PDA

View Full Version : Apple to bring back updated iMac G4 form factor!

jessearl
May 19, 2005, 08:34 PM
Well, a guy can dream can't he?

http://www.ps-elettronica.it/media/apple/imacg4_20.jpg

noel4r
May 19, 2005, 08:46 PM
If you like the old iMac G4, you can still buy them. It's just that they have G4's in them....

Sun Baked
May 19, 2005, 08:49 PM

http://www.ps-elettronica.it/media/apple/imacg4_20.jpgYes, but they usually label dreams like that: fantasy, nightmare, drug induced psychosis, ravings of a lunatic, etc. depending on how they relate to reality and your version of reality.

cooknwitha
May 19, 2005, 08:56 PM
I admit it's because I have one but I prefer the G4 design. I like they were such a brilliant design and very unique. I think the G5s looks like a pizza box on a tilt.

DickArmAndHarT
May 19, 2005, 09:00 PM
Im with you, i still think the imac g5 is fugly, and want to get a original imac and g4, hell a little collection, but as of now im damn poor and have to work on getting one new machine to work

isaacc7
May 19, 2005, 09:01 PM
I admit it's because I have one but I prefer the G4 design. I like they were such a brilliant design and very unique. I think the G5s looks like a pizza box on a tilt.

... I've always thought that the G4 imacs were the ugliest computers ever. The screen on a stalk never looked right, it always looked temporary to me. The new iMacs are quite a bit better IMHO, I'd never get a G4 styled one...

Isaac

iPoster
May 19, 2005, 09:31 PM
Just ignore the heathens my precious...

*pets his iMac G4*

Preciousssssss....

:D

cooknwitha
May 19, 2005, 10:05 PM
... I've always thought that the G4 imacs were the ugliest computers ever. The screen on a stalk never looked right, it always looked temporary to me.

That's its face! It has a face and a body and a neck. It's a character in itself. I call my computer 'Brian'.

After G
May 19, 2005, 10:07 PM
Actually I liked the curvature of the G4. I remember someplace I read that Macs had a facelike design so that they would be inviting to the user. The G5 is too boxy for me; it seems like a hack job on the mounting. Then again I don't really like the Mac Mini either. Seems to be styled like the iMac G5.

I think the G4 design with G5/Mac Mini/eMac (!) plastic would really appeal to me. I also think they would have reused the G4 design if they could find a good way to cool the G5 without making it ridiculously noisy.
Well, a guy can dream can't he? Yea, that would be awesome. A G5 iLamp :-D

JeffTL
May 19, 2005, 10:19 PM
I frankly like the design of both -- but I can see why they changed it for the G5. It's cheaper to build (didn't the arm alone cost Apple upwards of $100 per unit?) and the savings are passed on to the consumer in the form of lower prices. Further, they are almost as easy to repair as Power Macs are, with the removable back; if your hard drive goes bad, just plop an iMac G5 on a cloth and turn a couple screws and you can pop in a SATA drive from CompUSA (or AppleCare) where the old one was. With an iMac G4, it's either repairs that aren't really user-servicable, longer waits at the repair shop (I suppose) than with an easier-to-open computer, or mail-in.

Etrain
May 19, 2005, 10:19 PM
Oh I love the look of the G5. I won't poke fun at the G4 because I think they are also cute, but I like the look of my baby just fine! The iMac G5 is very simple and most of the time the most simple solution is the best. :)

chipz
May 19, 2005, 10:20 PM
After G has the right idea. Apple should bring back the G4 iMac design updated with the G5 hardware. It can be done. The G4 form factor made it easier to adjust the monitor to individual tastes. The G5's adjustments are limited. I hope Apple is listening. I'm usually for forging ahead in progress, but I think Apple took a step backward here.

tekno_geek911
May 19, 2005, 10:55 PM
I like the iMac G4 design a little more than the G5,but I love how the G5 is so easy to upgrade.
If you want G4 functionality on the new iMac's you could always buy the iNeck (http://www.iNeck.com)

DakotaGuy
May 19, 2005, 11:11 PM
I think the iMac G5 design is a lot cheaper and simplier to build. You will probably never see them go back to that complex of a product at the price points they have on them now. There is a reason that the iMacs prices went down even though their performance went up. It costs a lot less to build the current iMac, and when it comes to getting switchers that more important then just a fancy chrome arm. I thought the old G4 design was real cool, but I like my G5. I don't think you will ever see the old design back. My guess is Apple is making more profit on the G5 even though they charge less. I bet it is a lot cheaper to build.

