16 AM
I'm lucky - my son's a 4.0. Finishing his freshman year in high school with the second highest gpa out of 600+ students in his class :eek: I don't mind if he games when he wants to. He always gets his school work done first!

I wish I was like that, I have a 2.8 GPA and I hardly ever do school work but when I do its almost always and A+, I know I should do better but I'm too lazy. I guess I willl have to try again next year.

Dr. Dastardly
May 20, 2005, 12:42 AM
I wish I was like that, I have a 2.8 GPA and I hardly ever do school work but when I do its almost always and A+, I know I should do better but I'm too lazy. I guess I willl have to try again next year.
That sounds like me when I was in school, and look at me now! I DRIVE the school bus!

Patmian212
May 20, 2005, 10:35 AM
That sounds like me when I was in school, and look at me now! I DRIVE the school bus!

I better start doing better befor I end up like you ;) (joking)

ChemicalGeoff
May 21, 2005, 04:25 PM
Out of interest i assume the numbers your referring to ar SAT scores? What's good and bad in those... always wondered, being british n all... :confused:

smokeyrabbit
May 21, 2005, 04:43 PM
Out of interest i assume the numbers your referring to ar SAT scores? What's good and bad in those... always wondered, being british n all... :confused:

SAT scores are out of 1600 points.
GPA=grade point average; ie. A=4.0 B=3.0 C=2.0 D=1.0. Usually weighted so a 4 hour class counts more than a 1 hour class.

DeSnousa
May 21, 2005, 04:47 PM
I and one of my mates brought a laptop to school. I plugged in the cord and almost instantly a message on my screen said that i was connected to sever something or other and that i was connected to the net. Meanwhile my friend was trying to discover the network.

Edit- Thought of a second story. When i got adsl my isp provides a installation cd. I spent 3 hours or so struggling with it. I gave up when i realized that i should use internet connect (previously used with dial up). All i needed was to select the right connection method followed my my username and password and i was up on the net in 4min.

Cooknn
May 21, 2005, 04:54 PM
GPA=grade point average; ie. A=4.0 B=3.0 C=2.0 D=1.0. Usually weighted so a 4 hour class counts more than a 1 hour class.GPA's are different now. When I went to school (many moons ago) 4.0 was the highest you could get - indictating straight A's. The valdedictorian at my son's school this year had a gpa over 5.0 :cool:

mkrishnan
May 21, 2005, 05:05 PM
GPA's are different now. When I went to school (many moons ago) 4.0 was the highest you could get - indictating straight A's. The valdedictorian at my son's school this year had a gpa over 5.0 :cool:

I guess a lot of schools now have grade point values over 4 for one reason or another...I think sometimes they give you extra points for an honors class or weight an A+ as a 5 instead of a 4? Often when schools do this, they either provide a standard weight average on the 4 point scale or else colleges will make you calculate such a thing anyway, since these systems are not uniform.

The University of Michigan gave A+'s but only weighted them as higher grade points for grad students. And sadly I got tons of A+'s as an undergrad and none in grad school there! :rolleyes: Speaking of which, there are also other grade point systems that are used here and there. U-M's undergrad system was the standard 4 point scale, but their grad system was on a 9 point scale, with an A+ = 9, A = 8, A- = 7, ..., IIRC.

dotdotdot
May 21, 2005, 05:21 PM

Not anymore... Minus anologies, plus written part... 2400 points, 2100 is now the standard for a great college

smokeyrabbit
May 21, 2005, 06:16 PM
Not anymore... Minus anologies, plus written part... 2400 points, 2100 is now the standard for a great college

Make me look like an old fart!

Back in my day, we had SAT's out of 1600 and ACT's out of 34! And we loved it! Uphill both ways in the snow etc...

mkrishnan
May 21, 2005, 06:27 PM
Make me look like an old fart!

Back in my day, we had SAT's out of 1600 and ACT's out of 34! And we loved it! Uphill both ways in the snow etc...

Back in my day, you had to fill in the little bubbles on the multiple choice form with a chisel!!! ;) :eek: :D

*loves computerized adaptive testing*