PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases 4.4.3 Software Update for Apple TV [Updated]

MacRumors
Nov 17, 2011, 12:40 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/17/apple-releases-4-4-3-software-update-for-apple-tv/)

Apple today pushed out a new 4.4.3 software update for the Apple TV, although the company has yet to specify what improvements are included in the update.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/09/apple_tv_black.jpg
The new release, which arrives as Build 9A4051, comes on the heels of a series of releases (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/24/apple-releases-apple-tv-software-4-4-2-to-resolve-updating-issues/) last month that started with version 4.4 to include support for iCloud's Photo Stream feature as well as several other additions but which required several minor follow-up updates to resolve issues.

Update: Apple has updated its release notes (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448) to reveal that the 4.4.3 update adds support for Netflix streaming in Mexico and an audio output issue when the connected television set is turned off.Netflix: Added support for Netflix in Mexico.
Audio Output: Addresses an issue in which audio may not play through the optical port when the TV is turned off.

Article Link: Apple Releases 4.4.3 Software Update for Apple TV [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/17/apple-releases-4-4-3-software-update-for-apple-tv/)

scottdot
Nov 17, 2011, 12:43 PM
It's about time!

...wait...what? :rolleyes:

Cackeezy
Nov 17, 2011, 12:45 PM
Gotta be for iTunes Match

aduteau
Nov 17, 2011, 12:47 PM
Any new features added like last time (WSJ Live and NHL) ?

billystlyes
Nov 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
Wow, HBOGO, Spotify and Hulu Plus! I can only wish...

UnseenLlama
Gotta be for iTunes Match

You were able to setup iTunes Match prior to this update. I'm going with Hulu Plus being added... :D

BC2009
Currently Apple TV is excluding certain playlists from my iTunes match that are uploaded to iCloud according to iTunes. I'm hoping this fixes that problem.

KindredMAC
Nov 17, 2011, 01:08 PM
There isn't going to be anything to see here... it's a x.x.3 update.
I just would like Netflix to behave itself and make it so I don't have to restart my AppleTV three times a week because of bugs.

Laird Knox
Nov 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
Lately I have been getting some stuttering with iPad video mirroring. Fingers crossed.

Caliber26
Nov 17, 2011, 01:15 PM
I hope this update allows optical audio output, without having to keep your TV powered on. This option was there when I first got my ATV2 but it was lost once I upgraded to 4.3.

klrobinson999
Nov 17, 2011, 01:17 PM
My Apple TV reset itself after the update and lost all log-in info. I have to re-enter my iTunes account, password, set up home sharing, re-enter my Netflix & YouTube info, etc. etc. All the saved info was lost completely. It was basically a hard restore.

MattG
Nov 17, 2011, 01:18 PM
My Apple TV reset itself after the update and lost all log-in info. I have to re-enter my iTunes account, password, set up home sharing, re-enter my Netflix & YouTube info, etc. etc. All the saved info was lost completely. It was basically a hard restore.

Same here, for both of mine.

tarasis
Nov 17, 2011, 01:18 PM
I hope this update allows optical audio output, without having to turn on your TV. This option was there when I first got my ATV2 but it was lost once I upgraded to 4.3.

Ah, now that's a shame. I didn't understand why it didn't do that. Particularly if you are using StreamToMe to play music to the ATV2, it transmits it as a video file (or seems to as audio will not play if screen off).

davidwarren
Nov 17, 2011, 01:19 PM

oh man, were you on 4.4.2? I don't want to have to do this for every update.

Caliber26
Nov 17, 2011, 01:26 PM

I just updated and it didn't lose any of my log-in info. It's all there. :)

Although, that DID happen to me on the last update. Weird.

tarasis
Nov 17, 2011, 01:27 PM
From 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 went fine. All home sharing, YouTube and video details still intact.

Lancetx
Nov 17, 2011, 01:27 PM
4.4.3 Release Notes:

Added support for Netflix in Mexico.
Addresses an issue in which audio may not play through the optical port when the TV is turned off.

Weaselboy
Nov 17, 2011, 01:44 PM

I went from 4.4.2 to this new update and did not lose my settings. I suspect those losing settings are going from an earlier version that did cause a reset of everything.

ibri
Nov 17, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hooray! I was wondering what had caused my sudden problem of not being able to play audio through the optical port with the TV off. I thought it was either an iOS 5 AirPlay bug or the last Apple TV update.

czardmitri
Nov 17, 2011, 01:50 PM
My AppleTV downloaded that update the night before the iTunes Match release. Let's see that would have been Sunday night.

segfaultdotorg
Nov 17, 2011, 03:49 PM
Safari seems snappier.

