Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY
Hey folks - anyone else experience this?

My MBA (late 2010) will occasionally emit a loud chirp when I'm streaming video. It usually happens only when I've been streaming for a while and will start off with a rare loud chirp, then get progressively quicker - after an hour of watching TWiT, I'm hearing the chirp every few minutes.

Not sure how I can really describe the sound - it's not a motherboard beep. It's louder and much more distorted than that. But it doesn't last very long - say half a second or so. It's volume is always at the same level - completely independent of the volume control.

Really annoying - everytime it happens I jump like scared cat. It's just so abrupt and loud...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Really annoying - everytime it happens I jump like scared cat.
That's why it does it: to see you jump! :D It's just your MBA, amusing itself!

Does it happen only when streaming video? The same video, or any? The same video source, or any?

FutureBlake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
New York, NY
That's why it does it: to see you jump! :D It's just your MBA, amusing itself!

Does it happen only when streaming video? The same video, or any? The same video source, or any?

No joke - I'm just glad it hasn't been witnessed by anyone else at this point. :eek:

It happens anytime I'm streaming any video for a long period of time. I thought it may have something to do with heat, but the fan isn't even kicking into it's highest RPM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.