Koodauw
May 19, 2005, 11:39 PM
I wish they would too. I was just looking on eBay thinking how nice a 17'' G4 iMac would look in my living room, just sitting there with the screen saver on.

Well back to dreamin

BenAKL
May 19, 2005, 11:46 PM
Personally I like both designs. When I first saw the iMac G4, I was pretty wow'd by it and simply had to have something "mac". When I found out how much it cost, I relegated to getting myself an iPod instead :D But then, a few months later, it just wasn't enough. So I got myself an eMac which served me very well for almost a year. And an iBook 1.2 G4 six months later. I just got myself an iMac 1.8 SuperDrive, to replace my eMac, and totally love it!

Either ways, I love both designs. It is just a matter of price. If both form factors were offered at the same specs and pricing, I would choose the one that looks like a table lamp :D but then again, the new one goes well with my iPod. :rolleyes:

sw1tcher
May 20, 2005, 03:51 AM
That's its face! It has a face and a body and a neck. It's a character in itself. I call my computer 'Brian'.
You're right (http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/imac_window_m480.mov) about the face, body, neck thing.

sw1tcher
May 20, 2005, 03:55 AM
I prefer the iLamp too :D though the current iMac isn't that bad either. Just too much white surrounding the display. I' much prefer a thin bezel.

The iMac should've been what the mac mini is, a non integrated/non all-in-one computer, but with more expansion slots. A mini G5 tower of sorts. I know, I know, I'm dreaming.

cooknwitha
May 20, 2005, 04:19 AM
You're right (http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/imac_window_m480.mov) about the face, body, neck thing.

Hehehehe. I like that. I'd never seen that ad before. For me, they just screamed "Face and body!" so their marketing worked on me.

The one thing that is deceptive about the G4s is how heavy the base is! I've yet to know one person who's tried to pick one up without going "Ergh, that's heavier than I thought!"

newton213
May 20, 2005, 04:56 AM
The base is actually made heavier on purpose, to give balance and to keep the display from tilting the whole computer over. The 20 incher was even heavier, not just because of the bigger screen, but because of the brick of lead they tossed in the base for ballast. If somebody wants to hunt for the specs, compare the 15 or 17 inch to the 20 inch. And Apple getting rid of that expensive (but ultra cool) swing arm on the iMac was really about costs. They put that industry standard mounting bracket thing on the back of the new iMac, so their logic is we'll get rid of this spendy arm and make the computer cheaper for everybody to buy, but if you really want the functionality, you'll spend the extra dough for a third-party solution. Same with their new cinema displays, they use the same type of bracket on the back, so you can mount them all on your wall or those cool custom stands companies are making now. Here's the adapter bracket from the Apple Store:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9755G/A

minimax
May 20, 2005, 05:00 AM
The imac g4 is still around, alas beheaded.

wrldwzrd89
May 20, 2005, 05:01 AM
Sure, the iMac G4 was a great design. I should know - I have one. I think the iMac G5 design is equally great, but for different reasons. Even the iMac G3 had some appeal to me (although the iMac G4 and iMac G5 are clearly superior designs). I think this means I'll like any iMac design from Apple.

JonMaker
May 20, 2005, 06:32 AM
I personally love my iMac G4, and think it's a great design. I agree that the G5s are fugly.
My huge problem with the G4 is that it is incredibly difficult to move around (i.e. network night) and if my fan goes, I'll be up to my eyeballs in thermal jelly and torx screwdrivers.
The iMac G5 is just so much more utilitarian; the G4 is baroque.

Savage Henry
May 20, 2005, 06:56 AM
I don't think you will ever see the old design back. My guess is Apple is making more profit on the G5 even though they charge less. I bet it is a lot cheaper to build.
That is what I've always said to the G4-design-philes, although the opinions of which I entirely understand. But on top of the improved build costs, I'd wager that the packaging, warehousing and shipping of the G5s must be saving them a groat or two as well. If I wanted to I could fold myself up in the box that my 17" G4 came in and live inside it, albeit uncomfortably, for a good couple of hours. Whereas I can only get one of my legs in the packaging box of my 20" G5.