Peace
Nov 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
The purchased TV portion is layed out differently now.

SandboxGeneral
Nov 17, 2011, 04:20 PM
Safari seems snappier.

How is that? There is no Safari on Apple TV2.

fpnc
Nov 17, 2011, 04:35 PM
I was expecting this since I noted that last week when Apple released the official version of iTunes Match they recommended that iTunes Match be turned OFF on the Apple TV (while explaining how to enable it for all other devices). Thus, it seems likely that this release also included fixes for iTunes Match (although not specifically mentioned by Apple).

Peace
Nov 17, 2011, 05:28 PM
Another thing I found in this update.

It used to be when you played streaming music from an IOS device to the Apple TV the TV would show a blank music icon.

Now when you stream music to an Apple TV connected to a HDTV the TV is blank thus saving screen burn.

At least it's this way if you have a Toslink cable running from the Apple TV to an amplifier.

JBmac
Nov 17, 2011, 05:34 PM
Since the last upgrade I have to keep my iPad awake when I use Airplay to my TV. I used to be able to close the cover, and just click on the play button on the remote when it stopped as I closed the cover. Actually it is the same on the iPad 1, and iPad 2. Hope that is fixed!

tarasis
Nov 17, 2011, 05:39 PM
Since the last upgrade I have to keep my iPad awake when I use Airplay to my TV. I used to be able to close the cover, and just click on the play button on the remote when it stopped as I closed the cover. Actually it is the same on the iPad 1, and iPad 2. Hope that is fixed!

I only get that with some apps, like for instance with the BBC iPlayer app, however StreamToMe plays over AirPlay perfectly with the iPad asleep

JBmac
Nov 17, 2011, 06:22 PM
I only get that with some apps, like for instance with the BBC iPlayer app, however StreamToMe plays over AirPlay perfectly with the iPad asleep

PBS App is the one for me.

fpnc
Nov 17, 2011, 06:49 PM
The purchased TV portion is layed out differently now.
Not that I could see and I made pictures of the layout in v4.4.2 before I updated to 4.4.3.

In fact, the only visible difference I could find in the GUI was in the Music/iTunes Match menu where the "About iTunes Match" item no longer appears. Before, when you had iTunes Match turned OFF the Music menu had two entries, one entitled "About iTunes Match" and the other which was "Turn iTunes Match On." Now, it just has "Turn iTunes Match On" (but this behavior could depend upon whether you are a member of iTunes Match, but for me the menu changed between v4.4.2 and v4.4.3).

Also, the update automatically turned iTunes Match back ON after I had previously turned the service OFF as per Apple's recommendation of last week. After iTunes Match is turned on the Music menu just has one entry entitled "iCloud" (however, my Apple TV is still reporting that iTunes Match is "preparing [my] iCloud library -- this may take a few minutes..." and it's been saying that for well over one hour).

Interestingly, after having jointed the iTunes Match service under the beta program I have not yet re-enabled it on my Mac since they purged all of my uploaded content just this past week. Thus, I don't know what they are trying to prepare, since I have no uploaded content in iCloud (could be a bug caused by my participation in the beta program -- Apple may not be handling the updates for the beta users correctly).

Also, all of my settings were preserved over the update to 4.4.3 (except for turning iTunes Match back on, which appeared to happen automatically).

Alx9876
Nov 17, 2011, 07:01 PM
Home sharing still broken. What gives? :confused:

tarasis
Nov 18, 2011, 12:57 AM
Home sharing still broken. What gives? :confused:

Broken in what way? I use it all the time.

Alx9876
Nov 18, 2011, 04:42 AM
Broken in what way? I use it all the time.

Ever since the first update of the last three I have not been able to use home share anymore.

I have successfully used home sharing from my iMac to my Apple tv for over a year and half.

But in the last 4 weeks I cannot get it to work. I have reset my router, modem, rebooted iMac, rebooted Apple tv, signed in/out of both iMac and Apple tv and even till now after today's update crap does not work.

I am stressing out. I tried everything I could to trouble shoot it. I might even schedule a genius appointment as I am out of ideas.

I shot an email over to Apple as well. Still sorting this out. Posting here on Macrumors in the meantime. :confused:

marc11
Nov 18, 2011, 07:23 AM
Have you double checked that Home Sharing was still enabled within iTunes and iTunes is running? I know it sounds obvious, but sometimes the most obvious things are the ones we over look.

