PDA

View Full Version : mic monster

coopdog
Oct 13, 2002, 02:23 PM
There seems to be a problem with my sound card. It plays audio fine but i have been tring to get a mic to work with no luck. I have tried 3 different mic's. I left the sound control pannel open so i could see the sound level of the mic and if it was working. When ever i plugin or unplug a mic the sound level maxs then goes down to nothing and the mic doesn't work.

Is there a know problem in Jag or some patch i can install?
Thanks

Wes
Oct 13, 2002, 02:36 PM
Are you using a new powermac? I have heard of a few problems with that, and I have been suffereing from it myself.

Wes
Oct 13, 2002, 02:43 PM
I checked you profile, it says you have g4 350, so I can't help you there sorry...

coopdog
Oct 13, 2002, 02:45 PM
No, it's a classic G4 350 running jag. I might go out and get a USB mic. Apple makes a iMic that plugs into USB and has input and output if your sound card doesn't work. It's $35.

Wes
Oct 13, 2002, 02:47 PM
Yeah I have one of those, but I would prefer to use a line-in mic.

alex_ant
Oct 13, 2002, 03:18 PM
I'm not familiar with the G4 350, but does it have both line-in and mic-in jacks? An unpowered microphone outputs a signal that is weaker than a standard line-level signal. If you're plugging your mic into a line-in, that would explain it: You hear/see a big burst of sound as the mic is plugged in, but after the electrical connection is made between the input jack and the mic, the mic is outputting too weak a signal for you to hear. In that case, if you don't have a mic input on your computer, you'd need a mic preamp to go between your mic and your computer. I know the iMic has a mic input built in.