PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 12-inch RevA 867mhz - Max RAM?

LimeiBook86
May 21, 2005, 02:41 AM
I would like to know the Max RAM on my PowerBook. I know I have 128mb soldered onto the machine and an additional 512mb on-board. But I would like to know if I can maybe ditch the 512mb stick and add a 1gb stick. I know this would be costly probably so i'd like to hear about some user experience. I had a nice chat at the Apple store and he said that it might work but it may vary from one brand to the other. He said it's officially able to support up to 640mb of ram (which is what I have now) but he said he's almost sure that you can probably use a 1gb stick of RAM.

Has anyone added 1gb to their PowerBook? I would hate to spend a lot of money and find out it doesn't work. Any thoughts would be great! :D

P.S:Sorry for the flood of posts tonight folks but. I've been waiting to ask a bunch of questions. hehe ;)

mad jew
May 21, 2005, 02:45 AM
I can't imagine there'd be a problem because the original G4 iBooks are in the same boat and there are quite a few companies advertising 1GB sticks for them, implying it'll probably work. Of course, the iBook and PowerBook are different, but I'd still place money on it working well (assuming the RAM stick is cool).

Balin64
May 21, 2005, 03:04 AM
Yes.

The Rev A PB supports a 1GB RAM component. It will take you to 1.25 GB in System Profiler if I remember correctly. Good luck man!

Abstract
May 21, 2005, 05:54 AM
It won't take you to 1.25 GB.

It'll take your PB to 1.152 GB, but whatever.

joecool85
May 21, 2005, 06:50 AM
I wouldn't try it. I called apple asking the same thing since I'm in the same boat with a 12" 867 PB and already have it maxed at 640. The logic board supposedly won't recognize the 1gb chip as 1gb but rather as 512 still. As far as I know, no one has tried it yet. Or at least no one has posted about it working/not working on here anyway. If you do it, let us (me especially) know. I wouldn't mind having a 1.152gb of RAM.

AppleMatt
May 21, 2005, 07:31 AM
Loads of people have tried it and it works. The only reason they aren't listed as compatible is because the documentation was produced before they were available.

I'm pretty sure even Crucial lists 1GB chips for the Rev. A.

AppleMatt

joecool85
May 21, 2005, 05:42 PM
Loads of people have tried it and it works. The only reason they aren't listed as compatible is because the documentation was produced before they were available.

I'm pretty sure even Crucial lists 1GB chips for the Rev. A.

AppleMatt

Nope, I just checked to make sure I was right, and I am. Crucial does NOT list anything more than 512mb for a rev a PB. And I'm pretty sure loads of people haven't done it, I actually had posted on here asking the same thing a while ago and everyone told me it wouldn't work. Apple told me it wouldn't work and Crucial says it won't work. My guess is it won't work.

homerjward
May 21, 2005, 05:49 PM
ive seen plenty of reviews at newegg (god i plug their ram all the time) that have said a 1gb pc2100 stick works in a 867pb, specifically the low-end kingmax ram. havent tried it, but honestly don't see why it wouldn't work. apple still says the emac only takes 1gb of ram in 512 sticks but ive heard of people putting 1gb dimms in there and it being fine

LimeiBook86
May 21, 2005, 06:00 PM
Well I don't have the money for RAM now anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter much. I guess the only way to see if it works is to just install it and see for myself, I don't have the money to blow now so unless a friend or someone I know has a 1gb chip and it works with my Mac I'll buy the same thing and use it but until then. Thanks ;)

AppleMatt
May 21, 2005, 06:10 PM
Nope, I just checked to make sure I was right, and I am. Crucial does NOT list anything more than 512mb for a rev a PB. And I'm pretty sure loads of people haven't done it, I actually had posted on here asking the same thing a while ago and everyone told me it wouldn't work. Apple told me it wouldn't work and Crucial says it won't work. My guess is it won't work.

It definitely works.
Search Apple discussions, Macgames forums and Google.

AppleMatt
edit: and MacNN forums.

joecool85
May 21, 2005, 09:29 PM
I did do some searching, a bunch of people have said "yeah, it will work." But I've yet to see anyone say "I did it, here are my results." Show me some proof and I'll believe you, until then I believe apple...since they did design and produce the thing.

AppleMatt
May 21, 2005, 09:48 PM
I did do some searching, a bunch of people have said "yeah, it will work." But I've yet to see anyone say "I did it, here are my results." Show me some proof and I'll believe you, until then I believe apple...since they did design and produce the thing.

There are definitely are large number of posts and web-pages with 'proof'. I'm not going to show you, because why should I? If you doubt me, and apparently can't use google, that's fine. I've got nothing to gain by lying to you.
As for what Apple says, well they say that Tiger (and Panther) isn't compatible with 3rd party CPU upgrades. This 1GB situation isn't as sinister as that, it's just a documentation issue.

Prove it to yourself, buy a stick and put it in. It will work, and if it doesn't (which won't be an issue), send it back.

click (http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=13704&mfr=Apple&model=PowerBook+G4+12&Sys=13704-Apple-PowerBook+G4+12-inch+%28PC2100%29&distributor=0&submit1=Search)

AppleMatt (those guys know quite a lot about memory)

joecool85
May 22, 2005, 07:20 AM
You may be right. But if you are, why hasn't crucial shown that you can do that? And why do so many people on here ask about it but don't do it? I dunno. I guess it doesn't really matter because odds are that I won't be putting in a 1gb chip unless they get below $150 or so.

**edit**
Did a little research. If the rev a PB can take a 1gb stick and the only reason apple says it won't is because it wasn't out at that point, wouldn't a mini be able to take a 2gb stick? Nope...wrong. (http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/03/maxmini/index.php)

AppleMatt
May 22, 2005, 09:29 AM
$137:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208015

I know I've seen them for $99 somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Like I said, I've nothing to gain by lying to you. Believe me or not, it won't affect my day to day life. It works, and the fact that other RAM upgrades may or may not work is irrelevant - they are independent systems.

AppleMatt
edit: No way! Didn't even need to stray from these forums. First page of results from searching this forum for "PowerBook 867MHz 1GB", two conformations - one with pictures. I've done all I can do. link 1 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=111615&highlight=867MHZ+PowerBook+1GB) link 2 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=126451&highlight=867MHZ+PowerBook+1GB).

joecool85
May 22, 2005, 08:16 PM
You sir, are a genius. Well, maybe not genius, but you are right. I can't believe I only googled and didn't search on here...big "d'oh!" on my part. Thanks for the links.

LimeiBook86
May 23, 2005, 02:58 PM
Now I wish I had money to buy a 1gb chip, haha. :D