PDA

View Full Version : WTF, 3 weeks old powerbook, one key fall off?!!!

PBG4
May 20, 2005, 05:53 PM
i just noticed my 3 weeks old powerbook, the "+" key just popped out?
whats up w/ that?
apple factory warranty should be able to fix this correct? if i take back to the apple store?!!!(where i purchased the computer from)

JeDiBoYTJ
May 20, 2005, 05:56 PM
they should fix it, unless they see it as being you at fault (applecare doesnt cover accidental damage as far as I know).

And, AFAIK, im not sure if they can replace the key in the apple store, since the powerbook keys are not the snap off kind that normal keyboards are, they are basically stuck.

Best thing I can say is just call your local apple store and ask them what to do about a broken powerbook key.

patrick0brien
May 20, 2005, 06:06 PM
-PBG4

Apple store should do it. It appears that one of the scissor-snap risers lost a pin. It's rare - usually comes from a malformed pin at manufacture. Very rare, but very easy fix.

PBG4
May 20, 2005, 06:22 PM
thanks.
now im really thinking buying a set of wireless keyboard and mouse to reduce the wear on the keypads

patrick0brien
May 20, 2005, 06:26 PM
thanks.
now im really thinking buying a set of wireless keyboard and mouse to reduce the wear on the keypads

-PBG4

Oh, don't worry about wear for the scissor lifts, normally they'll outlast the alloys of the machine itself - very tough.

What I personally worry about is my fingertips polishing the nice matte finish away on highly used keys :D

puckhead193
May 20, 2005, 07:05 PM
thanks.

The wireless keyboard and mouse are great!!