Try it....you know you want to find out if I'm right! ;)

iGary
May 20, 2005, 07:13 AM
I think if I buy one more piece of Macintosh Hardware as decoration, the significant other is going to flip. :eek:

SilverLight
May 20, 2005, 08:16 AM
I like the iMac G4 design a little more than the G5,but I love how the G5 is so easy to upgrade.
If you want G4 functionality on the new iMac's you could always buy the iNeck (http://www.iNeck.com)

wow that iNeck looks great....debating to get it for my new 17"

ct77
May 20, 2005, 08:22 AM
It was actually the G4 iMac hardware that made me first consider switching away from Windows. I saw it in the Macworld keynote and thought "WOW!".

As soon as I realized OS X could give me a Unix shell and the ability to run MS Office on the same box, I was sold, and I became a Mac user in March 2002.

So I have a certain affection for the G4 iMac form factor... and I was a little sad to see it retired... but at the same time, I really dislike how difficult it is to upgrade the hard drive.

How's that for sitting on the fence! :D

BenAKL
May 20, 2005, 04:32 PM
.....I prefer the iLamp too :D though the current iMac isn't that bad either. Just too much white surrounding the display. I' much prefer a thin bezel......

Agreed, hence I'm sellling my 17" iMac which I only got like 3 weeks ago for the 20". :D A bigger screen would make the surrounding slightly thinner. Going to pair it with a BT keyboard and mouse and fit a VESA mount to it. As close as I can get to the iLamp :)

Now, where can I find a really cool arm for it? :confused:

Alex Duggan
May 20, 2005, 05:43 PM
Have to agree! The 20" suits ths iMac design much more than the 17" - looks way too big on that!

gMac
May 20, 2005, 06:35 PM
Hard to believe that my 17-inch G4 800 MHz was the top of line iMac two and a half years ago. I'd love to have a G5 but I would hate to give up this form factor.

The pivot and tilt are OK but what I would really miss is the ability to raise and lower the display. I have lousy posture and like to slouch back and pull the screen out and down while I scroll through long articles and emails.

I Wish there was a way to hook a PowerMac to this machine and use it as a monitor.

SteveC
May 20, 2005, 06:48 PM

http://www.ps-elettronica.it/media/apple/imacg4_20.jpg
Put a Tiger screen shot in the pic and it'll hold more weight. ;)

Maxiseller
May 20, 2005, 07:09 PM
Well, in my opinion both are gorgeous computers in their own right.

Its a shame they can't drop the emac as it currently stands, replace it with a 15-17" cheap LCD and design it very similar to the iMac.

The G4 iMac was very much a complete image for Apple - and there are so many countless films, commercials and other media related outings that show it off. It's become a standpoint, and I have to say when I first heard about it going, I was mightilty dissapointed.

Still, all those in favour of a G5?

jsalzer
May 20, 2005, 07:16 PM
The iMacG4 is still growing on me, but it isn't quite there yet.

But, my question is this:

When Ford tires of a model, it slaps a Mercury emblem on it, makes a few minor changes, and keeps selling it.

Apple's a hardware company with a fabulous design team. Why don't they take their retired Mac models and sell Wintels in that design under a subsidiary name?

All it can do is help. Apple gets a subsidiary that gains a rep as a high-class PC maker. Since you're giving them your retired models, Apple remains "ahead of the curve" on design.

I like it!

jaw04005
May 20, 2005, 08:32 PM
The internal makeup of the iMac G5 is revolutionary, however the design of chasis is not.

Remember Steve showing a design similar to the iMac G5 when the iMac G4 was introduced, and stating how that was not what Apple was going to do because the vertical optical drive would operate too slowly?

Then a few years later ironically, Steve declares the iMac G5 form factor the greatest thing ever... "designed by the team that made the iPod." :rolleyes:

Talk about hype! The iMac G5 form factor was a conceptual design back before the iMac G4 was released. Although much prettier than the average PC, in my opinion the iMac G5 is not as revolutionary as the iMac G4 or even the original iMac.

Now that I said that, I think it is a kick ass machine for the price and I plan on ordering one within the next month to replace my ageing iMac G4 800Mhz. ;)

jaw04005
May 20, 2005, 08:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my iPod and I realize it is now a large part of Apple. However, I don't want to see future Macs based on its design or compared to its design. They are completely different products.