PDA

View Full Version : 1.25GB of ram enough for my iMac 1.8?

Willy S
May 20, 2005, 03:24 PM
Is there much real world difference between 1.25 and 2GB of ram? I will occationally use Photoshop and iMovie.

Im thinking of buying a crucial 1 or 2 1GB sticks. Im also saving for a second mac to replace my pc so I will have to wait a bit longer for my second mac if I buy 2GB of ram.

Cheers!

Balin64
May 20, 2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, for what you describe 1 GB should be sufficient. I bought my iMac G5 with a 1GB stick and it handled PS and iMovie extremely well. I then started doing more intensive things (working from home) so I placed another 1GB stick and off we went! My iMac is cruising along just fine with the bigger files (200-300 MB Illustrations and Photoshop files).

What might be more beneficial than the RAM at first, might be a reliable FW external hard drive. PS works best with a scratch disk that is not your boot drive, and if you really get into iMovie, your internal HD will fill up fast.

Cheers and Welcome!

PS: Don't be scared by my avatar. I am not evil... well, sometimes I am but I'm sorry! :(

minimax
May 20, 2005, 03:40 PM
Basically what you are asking is:
'can I read my book from a desk or do I need something larger to view all content?'

~Shard~
May 20, 2005, 04:20 PM
For what you need, 1 GB or 1.25 GB is plenty. You won't notice a huge difference if you move to 2 GB, so I would say it's not worth the money for an upgrade. If you get more into video edting, etc., it might become more relevant, but for now, I wouldn't worry about it.