PassMeAGuinness
Nov 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
I hope this update allows optical audio output, without having to keep your TV powered on. This option was there when I first got my ATV2 but it was lost once I upgraded to 4.3.

Well, did it fix it for you ? thanks.

OneMike
Nov 18, 2011, 08:40 AM

I hope this as well. will test out tonight.

Caliber26
Nov 18, 2011, 09:10 AM
Well, did it fix it for you ? thanks.

Yes, it did! Back to how it was when I first got it. It'll start AirPlaying audio even with the TV being OFF.

jent
Nov 18, 2011, 03:16 PM
I doubt Apple will add Hulu Plus support but if they did I would both buy an Apple TV and sign up for the paid Hulu Plus subscription.

Until then, I'll stick to Netflix on my iPad and the free Hulu service on my laptop.

Aztec Fight
Nov 18, 2011, 07:10 PM
I doubt Apple will add Hulu Plus support but if they did I would both buy an Apple TV and sign up for the paid Hulu Plus subscription.

Until then, I'll stick to Netflix on my iPad and the free Hulu service on my laptop.

I know this is an apple forum but why not get a ROKU? has both Netflix and Hulu+

i have both a Roku and an :apple:TV as i have a large iTunes movie collection but also enjoy my hulu plus.

another option is to stream Hulu+ via airplay to your Apple TV

lexusford
Nov 19, 2011, 03:21 AM
Well now my Apple TV is a brick. Guess I will have to be going to the genius bar.

needthephone
Nov 19, 2011, 05:35 AM
Ever since the first update of the last three I have not been able to use home share anymore.

I have successfully used home sharing from my iMac to my Apple tv for over a year and half.

But in the last 4 weeks I cannot get it to work. I have reset my router, modem, rebooted iMac, rebooted Apple tv, signed in/out of both iMac and Apple tv and even till now after today's update crap does not work.

I am stressing out. I tried everything I could to trouble shoot it. I might even schedule a genius appointment as I am out of ideas.

I shot an email over to Apple as well. Still sorting this out. Posting here on Macrumors in the meantime. :confused:

Same with me. I have two atv2's and the one I updated won't connect to home share or iTunes store but the other still at 4.3 works fine. There's no way I'm updating the one which works

JT in Montreal
Nov 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
Same with me. I have two atv2's and the one I updated won't connect to home share or iTunes store but the other still at 4.3 works fine. There's no way I'm updating the one which works

Same here... could not load my iTunes library after updating (though it did see my computer). Went back into the general settings and saw that it still said an update was available for my AppleTV. Re-did the update and all is fine now.

lexusford
Nov 19, 2011, 10:36 PM
after I did the update, I had to do a re-set on my unit. Now everything is back to normal.

Swift
Nov 20, 2011, 01:53 PM
I had downloaded two updates so far in this series, and saw little for them. Wasn't it this version that you could finally turn on iCloud and iTunes Match? At any rate, I found it and turned it on for the first time. I have, now, all my movies available in Home Sharing, all the purchased music available in iTunes Match, and will there not be all your purchased movies available very soon?

Think of it, if you could get a high-quality version of your cracked DVDs and maybe some other ones in the same way that iTunes Match did? I wonder if the movie business just won't accept this, or if the bandwidth necessary for HD streaming from the cloud just too expensive or difficult.

kizaw
Nov 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
After my update Netflix won't let me log in. :mad:

parapup
Nov 21, 2011, 07:42 AM
Darn it, still doesn't AirPlay music through optical out when tv is shut off. What was fixed again?

Glideslope
Nov 21, 2011, 08:21 AM
No ability to turn off Match in 4.3? Forget it Tim. :apple:

tank!
Nov 21, 2011, 09:52 AM
I think it fixed Photostream. Now all, and not some, of my Photostream pictures come up during the slideshow. Good job Apple.

reggoboy
Nov 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
One feature I don't recall seeing before the recent update is faint movie "arrows" on the thumbnails even when the thumbnail is not selected.

Prior to this update, I could only see the arrow indicating the clip was a movie by actually sliding the selection directly over each thumbnail.

This is a great improvement. Now I'd like to see the slideshow support showing movies inline with all the photos. Right now, you have to hunt and play each video clip manually :-(

Dave

Kaiserent
Nov 26, 2011, 08:34 AM
Help!
The new update actually removed several apps from my AppleTV. I no longer have the TV show category, NHL Gamecenter or Netflix.
I can't find any way to resolve this issue. In the settings section, it lists the software at 4.4.3.
What do I do?