PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC 7 any good?

imac abuser
May 20, 2005, 05:15 PM
Has anyone used Virtual PC 7? If so how do you feel about it? I heard that it's a ram hog but other then that is it ok?

hodgjy
May 20, 2005, 05:18 PM
Has anyone used Virtual PC 7? If so how do you feel about it? I heard that it's a ram hog but other then that is it ok?

It will run your Windows programs fine, but don't expect too much speed. It does what it's supposed to do--get your Windows up on a Mac. If you really need Windows performance, use a Windows machine. VPC works, but it's slow. Not painfully slow, but slow enough you'll know it's emulation.

JeDiBoYTJ
May 20, 2005, 05:53 PM
it basically runs as fast as a 200mhz pentium machine. It will run small apps fine, but larger apps will either not load, or run very very slow.

kiwi-in-uk
May 20, 2005, 05:55 PM
Yes it hogs RAM, and it hogs processor cycles.
I use it only when I have to - for MS Project and MS Visio - where there is no other really good alternative and compatibility is crucial.

Why do you ask?

James Philp
May 20, 2005, 05:57 PM
Don't run it in tiger either!

daveL
May 20, 2005, 05:59 PM
it basically runs as fast as a 200mhz pentium machine. It will run small apps fine, but larger apps will either not load, or run very very slow.
How on earth can you say that when you don't even know what Mac the OP has? I use VPC on a 1 GHz TiBook and it runs fine. No, it isn't fast, but it does the job, including producing 3D Excel charts. I run a client app for realtime servers performance monitoring with VPC, and it is perfectly useable.

daveL
May 20, 2005, 06:00 PM
Don't run it in tiger either!
Why? I'm running it in Tiger. The only issue is the virtual switch feature, which most users wouldn't need anyway.

homerjward
May 20, 2005, 06:05 PM
quick vpc question (well 2) if i have win 98 sitting around can i use that with vpc 7? if i just needed to build sites in frontpage (long story why) would the performance be at least comparable to a 450mhz pIII with 128mb of ram? (lol 3 i guess) edu-priced vpc? :o

Scottyk9
May 20, 2005, 06:06 PM
I think the critical question is what you are thinking of using it for. There are many opinions regarding the best approach (VPC vs remote desktop to a windows box), but for non-graphic intensive applications, it runs reasonably well - and on my dual 2.5, I would even to venture to say the speed issue isn't too bad at all for the apps I am forced to use. (and works well under Tiger except for the virtual switch networking, which isn't needed for most)

James Philp
May 20, 2005, 06:09 PM
Why? I'm running it in Tiger. The only issue is the virtual switch feature, which most users wouldn't need anyway.
Oh, i thought the problems were bigger than this, sorry! :)

Scottyk9
May 20, 2005, 06:09 PM
quick vpc question (well 2) if i have win 98 sitting around can i use that with vpc 7? if i just needed to build sites in frontpage (long story why) would the performance be at least comparable to a 450mhz pIII with 128mb of ram? (lol 3 i guess) edu-priced vpc? :o

yes, you can use other install CDs - would suggest staying away from xp if you can, win2000 the best. While win98 will work, I have heard that some features will not work with win98 - mostly related to how easy it is to work between the two OS's (like cutting and pasting, etc.)

As for speed, what hardware are you using? There is a large difference between a 1.25 G4 and dual 2.5 G5.

JeDiBoYTJ
May 20, 2005, 06:12 PM
How on earth can you say that when you don't even know what Mac the OP has? I use VPC on a 1 GHz TiBook and it runs fine. No, it isn't fast, but it does the job, including producing 3D Excel charts. I run a client app for realtime servers performance monitoring with VPC, and it is perfectly useable.

I never said it wasnt usable. I run it on a 1.5ghz AluBook and it runs what I need it to do to.

No matter what Mac you own, its not going to run any faster than a 200mhz pentium.

There was no need to attack my post like that :rolleyes:

homerjward
May 20, 2005, 06:13 PM
yes, you can use other install CDs - would suggest staying away from xp if you can, win2000 the best. While win98 will work, I have heard that some features will not work with win98 - mostly related to how easy it is to work between the two OS's (like cutting and pasting, etc.)

As for speed, what hardware are you using? There is a large difference between a 1.25 G4 and dual 2.5 G5.
sorry, keep forgetting i no longer have hardware in sig. 1.25 g4 emac with 768 ram

e˛Studios
May 20, 2005, 06:16 PM
Oh, i thought the problems were bigger than this, sorry! :)

without the "tiny deal" of the virtual switch your VPC session will have NO access to any network resources, i consider that a huge hang up. I really hope MS will release a fix for 6.1.1 and 7.1 VPC soon, im growing tired of having no network connection on my VPC sessions :( I believe this will also effect shared folders since its uses the shared sub-system, i havent tested it though. I just miss having a network connection since Tiger snapped the virtual switch in two with its teeth :D

Ed

daveL
May 20, 2005, 06:23 PM
without the "tiny deal" of the virtual switch your VPC session will have NO access to any network resources, i consider that a huge hang up. I really hope MS will release a fix for 6.1.1 and 7.1 VPC soon, im growing tired of having no network connection on my VPC sessions :( I believe this will also effect shared folders since its uses the shared sub-system, i havent tested it though. I just miss having a network connection since Tiger snapped the virtual switch in two with its teeth :D

Ed
VPC networking does work under Tiger. I just used it yesterday. The default VPC network option is "shared network", which works fine. VPC simply piggybacks on top of the OS X network stack. Virtual Switch has to be selected as the network setting, which allows you to have a unique IP address for VPC. Most users wouldn't need this functionality. Anyway, as I said, VPC networking does work under Tiger.

e˛Studios
May 20, 2005, 06:32 PM
VPC networking does work under Tiger. I just used it yesterday. The default VPC network option is "shared network", which works fine. VPC simply piggybacks on top of the OS X network stack. Virtual Switch has to be selected as the network setting, which allows you to have a unique IP address for VPC. Most users wouldn't need this functionality. Anyway, as I said, VPC networking does work under Tiger.

I'm using 6.1.1 and Tiger and even with shared i get no network functionality :(

Ed

daveL
May 20, 2005, 06:44 PM
I'm using 6.1.1 and Tiger and even with shared i get no network functionality :(

Ed
Oh. The OP said VPC 7, so I just assumed that's what you were running on Tiger. I haven't run VPC 6 in some time.

Makosuke
May 22, 2005, 05:17 AM
I pretty much use it for previewing sites in IE, and v7 actually runs pretty quickly on a dual 2.0 G5--at least as fast as some of the archaic machines (~333 P2s) where I work. Actually, I've even been able to watch some video files (had a couple of ancient i263 vids for which there is no Mac codec), so long as I use an efficient player. As has been pointed out, the lack of Virtual Switch networking under Tiger is no loss for most users, and I've seen no issues myself.