PDA

View Full Version : Xserve as home pc?

jessearl
May 21, 2005, 09:08 AM
Not knowing anything about servers, is it possible to run an Xserve as your home computer? Would there be any benefit to doing this? Would the speed of a server allow such a computer to have a longer anticipated life-span than the average three years for most computers?

Capt Underpants
May 21, 2005, 09:12 AM
I'd just get a powermac. They're pretty much as fast as xserves. I don't know about the xserve, but many servers are REALLY loud, which would be bad for home use.

Platform
May 21, 2005, 10:46 AM
Well the Xserev can have ECC memory.....can be sold with 16gig's of RAM from Apple...Two ethernet ports....1.2TB sorage...Rack mount :rolleyes: ;)

May 21, 2005, 11:04 AM
I have an Xserve G5. I would never consider using it as a home computer, its VERY loud. A PowerMac G5 is a much better option. :)

Platform
May 21, 2005, 11:07 AM
I have an Xserve G5. I would never consider using it as a home computer, its VERY loud. A PowerMac G5 is a much better option. :)

What do you use it for :confused:

PlaceofDis
May 21, 2005, 11:13 AM
to the original poster:

macs have a much longer lifespan than most pcs as it is, 4-6 years on average i would say.

Benjamindaines
May 21, 2005, 11:40 AM
to the original poster:

macs have a much longer lifespan than most pcs as it is, 4-6 years on average i would say.
I had a Quadra 610 running in perfect condition for 12 years

slipper
May 21, 2005, 11:43 AM
yes you can use the xserve but i know you need to install a video card. i dont know if a sound card needs to be installed also.

Church
May 21, 2005, 12:02 PM
I had a Quadra 610 running in perfect condition for 12 years

Performa 6115CD still works, only reason it's in it's box is because everyone in the house upgraded, and it's not really equipped to go onto high speed internet very well.... :(

May 21, 2005, 12:28 PM
What do you use it for :confused:

Managing internal VoIP communications and as a storage server. ;)

Mord
May 21, 2005, 01:07 PM
dont, the xserve can only use a pci gfx card, the cpu is slower and it costs more, and it's louder.

chv400
May 21, 2005, 03:00 PM
The XServe is a server not a home computer although it could be used as one I wouldnt reccomend it. The one at my school is as big as a coffe table although it is very thing it was meant to be stacked and put in some closet and be accesed not used. A powermac will be much more fendly to your desk space than a Xserve.

SpaceMagic
May 21, 2005, 04:08 PM
Well I was thinking of having 18 Xserves in rack so I can run SETI :p

hehe

No, seriously the g4 xserves were mind bogglingly loud. The G5 xserves aren't quite so loud but I certainly wouldn't recommend them for home use simply because your paying for server technologies (ecc ram, diagnostics systems, etc) which you wouldn't need.

javiercr
May 21, 2005, 04:48 PM
Not knowing anything about servers, is it possible to run an Xserve as your home computer? Would there be any benefit to doing this? Would the speed of a server allow such a computer to have a longer anticipated life-span than the average three years for most computers?

Last time i checked the xserve came with no graphics card or just a ATI RV100 64 MB RAM VGA/PCI graphics card (No AGP or PCI-e) with a VGA connector (not DVI)

superbovine
May 21, 2005, 05:23 PM

if you have to ask you shouldn't do it.

MoparShaha
May 22, 2005, 02:17 PM
As others have said, Xserves are HUGE, LOUD, and don't come with sound cards. I had one sitting around for a few weeks (I was setting it up for a school), and it was not pleasant using it on my desk.

http://img231.echo.cx/img231/7286/xserve2pt.jpg

5300cs
May 23, 2005, 07:47 AM
I have one, too; the original 1Ghz model. DON'T use it as a desktop computer, it's WAY too loud. :(